• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Microsoft Going Balls Deep on Gamepass do we think its coming to other systems?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
With the recent news from XBOX president Sarah Bonds that all future XBOX titles will be day one and date with Gamepass Subscribers (which I believe is a mistake) and their seemingly shift in direction for the once proud XBOX gaming flagship Division along with with the recent news of Playstation modifying their backend in anticipation of more XBOX Games on their platform if there isn't maybe a plan to bring Gamepass titles to Sony and Possible Switch 2 Platforms ASAP. Microsoft is betting everything on GAMEPASS growth and there isn't any way to do that outside adding it to other consoles IMHO.

I know there is the "Fees" that platform holders Sony / Nintendo etc get for each sale but maybe they worked out a deal that shows Sony and Nintendo that by supporting our Gamepass service you will get a smaller than 30% cut but thats offset by new users buying playstation and growing your install bases. Also this talk of price increases for Gamepass might be to offset the cost differences for these service fees. Sony / Microsoft etc don't care about the lost revenue the vendors take, because they get their cut and Microsoft is paying the Game Developers for their titles to be included for x timeframe on their service.

I really think this is the end game, and it's Microsoft last chance to stay relevant in gaming as a service model. It works for The Platform holders as well as they would not lose out on commission from sales because they would make that from Gamepass Sales / User retention / and new users to their install base. Developers would get a known value for the product for X months and than they can continue to sell it outside their subscription services as well.

I think the real question is what are Microsoft willing to take as a LOSS to grow Gamepass to get it going and "hook" users into the system. would Sony / Nintendo accept 20% fees instead of 30% for this?

Maybe Microsoft will also add a new tier to their Gamepass or two tiers one with ADS for a cheap 9.99 a month download / streaming 1080p option and or a Pro level 19.99 / 24.99 a month for definitive versions(all DLC included) and 4K streaming from the cloud.

This is the only way I see them surviving the mess they created. I am not saying they won't make new hardware because I believe they will release two new hardware solutions in the future. A 1080p Handheld and a robust Console that will be hybrid XBOX gaming PC device locked down.

This isn't a shit on XBOX but more of a XBOX has to evolve and I commend them if they take this route as it will expand gaming and Gamepass which I feel is a great deal current and should be available to other platforms.

These are just my thoughts and wondering what other options / opinions on the topic you see happening.

Red5

Of course that's the end goal of GamePass, for MS to be the Netflix of games, it has to be on every piece of hardware that can run the games or stream them. They'll have a tough time convincing Sony and Nintendo to allow that, that's why they're also going to release their own mobile Xbox store on mobile following the EU decision to force third party stores on mobile devices and tablets.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just don’t see Nintendo or Sony ever playing ball and allowing it on their platforms. But with all the new EU regulations, who knows, maybe they’ll eventually be forced to.

Denorion

Neo Member
Neither Nintendo nor Sony will ever allow the current version of gamepass on their consoles
Only way I can see it happening on Playstation is GP having a neutered version that only includes Microsoft published games (something similar to EA play or Ubisoft+, which are available on psn)

Saber

No. They wouldn't allow a subscription from a competidor interfere with their own subscription services. This is some fanboy wetdream.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
typography font GIF

Also, no way would Sony allow GamePass in their ecosystem without massive consolations.

BlackTron

Couldn't finish reading the whole OP. There's no way. As has been said already, only if it's completely changed and remains only Gamepass in name. The core idea of it is anathema to Sony and Nintendo.

Fabieter

It will kill the last benefit of consoles the pricing of the hardware. So yea if the eu will glady kill it altogether to serve a 3t company than yea i wouldn't be shocked tho.

Gojiira

Banned
With the recent news from XBOX president Sarah Bonds that all future XBOX titles will be day one and date with Gamepass Subscribers (which I believe is a mistake) and their seemingly shift in direction for the once proud XBOX gaming flagship Division along with with the recent news of Playstation modifying their backend in anticipation of more XBOX Games on their platform if there isn't maybe a plan to bring Gamepass titles to Sony and Possible Switch 2 Platforms ASAP. Microsoft is betting everything on GAMEPASS growth and there isn't any way to do that outside adding it to other consoles IMHO.

I know there is the "Fees" that platform holders Sony / Nintendo etc get for each sale but maybe they worked out a deal that shows Sony and Nintendo that by supporting our Gamepass service you will get a smaller than 30% cut but thats offset by new users buying playstation and growing your install bases. Also this talk of price increases for Gamepass might be to offset the cost differences for these service fees. Sony / Microsoft etc don't care about the lost revenue the vendors take, because they get their cut and Microsoft is paying the Game Developers for their titles to be included for x timeframe on their service.

I really think this is the end game, and it's Microsoft last chance to stay relevant in gaming as a service model. It works for The Platform holders as well as they would not lose out on commission from sales because they would make that from Gamepass Sales / User retention / and new users to their install base. Developers would get a known value for the product for X months and than they can continue to sell it outside their subscription services as well.

I think the real question is what are Microsoft willing to take as a LOSS to grow Gamepass to get it going and "hook" users into the system. would Sony / Nintendo accept 20% fees instead of 30% for this?

Maybe Microsoft will also add a new tier to their Gamepass or two tiers one with ADS for a cheap 9.99 a month download / streaming 1080p option and or a Pro level 19.99 / 24.99 a month for definitive versions(all DLC included) and 4K streaming from the cloud.

This is the only way I see them surviving the mess they created. I am not saying they won't make new hardware because I believe they will release two new hardware solutions in the future. A 1080p Handheld and a robust Console that will be hybrid XBOX gaming PC device locked down.

This isn't a shit on XBOX but more of a XBOX has to evolve and I commend them if they take this route as it will expand gaming and Gamepass which I feel is a great deal current and should be available to other platforms.

These are just my thoughts and wondering what other options / opinions on the topic you see happening.
Lol why should PS and NS accept less than 30% is the real question..Like literally why would they? They hold the upper hand.
Simply put theres no amount of money Sony or Nintendo could make from GP subs that would actually offset the loss in revenue from it cannibalising sales, there just isnt. Literally 30% of 3 million subs playing say Starfield on a £15 tier or whatever is nowhere close to 30% of 3 million PURCHASES at £60-70. Theres literally no way around this. Now apply this to a third party game that is launching day one on Gamepass and full price on PSN or NS and its simply a huge loss of revenue.
The only way GP is coming to NS or PSN is in a stripped down version that only offers first party Xbox games then sure I could see that being added. With a lower price point given the limited library. But yeah otherwise GP would literally cannibalise sales on multiple platforms.

diffusionx

Gold Member
MS would love to have a GamePass on PlayStation, with their own games. But they need to port all their games, and Sony will not allow it as long as there are Xbox consoles.

No. It will never appear on another console/eco. The industry is keenly aware of how it obliterates user's purchasing habits in ecosystems where its allowed.
I know it is easy to forget but Sony does have a competing service on their platform.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The only way I could see Sony allowing this is if it’s only MS owned games AND subs originate through PSN for 30% cut of the sub cost.

Otherwise what is the incentive for Sony?

mdkirby

No third party studio would support this. Xbox’s sweetheart deals for securing gamespass deals is already a thing of the past, they are paying less than they used to. Studios already know it’s hurting their sales. Xbox is by a fair whack the smaller market for third party game sales, so at least when a studio releases on PlayStation after, they can make some decent sales after it’s been free on gamespass. If it also released “for free” on PlayStation and Nintendo they’d be truly fucked, and there’s zero chance xbox would increase the amount they pay out to offset those lost sales. Studios just simply wouldn’t be able to recoup dev costs.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
It makes no sense to have GamePass on PlayStation. Why would Sony cannibalize sales through PSN so Microsoft could have access to their users?

Lions Gate

Banned
This shit topic again, Sony have thier own subscription services which is bigger and more profitable than GP, No way they ever allow competition on their own platform

Last edited:

laynelane

No, due to its detrimental effects (most prominent being the cannibalization of game sales) which have been well-documented at this point.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
With some of the overlap between Plus and Game Pass...it would more likely be Xbox exclusive games vs the entire Game Pass. That includes AB and Bethesda.

How would it look having MLB The Show day one on Game Pass on PlayStation?

MS would love to have a GamePass on PlayStation, with their own games. But they need to port all their games, and Sony will not allow it as long as there are Xbox consoles.

I know it is easy to forget but Sony does have a competing service on their platform.
That Sony treats like a traditional subscription service. MS were the idiots that wanted to have a unique selling point of all exclusives day one, some major 3rd party games day one, etc.

AFAIK Sony never had a major 3rd party game launch on Plus. Indies, sure. Not sure what to think about Foamstars, lol.

Meanwhile I just saw a commercial for Dune 2 coming to Max soon. Thats about 2 months. And yet ppl still try to dismiss movie streaming services walking back day one.

Also, lets not forget Sony did finally allow EA Access/Play, and Ubi's bigger service will be coming in the future. So anything's possible. MS would probably have to completely exit the console business tho.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not on consoles.

Sony wants the same end game but is taking a different path.

Nintendo will just eventually migrate to their own app for their own games.

But game pass will be on ios and android for sure. Which if done right could be big for them. But they won't do it right. 🤣

Last edited:

Quasicat

I don’t think they need to have it on Sony or Nintendo systems, but I do see it necessary for them to get it on as many smart TVs as possible. Apple TV and android would be something that would cover many TVs, but they almost need to get it on the Roku and LG OS systems also. I think if they can get Game Pass streaming on TVs, and bypass the consoles completely, then the gaming division will reach their goal of being on every screen.

MayauMiao

GP already hurt sales of games, why would dev want to put up paying extra fees to MS on top of Sony/Nintendo fees?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamepass is sprinting towards consumers time and wallets, remember it was Xbox live which was a great service now game pass gives people the opportunity to essentially rent games.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

What Sara, Phil and Co. Say dosent count for shit anymore ...for quite some time in fact..... and I dont know what else they have to do before people just start ignoring what they say completely. Or just bet in the opposite.. In fact is pretty much a safe bet to bet in the opposite thing happening... so Sara said Day One for all ? ... you best bet is that they will soon drop Day one games at some capacity. Or lock them up behind a new gamepass tier with a big paywall. Since is basically the same thing.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This shit topic again, Sony have thier own subscription services which is bigger and more profitable than GP, No way they ever allow competition on their own platform

Ummmm......ea play and ubisoft+ say hello.

I think it could work for ms to do this, but only once they have enough games ported to ps5.
Although unlocking existing multiplatform titles from Activision would be a healthy start......

Sony would for sure consider this if ms was fully multiplatform, they like 30% of gamepass revenue.......

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Lol why should PS and NS accept less than 30% is the real question..Like literally why would they? They hold the upper hand.
Simply put theres no amount of money Sony or Nintendo could make from GP subs that would actually offset the loss in revenue from it cannibalising sales, there just isnt. Literally 30% of 3 million subs playing say Starfield on a £15 tier or whatever is nowhere close to 30% of 3 million PURCHASES at £60-70. Theres literally no way around this. Now apply this to a third party game that is launching day one on Gamepass and full price on PSN or NS and its simply a huge loss of revenue.
The only way GP is coming to NS or PSN is in a stripped down version that only offers first party Xbox games then sure I could see that being added. With a lower price point given the limited library. But yeah otherwise GP would literally cannibalise sales on multiple platforms.
Understood but maybe one of them decides that to take over the other they need those Xbox published games. Who does it hurt more Sony or Nintendo if the other platform does a deal with Xbox?

Mario / Zelda / Halo / cod / Skyrim and more on Nintendo via a gamepass would really have some people shifting console allegiance imho.

Robb

Gold Member
That’s definitely what MS want, but I can’t see Sony/Nintendo going along with it as long as they’re as successful as they are.

Ashamam

Sony would for sure consider this if ms was fully multiplatform, they like 30% of gamepass revenue.......
Would be great for me. Only have to buy one platform, and just alternate between subs to play everything. Whats not to like! Which is why I think the model won't work.

THE DUCK

Would be great for me. Only have to buy one platform, and just alternate between subs to play everything. Whats not to like! Which is why I think the model won't work.

Well it's all about the cash flow, so as long as everyone is making money who knows. The sub models work in volume, while it may save money for people like you who game a lot, they get people who don't spend as much to pay regularly.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
its not going to be available on playstation at least, Sony must be freaking stupid if they allow that since subscription service kills off game purchase, which is one of playstation main revenue.

Killjoy-NL

So, let's assume Sony and Nintendo would even allow it:

How would it work?

Only Xbox games? Then GP will be a dead platform and/or losing quite an amount of money.

GP as it is, incl 3rd party? Would be a financial disaster for MS, as the cost it would require MS to compensate for the potential loss of revenue for Playstation sales is going to be insane.

It wouldn't make any sense, either way.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

its not going to be available on playstation at least, Sony must be freaking stupid if they allow that since subscription service kills off game purchase, which is one of playstation main revenue.

So why do they allow 2 already (ea play and ubisoft+) ?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So why do they allow 2 already (ea play and ubisoft+) ?
limited amount of games, nobody gives a shit, , how often do you hear "im going to subscribe to ea play/ubisoft?"
Gmaepass on the other hand, is more popular and has more games compared to eaplay and ubisoft.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

It's not like the other platform holders would let you play native versions of the game because you have a Gamepass sub lol. It can only come to other systems in the form of streaming and that's if the other platform holders allow the streaming app on their stores. Nintendo might because they don't have their own game streaming service but I heavily doubt Sony would allow it.

The Shepard

The only way I can see it happening is if they release a gamepass mini service with just Microsoft games on there and no third party games.

And This will only happen if they didn't see Microsoft as a rival, so would have to exit the console buisness also.

Top Bottom