• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades 2 | Early Access OT | In the name of Hades, Olympus I accept this sequel!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
IGN already gave Hades 2 a 9 out of 10 lol (early access review) - https://www.ign.com/articles/hades-2-early-access-review

t6ejZRE.png

Stellar blade have 9.2.

Stellar blade is better.

😎

darthkarki

I've been meaning to try out Hades at some point but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm curious though, with the sequel coming out, is it still worth playing the first game? Does this render it superfluous?

John Bilbo

I've been meaning to try out Hades at some point but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm curious though, with the sequel coming out, is it still worth playing the first game? Does this render it superfluous?
It is worth playing. It features a different main character with different weapons and abilities. Also it is quite cheap on Steam atm.

It is worth playing. It features a different main character with different weapons and abilities. Also it is quite cheap on Steam atm.
It’s not very fun in the end. I personally did not feel a designer’s hand in random rooms, making it feel like a slog. Getting good is secondary to powering up through death.

And not all items you chose are gameplay important, you may pick some options to advance relationships with NPCs. If I remember, there is some benefit in most of these friendships, but didn’t really like the characters and world building they wanted me to engage with to get them.

That’s all I remember after giving it two fair shakes. These reviews may very widely from your experience, but that is my history with supergiant games overall.

John Bilbo

Getting good is secondary to powering up through death.
I think this is true in the first half of the game. In the latter half (and especially the stuff you unlock after credits) you really have to sweat as a player to get through. I agree it doesn't make it good game design. It is like there's a soft cap on the progression.

I hope they would not make the progression in the same manner in the sequel but based on the first boss encounter I think they will apply the same type of design philosophy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
One thing to note after reading through their roadmap in game, is that they're committed to (if at all technically feasible) make sure that save data from the existing early access build carries forward through the various iterations and even into the full 1.0 release.

So with any luck, at no point will save data get reset in early access, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

thegame983

I mean Hades 1 is a full game. This isn't. Hades currently on sale right now ( I think). If this looks interesting to you, get Hades 1.

TexMex

Put 100 hours into Hades. Jumped on this, spent a couple hours with it, killed the first boss. It's awesome as expected.

Even now it feels very complete, I'm a little surprised to hear that 1.0 isn't until 2025. I can't imagine what needs improving, but I'm here for all of it.

Spyxos

Even though I liked the first part, I never played it through because my savegame was gone after early access and I didn't want to start all over again. So part 2 can wait a bit longer.

TexMex

Even though I liked the first part, I never played it through because my savegame was gone after early access and I didn't want to start all over again. So part 2 can wait a bit longer.

See a few posts up. Plan is to allow your EA save carry into 1.0.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've only played a few hours, but the farther I get and the more stuff I unlock, the more I'm digging this. Adding charge to attacks is pretty great, especially with all the different modifiers. I've just now unlocked my first trinket and second weapon, game seems to have a ton of content already.

Just watched the IGN early access review and I AM HYPED! So much so that I went back and played again today. Wow am I rusty as hell!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The short range weapon isn’t fun now, maybe it will be later. I am still digging the starting weapon. I’m already enjoying it more than the first game. Maybe because there’s less red.

DavidGzz

Bought! Dling at 600 kb at work. It will be a while lol

PC gaming can't stop with the Ws

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

How woke is it though. The first one was fine in that regard. Just the right amount of degeneracy, fitting to the setting, without actual obvious pandering.

Hades 2 has fat wheelchair Hephaestus...
111.jpg

It's also yet another game trying to turn a real life skin disease that's usually a nightmare for those affected into something cool.

(that's Hestia btw)

Last edited:

chlorate

It kind of annoyed me that Hades 1 had most of the characters have British accents instead of Greek ones

GymWolf

No it doesn't, the first game is still fantastic and doesn't feel old at all.

T-Cake

I'm currently playing the original and having a blast. It's going to take me weeks to unlock everything though, I reckon so there's no rush to grab the sequel yet. And to read that Hades II improves on the first game, well that's incredible.

GymWolf

One thing to note after reading through their roadmap in game, is that they're committed to (if at all technically feasible) make sure that save data from the existing early access build carries forward through the various iterations and even into the full 1.0 release.

So with any luck, at no point will save data get reset in early access, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.
It was the same with hades 1, the saves from the early access never failed to load.

I'm reading that it was not the same for everyone, strange.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
There should not be graded reviews for
'early access' games. They are not done. I can see giving impressions but not a score. Come on! Why?

Last edited:

drotahorror

Digging it. 3rd area is pretty hard imo. The strife shit when entering a new area is kind of lame imo. It went away on 2nd level but so far and I think I’ve only been there 3x it hasn’t left me in 3rd area

All the weapons feel quite unique which is no surprise coming from hades 1. Hammer hits crazy hard but that final strike in the combo is quite slow and doesn’t seem like you can aim it after a dash? Only played with it one time though and maybe it’s easier on mouse keyboard

Last edited:

jshackles

I finally made it past the first boss, and farther than I made it in the technical test. The second zone is pretty awesome.

I also encountered my first room with locked exits. What a brilliant idea - fight more monsters to unlock a potentially different reward in the next zone.

And with the inclusion of (mostly) all new trinket abilities, new weapons and weapon modifiers... yeah, this game is pretty great.

Managed to clear first try with the last weapon you unlock:
the skulls
Which is weird because the weapon is quite tricky and I was getting whopped with the more traditional weapons and also sucked with ranged in the first game.

Game is so fucking good is ridiculous.

Good news for those worried that the game is woke. It is, a lot. SGG doesn't need your fragile bitch ass complaining about it. Game is already a success and it will only grow more with or without you. Go play the sex bot simulator and don't forget to sign that useless petition.

Luipadre

Managed to clear first try with the last weapon you unlock:
the skulls
Which is weird because the weapon is quite tricky and I was getting whopped with the more traditional weapons and also sucked with ranged in the first game.

Game is so fucking good is ridiculous.

Good news for those worried that the game is woke. It is, a lot. SGG doesn't need your fragile bitch ass complaining about it. Game is already a success and it will only grow more with or without you. Go play the sex bot simulator and don't forget to sign that useless petition.

Im playing both :)

Top Bottom