• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The plan to move Xbox games to other platforms is codenamed "Latitude" internally

Microsoft is being hamstrung by their IQ, not Xbox.
Just because they aren't dealing with Xbox physical hardware anymore doesn't mean their business decisions will suddenly get smarter.

They're still not gonna make a new Banjo like fans have begged for 25 years. They're still not gonna port rare replay. They're still gonna force 343 to make the next Halo.

Their terrible business decisions are literally being parodied in TV shows now and they STILL couldn't give a fuck.

They're incorrigible.

A new Banjo and rare replay might be great for fans of the series but will not move the needle one bit. The general public has different tastes than people on this forum. I still remember how very few people here expected Palworld or Helldivers 2 to blow up like they did. As much as I would like a Folklore remake, I am not gonna state that a Folklore remake would have helped Sony reach their ambitious 25M sales target. Most of the general gaming public do not give a shit about old games (not named Mario or Zelda), Jimbo was 100% right when he stated that nobody wants to play old games on new hardware.

Three

This codename likely refers to more than just PS too. I think they will shift games to mobile too, especially with their (likely Samsung partnered) MS store

Before the acquisition happened they were discussing cutting Operating expenses at xbox to start a mobile store:

Fzl5UWGWcAICOfE

That's now happening after bringing in Sarah bond (a former T-mobile exec) and acquiring 'ATVI'.

Killjoy-NL

I mean SOT was a top seller. It's doing very well on PSN. Doesn't matter who's talking about it. Hifi rush I don't think did well on PSN either though.
And like I said, they'll likely sell decently at launch and fall off quickly.

People stopped talking about God of War Ragnarok a couple of months after release too, I guess that means nobody wants that game either.
Couple of months, yes.

People barely spoke about HFR and SoT the moment they released.
There was only a lot of buzz leading up to launch, because of it actually happening.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And like I said, they'll likely sell decently at launch and fall off quickly.

Couple of months, yes.

People barely spoke about HFR and SoT the moment they released.
There was only a lot of buzz leading up to launch, because of it actually happening.
Leading up to launch? The game was a shadow drop you dunce there was nothing to get hyped about. They put it in a showcase, it gained tons of attention, high review scores and that was that.

Either way your point is stupid. Nobody is going to talk about a singular video game forever. Not even the GOATs escape the clutches of irrelevance, it's human nature to forget. Using that as a point against Hi-Fi is dumb

I never said the games wouldn't be profitable.

I'm saying the vast majority on PS doesn't care about those games.
Unless by "we" you mean Gaf. Because Gaf is a joke.
Gaf also claimed Xbox would be destroying PS5 this gen with 12Tflops, 2 SKUs and GamePass.

Edit:

In fact, people were cheering about SoT being a PS5 best-seller and how amazing Hifi Rush is, but since both got released, literally nobody talks about them. As if they never got released.
No, I mean “we” as in PlayStation folks. There is a large interest in both Halo and Gears for PlayStation folks. Everyone in my circle I game with has said they are all over both if they release on PlayStation. I obviously can’t speak for the rest of the gamers on PlayStation, but my regular people and I have had this discussion over the last couple of months, and all are onboard if they come to PS.

Skifi28

Gold Member
This codename likely refers to more than just PS too. I think they will shift games to mobile too, especially with their (likely Samsung partnered) MS store

Before the acquisition happened they were discussing cutting Operating expenses at xbox to start a mobile store:

Fzl5UWGWcAICOfE

That's now happening after bringing in Sarah bond (a former T-mobile exec) and acquiring 'ATVI'.
Why are their English worse than Chinese exchange students?

Killjoy-NL

Leading up to launch? The game was a shadow drop you dunce there was nothing to get hyped about. They put it in a showcase, it gained tons of attention, high review scores and that was that.

Either way your point is stupid. Nobody is going to talk about a singular video game forever. Not even the GOATs escape the clutches of irrelevance, it's human nature to forget. Using that as a point against Hi-Fi is dumb
Cut the crap.
Barely anyone gave a crap and it probably was the tipping point for MS to close the studio.

No, I mean “we” as in PlayStation folks. There is a large interest in both Halo and Gears for PlayStation folks. Everyone in my circle I game with has said they are all over both if they release on PlayStation. I obviously can’t speak for the rest of the gamers on PlayStation, but my regular people and I have had this discussion over the last couple of months, and all are onboard if they come to PS.
That's a cool anecdote, but it's a safe bet to say even the "big" titles from Xbox will sell decently at best.
Their games won't have the same pull on Playstation.

Like I said before, otherwise Xbox wouldn't be in this position. The vast majority of console-gamers is almost oblivious to all the news in gaming, so if interest was there already, Xbox wouldn't be dying.

It's a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Sony and Nintendo are also businesses, in the same market as xbox/microsoft gaming.
But they didnt make the same series of braindead "business" decisions that Microsoft has done for the last 10 years or so.
And they're both running circles around Microsoft in the videogame market.
Funny how you didnt mention any of that in your post.
Keep playing defense, you're doing great!

Damn, are you a general in the console warz or something? I can’t imagine why else you’d be so triggered by me making fun of a stupid point by Jez Corden. I hope you’re getting paid well, friend 🫡

What exactly am I defending by pointing out that businesses make moves because of money, anyway? How adorable.

RickMasters

It's actually over, jesus christ lol
Yup. They have thrown in the towel in every sense of the word.

I’m just gonna focus my future game purchases on steam. I’ll keep my series X as my gamepass box. I won’t be investing any more money into their console if they themselves wont be.

BlackTron

Remember all the "meltdowns" some were eagerly anticipating following the closure of the ABK deal? The only meltdown was the entire fucking Xbox division.

I really wish it hadn't happened. Sure I expected the studios to be in trouble, but not the entire damn Xbox brand as the cherry on top. "To compete"

If what S SneakersSO says is true. Phil was knee deep in this console war stuff. He's probably losing his mind right now trying to hold off as many games as possible.

I’m sure it must of been tough for him listening to people who tell him he can do no wrong.

We all know he’ll use his willing aid Ryan McCaffrey to conjure up more excuses and narratives with that interview on June 9.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I guess how smart going the mobile route is depends on their level of confidence in tech improving to the extent that in future a handheld piece of hardware is going to be capable of running anything.

I mean if you can get something that runs good on a phone, that can be boosted higher switch-style when more power and heat dissipation are available, building out from mobile as a base is both cost efficient and potentially super profitable...

RickMasters

Despite what I said above I don't really care where I play my games, I own multiple consoles. But it really does just feel like we are headed for some sort of crash though and not just Microsoft. My friend had been saying it for years but I always laugh it off, and now I finally feel like I see the potential for ruin with some of these decisions these companies are now making in gaming in general. Yuck.

I don’t know if it’s a crash it’s heading towards but I too have taken notice of all the mergers, closures,layoffs…. devs citing money issues. Devs saying AAA game dev cost is spiralling out of control. Then those same games needing to make an insane amount of money to be profitable for the dev and publisher. Just look at squareenix. Even Nintendo citing cost concerns for game development and they don’t push the tech envelope with their games. Something ain’t right with the way industry sustains itself, and it can’t all be just down to pure corporate greed. Games really do cost a lot to make these days and maybe that’s the real problem. Along with less risk being taken and people maybe just feeling fatigued with some of these franchises. I think only Mario and Zelda get away with it because Nintendo legit focuses on good old fashioned quality and fun. Sony aswell. Though you can see they are just a few steps behind Xbox with their own fuckery. I don’t think it’s gonna be all rosy for them especially given the fact they spend 100s of millions developingvjust one game and are saying it’s problematic…. Just how much is gonna change with them?

Aside from that. MS just seemed to keep making mistake after mistake. They are better off not being a console maker anymore. Just make an Xbox OS and let people like ASUS make steam/gamepass boxes. I could work with that.

Pop

Infinite would make the most sense to port first, though. They need the shot in the arm adding Infinite’s multiplayer to PlayStation would provide.

If I were in Xbox’s shoes, I’d port Infinite while simultaneously announcing a MCC port is being developed.
Ya but I want the better game

DJ12

Forza on Playstation
Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Do you think Sony would want it on their system because it really could affect GT sales
Only people buying forza motorsport on playstation isn't of gt7 are former xbox owners who have convinced themselves for years that Gran turismo is trash and have never played it.

Forza Horizon will do well, as it's will be fairly unique (although I think I prefer crew motorfest)

But I've played 3, 4 and 5 and aside from the graphics getting better between 3 and 4 there's barely any difference and could've be released as a dlc map pack.

RickMasters

Only thing left is confirmation of 3rd party xboxes and this brand is done.

I think that’s for the best. Just make Xbox an OS for gamepass. Steam on the same box. Smooth exit out of the console market that doesn’t leave the people who did invest in game libraries on Xbox without a way to preserve their backlog.

I could really see myself owning a cool ASUS designed Xbox- steam box. I’m a big fan of ASUS design language. Very futuristic and sleek looking. With dual boot Xbox OS and steam OS. All my Xbox and steam purchases, playable on one box. That would be a bit of a golden parachute for long time Xbox owners. Steam would be the main market place. Gamepass for all the ‘Xbox’ stuff. That would be neat.

Just give us a PC in a console formfactor with none of the walled garden. And none of the windows bullshit.

ElRenoRaven

You know I'm happy this moment is here. I say bring all the Halo games, Gears games and I'll be happier than a pig in shit. I'll gladly rebuy each of these games a 4th time. lol

RickMasters

You know I'm happy this moment is here. I say bring all the Halo games, Gears games and I'll be happier than a pig in shit. I'll gladly rebuy each of these games a 4th time. lol

Halo….. the forever king of FPS. I play MCC and infinite In MP all the time. Core halo gameplay is still Competitive perfection.modern FPS games have only made me appreciate halos MP even more.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I’m sure it must of been tough for him listening to people who tell him he can do no wrong.

We all know he’ll use his willing aid Ryan McCaffrey to conjure up more excuses and narratives with that interview on June 9.
I expect some "this was always the plan.. when everybody plays we all win" bullshit .. and the usual "wait for next year.."

I'd wager that the MCC and a Gears Trilogy (1-3) would each move 10M+ on PS4/PS5. You actually might get closer to 20M with the MCC if the online actually works at launch (minimal bugs, glitches, server issues). A Fable Trilogy(1-3) could probably do 7-8M if it's a really polished release. They could remaster the entire PGR series (1-4) and release as a collection for another 5-10M sales. Maybe smaller one-off remasters of Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark 1-2, Kameo, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, etc..

This is all basically free money for MS if they want it. Literally free. Just rerelease the games at 4k60 and setup the servers and you're good to go!

Sethbacca

I mean, I'd actually repurchase Killer Instinct just to have it on my PS5 where I do most of my gaming.....

Last edited:

gokurho

The plan to move Xbox games to other platforms is codenamed "Latitude" internally, and I know there's debate and unease at Microsoft about whether or not this is a good idea. More upcoming Microsoft-owned games slated for PlayStation are already being developed. While it's true Microsoft is a prolific publisher on PlayStation already, it has typically revolved around specific franchises like Minecraft. From what I've heard, Microsoft is pushing for no "red line" for what games could come to PlayStation, and it all revolves around Satya Nadella and CFO Amy Hood's plans to increase every department's margins.

Almost ten years later, that vision seems to have collapsed ? Satya Nadella's Microsoft is burning long-term goals for short-term gains, moving from tech fad to tech fad-like locusts, often showing up to the party too late and burning mountains of cash. Microsoft had a real opportunity to become a different megacorp that invested in social responsibilities, employees, and customer satisfaction first. It could lead by example and show you can be nice and profitable. Perhaps it could even be profitable to be good. When I first started blogging almost ten years ago, in my , I believed that Microsoft would.
Fountain Of Youth GIF

Ev1L AuRoN

I would buy at full price a new Forza Horizon game, a new Gears and I can see a lot of Microsoft games I don't mind buying on deals for 30~40 dollars, the sad part is that most of the Xbox users don't do the same, and it's all Microsoft's fault, devaluing their games, making their users think that games are cheap, now this is what they get. I think Microsoft will make money like they never did while being a platform holder.

All that being said. This will be one of the darkest days in the industry, Sony will have pretty much a monopoly of the higher end consoles, we will lose a company that did so much for the industry, the Xbox Live, Xbox Live Arcade, achievements, hard drives on consoles, a kick-ass controller etc etc...

I don't think they are quite done yet, but right now, I don't believe in a recovery anymore. God bless Nintendo, and hope they always have a console.

Top Bottom