• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 Exclusive TV mode for certain games?

TV mode exclusive games for Switch 2?

• Yes - They could port PS5 and Xbox games with better performance.

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • No - I want to take all my games to the bathroom.

Votes: 40 88.9%

• Total voters

RCU005

The Nintendo Switch purpose is to be hybrid console so that you can switch from TV to Mobile seamlessly. It's confirmed that Nintendo will continue this concept, but I wonder:

Would you like certain games to be exclusive to TV mode?
Maybe this time the dock does have processing power to allow games to perform better, but the caveat would be that they could only be played on TV mode?

I could consider mobile-exclusive games, but they could only be limited to touch-only interfaces that would not work properly in TV mode.

Realistically, I don't think it will happen, since the Switch was extremely popular with all its strengths and weaknesses. However, it could also be something to be considered for a Pro version, perhaps?

What is your opinion in this matter?

Poll is hypothetical scenario about a dock that has internal computing stuff, etc.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
As someone who plays the Switch almost entirely in docked play, I still think every game should be able to be played in portable mode. That’s the entire point of the console.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
No that would be confusing to divide the software. Instead, make a Switch version that is a home console. It plays all the same software, but can play it better given that it won't have to worry about a screen. That way it doesn't change the work on the software end and every consumer can play every game. The Switch at home version will just play at better fps and res and be the same price as it will come with a pro controller rather than the whole tablet.

Ibara

I wish they’d have a better model on launch that was docked mode only. Either make it cheaper or more powerful cause I don’t want the iPad with it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I can't think of any situation for any game made today where the difference between docked and handheld would be some sort of deal breaker for getting a game to run.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No, if your going to do that, switch (haha) to two consoles, a powerfull home one and a seperate handheld. But, all games must launch on the sane day and license included for both. I actually think this model could work out nicely. (Now that handhelds and home consoles have very similar architecture and ports would be relatively easy)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The miniscule amount of people this serves isn't even close to worth the hassle.

If you wanna play beefy games on a console, buy a Playstation. Better yet, buy a PC and a Switch 2 and you're set.

LMAO Switch is a hybrid console, you play the same games handheld and docked. That's literally the whole point of the Switch

If you want a box tethered permanently to a TV, the PS5 is available for you to buy today

Shifty1897

Certain games that only work on the TV defeat the purpose of the Switch. There are two other modern consoles that will play games on the TV if you want that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I wish they’d have a better model on launch that was docked mode only. Either make it cheaper or more powerful cause I don’t want the iPad with it.
just use an RTX 4090 for the console

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why? You couldn't possibly get any out of docked only that couldn't be had in mobile mode.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
As someone who plays the Switch almost entirely in docked play, I still think every game should be able to be played in portable mode. That’s the entire point of the console.

I came here to say this exactly. I haven't played the Switch undocked ever. But the entire sell of the Switch was the ability to change from home console to portable/handheld console. If some games are docked-only, that would make the device itself a tougher sell as there is no guarantee that a game you're looking forward to would be playable on-the-go.

IAmRei

That might defeat whole switch purposes. As it is hybrid machine. Separation will create confusion. But again, everything can be true or false, as this is Nintendo we are talked, they often have surprises in their sleeves...

CS Lurker

Today we already have games that are basically exclusive to handheld or docked, but no because of processing power.

I didn't expect any processing hardware for graphics inside the dock in 2016, and it's not now that I'm gonna change my mind about this. I really can't see it happening. BUT... if it happened, would I like it?
My main way to play is in docked mode. If we are talking about games needing more processing power, then of course I'm gonna play on my big TV anyway (I never played the AAA Zeldas in handheld mode for example).
So for me it wouldn't change anything tbh. But, even then, I still wouldn't see it as a good choice from them.

LordOfChaos

Don't see them allowing it. Point of the Switch is to Switch. It's not so bad, if the Switch 1 is anything to go by which it probably is, the CPU stays the same, the GPU just down clocks and that's easier to scale with resolution, filtering, etc, so the same class of games are possible.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've never enjoyed using the Switch as a portable, nor have I bothered to do so since probably 2017. That said, the point of a hybrid console is for games to support both tv and portable play, so... games should do that. I guess the exception I'd be fine with is for games that, for whatever reason, can run fine when docked but don't have the horsepower they need in portable mode, leading the developer to compromise the whole package to make it work properly. But that's a pretty far reach.

StereoVsn

I mostly use mine as portable, but kids use the hybrid function all the time. It would be a really dumb idea if certain games were exclusive to TV mode.

It would be asking for customer confusion, being ripped apart by reviewers, and all kinds of shit storm in social media.

Top Bottom