• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana: Sea of Thieves is having a great start on PlayStation 5 in the US market.

daxgame

images

Yeah, I guess GaaS games will do fine on Playstation even if they are launched late. For single player games it does not work - so unless they launch them day 1, they should not bother.

Considering that it requires XBL, I wonder how many new users will Microsoft will get. I think a lot of them already have Microsoft accounts, but maybe there are some new users too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess GaaS games will do fine on Playstation even if they are launched late. For single player games it does not work - so unless they launch them day 1, they should not bother.

Considering that it requires XBL, I wonder how many new users will Microsoft will get. I think a lot of them already have Microsoft accounts, but maybe there are some new users too.
How won't single player games work? Pretty much all Playstation exclusive games are single player games. Games like Fable and Gears 6 would sell incredibly well, even a year later on PS5

What the Xbox community doesn't understand is that there are a lot more gamers that only have a PS5 compared to Xbox gamers that only having an Xbox. It's one of the big reasons why Sony doesn't feel the need to port their games to Xbox. There is a very good chance most Xbox users have a PC or PS5 anyways. The 25mil Xbox consoles is even smaller than it seems

Last edited:
How won't single player games work? Pretty much all Playstation exclusive games are single player games. Games like Fable and Gears 6 would sell incredibly well, even a year later on PS5
No. We see time and time again, that when games are not launched day 1, they are not doing great at all. And we see it across all the platforms - from consoles to PC.

Fundamentally, the issue is FOMO - at launch, you have FOMO. Later - you don't have it anymore because by the time the game arrives months, year later you have other games available or other new games in the plain sight. With GaaS - by nature - they are evergreen all the time due to constant updates. Each new update is basically creates FOMO (albeit on a lower level than a new game launch). But for example with Endwalker, it was a huge event for FF14, despite the game release being multiple years before.

What the Xbox community doesn't understand is that there are a lot more gamers that only have a PS5 compared to Xbox gamers that only having an Xbox. It's one of the big reasons why Sony doesn't feel the need to port their games to Xbox. There is a very good chance most Xbox users have a PC or PS5 anyways. The 25mil Xbox consoles is even smaller than it seems.
And what PS (online community) does not understand is that those people play nothing but popular games like Fortnite, COD, Minecraft, GTA, Rocket League etc. Everything else sells like 3-5m with some notable exceptions that are well known IPs like GoW. I do curious how people will try to move the goalposts with the upcoming Sony earning reports.

Last edited:
No. We see time and time again, that when games are not launched day 1, they are not doing great at all. And we see it across all the platforms - from consoles to PC.

Fundamentally, the issue is FOMO - at launch, you have FOMO. Later - you don't have it anymore because by the time the game arrives months, year later you have other games available or other new games in the plain sight. With GaaS - by nature - they are evergreen all the time due to constant updates. Each new update is basically creates FOMO (albeit on a lower level than a new game launch). But for example with Endwalker, it was a huge event for FF14, despite the game release being multiple years before.

And what PS (online community) does not understand is that those people play nothing but popular games like Fortnite, COD, Minecraft, GTA, Rocket League etc. Everything else sells like 3-5m with some notable exceptions that are well known IPs like GoW. I do curious how people will try to move the goalposts with the upcoming Sony earning reports.
You act like 3-5mil in sales is negligible. It's between 210mil-350mil in additional revenue generated for one game. It probably costs less than 10mil to even port the game. It's free money. Obviously they would only get 70% of that, but that is a shitload of missed revenue if they don't port games over.

Even if it was only 1-2 mil in PS5 sales, it is still a crazy ROI Microsoft would be making

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

You act like 3-5mil in sales is negligible. It's between 210mil-350mil in additional revenue generated for one game. It probably costs less than 10mil to even port the game. It's free money. Obviously they would only get 70% of that, but that is a shitload of missed revenue if they don't port games over
Lost revenue on console sales.
Lost revenue on XBL purchases.
Lost revenue on X.

You sure they are getting such a great deal?

A week when there was no competition sure, let's see how it does overall though. People keep jumping on these early numbers. I remember a lot of people making a big deal over Starfield jumping to the number 7 spot when it launched (ended up 11th for the year in the US) but it was behind Mortal Kombat1 both in the US and Globally at the end of the year and that game had only sold around 3 million copies at that point, if someone wants to pretend a game that was hyped to the moon by xbox fans selling fewer than 3 million copies is impressive that's up to them but I'm not buying it...I did buy starfield though just stopped playing it two weeks later.

Lost revenue on X.

But they get free money on gamepass subs, you know those games that are on the service don't cost them a thing to make right? they don't have to pay 3rd parties to add their games to GP either lol. Obviously I'm joking but it's clear Gamepass negatively impacts sales on most games especially AA and AAA titles.

Lost revenue on X.

Well, all the money men at Microsoft certainly believe that it would be a great deal. It is why Satya Nadella every other month is saying he wants to end all exclusivity. Do you think he would be saying that if it didn't make sense financially?

The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because Phil Spencer planted his flag just a few years ago about how important exclusives games are. And it would make Spencer and the Execs at Xbox look really bad if they did a complete 180. They are slow walking this strategy to save a little face, especially with their fanbase, but the path is set of where this is going

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
A week when there was no competition sure, let's see how it does overall though. People keep jumping on these early numbers. I remember a lot of people making a big deal over Starfield jumping to the number 7 spot when it launched (ended up 11th for the year in the US) but it was behind Mortal Kombat1 both in the US and Globally at the end of the year and that game had only sold around 3 million copies at that point, if someone wants to pretend a game that was hyped to the moon by xbox fans selling fewer than 3 million copies is impressive that's up to them but I'm not buying it...I did buy starfield though just stopped playing it two weeks later.

Not sure why you typed multiple paragraphs just to downplay this, but you forget Stellar Blade released April 26th? Helldivers 2 continues to sell quite well, and Manor Lords also released on PC that week.

Lol @ ‘no competition’

ElRenoRaven

This isn't surprising. The game has come a long way from when it launched. I played around a bit back in the days and gave up quick but now it's damn fun. I played with a co-worker and a friend of his last night and we were doing the Tall Tales and just having a blast. They were on Xbox consoles and me on my PS5 and all just having fun together.

clarky

Gold Member
Pretty sure Halo Infinite will be next. That game is decent these days and would get a healthy injection of new players with the headlines it would create.

Well, all the money men at Microsoft certainly believe that it would be a great deal. It is why Satya Nadella every other month is saying he wants to end all exclusivity. Do you think he would be saying that if it didn't make sense financially?
The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because Phil Spencer planted his flag just a few years ago about how important exclusives games are. And it would make Spencer and the Execs at Xbox look really bad if they did a complete 180. They are slowly adapting this strategy to save a little face, especially with their fanbase, but the path is set of where this is going
90% of the fanbase doesn't care though, a small minority do.

You act like 3-5mil in sales is negligible. It's between 210mil-350mil in additional revenue generated for one game. It probably costs less than 10mil to even port the game. It's free money. Obviously they would only get 70% of that, but that is a shitload of missed revenue if they don't port games over.

Even if it was only 1-2 mil in PS5 sales, it is still a crazy ROI Microsoft would be making
It is negligible because they game production is expensive and still growing. Keep in mind that the amount of sales haven't changed much for a lot of titles since 1990s. All while the development cost has grown tremendously. You can't argue that the cost of development of FF7 originally and its sales numbers generated much more profit relative to its development than FF7R (if any). Same game (or the next instalment) released 3-4 years and selling 5m generates less profit than the previous time it sold 5m. Even if we adjust game prices.

That's the reason why - aside huge publishers with recurring revenues - we see games and studios going down all the time and IPs being put on hold. SE is a notable example there too. Nintendo is an exception simply because their games is cheaper to produce and they continue selling them years after years with no discount. Mario Kart is basically GTA5 for Nintendo at this point.

Not sure why you typed multiple paragraphs just to downplay this, but you forget Stellar Blade released April 26th? Helldivers 2 continues to sell quite well, and Manor Lords also released on PC that week.

Lol @ ‘no competition’
And hilariously enough in the end Starfield reached top played at the end of the being the only single player game there :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
It is negligible because they game production is expensive and still growing. Keep in mind that the amount of sales haven't changed much for a lot of titles since 1990s. All while the development cost has grown tremendously. You can't argue that the cost of development of FF7 originally and its sales numbers generated much more profit relative to its development than FF7R (if any). Same game (or the next instalment) released 3-4 years and selling 5m generates less profit than the previous time it sold 5m. Even if we adjust game prices.

That's the reason why - aside huge publishers with recurring revenues - we see games and studios going down all the time and IPs being put on hold. SE is a notable example there too. Nintendo is an exception simply because their games is cheaper to produce and they continue selling them years after years with no discount. Mario Kart is basically GTA5 for Nintendo at this point.
FF7 rebirth cost between 150mil-200mil. A game like Fable or Gears 6 is surely around those costs as well. In no world would 200+mil in additional revenue for those games be viewed as "negligible". Microsoft could potentially offset development costs completely if those games released on PS5. just take the L

Last edited:
FF7 rebirth cost between 150mil-200mil. A game like Fable or Gears 6 is surely around those costs as well. In no world would 200+mil in additional revenue for those games be viewed as "negligible". Microsoft could potentially offset development costs completely if those games released on PS5. just take the L
Gears, sure.

Doubtful Fable will cost that much. Most MS stuff is AA category. Need to see the game first.

But of course, a properly successful AA title should sell 5 million these days. So any extra sales / platforms are good for the software.

Last edited:
Gears, sure.

Doubtful Fable will cost that much. Most MS stuff is AA category. Need to see the game first.

But of course, a properly successful AA title should sell 5 million these days. So any extra sales / platforms are good for the software.

It is 100% a AAA game. I actually think Playground games may be Microsoft's best developer, and all they are known for is Forza Horizon games. It's the only Xbox game that I am really looking forward to

Goalus

Gears, sure.

Fable looked AAA. (Obviously I am not talking about the attractiveness of the main character, but about the technical aspect.)

Ozriel

M$FT
Doubtful Fable will cost that much. Most MS stuff is AA category.

Aside from the smaller stuff like Grounded, Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush made by relatively small teams, pretty much everything else is AAA.

Only when Matt wants to push a narrative

The narrative being pushed here is that a game that had a great start on Xbox and Steam is off to a great start on PS5? :pie_roffles:

Mr Moose

Gears, sure.

AA? Do you know how much Richard Ayoade costs???

Aside from the smaller stuff like Grounded, Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush made by relatively small teams, pretty much everything else is AAA.
Maybe you have a different definition of AA, AAA.

Again, I am yet to see the game, what they showed was tech demo.

But I consider any game that costs like 50 million or so to be AA. You can make very impressive games for that budget.

Reason why I believe its gonna be in that ballpark is cause, they normally don’t spend more than that on most of their games.

Again, it could very well be AAA, 200 million+. I am guessing, thats all.

It is 100% a AAA game. I actually think Playground games may be Microsoft's best developer, and all they are known for is Forza Horizon games. It's the only Xbox game that I am really looking forward to

I have little faith it will be anything more than Ubi style game. RPGs I believe is one of the harder genre to pull off if you don’t have experience.

People are spoiled, something like Outer Worlds will be too much to pull off for majority of studios.

Ozriel

M$FT
Maybe you have a different definition of AA, AAA.

Again, I am yet to see the game, what they showed was tech demo.

But I consider any game that costs like 50 million or so to be AA. You can make very impressive games for that budget.

Reason why I believe its gonna be in that ballpark is cause, they normally don’t spend more than that on most of their games.

Maybe YOU have a different definition from the rest of the world. They’ve had a full team working on the game since 2019 at the latest. How in the world would you imagine a budget under $50 million?

Anything above $60 million is firmly in AAA territory.

Reason why I believe it’s gonna be in that ballpark is cause, they normally don’t spend more than that on most of their games.

Source?

Why are you so fixated on $200 million?

Top Bottom