• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE9 leak update - Leon will be the protagonist for the entirety of the game

Madflavor

Fuck man. Capcom got 0 love for Jill. Not sure what the point of bringing her back and making her age slow if they don’t plan on using her in a game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
chris:

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Madflavor

Chris has been the protagonist in enough RE games, and so has Leon. In fact Chris is going to have his time again in the inevitable RE5 Remake.

Jill on the other hand has gotten fucked over. I think in terms of popularity, she's the character who wins the most polls. Fans love her, and yet she hasn't been the protagonist of a Resident Evil game since the original trilogy. It's really fucking strange. They just brought her back, and tinkered with the lore so that apparently she now ages slowly. With the rest of the OG cast aging out, it's strange if these rumors are true and Capcom just aren't going to use her.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I’d like to see them return to raccoon city.
resident evil 2 capcom GIF
Agreed on the more Urban or familiar environments.
something familiar and once lived in turned into something filled with dread is way more effective for horror.
And more interesting because they tell a story more then some fictional village or castle.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Bring in new talent, new directors and writers. Let them guide or derail the hand of the original staff. Push the Tempo style. Let the protagonist do some crazy, not expected shit to stimulate the players a bit, just a teeny weeny bit. I'm not writing examples :D.

I’d like to see them return to raccoon city.
resident evil 2 capcom GIF
Agreed on the more Urban or familiar environments.
something familiar and once lived in turned into something filled with dread is way more effective for horror.
And more interesting because they tell a story more then some fictional village or castle.
The only way this works is if it’s a remake of one of the following:

Survivor
Outbreak
Outbreak 2
Operation Raccoon City
Umbrella Corps

I agree otherwise about the urban environments, as long as it doesn’t end up with a plot as goofy as RE 6.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'd prefer Jill Valentine or Rebecca Chambers. I don't find Ethan/Rose all that great and they rely on Leon and Ada way too much.

If I wanted to be original I'd say put HUNK or a Umbrella Corp character as a new lead character which could lead to a nice redemption story.

Or play as a infected person and as you progress the game you can either look for a cure or embrace your infection and grow stronger as part of a power fantasy.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Lame, I’m sick of the old crew.
You shut your mouth!
We haven’t had a new RE with the old crew since RE6 - and that was trash. Actually, the last good RE with the old crew was bloody RE4. Would be nice to have the story actually move forward a bit.

That being said, I would have hoped for Jill or Claire but I’m down for more Leon as well. But I suspect they will all show up in the next RE. They didn’t cast the new models for nothing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
...wtf. Worst take ever for a RE game.
Disagree. RE1 is still the best RE game to date. Out of the remakes RE2 is still arguably the best of the bunch instead of dudebro third person shooter. I'd overall much prefer either one big location that's all connected like RE1 mansion or RE2's RPD. Or a large city metropolis where you undercover a deeper conspiracy as you explore.

Out of all survival horrors the one's I'd go back to are easily RE1, RE2R, Fatal Frame in it's entirety, Silent Hill 1-3, Signalis, the recent Crow Country, Alisa, Luigi's Mansion 1(yes really), Alien Isolation, Dino Crisis(can you imagine in RE Engine!?), Evil Within(rip Tango).

And most of these have that Metroid style progression of find roadblock and find item/upgrade to get to new area and just explore and figure things out.

SHA

While he is not fucked up, he is definitely jaded and worn down after nonstop years of fighting bioweapons:

Well, the author could just throw any healthy anti-aging habits like eating 7 raw eggs or something, RE is one of the few ips that shares movies elements so why not?

Is this open world trash? Or was that Tomb Raider? I heard a rumor about a franchise going open world and I forget which one it was
Well, I heard strong rumors that RE9 will be open world as well as Tomb Raider unfortunately. Hopefully that isn’t factual, but we’ll see. I have a feeling it will be open world though in all honesty.

Also, hoping it’s third person at least especially if Leon is back. I wouldn’t mind seeing Jill making a return as well. Maybe even Claire or Chris be in it possibly.

Last edited:
Disagree. RE1 is still the best RE game to date. Out of the remakes RE2 is still arguably the best of the bunch instead of dudebro third person shooter. I'd overall much prefer either one big location that's all connected like RE1 mansion or RE2's RPD. Or a large city metropolis where you undercover a deeper conspiracy as you explore.

Out of all survival horrors the one's I'd go back to are easily RE1, RE2R, Fatal Frame in it's entirety, Silent Hill 1-3, Signalis, the recent Crow Country, Alisa, Luigi's Mansion 1(yes really), Alien Isolation, Dino Crisis(can you imagine in RE Engine!?), Evil Within(rip Tango).

And most of these have that Metroid style progression of find roadblock and find item/upgrade to get to new area and just explore and figure things out.

I dont know where this came from but I dont remember ANYONE, EVER calling RE series a metroidovania. When I search metriadovania category on Steam I get: Dead Cells, Blasphemous, Animal Farm, Castlevania, Hollow Knight, Ori etc...I dont know what you guys are mixing up but RE is survival horror genre. First person or third person, it always plays the same. You guys speak as if RE2 is inside the police station only. There were the sewers, the lab, the streets. Same as RE8 has half the game exploring the castle and the other half a cyborg factory.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I don't care, I wanna see a leap in the next iteration of REngine, rather than another game in RE2R/3R/4R tier presentation.

Inspector Q

I dont know where this came from but I dont remember ANYONE, EVER calling RE series a metroidovania. When I search metriadovania category on Steam I get: Dead Cells, Blasphemous, Animal Farm, Castlevania, Hollow Knight, Ori etc...I dont know what you guys are mixing up but RE is survival horror genre. First person or third person, it always plays the same. You guys speak as if RE2 is inside the police station only. There were the sewers, the lab, the streets. Same as RE8 has half the game exploring the castle and the other half a cyborg factory.
I guess I can only speak for myself, but when I hear the term "metroidvania" I generally think of a large maze-like area which has certain sections blocked off. You generally need to acquire items or abilities to slowly unlock the blocked off sections. This style of gameplay allows us to become really familiar with the environment. You get a key or ability way later in the game and your reaction is like "oh, I can finally unlock that door/section".

Terms like "Survival Horror" and "Metroidvania" are bullshit terms anyway and aren't even mutually exclusive. RE1 has elements of both, I would say? I think we all just came up with these terms to help us better describe certain titles. I think RE games are listed as part of the "Adventure" genre by normies, but us videogame nerds came up with something more specific with "Survival Horror".

Regardless, call it whatever you want. I would also prefer a more "metroidvania" style game as opposed to something completely open world like a Far Cry or a more A to B style game like RE 5 and 6.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The only way this works is if it’s a remake of one of the following:

Survivor
Outbreak
Outbreak 2
Operation Raccoon City
Umbrella Corps

I agree otherwise about the urban environments, as long as it doesn’t end up with a plot as goofy as RE 6.
Yeah it can't be Raccoon City again, that's gone

wipeout364

I know it wasn’t very popular and was very flawed but I would like to see them get a good studio (could be internal) to take another crack at operation raccoon city. I think that was such an interesting idea and Capcom has been doing multiplayer co op games forever. I think they could deliver something really cool.

Just stay away from the PVP stuff as they have shown they don’t know what they are doing in that realm.

Madflavor

Who else is looking forward to 50 year old Leon and 50 year old Ada still playing the same cat and mouse “will they won’t they” game they’ve been playing for the past 30 years?

I ask cause I’m definitely excited. I don’t think it’s sad and pathetic at this point at all.

Top Bottom