• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Sara B just say COD will be on GP?

Sara Bond stopped short of saying that the next COD will launch directly into gamepass because...

1. Perhaps those marketing rights that Sony had in place are STILL not up

2. They are simply waiting to announce it at the showcase. This is their huge pop (one of many).

Sara did say that all the first party games are launching into Gamepass so that is actually confirmation, but there is obviously some reason why she won't name COD specifically.

It's funny to me that half of GAF is acting like they think there is some chance that it won't launch into game pass. I mean I kind of get it. Gamepass is already such a ridiculously good value it's almost unbelievable that we can get everything we are getting this year for $17 a month on top of what we already have. Honestly, I feel blessed. We will never see a value like this again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

rm082e

They can change their minds at any minute, and they won't let on that they're mulling it over. They'll always give you confident PR corporate speak with whatever message they are putting out, even if it's two messages 3 hours apart that say opposite things.

reinking

Gold Member
Sara Bond stopped short of saying that the next COD will launch directly into gamepass because...

2. They are simply waiting to announce it at the showcase. This is their huge pop (one of many).

Sara did say that all the first party games are launching into Gamepass so that is actually confirmation, but there is obviously some reason why she won't name COD specifically.

It's funny to me that half of GAF is acting like they think there is some chance that it won't launch into game pass. I mean I kind of get it.
Gamepass is already such a ridiculously good value it's almost unbelievable that we can get everything we are getting this year for $17 a month on top of what we already have. Honestly, I feel blessed. We will never see a value like this again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Scared Breaking Bad GIF by davidsaracino

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The hand placement in this picture provides a ridiculous amount of insight into the state of the management team (at least to me in my "joy is dead" brain).

P3 must have the an awful time navigating the quagmire of bullshit his department has become. No wonder he cannot focus on running a business when he has to spend some much headspace/cycles on today's social Ps & Qs.

Or...maybe he just doesn't want cooties.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I mean I kind of get it. Gamepass is already such a ridiculously good value it's almost unbelievable that we can get everything we are getting this year for $17 a month on top of what we already have. Honestly, I feel blessed. We will never see a value like this again.
im horny jack nicholson GIF

The hand placement in this picture provides a ridiculous amount of insight into the state of the management team (at least to me in my "joy is dead" brain).

P3 must have the an awful time navigating the quagmire of bullshit his department has become. No wonder he cannot focus on running a business when he has to spend some much headspace/cycles on today's social Ps & Qs.

Or...maybe he just doesn't want cooties.
Just wait until you find out where his left hand was

King Dazzar

It's funny to me that half of GAF is acting like they think there is some chance that it won't launch into game pass. I mean I kind of get it. Gamepass is already such a ridiculously good value it's almost unbelievable that we can get everything we are getting this year for $17 a month on top of what we already have. Honestly, I feel blessed. We will never see a value like this again. Enjoy it while it lasts.
If they're being savvy. You'd think they either ramp up GPU top tier pricing before hand and include it only in that top tier. Or, they release a bare bones version with a heavy handed push towards battlepasses/micro transactions etc. Either way I cant imagine they're not heavily scrutinising the financials around it all.

They could always perk it too. For example, you still have to buy CoD, but if you have GP, then you get free skins and early access...

Nydius

It's funny to me that half of GAF is acting like they think there is some chance that it won't launch into game pass.

It's funny because... we understand finance?

Putting COD on Game Pass absolutely undermines the entire profitability of the franchise -- aka one of the reasons Microsoft gobbled up ABK in the first place. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that hypothetically 18 million or so people who have Game Pass are also COD players. Instead of buying COD, they'll just get it "free" on Game Pass without spending a dollar more than what they've already paid. 18 million potentially lost sales at $70 a pop. That's 1.26 BILLION in lost sales. More than Game Pass earns Microsoft in a quarter.

The number of people who will buy it on PlayStation platforms remains roughly the same. The number of people who will buy it on Xbox platforms will significantly decrease. You really believe COD alone is going to drive enough new Game Pass subscriptions to cover the loss?

As to your primary topic question, the reason she didn't come right out and say it can be answered in two words:
Plausible deniability.

Last edited:

Three

Putting COD on Game Pass absolutely undermines the entire profitability of the franchise -- aka one of the reasons Microsoft gobbled up ABK in the first place. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that hypothetically 18 million or so people who have Game Pass are also COD players. Instead of buying COD, they'll just get it "free" on Game Pass without spending a dollar more than what they've already paid. 18 million potentially lost sales at $70 a pop. That's 1.26 BILLION in lost sales. More than Game Pass earns Microsoft in a quarter.

The number of people who will buy it on PlayStation platforms remains roughly the same. The number of people who will buy it on Xbox platforms will significantly decrease. You really believe COD alone is going to drive enough new Game Pass subscriptions to cover the loss?

As to your primary topic question, the reason she didn't come right out and say it can be answered in two words:
Plausible deniability.
Honestly, it will probably come to gamepass and be riddled with more expensive mtx as normal. They might even introduce a more costly tier that includes a season pass. She just wants the attention in June and people talking about it until then. That's why she didn't say it explicitly.

Plausible deniability.
I'm just saying they are putting that shit on gamepass day one. Maybe you're right and it's a terrible idea but they're doin it lol

Kssio_Aug

Because it would do more harm than good. She clearly stated that every first party will still be going to GP, and that's all that needs to be said right now about it.

And even if she said it, people would still be saying "Ohh, but they lied before, so I don't trust her!". It's a game she can't win.

Now, if that's gonna be good or bad for CoD and Xbox, it's another matter. Maybe that's why they're apparently planning new GP subscription tiers.

simple my friend. Xbox is bleeding money each month and GP is a big factor for that.
Once they do the math on Chat GPT there is only one scenario possible

Kill Game Pass.

and you can take that to the bank
dVS55OU.gif

Her interview wasn’t to make breaking news. Hence no official announcement

Beechos

Because this is what all execs do. They all say things in a non commital way and always spin things in a positive light.

It's good value for YOU.
Value is always subjective.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
again funny guy.

if you use Logic 101...2016 Strategy + Current State of Xbox + Financial pressures + GP´s requirements to be viable = Game pass doesn't make any sense.

This is just word salad, you don’t know what any of this means and even if you did, you don’t have a clue what any of the numbers are.

Logic 101 😆😆

They are already doing funny things with Core and pay to play early.

I see some of you perpetual doomsday posters throwing out this “pay to play early” stuff and just right now you said it in a way that implies it’s some new strategy or a reaction to numbers. Xbox has done the whole “gold edition = a few days early” stuff before GamePass and all throughout GamePass. No one really cared or noticed until Starfield but it’s not something new. Hell, State of Decay 2 all the way back in 2018 was one of the first day one titles on GamePass and I bought the Ultimate Edition which allowed 4-5 days of early play or something. It’s not new and outside of Nintendo, virtually every publisher does it.

And what’s funny about Xbox Core? Is it also funny when Nintendo makes changes to their online service, or when Sony makes three tiers to their service? All of these sub services make changes to provide better experiences and get more money from you.

Per usual, you’re trying to play chess when the game is Candy Land. It’s not difficult stuff, but I love watching you guys twist yourselves like pretzels with all this nonsense.

Not going to bother responding to you again here, but please keep it up 😆

Last edited:
This is just word salad, you don’t know what any of this means and even if you did, you don’t have a clue what any of the numbers are.

Logic 101 😆😆

I see some of you perpetual doomsday posters throwing out this “pay to play early” stuff and just right now you said it in a way that implies it’s some new strategy or a reaction to numbers. Xbox has done the whole “gold edition = a few days early” stuff before GamePass and all throughout GamePass. No one really cared or noticed until Starfield but it’s not something new. Hell, State of Decay 2 all the way back in 2018 was one of the first day one titles on GamePass and I bought the Ultimate Edition which allowed 4-5 days of early play or something. It’s not new and outside of Nintendo, virtually every publisher does it.

And what’s funny about Xbox Core? Is it also funny when Nintendo makes changes to their online service, or when Sony makes three tiers to their service? All of these sub services make changes to provide better experiences and get more money from you.

Per usual, you’re trying to play chess when the game is Candy Land. It’s not difficult stuff, but I love watching you guys twist yourselves like pretzels with all this nonsense.

Not going to bother responding to you again here, but please keep it up 😆😆
at least I'm basing my opinions on reasoning and not on the empty promises from executives and the logic used by shills, and of course, at this point, I expect pro Game Pass/Xbox people not to respond or debate because they have been destroyed like my waifus in my favorites hentai 😆😆😆😆.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll

Plausible deniability.
Yeah, but CoD is an online game, right? So in order to recuperate the 70$ price you need people to pay gamepass for 4 months. They see the metrics, if people play the game for more than that, then it's net profit for them.

Mephisto40

I think the more likely scenario with this is that they'll make the online part of gamepass, and then charge you £30 extra if you want to play the campaign

Top Bottom