• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch profits higher then rest of nintendos whole history COMBINED

daclynk

Nintendo right now. while the industry is BLEEDING.
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That’s pretty wild, but I guess it’s not that surprising. The Switch is awesome. I wonder if it’ll end up overtaking the PS2 in sales.

This seems irrelevant without adjusting for inflation, but he did another graph with that information. Apparently. (Does not take into account that yen has been dropping against the dollar for years or that Japan has had no inflation for decades.)

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Makes sense, even if Nintendo has become niche in a sense. The Wii was a declaration of separation from the console wars in my opinion. The same way a burger joint and an ice cream parlor might *sort of* compete with each other in so far as both serve food in exchange for money, but really - pretty distinct from one another.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They essentially just merged their home console line up with their handhelds (3DS).
I guess that was a smart move given the results, but still, I think it's a pity since we've lost so much along the way. The Mario & Luigi's, the 2D Zeldas, the Etrian Odysseys, etc.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Must be a mistake. Gaf told me that by merging their handheld and home console into a single device, Nintendo killed a huge portion of their business and were more successful with the Wii+DS.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Etrian Odysseys

:messenger_loudly_crying: Playing them in Switch is not terrible but the experience of using the stylus to draw the map completed the deal back then.

Using Japanese inflation rates, sure, except the inflation rates around the world are different, the UK for example, £100 in 1981 is £480 now.
And the current exchange rate is basically half of what it used to be 20 years ago. But they are a Japanese company so they use Japanese inflation rate.

Last edited:

midnightAI

:messenger_loudly_crying: Playing them in Switch is not terrible but the experience of using the stylus to draw the map completed the deal back then.

And the current exchange rate is basically half of what it used to be 20 years ago. But they are a Japanese company so they use Japanese inflation rate.
Sure, but their sales are international, like I said, not quite as simple as just using the Japanese inflation rate.

Of course getting that accurate figure would be a nightmare, you'd have to look at each year individually, look at every single country that had sales and then look at the inflation rate for that year for each country and then look at the exchange rates that year to convert everything to inflation adjusted yen.

Last edited:

Holammer

Using Japanese inflation rates, sure, except the inflation rates around the world are different, the UK for example, £100 in 1981 is £480 now.

It's nowhere near as simple as he's making it out to be.

And like I said, it's still impressive
Yes, Japan does its best to keep the Yen stable at the same value since the bubble burst.
Occasionally you come across articles of companies apologizing for increasing prices of candy & Ice Cream. The Umaibō snack had the same 10 yen price for 40 years and increased it to 12 in 2022.

ReyBrujo

Both Labyrinth of Refrain and Labyrinth of Galleria by NIS are pretty damn good dungeon crawlers this gen. Atlus was awesome though on both DS and 3DS.
I finished the last apprentice request from Refrain yesterday, already finished the post game and beat the Black Wanderer. Even though I played Galleria first so I found a few nuisances with Refrain it was a very enjoyable game. Huge step forward when compared to Etrian but still want to play new entries in Etrian.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Both Labyrinth of Refrain and Labyrinth of Galleria by NIS are pretty damn good dungeon crawlers this gen. Atlus was awesome though on both DS and 3DS.
Should give them a go, I even have them wishlisted on Steam.

Thing is, don't you have to manage a party of like 16 people in those games? Sounds like a bit too much for me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

OuterLimits

Should give them a go, I even have them wishlisted on Steam.

Thing is, don't you have to manage a party of like 16 people in those games? Sounds like a bit too much for me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah, I was concerned about that as well before playing, lol. However, it is a rather slow process to get to the point where you are using 10+ characters in attack and support roles. By then, it doesn't seem overwhelming. Plus both games have enjoyable stories in my opinion which isn't often the case in that genre.

Woopah

I know they are helped a lot by the FX rates, but it's still pretty crazy to me that their profits actually went up in Switch's 7th year.

Kilau

Gold Member
I thought 2013 was a big loss for Nintendo, hence all the "year of Luigi" memes, but this shows it was a small profit year and 2014 lost a little?

Top Bottom