• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Tomb Raider is Open-World, takes place in India

MrRibeye

It all makes sense now. This game is gonna be amazing.
Thanks for the reminder, I completely forgot about Jeff Ross having gone to Crystal Dynamics. :messenger_horns:

The way he describes his pitch for Days Gone 2 does sound eerily similar to this new Lara Croft game.
“We wanted co-op from the beginning [in Days Gone 1], but obviously you have to make concessions for what you’re not going to be able to do,” explained Ross during the conversation, as reported by VGC.

When asked by Jaffe if the ideas for a co-op mode would have been implemented in a sequel, Ross said: “It’s one of the things that we had in our pitch, yeah. It was the idea of a shared universe with co-op play.”

Explaining the vision for the co-op, Ross described it as: ”[taking] this world that you’ve built, and all these assets and systems, and repurpose them for some sort of similarly themed multiplayer version of this universe. So [it] would be with guys like Deacon trying to survive, building up a clubhouse or a crew. I think it would be fun to be in that world cooperatively and see what horde battles could be like.”

Hudo

Not marrying? With these assets?

17711734-1709755286.jpg
You know what? You're right.

Also: Any news on Tomb Raider IV and V remasters?

xrnzaaas

For fuck's sake, I don't want companions in Tomb Raider. Having Jonah act like a bitch all the time was annoying enough in the survivor trilogy... and now him and others are supposed to play a larger role?

5 villains, very stereotypical, including a rich man, a mob boss, and two brothers.
They're all going to be white dudes, aren't they?

Last edited:
For fuck's sake, I don't want companions in Tomb Raider. Having Jonah act like a bitch all the time was annoying enough in the survivor trilogy... and now him and others are supposed to play a larger role?

They're all going to be white dudes, aren't they?
Not only that but they will all look like and talk like Donald Trump for some mysterious reason

It gonna be infested with modern day western gaming trends. So a no for me.
That would include manly women, lesbians and all other types of fuckery to ruin a once great character and series. This world has gone completely insane with these weirdos designing these games. Their twisted sick minds have infected every facet of media and entertainment and they are allowed to keep pushing their bs agenda. Wont be buying this or any other game that pushes these weirdo‘s agendas.

Last edited:
Not liking the idea of "MMO elements" in a game like this. I was fine with the actual MP in 2013 and the Survival Co-Op DLC in RotTR. Had some very fun experiences with both of those. I don't want to be in an MMO having to rely on other players for trading and economy and finding a party to go raid a tomb. I don't mind non-lethal combat as I play MGS games using only CQC and tranquilizers in most areas so I'm totally fine with that.

This could be good. It could also be bad. I'll just wait and see.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Gotta see how it ends up being, I really liked the reboot trilogy but these days you can't even trust proven quality since weird changes can be made to sequels for the sake of "modern audiences"

These studios are terrified of having to make intricately designed levels lmao. Open World is like the lowest effort shit.
This times a million.

Designing stuff like the original Tomb Raider, Ico, Exhumed, etc. takes genuine talent. Open world stuff can be thrown together with far less thought, talent or ability. They can then focus on good graphics and mindless tasks.

There's certainly a place for games like that (I'm currently playing Far Cry 4 and I love it) but I don't want every game to go down that route. Particularly when they started out so well crafted.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This times a million.

Designing stuff like the original Tomb Raider, Ico, Exhumed, etc. takes genuine talent. Open world stuff can be thrown together with far less thought, talent or ability. They can then focus on good graphics and mindless tasks.

There's certainly a place for games like that (I'm currently playing Far Cry 4 and I love it) but I don't want every game to go down that route. Particularly when they started out so well crafted.
Not sure I agree that open world is automatically lower effort and doesn't come with it's own challenges, but I also don't see it as a positive when a game is announced.

Like you I think there are some games that do it well, obviously BOTW/TOTK benefit from it, for example. Halo Infinite's mix of open world and actual crafted levels in enclosed bases, etc. worked well, and that could well be something that works here.

Too many open world games just have a big space then copy and posted areas with enemies standing around waiting to be activated. That's my prevailing image of open world games.

That and 300 Ubisoft games with a map filled with icons.

Essentially, Tomb Raider doesn't need much aside from the tomb raiding. I'm not sure currently how much fun there is to be had driving a jeep between those tombs.

Open World Tomb Raider could be something special if they actual nail the sense of exploration and discovery in the way Elden Ring did. That is stumbling about vast unique looking dungeons.

But they very easily could miss the mark on that. There will be Tombs sure, but there could be 100 of the sameish looking tombs that take 15-30 minutes to complete.
I think you'll be disappointed if you expect anything close to the level of ER. More likely it will be a Ubisoft open world ripoff with some decent set pieces along the way.

Exactly. The best part of every Tomb Raider game is exploring hand crafted environments that were rich in variety and exploration avenues, but still features linear progression. You lose some of that charm when you go open world. I'm so fucking tired of this trait of every big game wanting to be open world. Please stop it. I am now immediately skeptical about this one.
But you can’t pad out a linear game with generic side activities that easily.

You’d end up with less then 100 hours of gameplay even! 😲

Majormaxxx

Lara started out as what current youth would call a "boss bitch" and by 2013 they turned her into a literal pussy.

But that apparently is not enough.

Now she has to be a fugly lesbian with mental health issues and generational guilt in order to obliterate the "male gaze" (which made her successful in the first place).

Why can't they make her current by turning her in an instagram influencer with a heart of gold and a gyatt that won't stop fr fr no cap.

Lara started out as what current youth would call a "boss bitch" and by 2013 they turned her into a literal pussy.

But that apparently is not enough.

Now she has to be a fugly lesbian with mental health issues and generational guilt in order to obliterate the "male gaze" (which made her successful in the first place).

Why can't they make her current by turning her in an instagram influencer with a heart of gold and a gyatt that won't stop fr fr no cap.
It's going to be funny for her going to India, where the game devs will pretend the local men there are peaceful lmao.

Stafford

Companions as in we can choose to play as them or nah? Because if yes, then that rumor about "Tomb Raiders" might turn out to be true. Story wise it was......not great. I hope to god that was bullshit.

Ah, I hadn't fully read everything yet. It seems we won't be playing as them. Good, TR is Lara. I honestly don't need companions at all.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Banned
Spells…Ubishit…This is why I despise Crystal Dynamics and how they handled TR. Seriously fuck this game if its true, goddamn gaming is such a dumpster fire these days

Madflavor

I think you'll be disappointed if you expect anything close to the level of ER. More likely it will be a Ubisoft open world ripoff with some decent set pieces along the way.

I’m not expecting anything good. The direction they’re taking Lara as a character sounds completely fucking lame, and Open World sounds dreadful.

SaintALia

Yeah, none of this sounds good to me.

More power to the people who it does sound good to or fans of the reboot looking for an upgrade to the game though. Maybe a miracle happens, and they manage to spin off a game similar to the older games is my hope. It'll never happen, but it's nice to have dreams.

SCB3

Whats strange to me is the Remakes did a lot of business and proves there is a place in gaming for Puzzle Adventure games like TR, so make more of them? I liked the Reboot and Rise of ok, but that formula was so burnt out that I still have yet to touch Shadow

Lions Gate

Banned
  • "Generic Ubigame" structure.
  • 4 companions with their own habilities.
  • Open or semi-open world, not clear.
  • Lara would have a motorcycle, to make it easier for players to explore.
  • MMO elements.
  • 5 villains, very stereotypical, including a rich man, a mob boss, and two brothers.
  • Familiar characters returning, Jonah Maiava and Kurtis Trent.
  • Lara will have a skill tree with spells.
  • The game is a mix of various trends and genres.

Literally nothing about this game is appealing to me. And that's before even knowing how they DEI-d the whole thing to death.
i pity jonah, bro got friendzoned so hard :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Filben

All I want is Lara to kick ass and stop whining about every little tragedy. If they don't use the Ubicrap formula it can be open world, I don't mind. But a little less self-centered dialogue and more confidence is what I want. You can give her plenty personality without her expressively telling.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Ways to make this game super successful

1. Use Sydney Sweeney or Salma Hayek or Jessica Nigri as the character model and use some deep V cut outfits

2. Don't have her apologize for raiding tombs. Have her lecture the natives on the positives of colonialism like the "what have the Romans ever done for us" thing from Life of Brian.

3. Every time a gaming journalist complains about these things just double down and make the boobs bigger and Laura take another native artifact and maybe deface it in front of everyone.

Alan Wake

Semi-open could work. But I would detest an open world Tomb Raider filled with pointless and uninspiring missions scattered all over as question marks just to fill the map with something.

Can see it already……lots of apologizing for the evil colonialism of the past. Spewing hatred for the evil WHITE MEN who led these expeditions and plundered civilizations treasures and artifacts. Propably will rail against her own father at some point. Embrace the fact she has now become woke and sees the world for what it truly is in her eyes…….a racist, mysogynist filled hellhole waiting for her to white knight and save the poor people who have been victims for so many years. And last but not least, she will be a proud lesbian who hates men for what they have done since the dawn of time in terms of conquering and discovering. Yeah, that about wraps up where UBICRAP is most likely headed with the new tomb raider. She may even decide to go trans at some point and become Larry Croft…….who the bloody hell knows anymore with the literal CLOWN WORLD we are living in.

The absolute worst parts of the most recent trilogy are the open world elements even though they are relatively small. Meanwhile the linear gameplay, tombs and lairs are fantastic. Why must every game go open world.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tomb raider has stepped up to the plate, I mean the games were semi open world going full open world is a good choice and shows progress.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The absolute worst parts of the most recent trilogy are the open world elements even though they are relatively small. Meanwhile the linear gameplay, tombs and lairs are fantastic. Why must every game go open world.
Because it shows “progress”.

Sephimoth

It'll be shit because its Crystal Dynamics.

Not that I care, but let's say Lara takes artefacts from ruins of civilizations/tribes that have died out centuries ago. Who exactly is she stealing from?

Last edited:
You know, I'd

Fuck that.

Just for shits and giggles, I'd like to see her go pure colonial. A die-hard supporter of the British Empire who takes what she wants.

That'd be better

I'm not interested in playing what's been rumored

But your idea?

Fuck that shit too

Last edited:
Top Bottom