• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New PS5 Pro GPU details emerge - including a 2.35GHz max boost clock

saintjules

Creating trailers is a massive workload for teams and games are already taking longer to develop.

The returns aren't worth it far in advance. Again they have the metrics on this.

While it would be my preference to have the old ways, times change.

I think I recall hearing/watching from TLOU2 Grounded that their trailers/reveals for one of the bigger events took like a year or something just to have it ready. Then there's other devs taking 6 months. Wild amounts of time nonetheless.

Yeah, developers graphs are one thing and actual performance is another. Avatar is one of those games where 6700 was faster than PS5, so no secret magic rendering here:

mtpRWLA.jpeg

It performs close to PC code despite not using PS/MS on PC. This game also runs good on RDNA2/3 so it's not typical Nvidia vs. AMD difference in RT (like Cyberpunk).
Avatar is a Ubisoft game. Last time I read an interview about console development they were saying they woud not use any bespoke hardware on any machine in order to keep their engines compatible between platforms.
Both PS5 and XBSX are early RDNA2 designs before AMD finalized RDNA2.
You can see the difference by looking at the CUs.

iImgo2M.jpeg

Regardless of how you guys feel, internally AMD, Sony and Microsoft had codename for these chips.
PS5:
Navi10 Lite = GFX1000/1001
Navi12 Lite = GFX1013/1014 (Major Revision)

XBSX:
Navi21 Lite = 1020

The GFX number can tell you where the chip lies in terms of development time frame.
KtQBUuy.jpeg

Notice RDNA1 GFX is in the 101X range while RDNA2 is in the GFX 103X range.

At the end of the day, the API is the determining factor the makes these chips different.
Yep XSX is not "true" RDNA2. Both PS5 and XSX are RDNA1.5

Last edited:

Loxus

What exactly does this clear up?
Did you even read?

It clears up PS5 RT IP 1.0 vs RDNA2 RT IP 1.1 and possibly what RT IP 3.0 and RT IP 4.0 could be.

RT IP 1.0 = PS5
RT IP 1.1 = Xbox and RDNA2 (Minor bug fix)
RT IP 2.0 = RDNA3
RT IP 3.0 = RDNA3.5?
RT IP 4.0 = PS5 Pro?
RT IP 5.0 = RDNA4

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Did you even read?

It clears up PS5 RT IP 1.0 vs RDNA2 RT IP 1.1 and possibly what RT IP 3.0 and RT IP 4.0 could be.

RT IP 1.0 = PS5
RT IP 1.1 = Xbox and RDNA2 (Minor bug fix)
RT IP 2.0 = RDNA3
RT IP 3.0 = RDNA3.5?
RT IP 4.0 = PS5 Pro?
RT IP 5.0 = RDNA4

Yes, I read the tweet and his first words state that he has "no clue" on the technical differences between 1.0 and 1.1. And he goes on to say his guessing on the missing 3.0 and 4.0. Don't understand why you're getting so defensive about this but I appreciate you sharing all the same.

Loxus

Yes, I read the tweet and his first words state that he has "no clue" on the technical differences between 1.0 and 1.1. And he goes on to say his guessing on the missing 3.0 and 4.0. Don't understand why you're getting so defensive about this but I appreciate you sharing all the same.
He goes on to say "AMD almost exclusively uses terms like .1 for minor bug fixes for partially unintended behavior." which is true.
So now we know there isn't any performance difference between 1.0 vs 1.1.

I don't think you've been reading this thread anyway. Cause you would have known that this clears up the small 1.0 vs 1.1 debate in this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom