• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RG35XXSP Launches Today

xBlueStonex

RG35XXSP.jpg

Literally insta-bought two this morning. Pretty insane how good portable gaming has been recently!

mrcroket

Anbernic handhelds

I stopped getting excited about the handhelds these guys produce after a while. They manufacture handhelds like they're experimenting with a 3D printer. All the model names are similar to each other too. They need to bring some order to this.
The lineup is pretty straighforward if you have been following the releases, I do like their products and their different models so everyone can find their perfect handheld console.

I understand that it can be a hassle for newcomers though.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Looks awesome, love the GBA SP design of it, but as far as handhelds go I'd rather pick up a Gpd win mini or Retroid pocket pro 4. But the handheld market is the most exciting thing right now when it comes to hardware. And that comes from someone who never really cared about handheld gaming until the Switch.

Same chipset that has been used many times (looks like nobody is improving on the 3326 if you're not getting into the andoid super expensive range), no analogs and super stiff buttons (according to rgc they need double the force of the original gba sp to press)

Boglin

Steam deck has ruined these for me. Cool form factor tho.
Do you mostly use your steam deck at home?
It seems that for a lot of people they like to use these pocket sized handhelds to complement a larger one like the steam deck, but those people actually play games when out and about.

Ceadeus

It looks really cool but I already have an analogue pocket. Would there be any good reason to get this too?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am using a Retroid Pocket 4 Pro right now so I have no need for this. But still neat to see

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It looks really cool but I already have an analogue pocket. Would there be any good reason to get this too?
The advantage this will have over the Pocket would be the clamshell design and its ability to play PS1 and PSP games. Otherwise, this has a smaller and WAY lower resolution screen, worse battery life, software emulation (instead of the pockets FPGA), and no ability to play real cartridges.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Cool shit. Definitely a nostalgic form-factor. I already have the RG280V, otherwise I would probably pick one up. This is better since the clamshell protects the screen.

These ultra-portable handhelds are great. They are actually pocketable unlike pretty much any handheld bigger than a DS Lite. Way different use case than a Steam Deck or Switch. This is something you toss in your backpack or throw in the glove box without worrying about having a $300-600 handheld pc stolen or damaged.

El Muerto

I got a steam deck, but these little handhelds are great as they can fit in your pocket. But always hated how the SP felt, probably because i have beefy hands. These cheap devices are just e-trash though, they use a low end processor like a RK3356, RK3556, or H700 which can barely do N64 and PSP. If you want to get a decent one that can play some of the ps2/gc library then you need to shell out around $200 and get something like the Retroid Pocket 4 pro, or the RG556. Currently waiting for a sub $100 device that can do ps2/gc. In the meantime i'll stick with my Powkiddy x55.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I bought the transparent blue version just so I can use the easy picture art feature on the top of the device.

Having a 35xx plus and H, I don’t need this in any way but the form factor is too good to pass up.

From using batocera v40 the last few months on these , this handheld chipset is just about perfect. Playing Atari - ps1 is just about perfect and Dreamcast / n64 you can play many of the biggest hits. You can hook this up to tvs and Bluetooth controllers so my love affair with raspberry pi’s are over as it emulates everything the pi 4 does and is better at it.

Don’t sleep on these things as I have had more fun with these in the last 5 months then I have ever had with my switch. Even got me to dump more money into an AYN Odin 2 to emulate just about anything. I’m officially hooked 🥳

Btw retro achievements are awesome along with postmaster games. People are playing early 2000 PC games on this handheld right now. The future is hopefully pretty great.

Ceadeus

The advantage this will have over the Pocket would be the clamshell design and its ability to play PS1 and PSP games. Otherwise, this has a smaller and WAY lower resolution screen, worse battery life, software emulation (instead of the pockets FPGA), and no ability to play real cartridges.
Clamshell and PS1/PSP is neat though. If they release more color I might bite. Did you get one?

Top Bottom