• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Blocks Ghost of Tsushima PC Sales in Countries Without PSN

Helldivers 2 is also still blocked in those regions despite the requirements supposedly having become optional. Can't help but think Sony is up to something sketchy here

They probably just want to go ahead and establish a norm for all their games at this point and IMO that's a better idea. Don't want to get the hopes up of peoples in these countries.

Topher

Gold Member
Neither Valve nor Sony are officially commenting on this so it's an unclear situation. Sucker Punch were tweeting about how linking isn't required to play SP, I don't think a first party studio would be putting that out if they knew the game was going to be blocked by their parent publisher.

Confusion and lack of communication was the norm with Helldivers 2 so why would this situation be any different?

Guilty_AI

They probably just want to go ahead and establish a norm for all their games at this point and IMO that's a better idea. Don't want to get the hopes up of peoples in these countries.
Or they fully plan on walking back on the non-PSN requirement for HD2.

In Philippines the PS5 is oficially sold there but thers no oficial PSN there yet. what Sony recomend the players to do is create an account from other country. So i dont really know why this is a problem on Steam when players can create accounts from whatever countries they want. I have PSN accounts from 4 diferent continents.

No idea then. I can only think it's government regulations. Sony could have a more physical presence in those areas while valve doesn't so they're more flexible in that way

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Confusion and lack of communication was the norm with Helldivers 2 so why would this situation be any different?

It very well could be. Some transparency from either side would be nice.

Neither does Sony.

cKj06eR.jpeg

ToadMan

Awesome!

I'll say it again for a new thread.

PS3 era Sony - get two jobs to afford the console.

PS5 era Sony - get a second nationality to purchase games.

Kind of crazy really. MS can't give it's games away on GP, while Sony just shrugs as potential customers are blocked from paying full price lol.

bender

What time is it?

You'd have to guess the online component of Tsushima will launch in a much better state based on demand alone.

StereoVsn

Neither Valve nor Sony are officially commenting on this so it's an unclear situation. Sucker Punch were tweeting about how linking isn't required to play SP, I don't think a first party studio would be putting that out if they knew the game was going to be blocked by their parent publisher.
They may not know WTF headquarters is doing though. Hell, maybe nobody over there knows WTF they are all doing.

BlackTron

It seems that Valve is abusing its functional monopoly again, because I doubt Sony would remove the game for sale in countries/regions that do have PSN like US territories and the Philippines.

Honestly for all of the virtue signaling over the Helldivers 2 stuff, because a subset of PC players are too stupidly proud to make a PSN account, they ended up screwing over people in these countries.

If only not for the pride against PSN accounts, all those people in restricted territories would never have had need to refund the game.

All this blaming clients for companies' stupidity is really getting old.

EDIT: Looking at the store i buy games that mention the audio languages, it seems the Directors Cut version of the game removed the japanese voices. So only the base PS4 version has English and Japanese voices to choose.

Thanks you just saved me sixty bucks. The game takes place in fucking Japan. I'll just keep the base PS4 version whatever. "Director's Cut" hahaha

BlackTron

Or they fully plan on walking back on the non-PSN requirement for HD2.

Or Steam doesn't trust Sony. They might be uncomfortable selling in these territories now without a literal written agreement from Sony that the requirement won't be imposed later, as it would leave Steam in another bad spot. Of course it's more realistic just to let those countries get shafted. Sony just did to Steam what CDPR did to Sony with Cyberpunk. No sir, they don't like it.

Guilty_AI

Or Steam doesn't trust Sony. They might be uncomfortable selling in these territories now without a literal written agreement from Sony that the requirement won't be imposed later, as it would leave Steam in another bad spot. Of course it's more realistic just to let those countries get shafted. Sony just did to Steam what CDPR did to Sony with Cyberpunk. No sir, they don't like it.
Its still not clear whether its sony or steam doing it. All points to it being Sony themselves blocking the game.

Juza

Who is actually ordering these restrictions, Sony or Valve?
Sony's staff is taking preemptive steps, which will most likely be changed in the coming days. Valve does not take similar steps on pubs/devs applications. It is absolutely up to them. This is what Steam Support told me when I asked them once about why some games blocked in some regions?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Topher Topher , looking at the way that email is worded, it sounds like Valve are taking this step pro-actively, to me at least.

Definitely. Email points back to the publisher. Seems clear to me Valve acts only as the middle man. Sony is the one making the decisions as it is their game.

Last edited:

GHound

Dont the PS5 version of GoT has japanese voices? If i remember correctly on PS4 you could choose Japanese voices, but the lip sinc was done for the english voices.

EDIT: Looking at the store i buy games that mention the audio languages, it seems the Directors Cut version of the game removed the japanese voices. So only the base PS4 version has English and Japanese voices to choose.
This is false. I only ever played the game and expansion on PS5 and with Japanese voices.
Edit: Also has Japanese listed under full audio on Steam.
0pbqM9S.png

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They’re definitely going to try some further fuckery around this. They’re far too greedy not to. I just hope people see through it.

Fredrik

So all games with any type of multiplayer functionality won’t be available in the 177 or whatever countries without PSN access?

Seems harsh to me. Some never even touch the online mode. Can’t they just state that the online component can’t be accessed in those countries?

So all games with any type of multiplayer functionality won’t be available in the 177 or whatever countries without PSN access?

Seems harsh to me. Some never even touch the online mode. Can’t they just state that the online component can’t be accessed in those countries?

They may also be coming out with their own PC storefront. Which presumably will only be available in PSN countries.

Hudo

Sony's main issue is communication or rather the lack thereof. It's as if this is the first time publishing a game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Wasn't people angry on Sony for the PSN backlash because the requirement would lock people out of certain region? And then they removed the requirement, but now they lock people out regardless if PSN is required or not? Am I wrong? And if I'm right, what the hell?

Fredrik

They may also be coming out with their own PC storefront. Which presumably will only be available in PSN countries.
That’s a lot of layers where people can fall off

1 > Having a capable enough gaming PC
2 >> Wanting to use a PS Storefront
3 >>> Interested in this type of game
4 >>>> Haven’t already played it on PS
5 >>>>> Living in a PSN country

But everybody does this, I just find it interesting right now when big corporations say they’re struggling to reach out to more gamers, then they shrink the group of potential customers with walls and boarders.

SenkiDala

That's so dumb... Just to push their shitty storefront they'll miss so many sales and most importantly so many gamers won't be able to play their games... Sony is dumb recently.

Wasn't people angry on Sony for the PSN backlash because the requirement would lock people out of certain region? And then they removed the requirement, but now they lock people out regardless if PSN is required or not? Am I wrong? And if I'm right, what the hell?
It's not that hard. GoT has a multiplayer part and to be able to access that you need a PSN account. So Sony pulled the game from preorder in regions where they can't create a PSN account. Otherwise these people would buy a game they can only partially use.

tmlDan

That's so dumb... Just to push their shitty storefront they'll miss so many sales and most importantly so many gamers won't be able to play their games... Sony is dumb recently.
most of those regions are not big, especially for Sony single player games. They likely have way more data than your insinuations and it doesn't make sense financially for them when they're trying to achieve something such as cross progression and cross save.

You do know most big publishers have restrictions and region locks have been a thing since the beginning of gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom