• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox controller issues on Windows 11?

So I bought 2 dongles for my Windows PC. One is even the official Xbox dongle. But I've had both of them drop my wireless connection multiple times. I've tried to connect the controller to Bluetooth directly to PC, but it always says Try connecting your device again. At this point I just bought a really long USB c for my living room, but I'd prefer wireless. Any tips from people with this issue?

Note, this has happened with 2 controllers. One elite and the other regular

I've been using the Xbox dongle 1 for as long as it has been around. Never had any issues.
Also bought the newer smaller dongle when it came out. Again never had any issues.
I've been hearing about these mystery xbox wireless disconnects from day 1. years and years.
Whatever is causing these drops Is a complete and total mystery. It's never been solved as to what the issues might be.

I do have my own thoughts however and its related to the battery compartment and how the battery terminals connect.
The battery compartment has an unfortunate roundness and is sized much bigger than the batteries.
If your using rechargeable batteries including the official Lithium Ion from Microsoft, the rounded battery compartment can make the battery go askew.
Even just sitting untouched the battery can move because of that damn rounded enclosure.
I've used Duracell Alkaline batteries and have needed to insert a piece of folded paper or cardboard in the compartment so that the connectors connect.
My theory is it's not bluetooth or Wifi or anything radio. It's the damn batteries disconnecting for a split second and the controller just not reconnecting in time for people to die onscreen.

Explains why the DualShock controllers never have this issue, they have hardwired rechargeable batteries.

Mexen

I have an 8bitDo and it’s a pain to connect.

Still haven’t figured it out.

I update my adapter. Connected my controller to it. Then added my controller to my BT device list.
Sometimes it breaks the connection and I have to do some gymnastics to get it to work.

I also have a really long USB-C cable and a long HDMI. I got the dongle for wireless couch gaming but there you go, it hasn’t been a straight forward experience.

I've been using the Xbox dongle 1 for as long as it has been around. Never had any issues.
Also bought the newer smaller dongle when it came out. Again never had any issues.
I've been hearing about these mystery xbox wireless disconnects from day 1. years and years.
Whatever is causing these drops Is a complete and total mystery. It's never been solved as to what the issues might be.

I do have my own thoughts however and its related to the battery compartment and how the battery terminals connect.
The battery compartment has an unfortunate roundness and is sized much bigger than the batteries.
If your using rechargeable batteries including the official Lithium Ion from Microsoft, the rounded battery compartment can make the battery go askew.
Explains why the DualShock controllers never have this issue, they have hardwired rechargeable batteries.
Very interesting theory. Makes sense considering I did see adding regular AA batteries helped a person I saw in a forum. However, it's still puzzingling in my case bc my elite controller with the internal battery has the same issue. Sadly, I may just have to concede and get used to using the long USB C

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Never had a problem with mine over Bluetooth. The Dualsense though has had nothing but normal untroubled usage too. #SonyToo

Last edited:

Three

The xbox dongle is a bit shit with dropping connection in general but I suspect you have an issue with signal strength and interference seeing as you have a problem with bluetooth failing to establish a connection too. How far are you from the dongle and are there things in the way? If you have one of those long USB extenders plug it into that and see if it improves.

rofif

Banned
I have Series controller with official dongle and never had any issues. anniversary green transparent controller

reektann

Only thing I do is make sure the Microsoft dongle is plugged into the front of the pc. In the rear I’ve had one or two intermittent drops.

rofif

Banned
Only thing I do is make sure the Microsoft dongle is plugged into the front of the pc. In the rear I’ve had one or two intermittent drops.
I have mine at the back but my pc is on the desk. Although tv block the entry to back of pc and even mouse dongle had problems with drop outs.
So that's probably a good advice.... in fact, why the hell don't pc cases have more ports in front

reektann

If your monitor has usb ports, that’s a good way of doing it too - I have my mouse and keyboard dongles into my monitor, so the devices are right next to them!

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I've never had an issue connecting the Xbox pads via BT at all. I did have an issue once when using the Xbox adapter (it was causing a conflict on the USB host and resetting), but once that was fixed it just works.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I used a BT4.0 adapter for years with a DS4 and at some point it just stopped working. I couldn't get Windows to acknowledge it, or better yet truly forget it. I was in the registry and everything. I spent hours and hours over the course of several months. The BT adapter and controller both work with other devices, so neither are faulty.

Eventually the fix was to buy a new BT adapter.

The reason I say all this is that I suspect Windows to be at fault at some level that I was unable to fix without a reinstall of the entire OS. Perhaps your issue is Windows' fault, and the simple solution would be a new adapter. I didn't even buy a different brand, I just upgraded from the TP-Link 4.0 to the 5.0.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I recently switched to this:

OIP.ZZXLS--Zcr4wpvHNm5tybgHaHa

Superior to the Xbox controller in every single way.

My Xbox controller was dropping the connection too with the dongle midgame on PC, which is why I made the switch. The bonus is I can use this also with my Switch and hopefully Switch 2, as my Switch Pro controller's analogs starting drifting. It replaced two inferior controllers.

Last edited:

Just bought one and I'm gonna try it

Idk this issue seems so random. You can see it based on the responses here. My dongle is at the back of the PC so maybe I should try in front. But even then, it seems weird the regular BT won't accept my controller.

I begin to wonder if the dongle drivers are overriding the Bluetooth. I reformatted my PC just to see, but I still had the Try Again error. Anyone know how to delete the dongle drivers?

Never had a problem. I use the Microsoft wireless dongle and Xbox one controllers. Even two at a time using headphone output has been flawless for years.

You sure you have a legit dongle?

All the people suggesting to update Bluetooth etc don't seem to know how this works. Using the dongle is not Bluetooth.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Idk this issue seems so random. You can see it based on the responses here. My dongle is at the back of the PC so maybe I should try in front. But even then, it seems weird the regular BT won't accept my controller.

I begin to wonder if the dongle drivers are overriding the Bluetooth. I reformatted my PC just to see, but I still had the Try Again error. Anyone know how to delete the dongle drivers?

If you plan to use it with a Nintendo Switch too, remember you have to shake the controller to wake the Switch up from sleep mode. I use the dongle on PC and Bluetooth mode for the Switch. There is a toggle for the modes on the back of the controller.

If you plan to use it with a Nintendo Switch too, remember you have to shake the controller to wake the Switch up from sleep mode. I use the dongle on PC and Bluetooth mode for the Switch. There is a toggle for the modes on the back of the controller.
I'm taking a leap on your word since I love the Xbox controller but hate holding the switch lol. Don't have a switch but I'll give this a shot

LordBritish

download xbox accessories app in windows 11 store app .... update the controllers... you can even change the logo color on the elite in that app

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I started using Bluetooth after my official dongle broke, and it's great. The key to a great Bluetooth experience is your wireless reciever. In my opinion you have to use a modern motherboard with built in Wi-Fi/Bluetooth (usually comes with an antenna). If not, an external PCI wifi/Bluetooth card is the way to go.

Even just sitting untouched the battery can move because of that damn rounded enclosure.
I've used Duracell Alkaline batteries and have needed to insert a piece of folded paper or cardboard in the compartment so that the connectors connect.
My theory is it's not bluetooth or Wifi or anything radio. It's the damn batteries disconnecting for a split second and the controller just not reconnecting in time for people to die onscreen.

I had an aftermarket controller with a similar problem back in the Xbox 360 days. I just folded up some paper and put it in the battery compartment to keep them from jiggling.

I started using Bluetooth after my official dongle broke, and it's great. The key to a great Bluetooth experience is your wireless reciever. In my opinion you have to use a modern motherboard with built in Wi-Fi/Bluetooth (usually comes with an antenna). If not, an external PCI wifi/Bluetooth card is the way to go.
I do. The computer is weeks old. I just don't get why it won't connect to bluetooth

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Had some issues with my xbox one when connecting via wi-fi. Updating the gamepad's drivers through the ms app seemed to fix it.

Last edited:
Wrap PC in a towel.

You got to coddle this shit like a baby. Or else it will give you problems.

Eventually you'll pc will melt and things will just work.

Worked on 360.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
update your bluetooth

Yea. Like a villain I didn't read the rest of the thread, but when devices just straight up stop working in Windows 11 it's usually because you're cruising along on default settings and the devices needs a driver and/or firmware update.

Possibly a dumb question: but for when you were trying to connect directly to the PC, are there antennas for your mobo that you have not connected? I built a new PC last year that had built in Bluetooth built in for the first time and I didn't connect the antennas because i thought they were just for the built in wifi that I had no intention on using. Little did I know they were also for the Bluetooth and I obviously had some major connectivity issues...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Fully recommend the 8bitdo and even made a thread shilling it

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Not only a Windows 11 issue. Have the same thing on windows 10 across multiple PC's (and the Steam Deck) and I ultimately decided to use one of my dualsense controllers instead which works seamlessly thanks to steam's controller api.

So yeh, use something else, anything of your choosing will do since it's PC so the world's your oyster.

Last edited:

Fully recommend the 8bitdo and even made a thread shilling it
I'm liking the reviews I'm seeing. I play a lot of souls likes and shooters so hopefully it carries over well. I just wish I could return my $140 Xbox elite troller since I can't get any use out of it without a freaking cord

My Xbox controller was dropping the connection too with the dongle midgame on PC, which is why I made the switch. The bonus is I can use this also with my Switch and hopefully Switch 2, as my Switch Pro controller's analogs starting drifting. It replaced two inferior controllers.
So I've been playing Elden ring for about 2 hours. It's not perfect, but I like it a lot. So far it is rock solid with no drops. It reminds me of a mix between a series controller and a dual sense 5. I'm gonna keep it and I gave it a 8.5/10. Fucking love the Dpad too

Top Bottom