• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Developer Shift Up addresses censorship claims "This is our final product. We are discussing this internally"

Same ol G

So you're telling me that NG+ in its entirety is on the disc and they just had you download gigs for no reason. Most of the costumes are palette swaps so yes them remaining from the original design that's on the disc would fit on 40MB.
Yeah sure all the censored outfits are put in your 40mb savefile cause it's just pallete swaps.
Sure Jan GIF

Last edited:

Three

Yeah sure all the censored outfits are put in your 40mb savefile cause it's just pallet swaps.
Sure Jan GIF
Not very smart I see. When you go back to 1.00 you no longer have the "censored outfits". You have the uncensored outfits that's on disc with different colours. Hex colour codes don't even take a kb.

No because the data could reside in the save file too once created.
Huh? The yellow and black outfit from the trailer is available within the unpatched disc installation and can be accessed with a NG+ save. The data doesn't come from a save file because save files are just information for trigger flag calls.

Same ol G

Not very smart I see. When you go back to 1.00 you no longer have the "censored outfits". You have the uncensored outfits that's on disc with different colours. Hex colour codes don't even take a kb.
Do you even read what you say.
My argument is those files are on the disc and you have to patch for the censored version.
Now you're arguing you need to delete the patch to get the uncensored version, so what is your argument with the save file cause first they had everything in the savefile but removing the patch and not the savefile reverts everything.

Also calling people not smart in an argument says a lot about you as a person.

Three

Do you even read what you say.
My argument is those files are on the disc and you have to patch for the censored version.
Now you're arguing you need to delete the patch to get the uncensored version, so what is your argument with the save file cause first they had everything in the savefile but removing the patch and not the savefile reverts everything.
The trick is that you install the 1.0.0.2 patch you get NG+ and create a save file with 1.0.0.2. Then revert to 1.0.0 to get the uncensored outfits that are on disc with that new save file. You don't get any "censored" outfits.

Huh? The yellow and black outfit from the trailer is available within the unpatched disc installation and can be accessed with a NG+ save. The data doesn't come from a save file because save files are just information for trigger flag calls.
Save data on PS are not just trigger flag calls. You wouldn't have the whole "convert your PS4 game save to PS5" issue if it were just trigger flag calls.

Last edited:

violence

When you’re pushing things like they were, you’re gonna have to tone things back down. I would love the game to be uncensored but this was bound to happen given that it’s Sony and only one version for the whole world.

The trick is that you install the 1.0.0.2 patch you get NG+ and create a save file with 1.0.0.2. Then revert to 1.0.0 to get the uncensored outfits that are on disc with that new save file. You don't get any "censored" outfits.

Save data on PS are not just trigger flag calls. You wouldn't have the whole "convert your PS4 game save to PS5" issue if it were just trigger flag calls.
That's because they're different systems. The data that has to be trigger called when you load up the save won't necessarily have the exact naming structure or layout. So yeah, the save has to be converted to be properly recognized. On the other hand, I can take a save file from my desktop and copy and paste it to my laptop or deck and it just works. That's obviously because they're the same x86 platform and there are no differences with the game build. You might not be able to use someone else's save file in certain games though, and that's because there are unique identifiers that tie those saves to the account they were created with.

Three

That's because they're different systems. The data that has to be trigger called when you load up the save won't necessarily have the exact naming structure or layout. So yeah, the save has to be converted to be properly recognized. On the other hand, I can take a save file from my desktop and copy and paste it to my laptop or deck and it just works. That's obviously because they're the same x86 platform and there are no differences with the game build. You might not be able to use someone else's save file in certain games though, and that's because there are unique identifiers that tie those saves to the account they were created with.
You're conflating a lot of different things here. Moving a save file from your desktop to your laptop is possible but not for those reasons. it's the same game build but you can even transfer it to a build thats compiled on ARM if you wanted as long as the data format is what the game expects. Has nothing to do with both being x86 and has to do with what's stored on the game save and how different versions of a game read it. Ps4 and PS5 are both x86 surely it would just read the save data fine if it's just trigger flags then, correct?

You're using a 1.0.0.2 save file on version 1.0.0.0 of a game. are these the same builds of the game? No, but the data format that the game expects from the save data hasn't changed but includes new data.

Last edited:

SSfox

I'm not big fan of the revealing outfits tbh. Not because it's revealing but it's just nothing crazy about those in terms of artistic design

jason10mm

Gold Member
No but you can download the NG+ patch play the game and save with the patch. uninstall and reinstall the game and your ng+ kind of remains on 1.00. People claiming that it's on the disc are lying. It's not.
So is this the workaround to get the "advantages" of the patch but keep the original costumes from the disc version? I'm starting to lose my GAF about all of this but seems easy enough to do.

Madflavor

So much for the "it's only 2 outfits" thing.

It never was, some people just didn't listen. As of now we know for sure that the following outfits were changed:

1. Holiday Rabbit
2. Cybernetic Bondage
3. Ocean Maid
4. Black Pearl
5. Moutan Peony

There are other outfits we don't have confirmation on yet, but you can easily spot certain layers on some of them that look like they were tacked on.

got some more censor.... wait
InlMs0b.png

XAuwebg.jpeg

Funny you should bring up the Black and Red Pearl outfits since we just found out yesterday those were censored too.

GMfvHYwXwAAV6dD

Last edited:

Senhua

It never was, some people just didn't listen. As of now we know for sure that the following outfits were changed:

1. Holiday Rabbit
2. Cybernetic Bondage
3. Ocean Maid
4. Black Pearl
5. Moutan Peony

There are other outfits we don't have confirmation on yet, but you can easily spot certain layers on some of them that look like they were tacked on.
I think SIE & SU are using the strategy of gating all the "risky" clothes behind some heavy progression quests like Can Collection or NG+, making the first playthrough completely safe (which is why the Holiday Bunny outfit has been altered).

They ensure that the first playthrough is entirely safe while offering riskier costumes in NG+ (which is why we need to play twice to unlock all the costumes).

If SU decides to make the unaltered costume back, they would likely do so exclusively for NG+ only.

Madflavor

I think SIE & SU are using the strategy of gating all the "risky" clothes behind some heavy progression quests like Can Collection or NG+, making the first playthrough completely safe (which is why the Holiday Bunny outfit has been altered).

They ensure that the first playthrough is entirely safe while offering riskier costumes in NG+ (which is why we need to play twice to unlock all the costumes).

If SU decides to make the unaltered costume back, they would likely do so exclusively for NG+ only.

Every outfit is obtainable in NG. NG+ only offers palette swaps of the same outfit.

rofif

Banned

1. Holiday Rabbit
2. Cybernetic Bondage
3. Ocean Maid
4. Black Pearl
5. Moutan Peony

Funny you should bring up the Black and Red Pearl outfits since we just found out yesterday those were censored too.

GMfvHYwXwAAV6dD
censored?
that bit on a stomach? cmon lol

Three

So is this the workaround to get the "advantages" of the patch but keep the original costumes from the disc version? I'm starting to lose my GAF about all of this but seems easy enough to do.
You don't really get the advantages of the patch. so you wouldn't have things like the latency delay fix, options for CA, etc but for example your save file being created on 1.0.0.2 will now have data entries for additional post patch costumes using prepatch models.

Take these two versions of the patched 1.0.0.2 costume for example:

Screenshot-20240502-171326-You-Tube.jpg

This version is what gets unlocked on NG+ on the patched 1.0.0.2:

Screenshot-20240502-171304-You-Tube.jpg

If you create this NG+ save file only possible on 1.0.0.2 you can then revert to 1.0.0.0 and it uses the old model without the small underboob cover (on the disc) but the entry for this colour palette costume remains on your 1.0.0.2 save file so you can look at this costume without the small fabric cover.

Last edited:

Senhua

Every outfit is obtainable in NG. NG+ only offers palette swaps of the same outfit.
Ah, then I will postpone my NG+ playthrough until they release the unaltered patch.
If not, well, the game will sit in my PS library as a reminder to never preorder from SU again.

Three

As far as I know there is only 2 modified/"censored" costumes, Holiday Rabbit and Cybernetic Bondage. I went to check out this comparision video and I don't see any change/"
People have expanded their take of "11th hour censorship" to mean anything modified even before the 1.0.0 version is now censorship. So they've posted some blurry pics from god knows were (maybe in development pics? ) and now say the unpatched 1.0.0 disc version is censored too.

Last edited:

SSfox

There are lot of revealing designs I like. Ivy from SC, Christie in Tekken, Ino GG or Bayonetta in part 1 and 2. Stellar Blade revealing outfits are not too much my taste tho tbh, but she has some nice ones like the default one.

Senhua

There are lot of revealing designs I like. Ivy from SC, Christie in Tekken, Ino GG or Bayonetta in part 1 and 2. Stellar Blade revealing outfits are not too much my taste tho tbh, but she has some nice ones like the default one.
I think the best one still her skin suit. I only play at 1.002 though, so dunno about the stuff in 1.000

jason10mm

Gold Member
You don't really get the advantages of the patch. so you wouldn't have things like the latency delay fix, options for CA, etc but for example your save file being created on 1.0.0.2 will now have data entries for additional post patch costumes using prepatch models.

Take these two versions of the patched 1.0.0.2 costume for example:

Screenshot-20240502-171326-You-Tube.jpg

This version is what gets unlocked on NG+ on the patched 1.0.0.2:

Screenshot-20240502-171304-You-Tube.jpg

If you create this NG+ save file only possible on 1.0.0.2 you can then revert to 1.0.0.0 and it uses the old model without the small underboob cover (on the disc) but the entry for this colour palette costume remains on your 1.0.0.2 save file so you can look at this costume without the small fabric cover.
Huh, so is this something I need to restart a game for it to work? I'm like a few hours into my 1.0 play, so could I now update to NG+, pop in to my save, play for a few minutes, then save it again, reinstall 1.0, and be GTG? TBH I may just update and move on, but always got the disc just in case. This all seems like it's gonna get resolved with the OG costumes released eventually anyway.

graywolf323

Yes censored. I don't establish what constitutes what is too much, but apparently they thought that "bit" was too much. And it's more than a "bit", it covers up a lot of her waist.
honestly at this rate people are using censored so much that it’s just like the woke crowd throwing out the term racist, bigot, etc.

but I guess as the saying goes, if the only tool you have is a hammer, it is tempting to treat everything as if it were a nail.

Last edited:

Three

Huh, so is this something I need to restart a game for it to work? I'm like a few hours into my 1.0 play, so could I now update to NG+, pop in to my save, play for a few minutes, then save it again, reinstall 1.0, and be GTG? TBH I may just update and move on, but always got the disc just in case. This all seems like it's gonna get resolved with the OG costumes released eventually anyway.
From what I understand of how it works that should be fine. You can do it (revert to 1.0.0.0) at any point after you've created the NG+ save on ver 1.0.0.2 but I haven't tested it.

From the looks of it, it just creates new entries in your savefile kind of like this as an example but not exactly

ID:Cybernetic Bondage
3D Model: Bondage from gamedata
Strap colour: red
Suit colur: white

ID:Autonetic Bondage
3D model: Bondage from gamedata
Strap colour: gold
Suit Colour: black

So when you switch between 1.0.0.2. And 1.0.0.1 all it is doing is reverting or updating the 3D model used because gamedata is changing but the entries in your savefile are unaffected.

Last edited:

Madflavor

honestly at this rate people are using censored so much that it’s just like the woke crowd throwing out the term racist, bigot, etc.

but I guess as the saying goes, if the only tool you have is a hammer, it is tempting to treat everything as if it were a nail.

Oxford language definition of "Censored"

examine (a book, movie, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.

If Sony reviews a game's artwork and character design, and finds some parts of the design objectionable and orders the developer to change their art, that falls under the umbrella of censorship.

bigbulgogi

Neo Member
Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but if their entire argument is that these were just some last minute changes they wanted to make regardless and definitely not censorship, then are there any examples of other costumes that are changed in any significant way that would not be considered censorship? Any outfits that were changed to show more skin or different skin? Or changes that don't impact the amount of skin shown at all? Or are all of those last minute changes that were 100% their artistic vision just covering her up more? just a little big think

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The image shows a confirmed alteration, between the 1.00 version of the game found on certain discs and a visual update made by the day-one patch. You're welcome to find the change insignificant, but it was a change, nonetheless.

If its not significant in itself why should anyone care?

Like I said, its a reach, and one that diminishes rather than strengthens the complaint.

Do you really not understand how this comes across to anybody not already invested in your side of the argument?

Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but if their entire argument is that these were just some last minute changes they wanted to make regardless and definitely not censorship, then are there any examples of other costumes that are changed in any significant way that would not be considered censorship? Any outfits that were changed to show more skin or different skin? Or changes that don't impact the amount of skin shown at all? Or are all of those last minute changes that were 100% their artistic vision just covering her up more? just a little big think
Speaking only of the changes made by the day-one patch to the un-patched game found on certain discs, the three confirmed alterations (the Rabbit, Bondage, and bikini) all saw more material added, which is to say less skin exposure. The China dress also appears without its hosiery, during an in-game tutorial, but isn't technically affected as a usable outfit by the patch. None of the outfits had their exposure lessened by the day-one patch.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
For a game that in my mind is supposed to be about sex sells, censorship is the worst news you could generate on it. Oh well, not like it really needs any help going by the sales threads, but pretty disappointment to see that games that are clearly designed to do whatever the fuck they want to do still can't.

Mexen

I don’t even know what this game is about but I can tell you that I have seen that character in more outfits than I care to admit.

If its not significant in itself why should anyone care?
People are welcome to find the change insignificant and not care. It's a change, simple as that, which some may find worth noting.

Like I said, its a reach, and one that diminishes rather than strengthens the complaint.
There's no reach in pointing-out a fact that a change was made. People are complaining about various things with Stellar Blade. If changes made by the day-one patch are seen as bothersome, then the bikini is another example.

Do you really not understand how this comes across to anybody not already invested in your side of the argument?
I don't care.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
All changes found to our knowledge only cover up slightly more skin. We have not seen any alterations that makes Eve skimpier/sexier/hotter/wear less. But it's not so much about the censorship but the lie. It just proves the devs were disingenuous about keeping an uncensored game with a R18+/CERO-Z rating.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't care.

You should though, because you're trying to make a point in order to effect change. Correct?

Basic rule of debate, negotiation, any sort of process where you are trying to convert people over to your side, is not to forward flimsy or inconsequential points because they diminish the argument and weaken your bargaining position.

Hence, tragic.

If you resort to "look I'm not crazy for noticing this" argumentation you are already conceding the debate. Its a fall-back position, when ideally you want to be changing the minds of the people who are opposing your beliefs.

Last edited:

Senhua

For a game that in my mind is supposed to be about sex sells, censorship is the worst news you could generate on it. Oh well, not like it really needs any help going by the sales threads, but pretty disappointment to see that games that are clearly designed to do whatever the fuck they want to do still can't.
These days, any game marketed with the "sex sells" approach should be approached cautiously due to the possibility of alterations via day-one patches, especially if published by an infamous publisher known for altering content to appeal to international, mainstream, or normies audiences

As example this is the new release in summer 2024
uyk79qbfowxc1.jpeg

Last edited:

Crayon

No. That's the best evidence that the changes were asked of them. But I have a feeling it never goes that direction for these guys. :messenger_grinning_sweat: All the costumes probably started as different pasties, heels, and thongs.

Which really, I have not seen many people considering. When people were worried about censorship happening from the trailers to the final, I was trying to point out how much must have happened during development that we didn't see.

Minsc

Gold Member
These days, any game marketed with the "sex sells" approach should be approached cautiously due to the possibility of alterations via day-one patches, especially if published by an infamous publisher known for altering content to appeal to international, mainstream, or normies audiences

As example this is the new release in summer 2024
uyk79qbfowxc1.jpeg

Yeah, that stinks too. It would be like releasing Berserk again today and editing the scenes from the last episode. Damn that hit me hard when I watched it. Messed me up good, but that is the point. Censoring it defeats that.

Still, in that game above, it looks super generic (the art style from the pic thumbnails on Amazon). So I'm not going to lose much sleep over that one, personally anyway.

You should though, because you're trying to make a point in order to effect change. Correct?

Basic rule of debate, negotiation, any sort of process where you are trying to convert people over to your side, is not to forward flimsy or inconsequential points because they diminish the argument and weaken your bargaining position.

Hence, tragic.
I'm not trying to debate or convert anyone. The day-one patch made certain changes, and the bikini is one of them. My point is that the change isn't a "reach," it's simply a fact.

Crayon

The point I was making was not to insult JunkerWoland, but to point out that the fundamental basis of the anti-censorship argument is proving harm was done to the work.

Hence demonstrating the point with evidence that is so inconsequential to proving harm was done, is basically self-sabotage in the context of the debate.

Mods: I was actually editing the post to clear this up when it was nuked.

When I say something awful I report my own post after I edit lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
When I say something awful I report my own post after I edit lol.

I dunno man, I didn't feel like I was being overly hostile!

It should have been obvious that I was attacking the argument not the person because it was about the utility of the comparison in terms of furthering the argument that the costume should be changed back to its pre-patch state.

Top Bottom