• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma City - Highest STP Tornado warning in history tonight

Buggy Loop

I don't live anywhere near that (Canada yay!), but when I saw that circulating it blew my mind

Normally the Significant Tornado Parameter (STP) is in a scale of 1-10.

During the 2011 Tornado Super outbreak, the highest value recorded for STP was 17.5.

This STP map shows a max = 42.05 43.89 (edit after finding twitter gif)

It's a meteorological first / record

unprecedented-tornado-forecast-in-the-great-plains-normally-v0-i1c271ohdvyc1.png

updated-parameters-for-ok-this-evening-v0-vm3az4nbjvyc1.png

Stay safe whomever is in that region!

Last edited:

Pallas

Damn… expected to get some bad weather around middle TN at some point from this but this looks scary as fuck.

Stay safe to all gaffers in that area. 😭

Weather going absolutely nuts. This is happening while Southern Brazil is going through the worst flooding ever recorded, southeastern Brazil having the hottest April on record and May going the same path. Fuck.

Liljagare

The energy available for worsening weather systems appear to be increasing alot faster than mentioned.

Stay safe. :0

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah this is going to be a crazy night. We’re on the edge of the storm front but thankfully out of the tornado zone. You could not pay me to live in or near Oklahoma. Scary shit.

0neAnd0nly

So far, this has not produced. There are storms that are growing, this is still within the time parameters for the ramp up and tornadic activity to occur, but cell mergers and line forming has really kept this potential at bay, especially after the models all generally lined up on this as far back as 3-4 days ago (which is pretty rare).

There will be tornadoes tonight, in fact currently a couple likely on the ground or close - but this has not been the red letter day that was predicted, yet. The dry cool lines are closing in on each other shortly though, which could change some things.

0neAnd0nly

Starting to plant now, not unexpected though a little delayed. The Hominy one looks very... not good.

Edit: First PDS warning dropped. This guy is definitely not good.

Last edited:
Starting to plant now, not unexpected though a little delayed. The Hominy one looks very... not good.

Edit: First PDS warning dropped. This guy is definitely not good.

Hey bro, I hope I don't come across as an ass here but what is PDS? Where are you getting your info from? if you have a link please share it with me. I'm curious to know whats going on

0neAnd0nly

Mark my words, Barnsdall is going to be hit hard by a very strong tornado currently. This thing is flinging debris up WAY high.

0neAnd0nly

You're good man! PDS is a "Particularly Dangerous Situation" - meaning a serious, damaging tornado. It's the worst warning given OUTSIDE of "Tornado Emergency".

Mark my words, Barnsdall is going to be hit hard by a very strong tornado currently. This thing is flinging debris up WAY high.

And just like that, Tornado Emergency issued by the NWS. This is going to be serious business, all radar showing bad signs.

0neAnd0nly

Thanks bro, appreciate the reply and HOLY SHIT at the warning 😱

Unfortunately as someone who follows this stuff closely, this is a big time tornado that just hit. The Tornado Emergency wasn't issued until it was basically in the town, and the debris ball verticality of debris spread is not a good sign.

We are under the longest modern drought of EF5 (F5, previously) tornadoes in history, and I have felt this year might break it. This tornado I am not saying is THAT, but it is definitely a powerful, powerful look.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Remember, global warming is a hoax.

Certainly not entering the fight about climate change, but fwiw - most tornado researchers and meteorologist do not consider climate change as a threat to tornadoes (on tipping the scale either way).

On top of that, we are actually in a large drought of no EF5s (since 2013), which is pretty much historic. You could argue the SPC may have underrated a few, but there is definitely a lacking of significant tornadoes in major cities for a decade now.

0neAnd0nly

Thanks bro, appreciate the reply and HOLY SHIT at the warning 😱

Dude, any time! This is a hobby of mine, actually was poached fresh out of college for a meteorologist friend to be a chase partner (I declined the 4-5 offers, haha). I have been hit directly a few times, and witnessed a few more. I am fascinated by them, but have no desire to chase them EVER. Went and worked in the game industry instead haha. The NWS does a really good job actually explaining all of this stuff, the media sorely lacks in educating people on it. People diss the NWS, the SPC a LOT - but they are actually pretty good normally and try to be extremely transparent.

This tornado that went to the emergency just now, which is pretty rare and used for substantial tornadoes... it is going to be bad. GAF, pray for the people in those areas. They need it.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Storm, I believe is weakening, but there are already multiple fatalities being reported on scanners according to some of the weather communities I am in.

Poor people...

Dude, any time! This is a hobby of mine, actually was poached fresh out of college for a meteorologist friend to be a chase partner (I declined the 4-5 offers, haha). I have been hit directly a few times, and witnessed a few more. I am fascinated by them, but have no desire to chase them EVER. Went and worked in the game industry instead haha. The NWS does a really good job actually explaining all of this stuff, the media sorely lacks in educating people on it. People diss the NWS, the SPC a LOT - but they are actually pretty good normally and try to be extremely transparent.

This tornado that went to the emergency just now, which is pretty rare and used for substantial tornadoes... it is going to be bad. GAF, pray for the people in those areas. They need it.

Happy to have someone so knowledgable on the subject here in this forum and look forward to you sharing your updates with us. EF4+ is pretty bad. I learned that from watching Twister lol

0neAnd0nly

Brandon Clement live in Barnsdall helping out first responders and those trapped, and the damage as he entered the town looked... significant.

Edit:

Last edited:

Durien

The storm will reach my area around 4 AM. Part of me is debating on sleeping in the tornado shelter tonight.

Stay safe, all.
Is there any reason why you shouldn't or can't sleep in the shelter besides creature comforts.

The storm will reach my area around 4 AM. Part of me is debating on sleeping in the tornado shelter tonight.

Stay safe, all.

Fucking hell bro, debating?

There's a chance you might be debating from the pearly gates. Get your ass to that shelter. Don't take chances with your life.

Top Bottom