• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to start W40K: Rogue Trader or Baldur's Gate 3 - guide me GAF

What gane should I start first?

• Rogue Trader

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Baldurs Gate 3

Votes: 27 87.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

graywolf323

Do BG3 first. Owlcat are still improving Rogue Trader with patches. I've beat BG3 and have over 100 hours in Rogue Trader. Both are amazing. I actually like the combat in Rogue Trader more.
definitely this, BG3 is much more solid right now (just in performance and other issues) while Rogue Trader is still getting there

as long as you‘re in the mood for fantasy over sci-fi right now

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
BG3 is a GOAT, get it done.

StereoVsn

Do BG3 first. Owlcat are still improving Rogue Trader with patches. I've beat BG3 and have over 100 hours in Rogue Trader. Both are amazing. I actually like the combat in Rogue Trader more.
Yep, BG3 is more fully baked, but it’s not that Rogue Trader isn’t good. It’s a great game, but will become even better in a bit with first expansion, IMO.

Alternatively though, you could go for Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous. If you like working out whole bunch of different builds amongst a lot more possibilities vs BG3 and like higher level gameplay in D&D, it’s a must.

Personally I liked the builds and combat better in Pathfinder vs BG3.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It was hard for me to play Rogue Trader after BG3. BG3 ruined it for me.
Eh, I disagree. While they are both CRPGs, they are quite different in what they do.

Ship combat is interesting, the whole Warhammer setting in Rogue Trader is excellently presented and there is a lot more politics in the plot overall.

Yeah, from presentation perspective BG3 takes the cake and from choice/consequences in the plot, but Rogue Trader is great at what it does. But if one haven’t played either I would say go for BG3 now and Rogue Trader after. Or better yet start with Pathfinder WotR, then BG3 and followed by Rogue Trader. That’s like 300+ hours of CRPG greatness.

Last edited:

bajouras

Kinda mixed on this one. I love wh40k, but I feel that bg3 is a far superior game. To the point that if you click a lot with bg3, it may ruin rogue trader for you. So with that info, start with either… sorry I really can’t decide here.

As with any Owlcat game you have to wait 1-2 years after release before playing it. All their games received massive definitive/enhanced re-releases with lots of fixes and even after those the games were all a buggy fucking mess. Rogue Trader is exactly the same, a huge mess. Do not buy the game right now. I sugest you either go with BG3 or take a look at Owlcats other crpgs. Both Pathfinder games are great, however they are very difficult.

Last edited:
Top Bottom