• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you buy an Xbox game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you buy an Xbox game under to your Xbox account on a PC or Xbox , you get a digital license to play that game on PC, Xbox, handheld, in some cases (and soon virtually all cases) even on a phone, tablet, browser, Samsung TV. One purchase and you don't have to rebuy the game on multiple platforms.

You also get cross progression and cloud saves and soon you will also get the ability to stream that game on Xcloud.

They also clearly tell you upfront if you need an Xbox account to play one of their games that you bought on Steam.

We have been letting Sony get a free pass on making us buy a game on PlayStation just to have to go buy it again on PC with no cross progression and no cloud saves.

Helldivers 2 is a shining example of Sony's anti-consumer practices and I hope they learn the lesson like Xbox learned after that BS Xbox one reveal. I don't even own a console, but clearly Xbox is much much better to me as a PC gamer than Sony is. If I'm ever going to buy a console for my living room it's going to be an Xbox bc I won't have to go and rebuy my entire Xbox library like I would if I bought a PS where I would be required to go pay again for Helldivers, God of War, etc all over again and I would have to start most of those games all over again because of the lack of cross progression and no free cloud saves smh...

I'm roasting marshmallows over this Sony dumpster fire and I welcome all of you to join me.

They will bend to our will and we will dive into hell together once again! 🗑️🔥

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

GHG

First line in the OP:

No one is talking about Steam.

Well he has to be because he goes on to say the following:

Helldivers 2 is a shining example of Sony's anti-consumer practices and I hope they learn the lesson like Xbox learned after that BS Xbox one reveal. I don't even own a console, but clearly Xbox is much much better to me as a PC gamer than Sony is. If I'm ever going to buy a console for my living room it's going to be an Xbox bc I won't have to go and rebuy my entire Xbox library like I would if I bought a PS where I would be required to go pay again for Helldivers, God of War, etc all over again and I would have to start most of those games all over again because of the lack of cross progression and no free cloud saves smh...

Other than Steam, where else can you purchase Helldivers 2?

For the other games, the vast majority of people who are purchasing Sony games on PC are doing so via Steam.

So if you want apples to apples, the people who are actually buying these games on PC don't give a shit about any of this.

Last edited:
Well he has to be because he goes on to say the following:

Other than Steam, where else can you purchase Helldivers 2?

For the other games, the vast majority of people who are purchasing Sony games on PC are doing so via Steam.

So if you want apples to apples, the people who are actually buying these games on PC don't give a shit about any of this.
You can purchase Helldivers 2 on a PlayStation

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
By "Xbox game" I am talking about first party. Sorry for confusion. Or are you saying not all first party games have cross buy? Maybe I am wrong about that! Thank you for any clarification/education you can provide.

No, first party games definitely are between Win Store (PC) and Console. I thought your post was a generalization on Xbox games (as in, all)

GHG

You can purchase Helldivers 2 on a PlayStation

What's your point?

Do you want playstation to have their own launcher/store on PC and then force all of their games to be exclusive to it in order for you to have this "perk"? Because that's essentially what you're asking for and I can give you hundreds of reasons why that's a very bad idea.

bender

What time is it?
What's your point?

Do you want playstation to have their own launcher/store on PC and then force all of their games to be exclusive to it in order for you to have this "perk"? Because that's essentially what you're asking for and I can give you hundreds of reasons why that's a very bad idea.

Very bad idea or...

jesse-lee-peterson-amazin.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
No one is talking about Steam.
They also clearly tell you upfront if you need an Xbox account to play one of their games that you bought on Steam.
We have been letting Sony get a free pass on making us buy a game on PlayStation just to have to go buy it again on PC with no cross progression and no cloud saves.
Unless HD2 suddenly got released on XBox store without anyone knowing - Steam is all that OP is talking about in second half of the post.

When you buy an Xbox game under to your Xbox account on a PC or Xbox , you get a digital license to play that game on PC, Xbox, handheld, in some cases (and soon virtually all cases) even on a phone, tablet, browser, Samsung TV.
Sorry but I gotta ask - what?
I know there's a plan to get XCloud for purchased games - but calling that 'license to play on other devices' is more than a little disingenuous - and more importantly, it's not available today. And if by Handheld you mean 'Windows PC', then obviously Tablets, Laptops, TV Sticks, Rasperry PI and basically anything running Windows can be listed as 'devices you got a license for' too - why stop at handhelds?
But that same list applies to Sony games you buy on Steam too...

Last edited:
I guess the solution to the Sony issues is to simply buy your PC games on Steam instead of the Sony machine.
I'm starting to think this is the best solution for gaming going forward.
I've already sold both the Series X and the PS5. I'm PC only now.
Console drama and the locked down nature of the concept is souring on me.
I have the money for a PC. Consoles can take their lemons and suck on them.

Not via Steam it's not.

And nobody in their right mind is purchasing PC games via the windows store.

But I appreciate the not so subtle shill attempt from the OP, even if it's rife with false information.
I said if you buy them on an Xbox or PC under your Xbox account. I'm aware it doesn't count for steam and was not trying to imply otherwise. Also as a gamepass subscriber I always use the Xbox app. It's not 2019 anymore. The Xbox store on PC actually works now and doesn't randomly refuse to download things for me and my gaming friends anyway.

Also....how dare you. This is nothing subtle about my creepy obsession with Daddy Phil.

Quasicat

I bought a Steam Deck last year and thought I was going to put a dent into my Steam library. Instead, I bought a bunch of Sony games and play the rest of the Xbox stuff on the cloud. When we get to July and I can play the stuff I’ve bought on my account, I imagine my Switch is going to start collecting dust.
I love how I can play on my Series X and when I don’t have access to the TV, I can play the cloud in the bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom