• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

XXL

Unless they skip a tonne of steps in a rush (not realistically possible) or this HW is something very different than a traditional console like Series X, then I can't see this as a possible launch date.
GFSLDq4XgAA3IR-.png

This leak is one of the best leaks of all time as far as I'm concerned. It's all coming true.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just can't see how this could be true based on MS's own timeline slides from their FTC leak. That had the SOC design complete 4 years before console release which for a late '26 console would be late '22. Never mind all the other dozens of steps, milestones, and disclosures. Plus we surely would have had a lot of leaks by now if we're 2 years out just like we have with all previous consoles....

Unless they skip a tonne of steps in a rush (not realistically possible) or this HW is something very different than a traditional console like Series X, then I can't see this as a possible launch date. I mean the same FTC slides have them disclosing to 3rd parties 2 years before launch and you know our boy HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 would have these details....!

*IF* late '26 is the time then we *have* to get solid leaks from the big guns in the next 3 months IMO.
It was like Aug of last year I posted Xbox would not have an answer for the PS5 Pro and wanted to jump start next gen a good 2 years ahead of the PS6

I still stand by my post this is happening and I would not rule out late in 25

No way Bond would have said twice recently about their tech leap if it wasn’t coming for 4 or 5 more years, they are deep in this machine

Specs are out there and I bet close to PS5 Pro launch the specs “leak”

Darsxx82

S. Bond herself has stated that they have accelerated the development of their NextGen Xbox... It is clear that the launch will be early.
Now, making threads of any rumor from a random random person is totally unnecessary.

On the other hand, the hardware announcements at the Showcase are going to be interesting. They definitely should have some kind of XSX revision.

It cannot be that at this point the same hardware is being sold when there should already be something that would reduce costs.

Is the new remote this gen? Or will they leave it to accompany the next one?Will they announce their hardware waves based on a "project" like Scorpio (XBO X)?

NickFire

It was like Aug of last year I posted Xbox would not have an answer for the PS5 Pro and wanted to jump start next gen a good 2 years ahead of the PS6

No way Bond would have said twice recently about their tech leap if it wasn’t coming for 4 or 5 more years, they are deep in this machine

My thought process is if they are going to leak it then they should be ready for 2025. I’m not saying I think it will or will not sell a lot of units. I just can’t see why they would signal this generation is dead for over 2 years before launching in 2026. The hit to market share would be nuts.

THE:MILKMAN

I want to believe and trust what you hear HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , but I can't get my head around the FTC slides showing timelines starting in late '22 but actually Xbox where already years into dev if you believe the ~6 year dev cycle *or* that Xbox have somehow going to mange truncating the dev cycle to <3 years?

Many things are out of their control i.e AMD/TSMC and not to mention that even rushed launch games take 3+ years to make and who's making them?

Don't get me wrong though.....I hope MS can pull this off as we need competition for Sony.

ETA: What specs are you referring to?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
If this is part of a strategy to try and destroy Sony, it isn’t going to work.

If Xbox are just chill and thinking yeah, let’s have more regular hardware refreshes just because - then cool, why not. To be honest in my view a console cycle should be 5 years but for that to happen Sony and Microsoft would need to pull their heads out of their arse holes and stop the 6 year dev cycles.

Microsoft are going to launch a new console generation with no exclusive games tied to the system. This will be incredibly Niche. No way Microsoft is leaving behind millions of Series X/S gamepass users, especially when all other publishers will be supporting the PS5/Switch2/Series consoles until 2030(at a minimum). They are no longer attempting to compete with Sony

Last edited:

rm082e

I just can't see how this could be true based on MS's own timeline slides from their FTC leak. That had the SOC design complete 4 years before console release which for a late '26 console would be late '22. Never mind all the other dozens of steps, milestones, and disclosures. Plus we surely would have had a lot of leaks by now if we're 2 years out just like we have with all previous consoles....

Unless they skip a tonne of steps in a rush (not realistically possible) or this HW is something very different than a traditional console like Series X, then I can't see this as a possible launch date. I mean the same FTC slides have them disclosing to 3rd parties 2 years before launch and you know our boy HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 would have these details....!

*IF* late '26 is the time then we *have* to get solid leaks from the big guns in the next 3 months IMO.

That's my impression. Tom over at Moore's Law is Dead mentioned a while back they only recently signed a deal with AMD, even though Sony signed their deal to work on the PS6 a while back:

My guess is if they are moving to more of a laptop hardware in a box for their next console, with plans to replace it more frequently, then they probably don't need 4 years of dev time to do that. If it's just laptop hardware running a customized version of Windows, all of this gets simplified.

Microsoft are going to launch a new console generation with no exclusive games tied to the system. This will be incredibly Niche. No way Microsoft is leaving behind millions of Series X/S gamepass users, especially when all other publishers will be supporting the PS5/Switch2/Series consoles until 2030(at a minimum). They are no longer attempting to compete with Sony
This entire post is just your opinion, no facts at all. Yet you write like you've seen the future 🤣

THE:MILKMAN

That's my impression. Tom over at Moore's Law is Dead mentioned a while back they only recently signed a deal with AMD, even though Sony signed their deal to work on the PS6 a while back:

My guess is if they are moving to more of a laptop hardware in a box for their next console, with plans to replace it more frequently, then they probably don't need 4 years of dev time to do that. If it's just laptop hardware running a customized version of Windows, all of this gets simplified.

Interesting but this aggression from MS makes me think they are going after Sony and if the next-gen Xbox is going to be lower power laptop HW then getting it out there so quickly wouldn't really be needed...?

And if it is true only very recently MS signed a deal again with AMD for the silicon design then that really does take ~3+ years from LOI to B0 tapeout alone per the FTC slides so again it doesn't seem to jive with a console launch in '25-'26. All very confusing!

DragonNCM

Of course, but next gen is likely 2028 or 2029
I think Xbox will try to escape confrontation with PS on next gen consoles & after. Clearly they try to make bigger gap be twin rival consoles & increase chances for better console sales.
3 years is a plenty of time to make stable advantage & console power. Sony will put PS5 PRO this year & I doubt they will go for next gen console anytime soon, more relevant time for Sony new console is 2028/2029.
Actually if MS pulls 2026 launch for a new console they can grab some console hi end enthusiasts who like to have best hardware they can atm.

jm89

Actually if MS pulls 2026 launch for a new console they can grab some console hi end enthusiasts who like to have best hardware they can atm.
And what do you think is gonna happen in 2027/2028 when sony launches with the more powerfull hardware?

Here is where it gets worse they will have a huge jump on MS as they will see what cards MS have played and have a year or two to counter.

Last edited:
This entire post is just your opinion, no facts at all. Yet you write like you've seen the future 🤣
It's basic economics. They are not going to release a game like Blade or ES6 to a console userbase of 5-10mil people in 2026-2027. Microsoft will be making cross-gen games until 2030, maybe even beyond. If they did, it would halt their multi-platform strategy as well

The marketing of the system will be "Best console for multi-platform games", at least until the PS6 comes out

Last edited:

Nydius

If true — which I’m taking this rumor with an entire shaker of salt — it would reek of the same desperation move as Sega when they tried to jump ahead of the PS2 with the Dreamcast.

Microsoft’s “next Gen” box would be competing with the PS5 Pro, and when the PS6 eventually did release, the Xbox would be left in the dust.

Mister Wolf

They definitely should go the route of PC/Console hybrid and release their games on everything but stagger the release of games on the Nintendo and Sony consoles at least a year.

Interesting but this aggression from MS makes me think they are going after Sony and if the next-gen Xbox is going to be lower power laptop HW then getting it out there so quickly wouldn't really be needed...?

And if it is true only very recently MS signed a deal again with AMD for the silicon design then that really does take ~3+ years from LOI to B0 tapeout alone per the FTC slides so again it doesn't seem to jive with a console launch in '25-'26. All very confusing!
"the biggest technical leap ever" for its next-gen system.

President Sarah Bond

It's basic economics. They are not going to release a game like Blade or ES6 to a console userbase of 5-10mil people in 2026-2027. Microsoft will be making cross-gen games until 2030, maybe even beyond. If they did, it would halt their multi-platform strategy as well

The marketing of the system will be "Best console for multi-platform games", at least until the PS6 comes out
Basic economics or a fortune cookie?

Nydius

Do you guys really wanna push the next-next year narrative? Really? Did Phil OK this?

It's the only thing they can do to remain sane. They wouldn't want to acknowledge that even if it launched beside GTA6, GTA6 would be running in a non-optimized, backwards compatibility mode that wouldn't be much better than performance on Series consoles because Rockstar wouldn't have time to properly port a "next gen xbox" version.

Oppoi

It's the only thing they can do to remain sane. They wouldn't want to acknowledge that even if it launched beside GTA6, GTA6 would be running in a non-optimized, backwards compatibility mode that wouldn't be much better than performance on Series consoles because Rockstar wouldn't have time to properly port a "next gen xbox" version.
Let's just wait and see, perhaps Hellblade 2 is the game of the generation.

Mister Wolf

I believe this was one of the routes they were looking into, a closed non upgradable Xbox PC that can run PC games but with the console experience but run things like Steam as well.

Makes the most sense. Make it more expense, so it fits somewhere between a high end gaming PC and a console. Make Nintendo and Playstation owners wait a year to get inferior version of the games. All the attention can be consolidated on the PC version of the game initially. Have a portable variant as well with a VRR screen.

StereoVsn

I believe this was one of the routes they were looking into, a closed non upgradable Xbox PC that can run PC games but with the console experience but run things like Steam as well.
That’s about the only thing here that would make sense. Release a new “Xbox PC” in late 2025/early 2026. It would be backward compatible and there probably won’t be any “next-gen” games other than some 1st party stuff. And even there it’s a PC, so…

That way they can switch to a quicker upgrade cadence and put something out there a year or so post PS6 release.

Rambone

I hope Microsoft does launch the next gen Xbox console well before Sony does, just so that I can see them stir the pot and see what Sony does to respond.

Unfortunately I'm starting to lose steam/interest with consoles these days as I am tired of compromises, 30fps and lack of exclusive games to play (that don't suck). I purchase consoles for exclusives and to escape the PC multiplayer scene as some games like GTA Online are just a cesspool of players using hacks/mods/etc that ruin any appetite I have to play them online. The walled Sony garden to keep this kinda shit to a minimum keeps me a customer.

Top Bottom