• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA frustrated by Nintendo, is Working On Brand New SOC For Gaming Handhelds & Consoles

McRazzle

"According to @XpeaGPU, it looks like we might soon see NVIDIA returning to the console gaming segment. The leaker states that MediaTek is developing a next-gen gaming handheld SOC that'll feature NVIDIA's GPU IP as the company sees good potential in this segment. It is also stated that the SOC will be different than the other semi-custom stuff that NVIDIA is working on with MediaTek and that several Chinese clients are already showing interest in these chips."

"NVIDIA also made it official during GTC 2024 that MediaTek's upcoming Dimensity SOCs will use the next-gen RTX & AI GPU IP based on the Blackwell architecture. These Dimensity SOCs are aimed at the automotive segment but we can see how both companies are evaluating different opportunities at the moment."
source:
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-mediatek-soc-gaming-handhelds-console/

Nvidia looking at the Steam Deck like, "It should have been us"

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

And the cycle continues if this is true.

First was MS with Xbox, then Sony with PS3, now Nintendo with switch 2.

Maybe… just maybe … it’s not the console makers and it’s just you Nvidia are shit ?

They probably trying to charge Nintendo 209$ per SoC lol

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Would be interesting to know why. But I have no problem believing Nintendo is annoying to work with. Especially post Switch when they probably feel they can make actual demands/have some leverage in negotiations.

Hudo

probably not willing to pay high price unlike the PCMRs.
To be fair, Nvidia are notorious when it comes to deals like this. Which is why Sony and MS have opted to not use Nvidia-based hardware in their consoles for quite a while.

Back when the deal was made for Switch, they reportedly were very pleased with the prospect of just getting rid of their Tegra chips that they overproduced, so Nintendo managed to get a good deal out of it. Now, with the Switch being a massive hit, Nvidia are back with being asshats and unfortunately for them, Nintendo's dealmakers are also asshats.

Last edited:

IAmRei

probably not willing to pay high price unlike the PCMRs.
but they will make a ton of cash if it sold well. just like switch.
well, seeing nintendo, we dont know yet. but still, nintendo will order a lot, rather than pcmr. maybe can be on par, maybe can be less, but still. this is company who buy/order things from company, they wont buy in small, they buy in bulk. if its because older hardware, it is still funny to be frustrated, since they are not giving the product free, they still be bought.

but, i was asking why they are frustrated, the reason from the twitter post i mean.

Last edited:

Goalus

To be fair, Nvidia are notorious when it comes to deals like this. Which is why Sony and MS have opted to not use Nvidia-based hardware in their consoles for quite a while.

Back when the deal was made for Switch, they reportedly were very pleased with the prospect of just getting rid of their Tegra chips that they overproduced, so Nintendo managed to get a good deal out of it. Now, with the Switch being a massive hit, Nvidia are back with being asshats and unfortunately for them, Nintendo's dealmakers are also asshats.
I suspect that NVIDIA has more leverage here. They can simply end the partnership if it becomes too "frustrating". Not sure what Nintendo can do. They'd have to develop a new chip in that case.

Hudo

I suspect that NVIDIA has more leverage here. They can simply end the partnership if it becomes too "frustrating". Not sure what Nintendo can do. They'd have to develop a new chip in that case.
Probably. Nvidia also know that they have Nintendo by the balls when it comes to backwards compatibility, which is something important now that everyone wants to trap people in their digital ecosystems.

willothedog

And the cycle continues if this is true.

First was MS with Xbox, then Sony with PS3, now Nintendo with switch 2.

Maybe… just maybe … it’s not the console makers and it’s just you Nvidia that are shit ?

They probably trying to charge Nintendo 209$ per SoC lol

can't be that shit considering they dominate dGPU, AI and the market rates them the 3rd most powerful company in the world.

Mokus

Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has to make profit from the hardware sales right from the beginning with cheap but efficient components. Meanwhile Nvidia by now it became used to huge profit margins from their hardware sales. The two collaborating by having drastic market philosophy differences it can't be easy at all.

In the handheld realm, really hard to call anything outdated/cutting edge.

I just hope they use latest nodes and don’t worry about tera flops. So we can get best power efficiency. 1080p high graphics while using 5-7 watts would be cutting edge I believe.

tommib

Switch 2 is going to be so underwhelming in terms of hardware. People talking 4K and DLSS and 120hz - and I’m like.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Originals

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
How is this going to work?

AFAIK windows arm emulation depends on Qualcomm designing the chips just like Apple did to facilitate the transition.

midnightAI

Switch 2 is going to be so underwhelming in terms of hardware. People talking 4K and DLSS and 120hz - and I’m like.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Originals
Haven't Nintendo pretty much had a hit-miss-hit-miss history for the past few generations maybe Switch 2 will break the mold (I have a feeling Switch 2 may be a miss though so long as Switch 1 is still around and games are made for it but that's on them to cut off Switch 1 owners and not make cross gen games which in itself could annoy the fan base at least for the first year or two)

Switch likely generated over US$100B so there must be a fight for that going on.

I wonder if AMD/Intel are even an option considering need for backward compatibility.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Tell the shareholders you walked away from a deal with Nintendo after selling them 150 million chips last gen. These are chips that run on older nodes too so its basically free money. So what if they can't sell them a 3nm SoC expensive SoC, that capacity can go into AI cards that fetch $1000s while they push out something that was state of the art in 2020.

Nintendo will just go buy another off-the-shelf chip. I'm sure Qualcomm or Mediatek would be happy to throw one of their chips at them for a low price. Nintendo do not give a rats ass about ultimate performance. Just low costs and high margins.

GHG

Gold Member
The long and short of it is that they are frustrated with Nintendo because they aren't opting for chips that will display Nvidia's latest tech, so from Nvidia's perspective they are a poor partner.

Tell the shareholders you walked away from a deal with Nintendo after selling them 150 million chips last gen. These are chips that run on older nodes too so its basically free money. So what if they can't sell them a 3nm SoC expensive SoC, that capacity can go into AI cards that fetch $1000s while they push out something that was state of the art in 2020.

The landscape has drastically changed since the development and launch of first switch and Nvidia now have much bigger fish to fry. Whatever they will make from Nintendo going forwards will represent a tiny proportion of their overall revenue so they likely feel that they no longer need to keep the relationship going in the long run.

This is his reply:

Personally I think he's plucking this out of his butt.

The $1 thing is a gross exaggeration.

Last edited:

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
"With our new mobile solution you will be able to give your customers state of the art graphics and you will be able to turn a profit if your SKUs start at 750$"
"Our whole marketing strategy relies in offering comparatively inexpensive hardware in comparison to our competitors, so we'll have to pass. Now about that Tegra X1 tho..."
"☹️ WE'RE FRUSTRATED"

Top Bottom