• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Sucker Punch could be working on Sly Cooper at some capacity

Draugoth

Gold Member
image-w1280.jpg

TL DW:

• Perfect Dark is not in development hell. Game is going through some stuff which is true for every AAA game development. It will probably be at Showcase
  • Gears 6 will probably also be there, question is the form
  • Grubb also expects id Software new game there
  • Grubb expects Sony showcase in may
  • Sucker Punch maybe working on Sly
  • Concord will probably be there
  • Same for Astro new game
  • Dragon Age Dreadwolf probably at SGF or in time around SGF. Game is shaping up very nicely, release expected this calendar year

Last edited:
If I understood correctly if they really are working on a Sly Cooper game then it'll mean that it pushes Ghost of Tsushima 2 further out. If that is true I'm going to fucking flip. Fuck that furry bastard.
Something went terribly wrong at Sucker Punch if it took 4 years to not even drop an announcement trailer for Sly Cooper. It makes way more sense that GOT2 is first followed by Sly Cooper, the latter probably being in pre-production.

Sucker punch has also doubled its studio size since GOT released in 2020. So them having multiple projects in development shouldn't be surprising

But I am a little surprised Sony is greenlighting a Sly Cooper game. On PS5, they already have Astrobot, R&C Drift Apart, and a fully fledged Astrobot game coming reportedly this year. Platforming games don't make money on systems that aren't Nintendo, so I am skeptical this rumor is true, honestly

Edit- Remake/remaster of Sly Cooper makes much more sense

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I remember Sly 4 coming out and absolutely nobody caring.

I'm a big PS1/2 platformer guy, but let it go.

Kurotri

Something went terribly wrong at Sucker Punch if it took 4 years to not even drop an announcement trailer for Sly Cooper. It makes way more sense that GOT2 is first followed by Sly Cooper, the latter probably being in pre-production.

Sucker punch has also doubled its studio size since GOT released in 2020. So them having multiple projects in development shouldn't be surprising

But I am a little surprised Sony is greenlighting a Sly Cooper game. On PS5, they already have Astrobot, R&C Drift Apart, and a fully fledged Astrobot game coming reportedly this year. Platforming games don't make money on systems that aren't Nintendo, so I am skeptical this rumor is true, honestly

Yeah, if what Grubb speculates turns out to be correct I worry about dev issues. I just want GoT2 first, Sly can come after that.

Lol. They're not going to have Sly interfering with Ghost's development. if it's true then it's something that's still in a concept phase with a handful of people involved.

Literally any PlayStation Showcase-related rumor from Grubb, Nick, or whoever else is going straight to the trash can for me. I am not listening to these dudes after they hyped up the Showcase last year and we ended up with something that was mediocre (at best).

Please tell me the rest of you did not forget this BS hype cycle stunt they pulled last year, just to know that Showcase was going to be a letdown? I don't care if SIE are quiet as a mouse about anything 1P that isn't a PC port; that's their problem. But I'm not letting these bogus insiders gas me up again with hopes and dreams just to turn out it was more lies.

I'm not even gonna speculate on this one, not worth it.

tmlDan

Honestly, this is prob a bad idea.

Sly never really was a breakout hit or anything, why waste time on it. But, again, i don't believe Grubb n this.

nial

Sly Cooper, that’s some bs by Grubb as usual. If anything they would do infamous over sly cooper.
A new Sly game would be a lot easier to make.
This is fake news, Sucker Punch already officially debunked this almost two years ago:

image.png

They said they -or any other studio- weren't working on Sly Cooper or Infamous and that there weren't plans to revisit these IPs.
Yeah, two years ago, plans can change. I mean, I don't really like Sly Cooper that much so this rumor isn't doing it for me, but I don't think that post disproves anything.

yurinka

Yeah, two years ago, plans can change. I mean, I don't really like Sly Cooper that much so this rumor isn't doing it for me, but I don't think that post disproves anything.
Two years ago they were starting to work on GoT2, which is their current project. They may have grow their team, but didn't have time since then to create a new team, make the preproduction and start the production of a new title.

And well, in big companies like Sony or AAA studios with projects that cost hundreds of millions they have long term roadmaps looking 10 years in the future, where the long term stuff may change but the short term stuff, things to be made in the next year or two don't mostly change.

When they publicly debunked it, saying that them or any other team were working on these IPs and don't plan to do it in the future they mean that for sure in minimum 5 years or so they won't work on any new games of these IPs.

So yes, that post debunked it.

nial

And well, in big companies like Sony or AAA studios with projects that cost hundreds of millions they have long term roadmaps looking 10 years in the future
That may seem the case looking at Insomniac's roadmap, but it's rarely like that, ever. Most of that stuff were licensed IP projects.
Also, it very well could mean this.
if it's true then it's something that's still in a concept phase with a handful of people involved.

Perrott

They're not working on Sly Cooper. Not only because Sucker Punch debunked the Sly rumors two years ago, but also because an hypothetical second Sucker Punch project being Sly is entirely speculation on Grubb's part if you listen to the podcast.

I could see a scenario in which they're being much more ambitious for Ghost 2 and wanting to put out another project, a smaller-scale new IP or licensed title, ahead of it - but no chance in hell that it is Sly.

nial

I could see a scenario in which they're being much more ambitious for Ghost 2 and wanting to put out another project, a smaller-scale new IP or licensed title, ahead of it - but no chance in hell that it is Sly.
It could very well be, though. I don't see any issues with the idea, it's a platformer IP.
I would see it between Ghost of Tsushima 2 and 3. They weren't that big until much recently.

Kokoloko85

Id buy day 1 but didnt he say this years back and Sucker Punch came out and said they arent working on Sly and no1 else is either

Welp, no point in keeping arguing about it:

Yeah, thought so. I don't think Sony will ever green light a small platformer game from one of their top 5 premiere studios(SSM, Insomniac, ND, Guerilla, or Sucker Punch). There's no money in it. And it's just wasted resources that could go to big IP franchises that all of those studios have in abundance

Last edited:

Perrott

Grubb has a lot of hits, but many more misses and walkbacks than other "legit" insiders. It's so consistent as to be weird.
To be fair, a good bunch of Grubb's misses come down to the fucking illiterate people over at r/GamingLeaksAndRumors misquoting him and saying he claimed X and Y and Z when, if you check the podcast footage, you can clearly see that he's speculating in regards to those matters, not claiming anything.

In fact, in this occasion he never claimed that Sucker Punch could be working on Sly Cooper, that was nothing more than his (poorly educated, if I say so myself) speculation on what a second Sucker Punch project could be.

hyperbertha

Is that like Tokyo drift but furry? Release when?
Edit: also that's a lot of astrobot games. Sony really all in on VR huh?

Last edited:

Holammer

Never played any of those games, but there seems to be a lot of love for them. I'd certainly investigate a remake / reboot.
They are 20 years old, but should hold up pretty well mechanically, good music and voice acting don't age as much as the art.
It's a series I want to replay and it works perfectly with RPCS3, but I'm holding off in the hopes that Sony releases the Sly collection for PC.

But I fear Sony is stupid and refuses to re-release old games. We don't even get Uncharted Trilogy.

Hudo

It may have been canned during the time since then?

thing is, Matsuno followed up with a tweet saying that even if he were in the know, he could not legally confirm its existence since that's Square's job.

Last edited:

demigod

A new Sly game would be a lot easier to make.

A Sly Cooper game would not be making the money Sony would want. The game can barely hit a million sales. Plus Sucker Punch doesn’t spit out games like Insomniac.

Top Bottom