• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Outsold Series X/S by Almost 5x Last Quarter

SHA

I mean, the market clearly demonstrated that it is not about the price of the device per se at this point - people just buy stuff they want to and that's it. PC market is a clear example of that - as GPU purchases are not stopping due to GPU prices. Last year we essentially saw that Xbox sells better with lower price so it would sell more if it was cheaper than PS (like 199/399), but I don't see that happening as margins on hardware is too low for that and hardware die does not shrink anymore either.

All in all, between Xbox and PS5 the market just does not find Xbox attractive for the same price. Maybe that what contributed to Xbox 360 success - it was cheaper than PS3 at that time (and even did not help much worldwide aside USA).
The xbox is marketed as an internet device, this is bad news for many countries with shitty isps service, the Playstation is not, even though they're practically the same in that spectrum.

Yup, Xbox consoles have fallen through the floor.

Sony also doesn't see the ps5 outselling the ps4. I think we will see it slip and fall further behind here on out. That is why they mentioned that they are focusing on player time and retaining players across other platforms.
More PC stuff incoming with psn logins

Lol come on man, 'Sony too'. The PS5 is doing amazing considering the price and being so close to the PS4 despite being much more expensive in the same point in time. I think PS4 had two price cuts by now.

Xbox's death is gonna accelerate from here on out. 850k to 900K this quarter, in a years time, less than half that?

I think it will struggle to get close to 35m LTD given this accelerated decline.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
In a growth focused world, how is this good for Sony? They sold less than last gen while their main competition is running on fumes. I.e. they didn't capture any of that market.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lol come on man, 'Sony too'. The PS5 is doing amazing considering the price and being so close to the PS4 despite being much more expensive in the same point in time. I think PS4 had two price cuts by now.

Xbox's death is gonna accelerate from here on out. 850k to 900K this quarter, in a years time, less than half that?

I think it will struggle to get close to 35m LTD given this accelerated decline.

In a growth focused world, how is this good for Sony? They sold less than last gen while their main competition is running on fumes. I.e. they didn't capture any of that market.

Like I said in the other thread. This gen Sony are pretty much an able bodied athlete going against a disabled person in a wheelchair with one arm in a hurdle marathon. The numbers reflect reality.

Radical_3d

But if Xbox ends with 60 mill install base, isn’t that great too? Does it have to be number one for everyone or close up? The SNES sold about 50 mill and it’s not considered a failure.

H-I-M

But if Xbox ends with 60 mill install base, isn’t that great too? Does it have to be number one for everyone or close up? The SNES sold about 50 mill and it’s not considered a failure.

anime-girl.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So we’ve got one console platform dead, and the other is behind its predecessor in sales?

The user base is shrinking. The gaming landscape is going to look dramatically different in 10-15yrs.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

So we’ve got one console platform dead, and the other is behind its predecessor in sales?

The user base is shrinking. The gaming landscape is going to look dramatically different in 10-15yrs.
Tbh PS5 being only 0.8M behind PS4 coming off a pandemic, dramatic shortages and currently at a higher price than at launch while the world-economy is in shambles, is actually mighty impressive.

In fact, it shows how strong the Playstation-brand is.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Unless it shrinks dramatically I don't think so. You'll still get huge-budget games. The market can't grow infinitely. I'd argue the economy being dogshit is contributing greatly to the current bump in the road. I've cut way back on game spending myself. I bet a lot of people have.

Mokus

SNES numbers are from era when the console market (and video gaming in general) was much smaller:
- it was bought mostly for kids and teenagers
- the competition was fierce and they won it with only 50 million units sold
- in Europe the popularity of the consoles was more limited
- because of the expensive cartridges games were to expensive so it was harder to sell it in poorer countries

Today 50 million sold units for a console manufacturer might not be a complete failure, but it is not enough when you have to sell your AAA games in the tens of millions to break even (not to mention bring big profits for the investors)

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Unless it shrinks dramatically I don't think so. You'll still get huge-budget games. The market can't grow infinitely. I'd argue the economy being dogshit is contributing greatly to the current bump in the road. I've cut way back on game spending myself. I bet a lot of people have.

The economy being shit is probably a contributor. But I say 10-15yrs, because the younger generation has completely different gaming habits.

Three

On a more serious note though, a conversation needs to be had on why MS doesn't just throw in the towel. At this point, not doing it is just another bad decision they are making.
There is no need to throw in the towel because they can milk those same people on hardware too. This time at a good markup/profit instead. Wouldn't matter if it sold less than the One or the Series either. They'd happily pay.

Then again, I guess they are trying to milk GP for all they can from the people that re still paying for it.

Yes, people would stay oblivious to it and remain subscribed. I still remember the lengthy arguments I got into for suggesting that MS would rather lower expenditure and milk GP users by spreading releases as far apart as possible without losing users rather than do monthly/quarterly releases because it just didn't make business sense to increase output like that. Had feynoob feynoob (kingfey at the time) and a bunch of now banned users saying they need to pump out games or risk losing users. 2 years later do they release a AAA game every quarter let alone every month @feynoob? Of course not they'd rather collect sub money from those GP users knowing they won't unsubscribe and spread releases out.

feynoob

Gold Member
There is no need to throw in the towel because they can milk those same people on hardware too. This time at a good markup/profit instead. Wouldn't matter if it sold less than the One or the Series either. They'd happily pay.

Yes, people would stay oblivious to it and remain subscribed. I still remember the lengthy arguments I got into for suggesting that MS would rather lower expenditure and milk GP users by spreading releases as far apart as possible without losing users rather than do monthly/quarterly releases because it just didn't make business sense to increase output like that. Had feynoob feynoob (kingfey at the time) and a bunch of now banned users saying they need to pump out games or risk losing users. 2 years later do they release a AAA game every quarter let alone every month @feynoob? Of course not they'd rather collect sub money from those GP users knowing they won't unsubscribe and spread releases out.
When you have someone like matt booty, it doesn't matter what you do.

That fucker closed tango, because he doesn't like flying alot, while letting 343i do shit nonstop.

feynoob

Gold Member
Xbox: ' You don't need to own a console to enjoy our games.'

Xbox: ' You don't need to buy our games, play them on Gamepass.'

Consumer: 'OK.'
I wonder if they will allow us to stream owned games. That might change how we play video games.

spons

Gold Member
I wonder if they're going to refund my digital library like Google did with Stadia. I wouldn't say no to a couple grand after they eventually pull the plug on the thing.

No chance it sells 50 million.

Try 40 million. Even 35m is looking like a stretch. Xbox series could be as low as 25m worldwide right now. It sold only 5m worldwide in 2023 and will sell even less than that this year. Over 20 years in the industry and they're going to sell a little more than the og xbox. Its not only the series consoles that are dead, but the entire xbox brand is finished.

Radical_3d

If the ratio (outside this quarter) is 2:1 to the PS5 and Sony ends up selling 120 million this generation Xbox can end with 50-60 mill.

This is laughable. Xbox series sold only 5m in 2023. Let's be generous and say xbox is at 30m right now (it's not by the way) they would need another 20m-30m for the rest of the console cycle. This is an impossibility as xbox is further declining which means they will sell even less this year than last. Could be as low as only 3m going by the last quarter of only 800k. Even 40m isn't achievable for xbox.

yazenov

If the ratio (outside this quarter) is 2:1 to the PS5 and Sony ends up selling 120 million this generation Xbox can end with 50-60 mill.
NO.

It's 3:1 in the US currently, and worldwide its something like 4 or 5:1

so around 140 million PS5, and at the best case for MS, 45 million XBS.

A more realistic figure is 40 million like some people suggested here or less given their multiplatform strategy, which makes their consoles irrelevant. This year we have seen a steep decline in sales. Next year will be much worse for XBS when the PS5 receives a price cut and the new release of the PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
And remember that this gen, MS has a budget-priced console (S) that makes up the majority of those sales numbers. I've heard 75%.

If the comparison were just PS5 vs. XSX (similar to previous gens), it would be a bloodbath.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

60 million isn't happening for Series X/S. It would be hard to see even 50 million as a success, although it's not even tracking there either

Xbox 360 - 84 million
Xbox One - 58 million
Xbox Series - 35-40 million?

This is not what success looks like

Topher

Gold Member
I mean, the Xbox One managed that much and is not precisely MS’s most brilliant idea.

Yeah, but Xbox One, for all its faults, hasn't had the stench of death around it like Xbox Series does. Ever since Phil Spencer publicly admitted defeat in the console war following the Redfall release debacle, Microsoft has somehow managed to drive away any potential excitement about Xbox for a large chunk of gamers. I can't say I have seen a company that has come across as entirely disinterested in selling its own product than Microsoft and Xbox consoles. As a result, we seem to have fewer people interested in Xbox Series than Xbox One. The sales reflect that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom