• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 Review Embargo drops 1 hour before release

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm thinking the game will average scores in the 80-85 range. It will likely be an ok game with amazing visuals that will take it from 7-7.5 to that higher score.

Also spoilers are normally caused by some shops sell the game early and not by critics. Critics have a reputation to protect and they will not spoiler big plot points, because they fear they might not receive a game early next time.

I predict a 6/10 game at best, which will be bumped up to 8 or 9 because of inclusion and politics…

Last edited:

CherryFalls

The "spoilers" remarks must be tongue-in-cheek. I mean, the first game had no story, much less anything to be spoiled about. This is not Game of Thrones.
It always baffles me when people are worried about spoilers in video games, when 99% of them have basic plots that are just there to move the gameplay forward. This aint no Metal Gear.

onQ123

Killed before CoD comes out.

-

Pre-load for the game is also live now, 40GB.

RwgYPSU.jpeg
I'm shocked that it's only 40GBs even with the short gameplay

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm shocked that it's only 40GBs even with the short gameplay

Not sure why. Not every modern game is bloated to > 100GB. Stellar Blade is 35~GB, Fallout 4, even with the new-gen patch, and all DLC content installed, is about the same.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It always baffles me when people are worried about spoilers in video games, when 99% of them have basic plots that are just there to move the gameplay forward. This aint no Metal Gear.
A story-focused game where you’ve had the story spoiled is like watching a movie after someone spoiled the story. Takes away like 90% of the enjoyment. And this is clearly highly story-focused where the gameplay is there to move the story forward.

I’ll be there at the release, either on Steam or through a GP sub, haven’t decided yet.

CherryFalls

A story-focused game where you’ve had the story spoiled is like watching a movie after someone spoiled the story. Takes away like 90% of the enjoyment. And this is clearly highly story-focused where the gameplay is there to move the story forward.

I’ll be there at the release, either on Steam or through a GP sub, haven’t decided yet.
Sure, but you realise we're talking hellblade and not the next MGS game. What's next, spoiler warnings for the next forza game?

a game which is unlike anything else and will be free on Game Pass

hellblade is ''unlike anything else'' ? Lol, some of you have to be trolling/delusional at this point.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
hellblade is ''unlike anything else'' ? Lol, some of you have to be trolling/delusional at this point.
I dare you to show me similar game with such production values, which deals with the real world mental shit as realistically as possible unlike any other game does through sound, visuals, gameplay and characters and story. Just one, show it🫴
From what I've seen so far, it's even more impressive and fully realized concept than original game was back in 2017.

Last edited:

yazenov

Imagine comparing a game which is unlike anything else and will be free on Game Pass to games you actually need to buy to play, one of them is multiplayer only meant for esports and the other completely derivative, bland, boring and unoriginal copy of Assassin's Creed.

giphy.gif

Imagine thinking Gamepass moving a needle when it comes to sales. Not everyone is on Game Pass, especially on PC. Heck, subscriptions are a very small market in gaming and its growth has stalled.

Last edited:
I dare you to show me similar game with such production values, which deals with the real world mental shit as realistically as possible unlike any other game does through sound, visuals, gameplay and characters and story. Just one, show it🫴
From what I've seen so far, it's even more impressive and fully realized concept than original game was back in 2017.
I agree, no game is like it. But that is also why HB2 will be somewhat niche, like HB1. Will it be much more enjoyable to play compared to watching a youtube stream of it? IDK. If the combat is relatively unchanged from the first, a lot of gamers will be turned off by that. Regardless, it is a small 8hr experience that is trying something different, so I respect the hell that a game like can even get made

Ozriel

M$FT
I agree, no game is like it. But that is also why HB2 will be somewhat niche, like HB1. Will it be much more enjoyable to play compared to watching a youtube stream of it? IDK.

This is not a phrase I expected to see on a game enthusiast forum, I’ll give you that 🤣

If the combat is relatively unchanged from the first, a lot of gamers will be turned off by that.

Good thing we have tons of previews confirming significant improvements to the combat.

This is not a phrase I expected to see on a game enthusiast forum, I’ll give you that 🤣

Good thing we have tons of previews confirming significant improvements to the combat.
We'll see in a few days whether this game lights the world on fire. I just don't see that happening

This is how IGN describes combat.
  • Combat is one on one only, slow-paced, and very brutal
I'm sorry, but a lot of gamers won't like that style of combat, no matter how cinematic it is

Fredrik

Sure, but you realise we're talking hellblade and not the next MGS game. What's next, spoiler warnings for the next forza game?
Did you play the first game? Hellblade is far more story-focused. The MGS games have long cutscenes but they’re still very much gameplay-focused.
I really can’t see anyone going in to play Hellblade 2 only for the gameplay, you play it to experience immersive story-telling and great motion capture and visuals. If you for whatever reason don’t find the story interesting then like with any movie with a story you’re not interested in you move on to something else.

Ozriel

M$FT
We'll see in a few days whether this game lights the world on fire. I just don't see that happening

I'm sorry, but a lot of gamers won't like that style of combat, no matter how cinematic it is

Moving goalposts is quite the thing indeed. Who said anything about ‘lighting the world on fire’?

A game can have modest sales and still be great. Take Rise of the Ronin, for example, that you really seem to love. Do you play games or sales numbers ?

Amusing that you read the IGN preview but carefully skated over the sections that talked about meaningful improvements to the combat.

midnightAI

Imagine comparing a game which is unlike anything else and will be free on Game Pass to games you actually need to buy to play, one of them is multiplayer only meant for esports and the other completely derivative, bland, boring and unoriginal copy of Assassin's Creed.

giphy.gif
Not good news for NT if it gets practically zero sales though regardless of Gamepass engagement numbers.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I agree, no game is like it. But that is also why HB2 will be somewhat niche, like HB1.
Well yeah, it's very niche game for NT fans and their games first and foremost, just like Remedy games, except they're more appealing in terms of gameplay cuz most of their games are TPS.

If the combat is relatively unchanged from the first, a lot of gamers will be turned off by that.
I liked combat in the first game a lot, but they've gone above and beyong to make it better in the second game with their performance capture. We'll see how good it actually is in a few days.
But it's not just comat, subject matter and everything related to it is also big part of the game and it's also not for everyone. People like boring BS and tedious af traversal, world exploration and backtracking, repetitive and monotonous combat like in the last 2 God of War games, so games like this sell better.

Regardless, it is a small 8hr experience that is trying something different, so I respect the hell that a game like can even get made
It might be their last game, literally, especially if not a lot of people will actually buy it. They should've launched the game on all platforms incl PS5, but people in MS are stupid, greedy and braindead idiots.

Not good news for NT if it gets practically zero sales though regardless of Gamepass engagement numbers.
Oh, I think there's no one here who thinks that the game will sell well, cuz it won't and to put it mildly, it's not for everyone. It'll for sure sell less than Alan Wake 2, Control and Quantum Break.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
They should've launched the game on all platforms incl PS5, but people in MS are stupid, greedy and braindead idiots.

You’re on an enthusiast gaming forum and still have no idea why console makers push software exclusivity for much of their first party titles on console?

The first game was released on all platforms. Quite likely this will end up on PS and Nintendo platforms down the line, the way things are going

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I replayed the first game yesterday and issues with combat start when you're facing multiple enemies and have to switch between targets with a somewhat wonky soft lock-on. So it seems like they understand what didn't work in Sacrifice and reworked the system to double down on what did.

DaGwaphics

But I thought that releasing a game on PC day one automatically makes it a success?

Whatever a games sells on PC as a day one release will be much higher than the number it would sell a few years later. That doesn't change based on where the game lands on the sales ranking.

Hard to believe anyone would even question that principle, as doing so goes against basic human psychology. The positive zeitgeist of a release will reach its peak when the marketing and reviews are first hitting, thus the sales potential is greatest then.

adamsapple

You have 2 bad examples lol

sigh .. ok i'll bite.

How are they 'bad examples', they're just 2 examples.

What you've posted is not a direct quote from the preview, it seems more like you paraphrasing. This is a direct line from the IGN preview:

It was thoroughly exciting and felt like an improvement over the original’s rigid by-comparison combat.

Last edited:
Moving goalposts is quite the thing indeed. Who said anything about ‘lighting the world on fire’?

A game can have modest sales and still be great. Take Rise of the Ronin, for example, that you really seem to love. Do you play games or sales numbers ?

Amusing that you read the IGN preview but carefully skated over the sections that talked about meaningful improvements to the combat.
If you watched the first trailer to HB2, almost 5 years ago, I think most, including myself, were expecting a big AAA game. It looked like it would be Xbox's GOW franchise. And It was the first game shown on the new consoles. Only earlier this year did Ninja Theory clarify that it is a shorter and more linear experience like the first game

And, a great game is a great game. The reason I brought up that it needs to "light the world on fire" is because if HB2 doesn't, I believe there is a very good chance the studio will cease to exist. This is the exact type of game that the industry, including Microsoft, are running away from

I'm looking forward to trying it on Gamepass. I thought the first game was good not great. Disappointed the combat seems to play very similar to HB1. Regardless, it will no doubt be a very unique experience just like the first game

And my bad on misquoting IGN preview. I thought the summary was part of the IGN preview, but it just a summary of all the previews

Last edited:

Eiknarf

I replayed the first game yesterday and issues with combat start when you're facing multiple enemies and have to switch between targets with a somewhat wonky soft lock-on. So it seems like they understand what didn't work in Sacrifice and reworked the system to double down on what did.
The combat was simple yet satisfying in Hellblade 1.
I remember liking the simplicity in the same vein as The Callisto Protocol.

yazenov

Whatever a games sells on PC as a day one release will be much higher than the number it would sell a few years later. That doesn't change based on where the game lands on the sales ranking.

Hard to believe anyone would even question that principle, as doing so goes against basic human psychology. The positive zeitgeist of a release will reach its peak when the marketing and reviews are first hitting, thus the sales potential is greatest then.

Well duh, unless you know, you're a company that has its own platform and ecosystem that's main priority is to sell your own hardware by making games exclusive to your own platform to increase it's value since consumers don't have a choice if they want to play the game but to buy the console it's on.

Kind of like what Sony and Nintendo have been successfully doing for a few generations. MS should learn from the best. You know, follow the leaders in the gaming industry.

Quick profits or long term profits by locking in consumers to your walled garden economy? You decide.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Beat Hellblade 1 last night for the first time. I’d say judging it by when it came out, and that it was a $30 indie, I’d say 9/10. Judging by more of todays standards in terms of combat and what not, a 7/10.

I bought the original HB the day it launched, one of the rare digital games I buy at its full launch price. It was a pretty good game for its time and for a smaller budget AA game, even then, it put a lot of big developers to shame in terms of tech.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You’re on an enthusiast gaming forum and still have no idea why console makers push software exclusivity for much of their first party titles on console?
What kind of a stupid question is that?

It's even more stupid given the fact that the exclusivity doesn't even matter in this case, cuz the game won't sell no matter what. BUT! PS5 support day one could've helped NT to sell more copies cuz there's no way to play the game for free on the PS5, unlike on PC and Xbox via Gamepass.
But now they have to rely on sales which won't happen cuz of Gamepass and piracy on PC - MS are not protecting their games with DRM like Capcom is doing for example and then removing DRM after a year or so. We already saw how bad sales are on PC and I'm sure it's even worse for Xbox cuz why should people buy if they can play for free by paying just $10 and finish the game in a week?

The Xbox as a platform doesn't exist anymore like it was during the last couple of generations. MS don't care about not only exclusivity, but also about their own hardware they need to sell to get rid of the inventory at this point, cuz nobody gives a shit about Xbox and why should they if even MS doesn't? All of their games are available on PC day one with no exceptions. There's no exclusivity unless the game is only available on your own platform any on no one else's. What's the point of Xbox right now aside from keeping Sony in line?

They bought and closed studios which didn't even do shit for their platform - all of the games were in development long before MS bought Bethesda and they were in the final stages of development. Their games are also available on the PS5 now and more of them will be from now on, sooner or later, whether someone likes it or not.
This whole exclusivity thing is pointless at this point and in not to distant future will be a thing of the past. There's no future for console exlusivity unless you're Nintendo and Square Enix was the last publisher to understand that by not doing it anymore and focusing on multi-platform development and support day one. At the end of the day, Nintendo will be the only company with exclusive games not available on other platforms but their own.

The first game was released on all platforms. Quite likely this will end up on PS and Nintendo platforms down the line, the way things are going
We don't know a thing about Switch 2 which is 100% confirmed, but If I were to guess I'd say there's no way it could run on a handheld without looking like a comple piles of shit. Even Steam Deck can't handle very demanding UE5 games. Streaming is the only option. The thing is and the way things are going with MS, NT might not exist to release the game on the PS5 even.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Well yeah, it's very niche game for NT fans and their games first and foremost, just like Remedy games, except they're more appealing in terms of gameplay cuz most of their games are TPS.

I liked combat in the first game a lot, but they've gone above and beyong to make it better in the second game with their performance capture. We'll see how good it actually is in a few days.
But it's not just comat, subject matter and everything related to it is also big part of the game and it's also not for everyone. People like boring BS and tedious af traversal, world exploration and backtracking, repetitive and monotonous combat like in the last 2 God of War games, so games like this sell better.

It might be their last game, literally, especially if not a lot of people will actually buy it. They should've launched the game on all platforms incl PS5, but people in MS are stupid, greedy and braindead idiots.

Oh, I think there's no one here who thinks that the game will sell well, cuz it won't and to put it mildly, it's not for everyone. It'll for sure sell less than Alan Wake 2, Control and Quantum Break.
Stop putting words in my mouth ;)

(You quoted someone else as me)

Top Bottom