• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to Push Game Pass Advertisement In a New Windows 11 Update, Setting the Tone for OS Promotions

El Muerto

It will probably be best to move away from Spyware 11. In the next big update they will turn on bitlocker by default when you upgrade or do a fresh install. All my other pcs and laptops are on Manjaro. The only reason why i still use Windows is because of VR and a handful of steam games.

Cringe Reaction GIF
Stop cyber bullying me, Topher!

reinking

Gold Member
I might get blasted for this but it really hasn't bothered me being in settings. I have had the "Game Pass Ultimate" selection there for a while and it just doesn't bother me. At least no more than "Try Microsoft Office 365" does. IMO, as long as they are sticking to their own products and keep them in a tucked away area, I am not too concerned.

Are you posting from 2015?

Considering the experience I've had with my steam deck I'd say it far from "sucks".
Linux is pretty great for singleplayer gamers. Ironically, it plays old Windows games better than modern Windows.

Where Linux sucks for gaming is if you only play, for instance, Fortnite.

DaGwaphics

I was presented a GP ad when I installed Win11 and on an old machine where I reinstalled Win10. Company advertises a product via its other products, next on headline news.... :messenger_squinting_tongue:

GHG

Gold Member
Steamdeck isn't the same as PC Linux.

Yes it is.

You clearly haven't used one so please spare us the ignorant uniformed commentary.

Optimized for steam deck. It doesn't mean it's optimized for PC Linux

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. This is what "optimised for steam deck" entails, I discussed this elsewhere just yesterday when discussing a different topic, it would be worth you reading it along with Valve's documentation:

What is important to note is that there isn't really a dev environment for the Steam Deck in the same way that there is for consoles. It's just a case of making a PC (or ideally, a Linux version) of your game and then providing a set of suggested settings (inclusive of a controller config) for when the game detects that it's running on the Steam Deck, and that's it:

That's a huge step change from the console development environment where games need to be specifically created for the console. If developers/publishers are complaining about the current predicament regarding xbox versions of their games then this will go a huge way towards solving that - they will no longer need to make a console specific version for "xbox", it will just be a case of making the PC version and then providing suggested settings appropriate for the hardware Microsoft opt to go with.

Even if the developer fails to come up with something appropriate, Microsoft can have a tiny team who can be responsible for sorting that out on their end. Worst comes to worse, the burden falls on the end user (as it does on the Steam Deck).

PaintTinJr

LMAO after reading the last line, I'm glad I never stopped using Local Account in Windows even after MS tried so hard to make that almost impossible without a command line workaround during initial setup
Even that sadly doesn't work today, the latest builds of home edition force you to setup a Microsoft Account, and by my experience, then you have to retro actively setup a local Windows account with administration rights to delete that Microsoft account profile on the computer.

feynoob

Yes it is.

You clearly haven't used one so please spare us the ignorant uniformed commentary.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. This is what "optimised for steam deck" entails, I discussed this elsewhere just yesterday when discussing a different topic, it would be worth you reading it along with Valve's documentation:
I would spare the discussion for you.
Until the devs bother full support for Linux, you won't be able to enjoy it like windows.

Devs have to actually put the work for you to enjoy it.

GHG

Gold Member
Until the devs bother full support for Linux, you won't be able to enjoy it like windows.

You're in over your head here. What do you think Proton is?

There are also an increasing number of games shipping with native linux support.

rm082e

I've been on 11 for a while. Stay on 10 as long as you can.

Haha!

I have a calendar reminder set for August 1st of next year. I only have 4 machines to upgrade, so no big deal. And if it keeps going this way, they may even push the date out past 10/14/25. 🤞

Topher

Gold Member

Games on Steam Deck and on Linux in general primarily run on a compatiblity layer called Proton that translates Windows code to Linux. Devs don't have to do a thing.

Unknown?

The only way Windows MIGHT get better is if it has competition, because right now it's annoying that my PC, which is several thousands, is still sluggish to open the damn file explorer.

I've honestly been thinking about getting a Macbook for my daily driver to be honest...

But we need a new OS competitor that is open like Windows, but butter smooth like Apples OS.
You're talking about Linux and it is even more open than Windows, it's completely open source.

Pedro Motta

Even that sadly doesn't work today, the latest builds of home edition force you to setup a Microsoft Account, and by my experience, then you have to retro actively setup a local Windows account with administration rights to delete that Microsoft account profile on the computer.
Hey Topher Topher you can teach him as well.

MarkMe2525

It's just so out of place to have it there that it feels invasive. Keep the advertising to the news feed, search bar, app store or something. Putting it in Settings is just strange. Imagine you're trying to troubleshoot some issue and a gamepass ad shows up. You're not in a "discovering" mood when you're in settings. Why they would put it there is beyond me. I guess telemetry data told them a lot of people spend time there.
It's their "Home" screen, not a buried settings menu.

Calverz

Gold Member
I dgaf where I play my games, so I'm in denial about what exactly? I'll just get a PS6 if XBOX did pull out of the market entirely (not happening this or next gen at least). Just sick of the circlejerk, it's boring seeing the same posters with the same memes and shitposting or hating at every single little thing or opportunity .

XBOX consolidated QA testers and let some people go from Acti and probs Bethesda, but here you will see headlines like "MS fires Activision and Bethesda staff", the thread then follows into the routine of XBOX is dead and one big boring circlejerk. Surely PlayStation fans here shouldn't even care so much but the fight is real I guess and the other side would maybe the same but in a much less scale.

I shouldn't expect any less than these kind of responses though I guess.

*This is Neogaf.gif*
Yes. The avengers.

PaintTinJr

Happy to help

If the referral person bothered to read my comment, I said it doesn't work anymore on the latest builds, as I tried that very thing on my daughter's Ideapad 7 that Santa got her, and it doesn't work, either by lenovo blocking it, or Microsoft. Presumably the later as it was necessary to then let their Gamepass offer/advert kick in :).

Even trying to upgrade the shitty home software to Pro with a retail boxed copy license, was looking like a replacement NVME SSD needed, or a forced £200 WinStore upgrade by lenovo/Microsoft because of Bios/UEFI pre-install OEM key, even trying all the command line solutions out there didn't work, and even after getting Pro installed via USB cfg option file, it still wouldn't take the key.

Finally I tried the OEM-Pro evalution keys to do the upgrade offline, and then finally got it to take the Retail Pro key, which then activated after I put it back online. It is just completely overreach and herding people to online accounts and expensive options with Windows, now. I was really taken aback when it wouldn't take a retail boxed license key, saying it was invalid to upgrade the 3-in-1.

Last edited:
So Microsoft bought "taste"?

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter
Unfortunately this doesn't really seem to be possible, see Bethesda and Activision Blizzard for more information

And MS didn't buy Apple, they simply injected some cash when the company was near bankruptcy. They weren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts either, if you don't have Phil's balls in your throat you wouldn't be trying to revise history to pretend MS wasn't facing the US Government Antitrust investigation at that time and were so desperate to prove that Windows wasn't a monopoly that they propped Apple up so they could say they had "competitors"

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Unfortunately this doesn't really seem to be possible, see Bethesda and Activision Blizzard for more information

And MS didn't buy Apple, they simply injected some cash when the company was near bankruptcy. They weren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts either, if you don't have Phil's balls in your throat you wouldn't be trying to revise history to pretend MS wasn't facing the US Government Antitrust investigation at that time and were so desperate to prove that Windows wasn't a monopoly that they propped Apple up so they could say they had "competitors"

Yeah, I was just messing around. Wasn't implying they were buying Apple though. And you are right that MS wasn't being benevolent here. This settled Apple's longstanding lawsuit against Microsoft as well as made Internet Explorer the default web browser for Mac. So the whole "saving Apple" narrative is a bit sus but a lot of MS fans like to run with it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
At this rate my next OS will be a Linux distro for my main gaming PC.
I'm starting to lean this way myself. MS products always left a lot to be desired, but up until Windows 7 or so they were at least mostly gradually improving between each consecutive release. That included Office as well.

Win 8 and onward, they've been making the user experience actively worse while continuing to take away functionality that added to productivity. And their online services are still subpar.

Reactions: GHG

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The only way Windows MIGHT get better is if it has competition, because right now it's annoying that my PC, which is several thousands, is still sluggish to open the damn file explorer.

I've honestly been thinking about getting a Macbook for my daily driver to be honest...

But we need a new OS competitor that is open like Windows, but butter smooth like Apples OS.
You have something very wrong with your Windows and/or you are on a HDD yet.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Guess I’m lucky. I’ve had very little issues with my Windows 11 installation. I just created a local account instead and use that. Maybe if you don’t know Windows that well it could be an issue…

Topher

Gold Member
I think if MS is going to go down this road then Windows should be completely free. Sell an ad-free version.

fucking trillionaire companies man. It's all about nickels and dimes

Guess I’m lucky. I’ve had very little issues with my Windows 11 installation. I just created a local account instead and use that. Maybe if you don’t know Windows that well it could be an issue…
windows 11 sucks, it has drm, ads in menu and other areas like lock screen, spyware and bloated with apps that arent even needed.

I really don't have much sympathy for anyone that uses Windows outside of launching Steam or maybe Chrome to look up something up real quick in the middle of a gaming session.

Everything else can be done on Linux, maybe there's an argument for doing more high end professional work like video/photo editing or music creation on MacOS but that's about it.

So don't really see much of an issue with Microsoft sheering the sheep, you shouldn't be so soft and sheerable!

Crayon

Yeah I need to explore other options at some point in the future. Tbh, these days 95% of my PCing is just using chrome. All my spreadsheets etc are all on the cloud and accessed/updated via the browser. It does get more complicated if gaming though... maybe Steam will do more again on that side.

Perfect candidate, really. If you play any mo games seriously, check to make sure they are anti cheat blocked. If no issues there, it would be on the easier side to switch. Still a lot to get used to but you don't even have to look at that between just steam and browser.

Come to think of it, my gaming PC in the living room only ever runs browser and steam 99% of the time.

//DEVIL//

Been a while since I used a recent Mac OS. But do they do this shit ? Ads in the menus and shit ?

How a company can be so out of touch with prestige and style like this ?

I’ll fuck up every registry file if I have to and block these ads .

Someone needs to nuke this shit company.

“ we are introducing “ <~~ as if they are brining something awesome. Get fucked Nutella dude

Ronin_7

People still use Windows outside of work?

I guess most people using are Gamers & those communities are too attached to Steam.

Lmao Microsoft.

Top Bottom