• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft plans to put Call of Duty on gamepass - wallstreet journal

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wondering though, what idiot is going to spend tons of money on MTX for a rented game?

Because that's basically what it is. Quite a gamble.

First party stuff stays on the service in perpetuity, outside of rare licensed exceptions like the older Forza games.

Jaybe

J0qT3z1.jpeg

I also wonder what kind of revenue this will bring in from existing subscribers. I'm much more likely to grab a season pass and some skins with CoD as part of my sub.

DaGwaphics

CoD's venn is much more extensive than GP's. I doubt the overlap there would do all that much to sales, and even less to the bottom line. This is a game that makes most of its money from in-game purchases and not the base sale anyway.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The brief Wall Street Journal report doesn’t make it clear whether Microsoft plans to charge extra for Call of Duty inside Game Pass, nor whether the company will raise its Game Pass Ultimate subscription fee. I understand Microsoft has been considering raising the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate pricing again. Activision is currently targeting a late October release of the next Call of Duty, which is rumored to be set during the ’90s Gulf War.

Microsoft will hold its big Xbox summer showcase on June 9th, with a special Call of Duty direct after the main show ends. I understand Microsoft is currently planning to announce a new Gears of War game during the show. The showcase will also include a number of release dates for upcoming Xbox games like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024, Avowed, and Indiana Jones and the Great Circle.

tommib

It’s outstanding to see Xbox kill itself in a never-ending cascade of mistakes. “One last chance. We’ll make it this time! Watch our subscriber numbers reach 100 million!”

What a spectacle this has been.

Those who wanna play it will either buy it or subscribe to gamepass.

Sales are not going to simply vanish into thin air immediately cause they put it on gamepass.

More important is how good the game is and if people are interested in playing it. Other stuff, like how they wanna charge you for it, let them decide.

Killjoy-NL

First party stuff stays on the service in perpetuity, outside of rare licensed exceptions like the older Forza games.
I get that, but let's say you play for a year, GamePass would already be more expensive. Even more so if MS does raise the sub fee to $25 or whatever their plans supposedly are.

Realistically, all the other games are just perceived value.

It also would devalue COD as a franchise, because it's on GamePass, so why pay full price?

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Time to destroy all value of some of the most valuable brands in the medium. MS is a blessing because they can make mistakes that would’ve otherwise sinked anyone in the business. And they’ll act as a shining examples in business for years to come.

Sony and Nin strategy at this moment is to not interfere with Xbox’s own stupidity, I guess.

dem

I get that, but let's say you play for a year, GamePass would already be more expensive. Even more so if MS does raise the sub fee to $25 or whatever their plans supposedly are.

It also would devalue COD as a franchise, because it's on GamePass, so why pay full price?

So then I guess buy the game if that’s all your gonna play?

More options… the horror

Last edited:

adamsapple

Absolutely insane. They saw that gamepass killed xbox and games from other studios so naturally they are going to try and kill their $75 billion game.
Yes they are because Phil and Co. are braindead. They are beyond stupid and have not learned or seen what it has done to them and the brand thus far. Or they just don’t give a damn and are trying to destroy themselves completely. So obsessed with gamepass subs they let it run the Xbox brand into oblivion.

rm082e

From what I could find, it looks like about 20% of COD sales have been on Xbox the last few years. Given you have to have Game Pass Ultimate to play this game online*, it sounds like they're going to give up roughly that amount of sales.

Even if they increased Game Pass subs by 10 million people (which seems impossible), would they even be breaking even on Game Pass?

*Edit: I just realized I was looking at the wrong thing on the Xbox website and Core gives you online multi-player. So I guess the question is: Will Game Pass Core get Call of Duty, or only Ultimate? If it's only Ultimate, then they're banking on Core subs upgrading for $7 a month?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Its still going to do massive numbers on PS and PC (people wont switch from BN to gamepass)

How small is the actual market for people buying it on Xbox?

XXL

COD will go Xbox exclusive. Just like TESVI.

Phil will toss a Candy Crush port on PSN.

25 million is more than most CoD games sell across all platforms. So if it's exclusive to GamePass, again they could have upwards of 40 million by that time, then it has potentially the largest audience of any CoD game yet.

Sony will get Modern Warfare 2 this year and Black Ops in 2023, that will be the end of their exclusivity deal. From 2024 onward COD is exclusive to Xbox and PC and will be on GamePass.
empire GIF by Fox TV

Killjoy-NL

Its still going to do massive numbers on PS and PC (people wont switch from BN to gamepass)

How small is the actual market for people buying it on Xbox?
True, but GP is also on PC, so it might be reason for the same concerns, just to a lesser extent.

It just seems like a risky move, imo.

dem

True, but GP is also on PC, so it might be reason for the same concerns, just to a lesser extent.

It just seems like a risky move, imo.

MS would gladly trade for subscribers, if they could get them..

Last edited:

djjinx2

CoD is my only game, I have GamePass.

Will I pay £20 for early access and a "free" bundle. Of course I will.

Will I still sink around £50 yearly on battlepass + skins. Of Course I will.

So are MS really going to lose stupid amounts of money I would say no as the growth in Subs and new users to the platform (who may invest in Xbox further) should offset lost money in sales alone :)

wipeout364

I don’t know how many actual COD players there are on here. Those who actively play would know that the initial purchase is just a small revenue stream compared to the in game store and battle passes. Black cell in particular is massive and two black cell passes essentially cost the same as the game.

I only say this because the way people post it would seem that Microsoft is giving away COD when the reality is likely quite different. I suspect the majority of revenue is from the store not the initial sale.

Based on my time playing which is a lot there are a massive number of blackcell purchasers given the they are easily identified by tracers and skins.

Vlodril

How many units does COD sell on xbox? I am guessing majority of sales come from PC and PS anyway so might as well go for broke? It is still a terrible idea but you know ms will ms i guess.

What the new release? surely not? back catalogue would be enough IMO.

Thing is will the loss of sales be couteracted by the boost in subscriptions?

If/when they put it on Game Pass they know it will reduce traditional sales. They are banking on it increasing subs, and thinking long not short term - because they can afford to do it. They are trying to change the market.

People hurr-hurring about less sales are missing the point (from Microsoft's perspective). They don't care, they are rowing in a different direction, like it or not, and only time will tell if their people are right, or the people on here...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This seems like such a huge gamble. Will Microsoft kill Gamepass if this doesn’t result in some significant growth in subscriber #s?

Killjoy-NL

MS would gladly trade for subscribers, if they could get them..
That's kind of my point, worst-case scenario, they could lose sales while not growing subscribers.

And worst-case scenario is pretty much synonymous with Xbox lately.

Astray

I think this is a move to justify a price increase on gamepass (either via a straight-up price hike on existing subscribers, or via introducing new more expensive tiers). It makes no real sense otherwise to me.

This Xbox management keeps finding new ways to burn money with no real ROI potential, they must have a folder on Satya or something lmao.

From what I could find, it looks like about 20% of COD sales have been on Xbox the last few years. Given you have to have Game Pass Ultimate to play this game online, it sounds like they're going to give up roughly that amount of sales.
One of the last earning reports for ATVI before the acquisition got finalized said that their COD business on Xbox is "too small to mention" or something like that, so I'm guessing that's what's emboldening them to do this?

Even if they increased Game Pass subs by 10 million people (which seems impossible), would they even be breaking even on Game Pass?
They haven't been breaking even on Gamepass, the best words we ever heard about it is that it's "sustainable", which does not inspire confidence. The shuttering of studios etc doesn't inspire confidence either.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Welp, here we go. I'm not going to call it a "last ditch effort" because it's a loaded phrase, but it's very much the litmus test.

If they don't see a sharp GP subscriber increase and simultaneously noticeably lower unit sales, then a strategy pivot is in order. There's nothing else in their portfolio that will have as much potential impact, nothing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Trade in chump change for the millions in sales? This is the reason Gamepass was never sustainable. People who were going to buy the game now will pay for a few months or just enough to get their fill instead of the 70+USD they've been charging for these glorified expansion passes.

Top Bottom