• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
did you also play doom as a melee game then dismiss all of that game's critics with a retarded git gud comment instead of actually putting two thoughts together to form a coherent argument?

that seems to be your MO. say some dumb shit, ignore all evidence and then get scared about getting quoted begging people not to prove you wrong with your own posts. thats pathetic. next time, man up, admit you were wrong or dont bother replying. i dont have time for your nonsense.
Wtf is this? are you for real?

Let's go in order:

i didn't played eternal but i heard what the problem was and it is different from fw because eternal force you into a loop to get more ammo etc, with the melee kill etc, and like i said multiple times that you continue to ignore, i also played horizon with ranged weapons, at this point i have more playtime with ranged weapons than melee, so stop with the false analogy.

In horizon you can use the weapon you like, you can ignore elements and play as you want, so first bad analogy about having too many systems ruining the game, it is only like that when the game force you to engage with ALL the systems.
Horizon let you free of using the fuck you want or to ignore elements and just go pure raw, and if you like to engage with this stuff, it's just more variety to the game, i like to have enemies that can block my movements with the slimy thing, or enemies that can shoot plasma that build time with time etc, i like to have variety instead of having enemies that shot the same type of laser, other games get praised for having such a cast of enemies with so many moves and carefully crafted weak points but apparently for horizon having variety is a sin...

If i post positive comments about horizon combat would you change your mind? i don't think so, so i'm not sure why you think i should change mine or what you think you accomplished with your "evidence" :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The thing with hard games is that you can always play on easy or normal, but in easy games you can do that because they are usually easy even on hard, so i prefer the horizon way over the zelda way, sue me.

Do you know why i bail out from some discussions? because i accept that i can't always win nor make people change their minds and i really don't like to fight, especially in here where we are all bros, not sure what the fuck was the begging part since i never did that and you are free to recover all my past post as much as you want.

Saying that horizon has good combat is hardly dumb shit, that is again your opinion because you didn't liked the game, you don't have the hard truth in your hand dude, so don't act like you do, millions of people enjoy what is considered the best part of the game, for all these people, you are the one saying dumb shit, i hope you realize that, i admitted that you were right with the discussion about the destruction in avatar vs horizon, i have no problem to admit when i'm wrong.

The game has some very powerfull builds and weapons, making enemies super aggressive was their way to balance the game, you would curbstomp everything if they give you the time to aim properly and take your time.

Me saying git gud is just a snarky way to say that i don't think the game is as bad as you think and that it could be a skill problem, is it the first time that i'm being snarky with you? sorry if i offended you, you can go through all my posts and i very rarely use the gid gud thing because i'm not very good myself.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The extra weapons and elements are fine. What I didn’t like so much was the ridiculous amount of time I spent cycling through the weapon wheel, crafting arrows, and scanning machines, all while awkwardly running around trying to dodge the spongy and insanely aggressive enemies. Even when I prepared and scanned everything before getting into a fight, this would still happen. This would be exacerbated when the game threw you into a fight without the opportunity to prepare beforehand (scan, craft, etc). In Zero Dawn as I recall, the combat loop was more like: preparation (scan machines, craft arrows), then once you get into a fight it was mostly real time, free flowing combat. FW felt like fucking turn based combat at times. It had absolutely no flow, especially before upgrading arrow capacity.

It does feel a lot better once all the pouches are upgraded and you don’t have to craft arrows every 2 seconds. I’m pretty decked out and now I enjoy the combat more. But I shouldn’t have had to do a bunch of busy work bullshit to get to that point.

Again, I say this all as someone who loves the game. I literally had it as my personal GOTY for 2022, even though its definitely not by objective measures.
You don't have to put all the weapons you have in the weapon wheel, you can just use the 2-3 that you use the most.

Crafting arrows is literally pressing a button, you even have the option to press once without keep pressing the button, you people speak like horizon weapon wheel is not used in many other games or that is quantum theory instead of moving a stick and pressing a button, i just don't get it, it was also the same in the first game, you had weapons with multiple elements and various type of arrows.

the whole point of the focus and how the combat is structured is to scan machine to highlight their weak spot, it was the same in the first game, they just improved the focus in the sequel because you can turn every single part into purple for better clarity when you aim, again i don't see the problem for people who liked horizon 1, and in 95% of the cases, the fight start with aloy already in stealth to give you time to scan the enemies, but i admit that when you are directly facing the enemy it can be cumbersome to focus when they attack you,i get it, never said that the game or combat are perfect.

The enemies are spongy if you don't aim to weak points, or don't use the canisters on their bodies to start elemental explosions or maybe because the build is not optimized or your level is too low, they are longer fights than your average trash mobs in other open worlds but then again, it was the same in the first game, you don't get to beat a medium size dinobot in 30 sec on max difficulty, and it would be shit if it was like that, i want long battles in an horizon game, and if you want shorter fights you can lower the diffculty, if you are too proud to do that is not the game problem, the game has like 6-7 difficulty modes to make every player happy, if fights are too long, maybe lower a notch or two.

I don't know what to say about the turn based combat, it sound absurd to me.

The funny thing is that i didn't loved the game nearly as much as the first one, but combat wasn't the reason, i think ragnarock was the goty for that year, and the first horizon was my game of he gen:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Send me a pm if you wann discuss more, this is not the place.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Wtf is this? are you for real?

Let's go in order:

...No, let's not, please?

This thread becomes secondGAF too often, there is no reason to get into gameplay specifics in a graphics thread.

PM or reopen an old Horizon thread to talk about opinions on whether a game plays well or not; its already questionable if a 2-year-old game fits the graphics expectation topic but at least there's context.

GymWolf

Gold Member
...No, let's not, please?

This thread becomes secondGAF too often, there is no reason to get into gameplay specifics in a graphics thread.

PM or reopen an old Horizon thread to talk about opinions on whether a game plays well or not; its already questionable if a 2-year-old game fits the graphics expectation topic but at least there's context.
I just wanted to make things clear with slimy, like i said i don't wanna fight or have people that have a grudge against me, i already have so many shit in my life right now that i don't really need this crap.

This is exactly why sometimes i edit my post and "bail out".

Videogames discussions can get pretty heated :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
You must have not read the part where I said Odyssey running at 4k... and no even on Switch it was mostly 900p when docked (although it could ofc drop to 720p, mostly in New Donk City) not that it really matters.

My source is from my friend / family group which consists of hundreds of people. Some people online truly are so near the middle of the onion and can't see that surface level. I asked my niece who's 14 if she thought the graphics were better in MK8 Deluxe versus the 3DS MK7 she had been using and she just looked at me and said "what are graphics". Kids today do not care one single shit or even talk about graphics like when we were kids in the 16 bit era and companies leveraged graphics as a marketing tool. Graphics for this and I would argue every gen before it since the PS360 era has not really mattered. Look at the consoles that 'won' - PS1, PS2, Wii, DS, 3DS, Switch... Graphics are not an issue to people outside of gaming enthusiasts and even then we are a subset of an enthusiast community where a lot of that same enthusiast community doesn't even care about graphics lol.

Now extrapolate that to Joe Walmart that plays FIFA/Madden every year, then out to someone that plays Fortnite on a shitty old PC, then out to a Switch only player, then out to someone that plays Minecraft on an old tablet, then out to someone who plays Facebook games... 4k Odyssey absolutely looks the same as the Mario movie to THEM. When I made my statement those were the people I was referring to who are whether we like it or not the mass market and who current videogames are marketed at in an effort to expand the market. In my experience young people's only concern when it comes to gaming is usually - 1) Is it good? 2) Is it on PC so I can use discord while I game and 3) Can I play it with my friends online. That's all they care about. Graphics don't even come up. The numbers of the most played games in the World back this theory up.

This is why the industry is currently collapsing around developers and publishers feet. This absolutely stupid race to the bottom for photo realism which has been going on since around the time Microsoft entered the market and the arms race with between XBOX and Playstation has led us to a massively shrunken market (mainly because the price of silicon you need to power games that look like that and the fact you can no longer shrink the die sizes quickly to release consoles for half their original price in year 3) and games becoming more and more like interactive movies filled with cutscenes or forced walking sections.

Most people who play games play Fortnite, Warzone, Minecraft, League of Legends, Roblox, Counter-Strike, WoW, Switch games and most of them tablet / phone / facebook games. There is no longer a large enough market to justify making what a lot of you expect which would be a $200 million Uncharted 5 for instance (then another $200 million on marketing so you're talking needing to sell 10 million copies to just break even lol...). This is why most developers are making multiplayer, competitive, co-op, battle royal, hero shooters, moba's etc so they can GaaS them up. Much lower dev costs with a much, much, much huger possible return on investment even if your game is moderately successful.

Please enjoy Hellblade II. It will be one of the last traditional 8 hour linear games with a focus on story and visuals until they figure out how to make more photo realistic games without needing 4-5-6 year development cycles.
Oh my goodness I’m so sorry! I thought you meant the rinky dink lookin switch launch title at its actual resolution that 99% of people played it on. I see now if you up the resolution while maintaining the same assets, lighting, textures, character models, sky boxes, and post processing effects then yeah of course casuals will say it looks like the big budget animated movie that’s light years ahead! Genius!!

And you realize that apathy and ignorance towards graphics and tech doesn’t mean you could put the goddamn super Mario feature film side by side with a switch launch title and “joe Walmart” is gonna say “looks the exact same!” That’s the silliest thing I’ve heard in my entire life. By that logic fortnite and call of duty must be on the same level as avatar way of water then to the normies huh? I don’t know shit about cars but I know a Ferrari is better than a Mazda 6

EDIT: also how did I completely miss “my friend/family group which consists of hundreds of people”. Bro cmon…

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok now i'm looking at the vulverine pics from my monitor and not from my tablet that make everything look better and...they are kinda rough:messenger_neutral:

Msamy

Ok now i'm looking at the vulverine pics from my monitor and not from my tablet that make everything look better and...they are kinda rough:messenger_neutral:
Definitely they looks rough considering all of them from development build, but if you compare them to gta vi leaked development build videos and its official trailer , you can expect many graphics upgrades and take in consideration that current leaked wolverine m13 development build looks better than Spiderman 2 in many areas

GymWolf

Gold Member
Definitely they looks rough considering all of them from development build, but if you compare them to gta vi leaked development build videos and its official trailer , you can expect many graphics upgrades and take in consideration that current leaked wolverine m13 development build looks better than Spiderman 2 in many areas
It MUST look better, the game is not open world and i doubt it's gonna have as many cars and npcs on the streets, nor the super speedy traversal.

Hopefully we get another rift apart and not another sp2.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lol, this thread worrying about visuals of a game that's knee deep in development based on leaks they were never intended to see.

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Oh my goodness I’m so sorry! I thought you meant the rinky dink lookin switch launch title at its actual resolution that 99% of people played it on. I see now if you up the resolution while maintaining the same assets, lighting, textures, character models, sky boxes, and post processing effects then yeah of course casuals will say it looks like the big budget animated movie that’s light years ahead! Genius!!

And you realize that apathy and ignorance towards graphics and tech doesn’t mean you could put the goddamn super Mario feature film side by side with a switch launch title and “joe Walmart” is gonna say “looks the exact same!” That’s the silliest thing I’ve heard in my entire life. By that logic fortnite and call of duty must be on the same level as avatar way of water then to the normies huh? I don’t know shit about cars but I know a Ferrari is better than a Mazda 6

EDIT: also how did I completely miss “my friend/family group which consists of hundreds of people”. Bro cmon…
If the industry really cared about what the Fortnite/Counter Strike/LeagueOflegends/Minecraft/Fifa/Madden crowd thought of graphics fidelity, they would not be making AAA games that take 5-7 years to make. They would all be making gaas trash. And some ARE doing that. Or tried to do it, but even the ones who did chase that trend managed to produce some rather good looking games. If Bioware, Crystal Dynamics and Rocksteady they really wanted to, they wouldve put out fortnite looking trash. Anthem looked amazing in 2019, Avengers looked great in 2020 and while SS looks rather mediocre by 2024 standards, they did not phone it in like MLB the show devs, minecraft and fortnite devs do.

The argument just doesnt hold. Devs who have always wanted to push fancy graphics will push fancy graphics even if they are held back by fads or last gen hardware. No one gives a shit about what kids think. Whether your grandma can tell the difference between mario cg movie or mario odyssey.

The slow start to this generation thanks to cross gen push by first party publishers has made people lose their minds. GTA6 is not held back by the switch 2. The GaaS push will fade away like every fad. Naughty Dog didnt cancel Factions to make a cheap $1 million fortnite clone. They are making another $200 million game. Crystal Dynamics went back to making single player Tomb Raider games. Bioware went back to making single player Dragon Age and Mass effect games.

I could understand this sort of pessimism at the end 2022, but 2023 saw all kinds of devs from AAA like Respawn, Massive, Remedy, Square Enix to B tier like Remnant, Immortals, Robocop, Lords of the Fallen devs ALL release next gen only games instead of cross gen trash just so they can push next gen visuals that kids playing fortnite and minecraft would indeed not give two shits about. It's because those devs dont give two shits about those kids either. Fuck them kids.

And despite all the layoffs, studio closures, Microsoft's assisted suicide, this year 99% of the AAA games released so far are next gen only, and we are set to have massive conferences by MS, Sony, Ubisoft, and other third party publishers at the summer gamefest where 90% of the games will be single player, next gen only and will look absolutely amazing compared to fortnute and minecraft. Kids be damned.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

Go look up Super Mario Odyssey running at 4k/60fps. Not all but most of the levels are absolutely ridiculous looking visually. As usual their art style carries them but at 4k there are actually some complex geometry and really good textures.

Also I’m sorry I come from a super large family and have a lot of friends. My bad.

Again scripted
Yeah i think it's IGN who said it was paused because Bungie is pouring resources into getting Marathon out the door.

You're talking about destruction of wood structures and stone pillars like this ?

You can also destroy some stones walls :

There is also some trees who are destructible when you are flying :

I think the game have all the destruction of Zero Dawn but like the first one not every thing is destructible.

Go look up Super Mario Odyssey running at 4k/60fps. Not all but most of the levels are absolutely ridiculous looking visually. As usual their art style carries them but at 4k there are actually some complex geometry and really good textures.

Also I’m sorry I come from a super large family and have a lot of friends. My bad.
Dude. Get out of here. Does everyone else see this? Just take the L

And don’t be sorry for that. Be sorry for lying on the internet and claiming the number is in the multiple of hundreds

GymWolf

Gold Member
Again scripted
Like most games unfortunately, it's not like many games let you precisely cut a tree with a machine gun like crysis 1.

Hopefully that is just the fault of being crossgen, maybe a fully nextgen decima is gonna have better destruction.

Death stranding 2 is next, they showed promising things in the trailer but they could very be scripted moments.

After seeing some wolverine Leaked gameplay from milestone 13 (10-2023) build which have many unfinished things which approximately the latest game build in the Leaked data ( note the Leaked build which many played is milestone 8 ( 2022 build) ) , I can say that the game looks far better , I can't wait to see the latest build of the game in the next showcase, i think insomniac update wolverine graphics engine more than Spiderman 2, here's some photos considering the game still have 2 more years.
Why are you posting screen shots of a leaked game bro, some of us dont want to be spolied man, what the fuck?

Major League Baseball No GIF by MLB

New HB2 Screens:

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-3.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-6.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-5.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-4.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-1.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-9.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-8.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-7.jpg
Looks awesome. I don’t get people who are obsessed with IQ, or have an aversion to “filmic” looking games. I’ll take shit that looks like this any day of the week over 4k 60fps whatever. If someone just released a game that looked exactly like this but had actual normal gameplay I’d be stoked.

rofif

Banned
Looks awesome. I don’t get people who are obsessed with IQ, or have an aversion to “filmic” looking games. I’ll take shit that looks like this any day of the week over 4k 60fps whatever. If someone just released a game that looked exactly like this but had actual normal gameplay I’d be stoked.
People hate chromatic aberration, film grain and motion blur but these can really ground visuals nicely rather than everything being sterile and sharp

GymWolf

Gold Member
Seriously, I hope this game has an option to disable chromatic aberration, film grain and motion blur.
Those screenshots are very concerning, regarding image quality. Or lack there
of.
You read my mind.

I can't even judge properly with all that smeared shit on the pics.

Pc version need a big red button at the center of the option with "disable all the bullshit diarrhea inducing filters" written on it.

And people ask me why i prefer to play on pc...

Last edited:

JCreasy

New HB2 Screens:

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-3.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-6.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-5.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-4.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-1.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-9.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-8.jpg
Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-7.jpg

I’ve been waiting for clear pictures of the faces of non-Senua characters for a while now. Gotta see these in motion. New footage has been so limited.

3Lateral 4D scans continue to impress. High expectations for 1943. These are the character fidelity milestones I’ve been awaiting for 30 years. I just need Naughty Dog to match or exceed this.

Last edited:

DanielG165

Was playing through AC: Mirage for the first time this evening, until a summer rain storm rolled in. The games looks pretty good and noticeably crisp/sharp. Nothing was really noteworthy, but it’s visually a very pretty game. If the game itself didn’t feel so dull, I’d be having a blast running around, but it just hasn’t really grabbed me at all. I was hoping for more of a Unity feel, but instead, Mirage is like a neutered Odyssey or Valhalla. It’s graphically handsome, but lacking in any sort of “soul”.

As an aside, it’s funny how people (not necessarily in here), try to rebuke the notion that the 2080S and 2080TI respectively are both very much 4K capable cards. With Mirage, as an example, I really didn’t have to touch any of the graphics settings, and was playing at native 4K, “very high” settings, and no DLSS, just TAA. The frame rate was a smooth 60fps, and no noticeable hitches to my eyes. The highest end 20 series cards are plenty capable of handling 4K games, I play a bunch of my “heavier” ones at said resolution just fine.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Was playing through AC: Mirage for the first time this evening, until a summer rain storm rolled in. The games looks pretty good and noticeably crisp/sharp. Nothing was really noteworthy, but it’s visually a very pretty game. If the game itself didn’t feel so dull, I’d be having a blast running around, but it just hasn’t really grabbed me at all. I was hoping for more of a Unity feel, but instead, Mirage is like a neutered Odyssey or Valhalla. It’s graphically handsome, but lacking in any sort of “soul”.

As an aside, it’s funny how people (not necessarily in here), try to rebuke the notion that the 2080S and 2080TI respectively are both very much 4K capable cards. With Mirage, as an example, I really didn’t have to touch any of the graphics settings, and was playing at native 4K, “very high” settings, and no DLSS, just TAA. The frame rate was a smooth 60fps, and no noticeable hitches to my eyes. The highest end 20 series cards are plenty capable of handling 4K games, I play a bunch of my “heavier” ones at said resolution just fine.
Yeah but ac mirage is a last Gen game. The 2080 i had ran everything last gen at 4k 60 fps Medium to high unless i turned on ray tracing.

Next Gen games and other cross gen games like callisto and horizon fw probably not so much.

That said you might be able to run them at native 4k 30 fps.

DanielG165

Yeah but ac mirage is a last Gen game. The 2080 i had ran everything last gen at 4k 60 fps Medium to high unless i turned on ray tracing.

Next Gen games and other cross gen games like callisto and horizon fw probably not so much.

That said you might be able to run them at native 4k 30 fps.
Yeah, I should’ve caveated that by saying that I definitely don’t expect to run the current current gen stuff at native 4K on this card, but it’s very much wholly capable of doing so with plenty of games still, which is impressive. And, the ones that it can’t quite eke out a native res in, it can still fall back on DLSS. Like Avatar is so well optimized, that even on a 2080S it can run at just under the highest settings and 4K DLSS Quality, and the GPU isn’t ever screaming at me lol.

alloush

I just meant that it is clearly cgi.

Its just that I feel are standards here have been consistently falling for years now. You dont actually think that is indistinquishable from a real person do you?
I mean if you remember my posts you will remember that my standards for graphics are absurdly high, but this doesn’t mean I don’t give credit where it’s due. I thought that bullshot looked real hot, not really indistinguishable from a real person per se but you get the gist!

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Rumours were saying RTGI, Virtualised Geometry and a heavily updated "Anvil Pipeline" that's directly shared between all AC studios.

Those are likely touched up shots too knowing Ubi and this is their first fully next-gen current-gen title, four years into the gen.

Hopefully there is a hell of a lot more going on in motion, but from the shots alone it really does like a like a PS4 game.

Not interested in playing it tbh as I don't like RPG AC (and frankly I felt nothing watching the trailer), but I really wanted to see a strong demonstration of tech, in the hope that there'd be another classic style AC game in the future (or perhaps if "Hexe" turns out interesting).

Here's the full-res shots btw:

acsh-screenshot-exclusive-15052024-6pm-cest-1715700805949.jpg
acsh-screenshot-4-announce-15052024-6pm-cest-1715700805947.jpg
acsh-screenshot-1-announce-15052024-6pm-cest-1715700805944.jpg

acsh-screenshot-3-announce-15052024-6pm-cest-1715700805946.jpg
acsh-screenshot-5-announce-15052024-6pm-cest-1715700805948.jpg
acsh-screenshot-2-announce-15052024-6pm-cest-1715700805945.jpg
I think it looks quite good. People should also remember when comparing it to other games that it's going to have a World 2-3x the size of your average open World and probably have a 60fps mode on consoles. Those are two massive considerations to take into account when looking at a games visuals. It was never going to look as good as Hellblade II or Marvel 1943 for instance.

CGNoire

I mean if you remember my posts you will remember that my standards for graphics are absurdly high, but this doesn’t mean I don’t give credit where it’s due. I thought that bullshot looked real hot, not really indistinguishable from a real person per se but you get the gist!
It does look good. I dont think its Bullshot though. It looks inline with the other characters shown which I assume are Realtime.

JCreasy

Ok, real talk — this is fire.

Unreal Engine 5 is COOKING!

Look at all the rich crisp details on the ground at end. Those individual stones/pebbles. There was distinguishable limestone. Or the detailed materials used for the red exoskeleton of those centipedes? They had an ashen patina or something.

Imagine if Stellar Blade had this level of detail.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Look at all the rich crisp details on the ground at end. Those individual stones/pebbles. There was distinguishable limestone. Or the detailed materials used for the red exoskeleton of those centipedes? They had an ashen patina or something.

That end shot isnt realtime like the rest of the trailer. Its definitely additonal "rendered" footage.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Like noire already said, i'm not sure if the last part is real time.

If i can stop the game, zoom on the ground and you have that level of details than they are definitely cooking but i don't know man...

Top Bottom