• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce - It's going to get worse

CLW

Gold Member
captain obvious hotels.com GIF

BUT she has BIG boobs so she will be lauded as some sort of savant/genius

tommib

Shaun's absolutely right.

And completely out of date.

Because the games companies don't want us to own our games any more. They want us to buy into subscription services and digital online marketplaces, so they can keep selling shit at us. Buying a physical single player game isn't profitable enough for these cancerous ghouls anymore. Games must be never-ending, constant cash cows - and fuck anything else. Baldur's Gate 3 only made $90 million! Fuck that! Baldur's Gate 4 should be a multiplayer online experience with a battlepass so we can make $200 million!

This overwhelming greed is going to kill AAA game making. And frankly, at this point, better it dies and takes some of those cunts with it.
We'll always have Nintendo.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Seriously though this falls on deaf ears when Nintendo is scoring such profits and many single player games make so much more than the vast majority of live service. Keep budgets under control. Quit wasting time and money and mental energy on DEI culture war nonsense. You will save money, make better games, and get them out faster.

Generic

Seriously though this falls on deaf ears when Nintendo is scoring such profits and many single player games make so much more than the vast majority of live service. Keep budgets under control. Quit wasting time and money and mental energy on DEI culture war nonsense. You will save money, make better games, and get them out faster.
Nintendo charges $60 for 7 years old games.

Fabieter

Some people complained but Rise of the Ronin apparently is doing just fine and better than Nioh

Word of mouth did alot for it but initially it didn't look to bright.

Gamers ask for ever rising graphical bar.

Imo as long as it doesn't look the same I don't give a fuck. I think more games should just do some radical art style changes like wind waker did.

I also like shinny things with a new console or a new gpu to try new and older stuff and see how it looks now but this is what kills the industry.

FeralEcho

I was wondering why she has a mushroom on her tits but then i actually took my eyes off of them and realised it's AI generated when I started to pay attention to her long ass thumb on the barframe or the unnatural mouth or the fact her left tit extends over her arm like it wants to escape or the fact that her hair is conjoined with her armpit somehow lmao

I'm genuinely surprised to see so many people fooled by AI on an enthusiast forum like GAF...

I expected more from you GAF

Saints And Sinners Reaction GIF by Bounce

AI is gonna take over the world through tits not robots. It has found humanity's weakness.

Sophist

Like music and cinema, video gaming has trends or eras. Single player games will never stop exist but may fade away like western movies or rat pack.

Hunnybun

Don't be silly. As if consumers are just mindless peons, that have to buy everything corporations make.
It's like modern corporations feel completely entitled to consumers money. As if consumers are just an obstacle between the money corporations feel they deserve.

I've got no idea how that reply is relevant to what I wrote, but I'm happy to acknowledge that you wrote it.

This is always so funny to me. Do these people believe that their industry would exist and be as lucrative as it is without capitalism? If we had a more managed economy, odds are people like Alanah would be told to go dig ditches since they don't appear to have any other truly useful skills.
I'm pretty sure she'd be assigned to a different kind of work.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont work in tech and gaming, but something's wrong. You got many companies (the big ones at least who have stock prices) with tons of profit, but they cut studios or outsource stuff to third party teams. Heck, Konami and Capcom just recorded record financials as per recent threads.

The money is there. Gaming industry is humongous. But compared to traditional companies, there's a few things that make them different.

- High cost to make product, which can take years. In the meantime, there can be zero sales or trickle of sales after the front loaded sales are done
- GAAS is a model some gamers dont like. And if the game sucks, everyone avoids it
- Often it seems if a game or studio fails, management right away guts it. They either permanently cut them, or they create a new studio from the ground up to replace them

If you compare to traditional companies.... think of all the giant corporations and no-name local companies that supply shit to Walmart and grocery stores. I dont get the notion tons of people are getting cut, tons of companies shut down, and entire departments get canned after one failed launch or shitty boxes of muffins. Typically, departments are given another chance. Of course, if it's that bad for a long time people get gassed, but you dont get management typically axing an entire building of people and then rehire to fill the building again with all new staff.

Yall making this sound like politics, like a war is about to break out ,
Just because MS sucks at managing their studios and Employees it’s always been bad for them . The end .

This is just games industry not that serious buy and play games let the companies worry about what they have to handle to keep us buying their games

fart town usa

Gold Member
Unless your were referring to Gamepass, I agree with you.

A good chunk of people/gamers might as well be retarded. The amount of dog piling on the types of games that people claim they want... We know what evil publishers are all about but people support it, cry, and then turn their nose up at a quality alternative because of metacritic or lazy reviews on YT.

Mobilemofo

She's not saying anything new or informative. We all know the state of the industry. It needs reforming, like that scampi that use to be advertised in pubs back in the day.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ronin launched at EUR 75 over here, not really cheap for the not so great graphics.
Bruh.

The game has easily 100+ hours of content and has no MTX, Season Pass, etc. I have 92 hours in the game and it says I'm 64% done. That's not even counting the different routes you can take with story decisions. The game is a freaking juggernaut in terms of content and gameplay.

It is absolutely worth the $70 USD and the art style is gorgeous. Who gives a F about a horse with a bum leg 😅. I embrace it and respect the shit out of that horse. Dude is my taxi and a reliable steed.

Ronin is a prime example of a game that should absolutely be supported and why gamers are often their own worst enemy.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Bruh.

The game has easily 100+ hours of content and has no MTX, Season Pass, etc. I have 92 hours in the game and it says I'm 64% done. That's not even counting the different routes you can take with story decisions. The game is a freaking juggernaut in terms of content and gameplay.

It is absolutely worth the $70 USD and the art style is gorgeous. Who gives a F about a horse with a bum leg 😅. I embrace it and respect the shit out of that horse. Dude is my taxi and a reliable steed.

Ronin is a prime example of a game that should absolutely be supported and why gamers are often their own worst enemy.
I absolutely do not get the need for perfect AAA graphics OR some arbitrary length to justify a full price game. If you don't feel it's worth it buy it on discount. I paid $60 for uncharted 1 and never regretted it. A good game is a good game. If it's 10 hours and linear I'll replay it more often

fart town usa

Gold Member
I absolutely do not get the need for perfect AAA graphics OR some arbitrary length to justify a full price game. If you don't feel it's worth it buy it on discount. I paid $60 for uncharted 1 and never regretted it. A good game is a good game. If it's 10 hours and linear I'll replay it more often
Absolutely. I generally don't even like open world titles. I bought 3 copies of the new Alone in the Dark at $60 a pop and the game definitely has some jank. Still a solid game though and pretty short by modern standards. I'm more than happy to support quality titles because that's the only way we'll get more of them.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what she said but i also don't like how she, on many occasions, says its capitalisms fault.
It is. Less work for more profits is what these companies are chasing. As a matter of principle, "a good product" is just one means to achieving this, and it is demonstrably more costly than spending less money (think subscription services and other passive revenue sources).

tmlDan

It is. Less work for more profits is what these companies are chasing. As a matter of principle, "a good product" is just one means to achieving this, and it is demonstrably more costly than spending less money (think subscription services and other passive revenue sources).
look at my follow up responses, I elaborated later.

It's not that simple.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
- High cost to make product, which can take years. In the meantime, there can be zero sales or trickle of sales after the front loaded sales are done
It's this. This is on devs just as much as publishers. Why the fuck did Redfall take 6 years to make after they shipped Prey in 2017? or was it 2018? Either way, 5-6 years for one game is ridiculous.

Every developer wants to make 50-100 hour games. Who the fuck asked Horizon FW to be 100 hours? Not gamers. We want longer games, yes, but no one wants a 100 hour game.

I was reading reports that Tango was getting ready to pitch hifi rush 2, and arkhane was thinking about pitching prey 2 or dishonred 3. Im sorry, but you guys shipped a game 12-16 months ago and you STILL HAVENT begun work on the next game? If studios cost 10-20 million per year then you've just burned through that much money doing nothing. Game dev on Hifi Rush 2 or Dishonored 2 shouldve begun the day the other game shipped. thats how things used to be back in the day when they were releasing a game every 2 years.

Now everyone just sits around jerking each other off for for the first 2-3 years before realizing they have to ship a game and then rush out some copy pasta trash like Bioware did with Anthem.

EA didnt shut down Bioware after Anthem flopped after a 7 year dev cycle. But Dragon Age Dreadwolf which supposedly began dev 10 years ago and had the Anthem team move over is still not been shown. All we got was a teaser showing three stills. We are 5+ years after Anthem, and 10+ years after Dragon Age Inquisition and this is it? 3 scenes? I would fire them all too.

Dragon Age Inquisition was the first of these nonsense 100 hour games. hinterlands alone had 20 hours of content and that was a prologue. There were PSAs posted telling players to leave hinterlands. Everyone since has followed suit. Why? Why the fuck is GOW ragnorak 40 hours long in story mode? 80 if you do everything. make the story 15-20 hours and add another 15 hours of side content and move the fuck on.

Cory has been working on a new IP since April 2018. it's been 6 years. We havent seen anything. How much money has he burned through? Id fire him too. bend has shown a logo, a single logo, in 5 years. Id shut them down too, but before i do that id slap the studio head just to make an example of incompetence and poor management.

Krathoon

That is essentially the problem. Games are becoming so big that they are not worth your time.

The bubble is bursting. Too much content.

I think we will see an upswing with smaller indie games.

look at my follow up responses, I elaborated later.

It's not that simple.
It literally is. The issues gaming companies (and virtually every major company integrated into the massive supply chain involved with computing especially) are facing today objectively exist. Shrinking profit margins are not solely the cause of ideas. For this post, I will not go into that. You're more than capable of doing so.

What ms faces can be summarized by this: If you ran a company and you had the option of hiring almost no workers or very expensive (to your bottom line) workers with the capability of making a good product, you would surely pick the less risky option. This is where we are.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's this. This is on devs just as much as publishers. Why the fuck did Redfall take 6 years to make after they shipped Prey in 2017? or was it 2018? Either way, 5-6 years for one game is ridiculous.

Every developer wants to make 50-100 hour games. Who the fuck asked Horizon FW to be 100 hours? Not gamers. We want longer games, yes, but no one wants a 100 hour game.

I was reading reports that Tango was getting ready to pitch hifi rush 2, and arkhane was thinking about pitching prey 2 or dishonred 3. Im sorry, but you guys shipped a game 12-16 months ago and you STILL HAVENT begun work on the next game? If studios cost 10-20 million per year then you've just burned through that much money doing nothing. Game dev on Hifi Rush 2 or Dishonored 2 shouldve begun the day the other game shipped. thats how things used to be back in the day when they were releasing a game every 2 years.

Now everyone just sits around jerking each other off for for the first 2-3 years before realizing they have to ship a game and then rush out some copy pasta trash like Bioware did with Anthem.

EA didnt shut down Bioware after Anthem flopped after a 7 year dev cycle. But Dragon Age Dreadwolf which supposedly began dev 10 years ago and had the Anthem team move over is still not been shown. All we got was a teaser showing three stills. We are 5+ years after Anthem, and 10+ years after Dragon Age Inquisition and this is it? 3 scenes? I would fire them all too.

Dragon Age Inquisition was the first of these nonsense 100 hour games. hinterlands alone had 20 hours of content and that was a prologue. There were PSAs posted telling players to leave hinterlands. Everyone since has followed suit. Why? Why the fuck is GOW ragnorak 40 hours long in story mode? 80 if you do everything. make the story 15-20 hours and add another 15 hours of side content and move the fuck on.

Cory has been working on a new IP since April 2018. it's been 6 years. We havent seen anything. How much money has he burned through? Id fire him too. bend has shown a logo, a single logo, in 5 years. Id shut them down too, but before i do that id slap the studio head just to make an example of incompetence and poor management.

There's clearly a very bad problem with time, personnel and money management at a lot of game devs. Quite why, and who's fault it is, is anyone's guess. I know some will be tempted to scream it's all down to wokeness, or some such, but that kind of thing doesn't give you the kinds of delays you're talking out.

Obviously at some point, there was a major breakdown in how game devs function and operate on a day to day basis. I'd suggest a lot of that has to do with the executives demanding they make games they hate, for less money, less time, and less room for creativity. But the management style at a lot of major game devs is clearly way too lax.

From Software don't seem to be affected by it. In fact the Japanese devs don't seem to have the same issue at all. Feels like corporate America has allowed far too much bullshit for far too long, from far too many waste of space higher ups.

Last edited:

tmlDan

It literally is. The issues gaming companies (and virtually every major company integrated into the massive supply chain involved with computing especially) are facing today objectively exist. Shrinking profit margins are not solely the cause of ideas. For this post, I will not go into that. You're more than capable of doing so.

What ms faces can be summarized by this: If you ran a company and you had the option of hiring almost no workers or very expensive (to your bottom line) workers with the capability of making a good product, you would surely pick the less risky option. This is where we are.
But that's not inherently true, the risk regardless in gaming is very high. If you spend 7 years making a massive game and it bombs regardless of mtx or not its actually a bigger risk than a small game from a smaller studio that nets out a tiny profit. If MS wanted a safe bet on permanent growth they'd get out of gaming as a whole, there are far better industries that they can dominate in (cloud servers is one of them) that they can invest heavier into.

The only good bet is COD, so why not shut the rest down by your logic? Starfield did well but it damaged their reputation and Todd Howard is getting old, there's a high chance their next game is a disaster.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is it as good as Nioh 2?
Never played the Nioh games but you better believe I will at some point this year. I've slept on TN for far too long. Last game of theirs I played was NG on the DS.

Ronin has two fatal flaws IMO that has kept people on the fence.

1. Open world is nothing special so that turns open world fans off.
2. Team Ninja diehards like linear levels that are constant action, so they get bored by the open world.

For me it's a perfect blend of deep action mechanics and chill exploration. The game also rewards the shit out of you by simply playing the game. Around 80 hours in I realized that the game is everything that FFXVI should have been. Ronin at its core is honestly a new type of JRPG but it took a while for me to realize it.

One of those games I completely understand if people don't like but man, it just keeps opening up the more I play and the content in it and way things are streamlined is brilliant but you'll only notice it if you really settle in and play the game for a lengthy period of time.

It's my personal GOTY for 2024, nothing else comes close right now.

It's a wild mix of character action/mass effect/JRPG/Diablo (weapons and gear). One of those games like BOTW where it takes on new meaning every 20 hours or so. 🤯

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Never played the Nioh games but you better believe I will at some point this year. I've slept on TN for far too long. Last game of theirs I played was NG on the DS.

Ronin has two fatal flaws IMO that has kept people on the fence.

1. Open world is nothing special so that turns open world fans off.
2. Team Ninja diehards like linear levels that are constant action, so they get bored by the open world.

For me it's a perfect blend of deep action mechanics and chill exploration. The game also rewards the shit out of you by simply playing the game. Around 80 hours in I realized that the game is everything that FFXVI should have been. Ronin at its core is honestly a new type of JRPG but it took a while for me to realize it.

One of those games I completely understand if people don't like but man, it just keeps opening up the more I play and the content in it and way things are streamlined is brilliant but you'll only notice it if you really settle in and play the game for a lengthy period of time.

It's my personal GOTY for 2024, nothing else comes close right now.

It's a wild mix of character action/mass effect/JRPG/Diablo (weapons and gear). One of those games like BOTW where it takes on new meaning every 20 hours or so. 🤯
So probably not as good as Nioh 2. Nioh 2 also in it's own way rewards you for playing the game so that's a plus for Ronin. If Ronin comes to PC ever I'll support it. Sounds like a chill game. Would you say Ronin is more similar to Dragon's Dogma? If so it might be a good time.

Nvzman

Because most of the industry's problems are indeed capitalisms fault. From publishers having to layoff hundreds or thousands of people (sometimes extremely talented teams like Roll7 or Tango) in order to reduce operating costs and boost profit margins, to them cancelling promising projects (Respawn's Star Wars game) that just weren't expected to be profitable enough, to rushing games out of the door within arbitrary windows - mostly the fiscal year's end - in order to meet arbitrary deadlines at the expense of quality, critical and consumer reception and long-term sales performance.

The stock market and shareholders constitute the single largest cancer infecting the industry.
You also wouldn't have video games as an industry at all without capitalism, so its ultimately a meaningless criticism. I think the ACTUAL proper blame that means something is blaming the corporatism of modern video games, which has become way too inflated in recent years. I think what will ultimately happen is a course-correction, these publishers are going to continue to hemorrhage money and staff for a few more years most likely and there's going to be a bigger focus on smaller projects. This is exactly what happened to Hollywood in the 60s-70s when the big budget movies started to absolutely spiral out of control in losses and forced a course-correction that lead to many cult classic, low budget, indie-esque movies in the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. Thats what actual capitalism is as well. Its not just the evil of the world like a lot of pseudo-intellects like to act like how it is. It adjusts to market demand, which is growing tired of the GaaS shit right now.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Absolutely. I generally don't even like open world titles. I bought 3 copies of the new Alone in the Dark at $60 a pop and the game definitely has some jank. Still a solid game though and pretty short by modern standards. I'm more than happy to support quality titles because that's the only way we'll get more of them.
I have started putting the huge ones on the back burner. Like I thought rebirth at launch and still gotta get to it while I enjoy a nice 20-30 hour journey in stellar blade that could be shorter with mainlining it

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But the management style at a lot of major game devs is clearly way too lax.
Yep. There was an article recently about the google CEO telling their employees that this is a business. I feel like valve, google and most video game devs treat their firms like a hippie playground where they are all doing their own thing singing kumbaya until they are 6 months from launch and freak out. In almost every GG, ND and SSM documentary, they talk about how rookie devs can go up to directors and share their ideas with them. Great. Until you realize you have gone way out of scope and that dude didnt do the one job you had assigned him to do. Cory repeatedly talked about how he had to fight and justify every single decision he made on GOW 2018. Why? hes the director. Imagine James Cameron, Tarantino and Christopher Nolan getting pushback from their DPs, stuntmen, cameramen, editors and actors. NO! STFU. Go back to your desk and code, bitch.

It's no surprise to me that Christopher Nolan has made three movies since 2017 while Cory and neil druckmann have released only one game. Movies are far more complex to make than these same PS3 era games these devs are pushing out. These guys dont know how to manage projects, their underlings and dont have the discipline themselves. Neil abandoned his team to go work on the show for 2 years before he was forced to return by Sony. You cant even blame the devs here because they were told to work on a shitty remake for 2 years. Five years wasted on Factions, sure, thats on ND devs, but Neil has been the studio head since 2020 so the buck stops with him.

SHA

I think all the studios that closed recently including non ms studios is that they came way late in development without gamers having a f clue what these games really are, it may work for some major releases like fallout, the elder scrolls, Capcom and some other games I can't think of but that's the reality we're living.

To reach a common ground between studios and us I think listening isn't sufficient anymore as thinking like us, for example,
The scale of all games in development count from 1 to 10, they are way varied than what gamers actually want, that's not what they want and they won't hear from any of them "consumers" this stuff is unnecessary, that would be very helpful to publishers if they discovered this way earlier in development but that doesn't happen unfortunately.

Top Bottom