• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Dring "console market continues to have a horrible year. Sales of games machines are down 30% in the UK this year"

wvnative

Not gonna happen with modern Sony. I want a new Infamous or Sly Raccoon or something creative like Puppeteer or Tearaway. Hell I'll settle for a new Uncharted. But knowing Sony it's gonna be more The Last of Us, Horizon and God of War, and even though I enjoy those franchises I'm kinda tired of them. Especially TLOU and the dark and moody atmosphere and serious tone. Motorstorm coming back would be awesome. Apocalypse was pretty cool. A new one with modern tech would be 👌

No more Sly please. Sly 4 was enough of a massacre. (Agreed on everything else though)

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just a bunch of shit ass games all around, no one cares to buy a console for these PS3 looking Japanese action games. It is what it is.

Sales will pick up after a showcase, IF they show real CURRENT GEN games.

If not, expect them to continue to sink.

GTA6 is the only guaranteed sales boost on the horizon

That game is shaping up to be the most important game of all time.

IGN was right. Yet gamers all laughed. Clueless

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The issue isn't the numerical figures, it's the conclusion being drawn from said numerical figures.

I think it's a moot point though, the executives and shareholders mostly don't care about how the conclusion is drawn in this age of wanting perpetual growth.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Consumer spending in general is down. Homie acting like it's just the console market that's suffering, when it's everything that isn't essential that's suffering in the UK spending wise.

Clown.

Fabieter

No it won't.

GTA VI is going to make console sales explode in 2025 (mainly PS5).

People are seriously under estimating the power of Grand Theft Auto VI and don't understand that it's pretty much a timed PS5 exclusive at this point (not really obviously).

The Switch 2 (unless Nintendo does something insane) is going to be fine.

Xbox is the only one that doesn't have a great path forward as a hardware manufacturer. Even if they did make another console after the Series X/S, it doesn't feel like people are going to be running out to buy it.

Sony themselves said that they expect ps5 to already peaked. I agree with switch 2 tho.

I thought the guy quitted Twitter?

How to lie with statistics 101.
Obviously the guy always try to put Xbox on a golden stand (previous YoY were already bad for Xbox but incredibly good for Sony), but still a big drop for PS5 because of insanely high price in Europe.

Reactions: GHG

hinch7

Cost of living in the UK is high atm, so not too surprising. Plus the weather is getting warm and people are spending their money on trips, and other outings. And less on games.

Last edited:
Sony themselves said that they expect ps5 to already peaked. I agree with switch 2 tho.

Questioner 7
Q: [G&NS segment] You said that you are expecting a slight increase in profits in FY2024. Do you believe that PS5 will be able to exceed the peak profits achieved by previous console generations?

A: Profit levels of PS4 could be one of the references, but it is somewhat inappropriate to simply compare PS4 with PS5 by the number of years that have passed since the launch because PS5 experienced the COVID-19 pandemic. Achieving a higher absolute profit is a challenge that we intend to take on. The market, inclusive of third parties, is bigger now than it was during the PS4 generation. On the other hand, our profitability was better on the PS4 hardware. The bill of materials (BOM) cost is not lower on the updated PS5, so our greatest challenge is to strike the right balance between our margins and ensuring the continued uptake of the console. In addition, our FY2023 and FY2024 financials will include costs associated with past acquisitions. The decline in these costs is expected to boost our profits going forward. Taking all these factors into consideration, we intend to work to achieve a new profit record in the PS5 generation.

FY2023 Q3 Earnings Announcement Q&A Summary

Dr.Morris79

HnO41Lz.gif

..Oh, sorry. It's a day that ends in Y.

adamsapple

I bet PS5 is still ahead of PS4 (time aligned ofc)

Edit: maybe not, seems like price is too high. Still, I would say even roughly repeating PS4's success is fine considering economics and much higher price and lack of games. It's only 1 manufacturer that is truly fucked (hint: not Sony/Nintendo).

Not a lot of compelling software releasing in this window to entice people to run out and buy new consoles, understandable.

Fabieter

It has also forecast “a gradual decline in [PS5] unit sales from next fiscal year onwards”, and said it has no plans to release any new entries in “major” franchises like God of War of Spider-Man during the 12 months ending in March 2025.

tmlDan

I'd say Helldivers 2 would count as mainstream for Sony.

I do agree, but being on PC at launch complicates things for console specific sales.

In terms of their financials? it's obviously great. I think Chris also said software sales are doing very well considering.

It's almost like you didn't read the OP.
You know, one of the things I really love about the games industry is it's a creative art form, and it means that the situation and what success is for each console and we look at a whole variety of factors when we're faced with sorta making decisions and tradeoffs like that, uhhh, but it all comes back to the console being a PlayStation.

It has also forecast “a gradual decline in [PS5] unit sales from next fiscal year onwards”, and said it has no plans to release any new entries in “major” franchises like God of War of Spider-Man during the 12 months ending in March 2025.

Can you show me where sony actually gave guidance on fy2024...

Woopah

Youre both right. Somy expects PS5 hardware unit sales to have peaked, but that doesn't mean PS5 profits have peaked.

adamsapple

You know, one of the things I really love about the games industry is it's a creative art form, and it means that the situation and what success is for each console and we look at a whole variety of factors when we're faced with sorta making decisions and tradeoffs like that, uhhh, but it all comes back to the console being a PlayStation.

I give you slightly above 25% marks for this.

This is the actual quote.

Regarding the PS5 hardware, which will enter its fifth year since launch,partially due to its entering the latter half of the console cycle, we aim tooptimize sales with a greater emphasis on the balance with profits, so weanticipate a gradual decline in unit sales from next fiscal year onwards.

So technically you could say it will have peaked, but i don't think that means what you think it means

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
PS5 sales kick ass in 2023: “OMG Sony is killing it! PS5 is on track to be the best selling PlayStation console of all time!”

PS5 sales crater in 2024: “well duh we should’ve expected this, sales spiked after the COVID shortages ended and all that pent up demand was finally satisfied, I knew this was going to happen”

Fabieter

Youre both right. Somy expects PS5 hardware unit sales to have peaked, but that doesn't mean PS5 profits have peaked.

That makes sense they made the ps+ more expensive by last September and more units means more profits technically at least even if there is less potential growth if they already peaked with hardware.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not surprising when Switch has been at the tail end of its lifespan.

Can’t say I’m surprised though. My general interest in gaming has been going down a bit as well. I’m more interested in researching my next vehicle and cooking/gym shit than videogame related stuff.

There’s not much to be excited about.

Price of the PS4 Slim in UK as April 2017: £249

Price of the PS5 Slim disc in UK as April 2024: £479.

That’s almost an increase of about 92% on the most selling SKU of the PS4 and PS5.

A lot of people will argue about inflation, but wages have increased about 23% in the UK from 2017 to 2024, and cost of living is way higher than 2017.

Yes, they need a permanent price cut to keep sales steady.

And, Lol at people thinking Switch 2 will be anywhere near $299. That think will be between $399-449.

Woopah

Sorry I only count First Party from First Party studios... so I'll change my post to accomodate your bias...

Sony needs to drop games from their First Party Studios ..
It's not bias it's just had a fact.

Helldivers 2 was a much bigger first party game for Sony than MLB, even though the latter is from an internal studio and the former is not.

Likewise Smash Bros Ultimate did not have be from an internal studio to be an important first party game for Nintendo
That makes sense they made the ps+ more expensive by last September and more units means more profits technically at least even if there is less potential growth if they already peaked with hardware.
Yes, they can keep growing profits from software, MTX and subscriptions even if hardware revenue declines.

GHG

Gold Member
PS5 sales kick ass in 2023: “OMG Sony is killing it! PS5 is on track to be the best selling PlayStation console of all time!”

PS5 sales crater in 2024: “well duh we should’ve expected this, sales spiked after the COVID shortages ended and all that pent up demand was finally satisfied, I knew this was going to happen”

Yeh, 25% down after a year which contained the two best quarters they've ever had.

Nintendo are down since the Switch is reaching end of life and pretty much everyone who wants one already owns one at this point.

Don't know where the silver lining or excuse is for Xbox though considering they just released game of the forever in Q4 of last year which should have (and was expected to) sparked some kind of momentum.

So frankly, this article and it's conclusions whereby a single blanket is attempted to be thrown over all three consoles makes very little sense. It fails to take in to account the varying circumstances of the respective ecosystems.

Last edited:

kikkis

Price of the PS4 Slim in UK as April 2017: £249

Price of the PS5 Slim disc in UK as April 2024: £479.

That’s almost an increase of about 92% on the most selling SKU of the PS4 and PS5.

A lot of people will argue about inflation, but wages have increased about 23% in the UK from 2017 to 2024, and cost of living is way higher than 2017.

Yes, they need a permanent price cut to keep sales steady.

And, Lol at people thinking Switch 2 will be anywhere near $299. That think will be between $399-449.
I don't think it's the price really. I don't think consoles are things that you get because the price is right. I think you really need to want to play games. There just isn't any system sellers or even whole lot of decent games that look much better than last gen.

Not surprising when Switch has been at the tail end of its lifespan.

Can’t say I’m surprised though. My general interest in gaming has been going down a bit as well. I’m more interested in researching my next vehicle and cooking/gym shit than videogame related stuff.

There’s not much to be excited about.
This is so true. I've been spending money on aquariums and my dogs because gaming is so fucking boring right now.

feynoob

Yeh, 25% down after a year which contained the two best quarters they've ever had.

Nintendo are down since the Switch is reaching end of life and pretty much everyone who wants one already owns one at this point.

Don't know where the silver lining or excuse is for Xbox though considering they just released game of the forever in Q4 of last year which should have (and was expected to) sparked some kind of momentum.

So frankly, this article and it's conclusions whereby a single blanket is attempted to be thrown over all three consoles makes very little sense. It fails to take in to account the varying circumstances of the respective ecosystems.
Xbox dead.

PS5 is going to have a rough gen remaining. Only silver lining is gta6.

Switch would have a new gen. Could be big or not depending on which Nintendo shows up.

Top Bottom