• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut for PC | Review Thread

rm082e

I just caved in and bought the game because I have half of my friends praising it, but I'm secretly worried it may turn out to be another stinker wannabe-Assassin's Creed like Horizon.

I played about a dozen hours of it on PS5 before I got busy with work and haven't gotten back to it. I can say I felt it was very different from Horizon. The combat actually has some challenge to it in this game. It's not Souls level of challenge, but it's closer to that than Horizon or Assassin's Creed.

Kenpachii

What I experienced best was with hogwarts legacy going from 100 to close to 200. This really felt good.
around 40 base I felt the lag but it's been a few months since I tried it

I played hogwarts around the ~200 fps i believe with 300 in the castle with framegen on, so no clue how it feels without it. Maybe its just that game or something it had a bunch of stutters that messes with framegen.

rofif

Banned
I played hogwarts around the ~200 fps i believe with 300 in the castle with framegen on, so no clue how it feels without it. Maybe its just that game or something it had a bunch of stutters that messes with framegen.
yeah stutters aside of course. It stuttered a lot on release. buddy just got a 4080 back then so we did a lot of testing.
I played it on ps5

Three

Just why do he care? DLSS3 is used by a lot of people and most of them are happy with the added frames. And the added latency IS NOT PERCEPTIBLE. For real I would love to get some people here on my rig and ask them were it's with DLSS3 + FG and were it's not. I'm sure none of those "expert" could tell the difference. But rofif rofif needs to act like an ass and take everyone from his high horse, complaining about added latency when it is even WORSE on consoles. Just why? Let people play on whatever they want with the quality they want, no needs to act like 'I know, and I am, better than any of you". If someone if happy with + 10ms with also + 70FPS on his game, good for him! He wont FEEL the difference on latency, but he will SEE the fluidity.

So yeah, he searched for it and now he is playing the victim "everyone is mean with me 😭😭😭"
Why would anybody care? It's just an opinion about how those frames don't contribute to lower latency like they did in the past. One that can be countered with anybody elses opinion by simply saying "I don't mind the added latency because it improves fluidity" but instead I feel the people who are doing the "I am better than you" are those who try to drag in console comparisons that nobody was making. He may have the same opinion about framegen when it hits console soon enough.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
My last post was yesterday few pages back. Why am I still in your head?
I've only said what T Three T Three explained. The rest is answering to stupid accusations because "you are idiot u play 30fps console games". It's idiotic.
That's not it, like I said I hope you have the time of your life with your PS5! We just don't understand why you tolerate the latency on consoles at sub 30/60 FPS but can't stand the small added latency by DLSS3 FG (that you don't use, btw).

I have decades of pc gaming behind me. Who if not me is allowed to comment in thread like this?
Everyone dude, everyone can respond to the thread. You're so haughty, it's unbelievable

Monke sees bigger number = better
Tired The Middle GIF by ABC Network

This is really simple. And no. I don't want FG on consoles. I play on consoles exactly because I am allergic to all the pc bullshit.
And yet it's coming, and YOU'LL LOVE IT!

You pc gamers act all high and mighty about 30 fps or even 60ps to the point you don't even know what you are talking about.
And you act like FG is adding more latency in a game than it's console counterpart while the console version will always be worse.

you cannot accept the fact that I have the biggest pc experience out here and that's the reason I am turning down the pc experience.
That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

I chased framerates and perfect frametimes when I was a teenager. It doesn't matter anymore.
People played Ghost of tsushima in in 1080p30fps and had best times of their lives. if you need framegen, upscaling and 170fps to do so, that's your loss really.
What's the point of this? No one is saying THEY NEED 170+ fps dude. People are just happy with how it run. I do prefer to play at 4K/120 than 1080p/30 but you do you. Btw I finished GoT on my PS4 Pro, I bought it 4 days after the release:

1716036061595.jpg

Of course I used it.
45 to 90 is terrible. How can you even play like this.
Playing on consoles is terrible with input latency, frametimes, resolution and framerate inconsistencies. How can you even play like this.
See how it is a stupid comment?

Why would anybody care? It's just an opinion about how those frames don't contribute to lower latency like they did in the past. One that can be countered with anybody elses opinion by simply saying "I don't mind the added latency because it improves fluidity" but instead I feel the people who are doing the "I am better than you" are those who try to drag in console comparisons that nobody was making. He may have the same opinion about framegen when it hits console soon enough.
Omagad I don't know how it needs to be said but: he is complaining about latency with FG while it's WORSE ON CONSOLES. I hope it's big enough. How does that make sense?

rofif

Banned
exactly. I don't want FG on console at all. I am not envious about it contrary to what people would say. if I was, I would just get a 4080 tomorrow on monday. What's the big deal being envious if I have money not to be?! I have my choices and that's it.
My whole problem with this thread is how I managed to drag myself into the same discussions yet again. I should've never answered anything after my first post.
I always regret it

rofif

Banned
That's not it, like I said I hope you have the time of your life with your PS5! We just don't understand why you tolerate the latency on consoles at sub 30/60 FPS but can't stand the small added latency by DLSS3 FG (that you don't use, btw).

Everyone dude, everyone can respond to the thread. You're so haughty, it's unbelievable

Tired The Middle GIF by ABC Network

And yet it's coming, and YOU'LL LOVE IT!

And you act like FG is adding more latency in a game than it's console counterpart while the console version will always be worse.

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

What's the point of this? No one is saying THEY NEED 170+ fps dude. People are just happy with how it run. I do prefer to play at 4K/120 than 1080p/30 but you do you. Btw I finished GoT on my PS4 Pro, I bought it 4 days after the release:

1716036061595.jpg

Playing on consoles is terrible with input latency, frametimes, resolution and framerate inconsistencies. How can you even play like this.
See how it is a stupid comment?

Omagad I don't know how it needs to be said but: he is complaining about latency with FG while it's WORSE ON CONSOLES. I hope it's big enough. How does that make sense?
u ok bro?
I will only comment on your last bolded sentence.
People daily drive slow cars that are comfortable and suit them. Doesn't mean they don't like racing, watching nascar or driving a track.

sigmaZ

Just played a bit and... MY GOD does this look absolutely stunning. I played a few hours months ago on PS5 but it's so far improved it's astounding. I really regret getting a PS5 since every game I played on it is being released on PC in so much better quality.

rofif

Banned
Just played a bit and... MY GOD does this look absolutely stunning. I played a few hours months ago on PS5 but it's so far improved it's astounding. I really regret getting a PS5 since every game I played on it is being released on PC in so much better quality.
It's not improved visually. ps5 version was 4k60.
And feature-wise, ps5 and pc verisons are the same so far from comparisons.
I think you are misremembering it.
And it's not even that much different from a ps4 version to begin with people palyed years ago

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
u ok bro?
It's tiring to repeat the same thing over and over (3 times) so you finally understand. It took time.

I will only comment on your last bolded sentence.

People daily drive slow cars that are comfortable and suit them. Doesn't mean they don't like racing, watching nascar or driving a track.
Yeah, it's fine, good for you/them. But don't act like you are the better person, nor you know better than everyone (you don't, I'm telling you).
Framegen is good, and it has less latency than on consoles. Repeat after me Rofif.

Three

I'm not sure how it needs to be said but he isn't complaining about the absolute latency at all which is where this "I'm better than you" becomes absurd. It's like me complaining that the stated HDD capacity doesn't match what you get on the actual drive in Windows and then somebody saying "yeah but you often use a 256GB drive why are you complaining". He doesn't like framegen measurements of fps because it becomes misleading to measuring performance/latency and dislikes that it makes it worse in reality.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
It's tiring to repeat the same thing over and over (3 times) so you finally understand. It took time.

Yeah, it's fine, good for you/them. But don't act like you are the better person, nor you know better than everyone (you don't, I'm telling you).
Framegen is good, and it has less latency than on consoles. Repeat after me Rofif.
I repeat. I will play on console even if every future game is 30fps. It doesn't matter to me. Comparison to console is irrelevant!
I only wanted to critique fg itself.

rm082e

God damnit...you're going to make me double dip on this game... :messenger_unamused:

Fredrik

Besides, 30fps is totally fine. Motion blur is a good thing too when it's proper.
If you think 30fps is fine then why do you think motion blur is a good thing?? Sounds like you want the fluidity from a higher framerate. I assume you just don’t want the visual loss from scaling down graphics on hardware not powerful enough to reach a higher framerate.
DLSS FG will actually give you exactly what you want. Smooth motion without scaling down graphics.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I completely agree. I played both the ps4 and ps5 versions of this game and it looks and plays incredibly on PC. Makes me wonder what a sequel with ray tracing on PC could look like.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
If you think 30fps is fine then why do you think motion blur is a good thing?? Sounds like you want the fluidity from a higher framerate. I assume you just don’t want the visual loss from scaling down graphics on hardware not powerful enough to reach a higher framerate.
DLSS FG will actually give you exactly what you want. Smooth motion without scaling down graphics.
yes I know that.
When I had 240hz monitor, around 240fps/hz is when games like doom 2016 started matching 60fps with motion blur if you know what I mean.
We need a ton of frames in order to be able to create natural motion without the need of any motion blur. but at 30 and 60, motion blur is very useful or can be

Senua

Gold Member
And it's not even that much different from a ps4 version to begin with people palyed years ago
Ps5 version is checkerboarded 4k. PC has much better IQ with DLAA

Celcius

°Temp. member
PC version supports higher frame rates.
Plus I think there are settings that you can turn higher than the ps5 version had. Even if you put the settings on very high, there are a few settings you can go down and set to an even higher setting individually.

Do you even own the PC version lol?

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm not sure how it needs to be said but he isn't complaining about the absolute latency at all which is where this "I'm better than you" becomes absurd. It's like me complaining that the stated HDD capacity doesn't match what you get on the actual drive in Windows and then somebody saying "yeah but you often use a 256GB drive why are you complaining".
He totally is complaining about FG and latency:

"Bragging about frames with fg is like measuring your dick from your ass.
Is just lag"

I repeat. I will play on console even if every future game is 30fps. It doesn't matter to me. Comparison to console is irrelevant!
I only wanted to critique fg itself.
I think it's totally relevant when you said that FG adds latency and we should not use it while on the same time you are playing at sub 30 FPS on burry 4K with horrendous latency.

Rofif: FG is adding BIG latency, don't use it!
Me: but Rofif, you play on console which has more latency than PC with FG so why do you care?
Rofif: I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU STOOOOP!!! *start crying*

rofif

Banned
Ps5 version is checkerboarded 4k. PC has much better IQ with DLAA

PC version supports higher frame rates.
Plus I think there are settings that you can turn higher than the ps5 version had. Even if you put the settings on very high, there are a few settings you can go down and set to an even higher setting individually.

Do you even own the PC version lol?
true. dlss and dlaa are benefits. I never said it aint

Is just lag"

I think it's totally relevant when you said that FG adds latency and we should not use it while on the same time you are playing at sub 30 FPS on burry 4K with horrendous latency.

Rofif: FG is adding BIG latency, don't use it!
Me: but Rofif, you play on console which has more latency than PC with FG so why do you care?
Rofif: I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU STOOOOP!!! *start crying*
relative. not absolute.

Topher

Gold Member

Is just lag"

Anyone who comes into a thread with that kind of take is hell bent on shitting it up and that's exactly what he did.

Last thing I'm going to say on this nonsense. Moving on.

I completely agree. I played both the ps4 and ps5 versions of this game and it looks and plays incredibly on PC. Makes me wonder what a sequel with ray tracing on PC could look like.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that as well. Hopefully the sequel will be fully decked out with RT.

Last edited:

rm082e

I think a better analogy would be someone who will only drive a big SUV because they prefer the roominess of a big cabin talking about how the turbo charged sports car isn't as good as the super charged version because the turbo has lag. While the observation may be grounded in a measurable fact, in context it's kind of pointless because both the turbo and super charged sports cars are faster than the big SUV.

I'm all about details and nuance. I understand what you're saying about the relative latency increasing with frame gen, but it doesn't seem like a point that's relevant to anyone else given the total lag is still lower than the console version.

Three

Is just lag"
Yes, he's complaining about using fps measurements that aren't native and introduce lag. NOT THAT it is lower than console or that he can't put up with less. Imagine console had a framegen option and he did the same and you'll understand.

How many people complained about checkerboard rendering even though it increased res to 4k but had small IQ artifacts? If somebody said "bragging about 4k resolution with checkerboard rendering is ass, it's just artifacts". Would "but you play a lot of switch games, that's even worse native resolution. It's much better than the switch" be a valid retort?

Do you see the parallel? Framegen artificially increases framerate but actually adds latency. Some people don't like that. They think that framerate measurement isn't a true reflection of responsiveness of the game much like 4k measurements with checkerboard isn't a true reflection of image quality. The opinion isn't controversial and nobody is saying they prefer more latency or lower res.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I just caved in and bought the game because I have half of my friends praising it, but I'm secretly worried it may turn out to be another stinker wannabe-Assassin's Creed like Horizon.
I will reiterate it again: this game is one of the best open worlds experiences I have played so far overall. Glad to have double dipped on the PS4/PS5 and Steam Deck for this; such a great game on the go.

vIcq6iy.jpeg

Last edited:

rm082e

Yes, he's complaining about using fps measurements that aren't native and introduce lag. NOT THAT it is lower than console or that he can't put up with less. Imagine console had a framegen option and he did the same and you'll understand.

How many people complained about checkerboard rendering even though it increased res to 4k but had small IQ artifacts? If somebody said "bragging about 4k resolution with checkerboard rendering is ass, it's just artifacts". Would "but you play a lot of switch games, that's even worse native resolution. It's much better than the switch" be a valid retort?

Do you see the parallel? Framegen artificially increases framerate but actually adds latency. Some people don't like that. They think that framerate measurement isn't a true reflection of responsiveness of the game much like 4k measurements with checkerboard isn't a true reflection of image quality. The opinion isn't controversial and nobody is saying they prefer more latency or lower res.

Not quite apples-to-apples.

IQ artifacts from checkerboard rendering simply wouldn't be there at all if the game rendered at a lower native res. Rendered at lower native res, you'd have different issues with the IQ. In the case of lag, it's there in both console and PC, but it's actually lower on PC with frame gen than it is with the console.

I'm finally past the opening title and cleared out 3 areas. I may have set the difficulty too easy.
I'm practically super samurai.
Frame Gen lag with a controller is almost acceptable.
Frame Gen lag with a mouse is impossible to play with.
Either way I do not like the image results produced by my 4070. I keep it off.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm finally past the opening title and cleared out 3 areas. I may have set the difficulty too easy.
I'm practically super samurai.
Frame Gen lag with a controller is almost acceptable.
Frame Gen lag with a mouse is impossible to play with.
Either way I do not like the image results produced by my 4070. I keep it off.

I'm on controller and I've played hours with it on and hours with it off. No difference at all to me so I keep it off as well.

Fredrik

yes I know that.
When I had 240hz monitor, around 240fps/hz is when games like doom 2016 started matching 60fps with motion blur if you know what I mean.
We need a ton of frames in order to be able to create natural motion without the need of any motion blur. but at 30 and 60, motion blur is very useful or can be
Motion blur is crap. It’s the first thing I deactivate. For me it does nothing except making the image blurrier and kills all attempt to push up visuals and resolution, I still see the same framerate stutter, just with blurry frames. Worthless tech imo.
FG, or any frame interpolation tech tbh, is a ton better, keeps the clarity but adds extra frames between the ones the computer/console can produce natively.

Last edited:

Three

Not quite apples-to-apples.

IQ artifacts from checkerboard rendering simply wouldn't be there at all if the game rendered at a lower native res.
Rendered at lower native res, you'd have different issues with the IQ. In the case of lag, it's there in both console and PC, but it's actually lower on PC with frame gen than it is with the console.
What's not apples to apples about it? Its almost identical. It's both a measurement purist disliking something that fools people into thinking the measurement is higher than it actually is with a disliked tradeoff.

PC user bragging about 140fps*
PS4P user bragging about 4k**

* interpolated frames that adds some lag, native fps lower.
** interpolated pixels that adds some artifacts, native resolution lower.

People complaining about this not being a true measurement is normal as is complaining about the disadvantages too.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

I will reiterate it again: this game is one of the best open worlds experiences I have played so far overall. Glad to have double dipped on the PS4/PS5 and Steam Deck for this; such a great game on the go.

vIcq6iy.jpeg
I love how minimal the hud is. Also I like how smooth the controls and environmental interactions are. Rebirth could've learned more from this game.

hinch7

What are the biggest changes? Isn't the ps5 version already at 4k60?

Does it have noticeably better textures on pc?
Don't think there's much difference in image quality - as in textures etc. Might be some improved AO and shadows but thats about it. And DLAA maybe a bit sharper/smoother than the inhouse TAA solution in lower res - sub 4K.

The biggest thing is the performance and way lower system latency. Which just feels nearly instananteous with my setup. Nvidia+Reflex and 100+fps with a relatively fast display verses console theres no contest. You kind of get used to it on consoles after a while but you don't get the same responsiveness, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

simpatico

Running a 7800x3D and a GTX 1080.

Getting 1080p/60 mostly with FSR Quality. Mix of settings. Not nearly as good of perf as Days Gone, for what is pretty close to the same level of graphics (ran it 1080p native, maxed to the tits and never dropped below 80fps).

Frame gen stutters and lags worse than no frame gen. Input lag is notable and I'm not generally an input lag noticer. I keep this disabled.

Anyone know which settings have the biggest effect on perf? Getting into the 40s in certain areas.

Game is ace though. I'll be shocked if it's not top 3 on the year. Seems like one for the ages.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
anecdotal.
I know what I am in for with console games and what to expect. I play on console because I value other things. not just fps.
Besides, 30fps is totally fine. Motion blur is a good thing too when it's proper.

My last post was yesterday few pages back. Why am I still in your head?
I've only said what T Three explained. The rest is answering to stupid accusations because "you are idiot u play 30fps console games". It's idiotic.
I stopped responding because I went to sleep you dipshit.

I have decades of pc gaming behind me. Who if not me is allowed to comment in thread like this? I still play pc games you know?
I just think nvidia puts wool over pc gamers eyes with this stupid framegen. Monke sees bigger number = better.... while it's completely opposite.
FG is only good if you apply it to 70-100fps base because the the frametimes are already so low. But at this point... why even bother with fg? What's the point seeing higher number and making 70fps frametimes feel like 50fps because that's exactly what it is. This is what my comment was about.

This is really simple. And no. I don't want FG on consoles. I play on consoles exactly because I am allergic to all the pc bullshit.
You pc gamers act all high and mighty about 30 fps or even 60ps to the point you don't even know what you are talking about.
you cannot accept the fact that I have the biggest pc experience out here and that's the reason I am turning down the pc experience.
I chased framerates and perfect frametimes when I was a teenager. It doesn't matter anymore.
People played Ghost of tsushima in in 1080p30fps and had best times of their lives. if you need framegen, upscaling and 170fps to do so, that's your loss really.

And again, this conversation turned to more than it should. You again demonized me.
Pc community is so fucking toxic recently. Is it the money you spend on your rigs?! What's the big deal
You need help. Preferably professional help.

yamaci17

5-0 for me. Game. Set. Match.

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC
calls 45 fps to 90 fps frame generation UNPLAYABLE

but 30 fps on consoles that would have the latency of 20 FPS on PC with reflex is playable

logic? 404 not found. scapegoat? "I don't compare with console, console is special". at this point a console game can run at 5 FPS with 300 ms latency and he will proclaim it is playable for him but 360 fps on PC is not enough and motion blur is needed to complete the motion so if you cannot get 1000 FPS to get rid of motion blur (per his logic), no point in getting 360 fps either, just no point in arguing at that point. he's someone who devalues 120 FPS/high refresh rate gaming because apparently you still need motion blur (according to him, not me) so probably to him it is a useless niche as well

Last edited:

Lorianus

I played and uninstalled it after about 5 hours now, this is the most "i cant believe its not an ubisoft open world game" game i played thus far right down to the odessey/valhalla quick parry/dodge, heavy attack->guard break combat, enemy AI leaves alot to be desired too.
Its pretty i give it that.
Also the cutscenes, mainpath/sidecontent, feel really uninspiring with wierd wideshots followed by shot/reverse shot talking heads without dynamic camera angles.
Game was sadly not for me.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
calls 45 fps to 90 fps frame generation UNPLAYABLE

but 30 fps on consoles that would have the latency of 20 FPS on PC with reflex is playable

logic? 404 not found. scapegoat? "I don't compare with console, console is special". at this point a console game can run at 5 FPS with 300 ms latency and he will proclaim it is playable for him but 360 fps on PC is not enough and motion blur is needed to complete the motion so if you cannot get 1000 FPS to get rid of motion blur (per his logic), no point in getting 360 fps either, just no point in arguing at that point. he's someone who devalues 120 FPS/high refresh rate gaming because apparently you still need motion blur (according to him, not me) so probably to him it is a useless niche as well
Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

Top Bottom