• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield May Update - Adds 40/60 hz Options for Series X and More QoL Updates (May 15)

JackMcGunns

Tried spider man , ratchet, horizon forbidden west ... as I said it is marginally better than 30 fps ... a lot worse than 60 fps.. to my eyes is not a proper substitute or "balanced/best of two worlds" in any way .. is dog shit just as 30 fps ... is another option for those who can withstand slow fps .... but anytime someone tries to cope and push this as some ultimate solution I just roll my eyes and carry on .. its just absurd

A 33% improvement is “marginal” in what planet? I get people have opinions, but it’s nothing more than that, an opinion. Also if you don’t like the 40fps option, then use the 60hz option.

LordCBH

Starfield will also have an unlocked FPS which should go beyond 40 in the Quality mode in theory. But the point I was trying to make is that a locked 40 is a big improvement in responsiveness and smoothness over a locked 30, even if 30 is paired with some really good motion blur.

I’m actually really interested in how that unlocked mode performs. As far as I’m concerned, the more games that have these options the better. VRR TV’s have been awesome to have.

consoul

Looking forward to hearing impressions on this patch. Starfield has dropped below half price at my local gamestore and 40Hz quality mode is making me think about picking it up.

After 8 months, I'm sure a lot of issues have been worked out. Fundamental issues will of course remain, but it feels like this might be worth a shot now.

Looking at nexus, it seems that this update will break the mesh mods already. Bethesda did some changes, which is really strange, in the past games they didn't mess around with the meshes structure.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Looking forward to hearing impressions on this patch. Starfield has dropped below half price at my local gamestore and 40Hz quality mode is making me think about picking it up.

After 8 months, I'm sure a lot of issues have been worked out. Fundamental issues will of course remain, but it feels like this might be worth a shot now.
Id say hold off until the expansion if youve waited this long. I had a ton of fun with the game but i can acknowledge it does have some serious flaws.

I'd wait till the DLC drops as there's bound to be more Updates when that launches.

BA9J9kC.gif

Treat it like a GAAS title with first major update.

Community will let you know when its time to play. You will start seeing praise in threads / posts / tweets etc.

mdkirby

I’m not getting the feeling from this that they are taking a no man’s sky redemption arc approach :(

I’ll be patient, you never know, maybe they’ll surprise me and in a few years it might be good. Till then the 20-30hr I sank into it will remain that.

I’m not getting the feeling from this that they are taking a no man’s sky redemption arc approach :(

I’ll be patient, you never know, maybe they’ll surprise me and in a few years it might be good. Till then the 20-30hr I sank into it will remain that.
Well, they are working on the game, building new quests and expansions.

Must be doing it to improve the game right?

anthony2690

Gold Member
Looking forward to this and the first expansion, I genuinely loved this game to my surprise.

I intially started it thinking I'll play a little and drop off/not enjoy it like fallout new Vegas & 4 sadly.

But it hooked me and I went through the entire game and all the faction quests, dropped at Ng+ as I don't like losing my items, so I reverted my save prior to beating the game and now awaiting the expansion :)

KiteGr

The what now?!

Ah, yes! Starfield. I had forgotten about it.

These Bethesda games where a ritualistic call for moders to gather over one game. If moders have ignored the call, then what's left is nothing special.

Hugare

Well, they are working on the game, building new quests and expansions.

Must be doing it to improve the game right?
Not quite

They are making story expansions. They made those for Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim etc., but those hardly changed the game's core, they've only added story content (and new weapons etc.)

I wouldnt hold my breath for something like No Man's Sky out of this game. From my past experience with Bethesda over the years, they are no Hello Games. Stuff that was broken kept on being broken.

I would love being wrong, 'cause I see the potential here, but dont hold your breath for Bethesda

Not quite

They are making story expansions. They made those for Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim etc., but those hardly changed the game's core, they've only added story content (and new weapons etc.)

I wouldnt hold my breath for something like No Man's Sky out of this game. From my past experience with Bethesda over the years, they are no Hello Games. Stuff that was broken kept on being broken.

I would love being wrong, 'cause I see the potential here, but dont hold your breath for Bethesda
Bethesda has done even better than Hello Games with Fallout 76.

What’s missing in Starfield is stuff to do on planets. They have confirmed they are working on quests. Sounds like they know what needs to be done.

Hugare

Bethesda has done even better than Hello Games with Fallout 76.

What’s missing in Starfield is stuff to do on planets. They have confirmed they are working on quests. Sounds like they know what needs to be done.
They had to, F76 was GAAS. Starfield is not.

There's so much more missing in Starfield than just stuff to do on planets, imo. But I made peace with it already, knowing that most likely will never reach what I expected from it.

It's frustrating to notice that it has actually regressed in some ways compared to past Bethesda titles

Last edited:
Not quite

I've never seen Bethesda expansions fundamentally alter any of their games. If you really don't like the game, you're not gonna like it going forward.

If you like almost everything about it but think it could use a few extra features, and more variety in randomized content plugged into the planet tiles, then maybe they'll do that.

Woody337

It is not, what happens is that no developer is taking full advantage of everything it offers.
So you mean to tell me that EVERY microsoft developer is ignoring what the hardware has???? Give me a break. Its a fake bullet point on the side of the box and thats all it will ever be.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So you mean to tell me that EVERY microsoft developer is ignoring what the hardware has???? Give me a break. Its a fake bullet point on the side of the box and thats all it will ever be.

Do you know what it even is? It's not an on/off toggle, it's a combination of multiple things, some like Direct Storage API which PC games are taking advantage of now too.

IDWhite

The made limited use of the various VA architecture functions mainly because the are avoiding incompatibilities and the extra work on R&D of alternative paths on other platforms that don't support those hardware and software features. Like Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) which is implemented in only a few games.

This it not as simple as make a change on one line of code. In some cases, developers need to completely rethink some parts of their engines to really take advantage of what the hardware could offer, and at the same time make them compatible with other platforms that do not support those functions.

intbal

The made limited use of the various VA architecture functions mainly because the are avoiding incompatibilities and the extra work on R&D of alternative paths on other platforms that don't support those hardware and software features. Like Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) which is implemented in only a few games.

This it not as simple as make a change on one line of code. In some cases, developers need to completely rethink some parts of their engines to really take advantage of what the hardware could offer, and at the same time make them compatible with other platforms that do not support those functions.

It's not implemented in any games.
DF said it's only being currently investigated for future use.

Woody337

You last sentence is another problem altogether. They arent supporting anything they supposedly put in their own flagship box!!!

intbal

And it's a damn shame, on-paper (and in presentations) it reduces the memory footprint pretty significantly.

1366_2000.jpg

It might require too much re-working of the game engines (and asset pipeline) that developers are currently using. That's time and money that they're just not going to spend when they've already got solutions which work for them. Especially now, when devs inside Microsoft are likely fearing termination if they don't ship highly profitable games.

adamsapple

Is it confirmed that all the same modes from Fallout 4 will be in Starfield?

Yes, that's what they said in the announcement, it'll let you choose 30/40/60/Uncap and Performance/Quality as separate toggles.

Probably gonna see a lot more drops in the cities, but expecting the general 'world' and dungeon traversal to be much smoother.

Downloading it now but not sure if I'll get a chance to check it within the next hour.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what they said in the announcement, it'll let you choose 30/40/60/Uncap and Performance/Quality as separate toggles.

Probably gonna see a lot more drops in the cities, but expecting the general 'world' and dungeon traversal to be much smoother.

Downloading it now but not sure if I'll get a chance to check it within the next hour.
Quality 60fps with VRR is hopefully good enough, then.

adamsapple

Full patch notes at the link below, did not copy the massive bug fixes segment.

They've added a straight up V-Sync on/off option on the Xbox version, kinda crazy and will only benefit VRR display owners, but good that they're supporting it.

Starfield’s latest update is here and it’s bringing several new features with it!
  • Improved surface maps - We’ve heard your feedback, and we’ve made some big improvements to surface maps, so you’ll always know just where to go and no longer “get lost” on the way to your parents’ place (and they weren’t buying that excuse anyway, you should really go visit them).
  • New gameplay options - For those of you who like a bit of an extra challenge or want to make some aspects of the game easier, you can customize your experience with brand new options in the Settings menu. Want to make ground combat harder but ship combat easier? You can do just that!
  • Added Ship Decoration mode to the interior of Ships – now you can decorate your ships just like you can with Outposts!
  • Added Tabs to Container menus to make managing your inventory easier.
  • Added the ability to change Traits and appearance after entering the Unity.
  • Added Dialogue camera toggle in the Settings.
  • Added Display settings for Xbox Series X to prioritize Visuals or Performance, adjust Frame Rate Target, and toggle VSync (Series X).
That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Read on for a full list of fixes and improvements!

Xbox Series X Display Settings

We’ve heard from many that you’d like to have more control over the graphic fidelity and performance on Xbox, similar to how PC players can customize their experience. We’re now enabling that on Xbox Series X with a few options that you can use to find the best fit for your playstyle and display.

For each of these, we highly recommend a Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) Display running at 120hz, and to verify your Xbox is setup to use it. If you have it setup this way, Starfield will now default to a frame rate target of 40, while keeping the priority for full visuals.
  • Frame Rate Target: You can now choose between 30, 40, 60 or an Uncapped frame rate on VRR displays. If you do not have a VRR display running 120hz, you will still be able to select from 30 or 60. Screen tearing may occur at times when selecting 60 on a non-VRR display.
  • Prioritize: You can now prioritize between Visuals and Performance while trying to maintain the frame rate target. If you’re choosing a frame rate target of 60 or above, we recommend changing this to Performance. Prioritizing Visuals keeps the highest resolution while maintaining full detail for special effects, lighting, and crowds. Prioritizing Performance lowers internal resolution and detail for special effects, lighting, and crowds. Both modes may adjust internal resolution dynamically when scenes or action get heavier as well. When switching between modes, you will see the lighting change briefly as the system catches up to the new mode.
  • VSync: You can now toggle between VSync off or on. Choosing off will separate the game frames from the monitor's refresh rate, and may result in screen tearing. Toggling On will synchronize the frame rate to the monitor's refresh rate avoiding screen tearing but limiting number of frames.

Last edited:

geary

In my run i used console command to increase my carrying capacity, but now with the setting i want to go back to the default one and use the new toggles. Anyone know which is the default carrying capacity with no perk and separate with perk rank 4?

Top Bottom