• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy an Xbox handheld that included Steam and Epic instead of, or in addition to a Switch 2

Would purchase Xbox handheld including other store fronts, and/or Switch 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
No.

PS: Steam and Epic Store on a Xbox would mean Valve and Epic would be selling Xbox games. So far Steam and Epic Store only sells PC games.

Xellos

Steam Deck has good enough compatibility that I will just wait for Steam Deck 2. I don't see a reason to own multiple handheld PC gaming devices. A MS/Xbox handheld would need to have dramatically better hardware, like 1.5-2x performance or battery at similar cost, for me to change my mind.

Switch 2 is it's own thing and will have most likely have unique hardware features in addition to exclusive games.

I gave up on Xbox this year after owning every console since the launch OG. Not at all interested in their current offerings in portable mode.

Switch 2 is going to be a juggernaut, especially if the PS4/Pro level rumors are true. Mario Kart/Smash/Zelda at next-gen fidelity will be unbeatable.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm not very happy with my Switch and never cared about getting an Xbox since all their games come to PC.

So nah, I'll stick to my Deck/Vita/new2DS combo.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I am down for any good handheld. Switch 2 is day 1 regardless but I have been thinking about a Windows based handheld. If MS comes along with an aggressively priced handheld with good specs that isnt nerfed with a walled garden I would definitely consider it.

if the Xbox handheld functions like the Switch does as being dockable and can support the bulk of the Xbox library dating back to OG Xbox I will get it day 1. The only thing that would detract me from it is if the specs are underwhelming for the device

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You lost me at Microsoft. Will trade my Switch OLED for the Switch 2 on day one.

Already sold mine for top dollar in anticipation. So most of my switch 2 is already paid for. Day 1 no matter what for Nintendo exclusives.

An Xbox handheld would be great for me, I have tons of games purchased in thier ecosystem so if it plays xbox 360 and xbox one put of the box I'm already happy.
I assume it would likely have more power than the switch 2 since Nintendo is notoriously cheap on hardware, even with a newer nvidia chipset, so newer games will likely run better on it. Also it will more likely have proper controllers vs switch nubs. Plus another device that does local xbox streaming and cloud (occasional use) isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ok, how do you know this?

They're moving focus away from dedicated hardware. They can't even sell consoles, they're not going to sell closed ecosystem handhelds.

Microsoft might sell a portable PC with a screen, but you can already buy those, no need to buy theirs if there's better alternatives on the market. They've already done a fluff piece on how good the ROG Ally is for Game Pass.

On contrary, I think Xbox handheld will be a new series S

As above, they're not selling consoles, let alone investing all those resources into a portable. It's pointless.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
They're moving focus away from dedicated hardware. They can't even sell consoles, they're not going to sell closed ecosystem handhelds.

Microsoft might sell a portable PC with a screen, but you can already buy those, no need to buy theirs if there's better alternatives on the market. They've already done a fluff piece on how good the ROG Ally is for Game Pass.

As above, they're not selling consoles, let alone investing all those resources into a portable. It's pointless.
Ok I thought maybe you had proof.

You obviously do not.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ok I thought maybe you had proof.

You obviously do not.

I don't need proof when I have functioning ears and eyes. Why would anyone buy a portable PC that only plays select games when they can buy something like a ROG Ally which is literally a portable PC that runs Game Pass, Steam, Epic Store etc?

BlackTron

I find the idea of a handheld that plays Steam, Xbox or even PS games extremely tantalizing. But I pretty much automatically have to get the Nintendo version for exclusive games, and once I have that, my handheld gaming needs are fulfilled and I really don't need anything else.

CLW

Gold Member
Again WHY buy ANYTHING Xbox? The brand is devalued itself to NOTHING it provides zero benefit to any competition no exclusives weaker hardware etc

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't need proof when I have functioning ears and eyes. Why would anyone buy a portable PC that only plays select games when they can buy something like a ROG Ally which is literally a portable PC that runs Game Pass, Steam, Epic Store etc?
Cloud capability is likely given Xbox track record. To my knowledge that's not something that is not offered by any other handheld.

However, I was not aware that Rog Ally can run all those things. Is Rog Ally able to only play select games as well?

MS is shutting down studios left and right. xbox is struggling financially.

and you think they are going to make a handheld, which wouldn't be ready for market for at least 1 to 2 years because R&D costs time and money....

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH

S0ULZB0URNE

Not buying no more Xbox hardware, I don't do handhelds but think this would be a great thing for Xbox and think this better suits them.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

and you think they are going to make a handheld, which wouldn't be ready for market for at least 1 to 2 years because R&D costs time and money....

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH
I said there are rumors that it would. Xbox has even sent out surveys asking the market about the potential of a handheld. It's not something out of left field.

If Xbox is going to do a console at all, a handheld is probably the smartest way to go right now.

But sure, keep bein a clown.

Last edited:

AV

Cloud capability is likely given Xbox track record. To my knowledge that's not something that is not offered by any other handheld.

However, I was not aware that Rog Ally can run all those things. Is Rog Ally able to only play select games as well?

It runs everything, including Xbox Cloud Gaming. It's literally just a portable PC running Windows 11 with a screen and buttons.

However, that doesn't mean I'm recommending it, I've never tried it - just saying that a dedicated Xbox handheld won't happen. Would be shooting themselves in the foot. Personally I have the launch Steam Deck and love it, but there's certain stuff it doesn't do. Will also be picking up a Switch 2 at launch along with the rest of the world.

ZehDon

If Microsoft delivered an Xbox handheld where I could boot into "Game Mode" and get the overheard back from Windows for better performance, while still having access to Game Pass, Steam, and Epic, and it could dock with my TV? Day one, without question.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Lol, Xbox is the single biggest developer in the world, they shut down a couple of studios and now it's "left and right". Xbox is struggling financially? Not like you are saying, as a devision they might be losing a bit but it's not anything the larger Corp is panicked about. (As evidenced by thier 70 billion dollar purchase of activision)

Of course they have a handheld in development , and have for quite a while. The only question is will they release it. Which is actually quite likely, since they want to offer something they don't right now.

• LOL
Reactions: AV

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If Microsoft delivered an Xbox handheld where I could boot into "Game Mode" and get the overheard back from Windows for better performance, while still having access to Game Pass, Steam, and Epic, and it could dock with my TV? Day one, without question.
Game Mode is on current PCs...not sure why they wouldn't have that. But I wouldn't expect an Xbox handheld to be a PC first, handheld second. I would think it would be more of the reverse. Like it's main function is gaming, but then may be able to run apps like Netflix if the user chooses to use it for that.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Steam Deck has good enough compatibility that I will just wait for Steam Deck 2. I don't see a reason to own multiple handheld PC gaming devices. A MS/Xbox handheld would need to have dramatically better hardware, like 1.5-2x performance or battery at similar cost, for me to change my mind.

Switch 2 is it's own thing and will have most likely have unique hardware features in addition to exclusive games.
Yea I think no matter what...the Switch 2 is somewhere in the running. I don't think I could just ignore that even with a feature-full Xbox handheld.

ZehDon

Game Mode is on current PCs...not sure why they wouldn't have that. But I wouldn't expect an Xbox handheld to be a PC first, handheld second. I would think it would be more of the reverse. Like it's main function is gaming, but then may be able to run apps like Netflix if the user chooses to use it for that.
Windows' "Game Mode" is just suspending a few services. I mean a legit reboot of the OS into a stripped down kernal that doesn't a host of usual OS things, very similar to the Xbox consoles' stripped down OS. And there's a few reasons I suspect Microsoft's handheld would have a full windows suite. Firstly, their chief competitor isn't the low spec Switch, it's the high spec Steam Deck. Secondly, they'll struggle to produce a machine much cheaper than the Steam Deck because they're talking about allowing third party stores - so they can't price the hardware at a loss. So, if Microsoft launched an Xbox handheld that was the same cost or more as the Steam Deck, but one that had less features and/or worse performance, it would be DOA. So, I think they'll be forced to match price, which means matching performance, which means matching features.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Windows' "Game Mode" is just suspending a few services. I mean a legit reboot of the OS into a stripped down kernal that doesn't a host of usual OS things, very similar to the Xbox consoles' stripped down OS. And there's a few reasons I suspect Microsoft's handheld would have a full windows suite. Firstly, their chief competitor isn't the low spec Switch, it's the high spec Steam Deck. Secondly, they'll struggle to produce a machine much cheaper than the Steam Deck because they're talking about allowing third party stores - so they can't price the hardware at a loss. So, if Microsoft launched an Xbox handheld that was the same cost or more as the Steam Deck, but one that had less features and/or worse performance, it would be DOA. So, I think they'll be forced to match price, which means matching performance, which means matching features.
I'm not completely familiar with the Steam Deck's features, but it's already been discussed in this thread that the ROG Ally seems to have more features and is more powerful, albeit at a higher cost. What features would Xbox have to match? Also, wouldn't Cloud capability already be a feature that Steam Deck currently doesn't have?

I said there are rumors that it would. Xbox has even sent out surveys asking the market about the potential of a handheld. It's not something out of left field.

If Xbox is going to do a console at all, a handheld is probably the smartest way to go right now.

But sure, keep bein a clown.
the one being a clown is you for failing to see the reality of the handheld market, which is rather crowded. Not counting steamdeck and switch, there are handhelds from asus, msi, and lenovo. For argument's sake, even if xbox were to make handheld, it would not have access to steam or epic store because it is in xbox's best interest to keep their customers in their own eco system. Just making another steam handheld offers no advantage over the competition.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
the one being a clown is you for failing to see the reality of the handheld market, which is rather crowded. Not counting steamdeck and switch, there are handhelds from asus, msi, and lenovo. For argument's sake, even if xbox were to make handheld, it would not have access to steam or epic store because it is in xbox's best interest to keep their customers in their own eco system. Just making another steam handheld offers no advantage over the competition.
Ok, I'm not the one speaking in absolutes. That's you. That's what makes you a clown. I never said Xbox will definitely have a handheld, as you stated. In the OP I specifically said there are RUMORS about an Xbox handheld. Again, that's what makes you a clown. Anything else you say is irrelevant to this conversation.

Take your fanboyism elsewhere...it's not welcome here.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Yeah mines in the bedroom, i only use it from time to time to be disappointed in the lastest forza patch.

No point selling it for peanuts when i can watch 4k Dune on it and fall asleep.

Edit: Just read that back, depressing state of affairs. Used to love the OG and 360 back in the day. Shame.

Yes, the original Xbox was so damn good. So many good games.(I played so many hours of Sid M. Pirates, lol). First half of 360 gen was fantastic as well.

They were building such a strong foundation with the brand and today may have looked far different had they not lit themselves on fire a decade or so ago.

ZehDon

I'm not completely familiar with the Steam Deck's features, but it's already been discussed in this thread that the ROG Ally seems to have more features and is more powerful, albeit at a higher cost. What features would Xbox have to match? Also, wouldn't Cloud capability already be a feature that Steam Deck currently doesn't have?
The Steam Deck is an open Linux platform running SteamOS. That means it has all the features of a Linux Desktop PC. Think of a feature, and it has it, or, can be altered to have it. For example, because it's a Linux Desktop, I can run any Desktop application including Winux. So, it can be my emulation machine - including running Switch games, but it can also be a Plex server, a NAS, run Steam games, run games from Epic, or GOG, or EA Play: anything. Cloud gaming, for example, is easily possible - presuming xCloud is accessible via a web browser. ROG Ally is a Windows Desktop in your hands, which is why it needs beefier specs, which is why it costs more. Steam Deck is relatively cheap for everything its putting in your hands - and it isn't locked down.

So, if Microsoft didn't follow suite, they would be entering that space with a locked down USD$1000 handheld gaming console. That's a death sentence. If Microsoft delivered Xbox Series X performance and visuals for USD$500.00 in the palm of your hand, that would be a different story - but no one can deliver that. So, something's gotta give. If Microsoft want it locked down, it needs to be cheap, which means performance suffers and folks would just buy a Switch 2. If they want better performance, they gotta up the cost, which means they'd compete with all the other open platform handhelds, like Steam Deck or the ROG Ally. At least, that's how I see it.

Nope. The thing I've realized with portable systems is I just don't have the time. During my lunch break at work I hit the gym. When I leave my house it's cause I have things to do. At home I can just play on my console. The only time I could really use one is when I go on vacation and that's once a year and I'd only use it while traveling. It's just not worth it. I ended up selling my switch and steam deck.

xrnzaaas

Nope. The thing I've realized with portable systems is I just don't have the time. During my lunch break at work I hit the gym. When I leave my house it's cause I have things to do. At home I can just play on my console. The only time I could really use one is when I go on vacation and that's once a year and I'd only use it while traveling. It's just not worth it. I ended up selling my switch and steam deck.
There's also playing on the crapper, but a phone or a cheap portable emulator like Anbernic can cover that. ;)

ReBurn

Gold Member
Whatever the next Nintendo box is I'm going to get it as it's the only way I'll be able to play Nintendo games.

I would consider an Xbox handheld if it played my Xbox library and my Steam library. But I can also remote play my Xbox on my Steam Deck and that works well enough for now.

Bridges

Switch 2 is a definitely

Portable Xbox is a probably

I never take my switch out of docked mode, but I have a much bigger library on Xbox and have been traveling more which may change my habits. Really just depends if the price is right

DaGwaphics

An Xbox handheld with both Epic and Steam support would be a very versatile device, I would definitely consider it if I was in the market for a handheld.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I wouldn't buy another piece of hardware from a company that seems so completely disinterested in selling hardware. You're only going to find yourself with something that's a waste of money, if they have that attitude. Why would anyone choose a MS handheld over other manufacturers?

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I dropped Xbox hardware when I moved to PC (and Deck)/PS4(5)/Switch. Got absolutely no interest in any more MS based hardware if the software I enjoy is available on the platforms I'm already on.

Next gen I'll probably drop the PS and switch side too. I'll buy Nintendo stuff if it interests me and I can emulate it. If not, I'll miss out on that.

Will grab the Deck 2 too as my Deck is a godsend for smaller titles. Never thought I'd bother with it, but it gets loads of use. Delve a little below the surface and it can do loads more too. Emulation, PS5 streaming etc

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft Handheld HQ:

Happy Fun GIF by Cirque du Soleil

baphomet

Considering how shit their output has been this entire gen, why would anyone want it?

Unless it's the most powerful Windows based handheld on the market, then I don't see anyone caring much.

Top Bottom