• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

Maybe my previous post came off that way but I'm not trying to completely discount it.

I still think Leo, Denzel, Cruise, The Rock, and others have a certain pull. They can drop a dud but they can also help boost a film.

Ok, then we're in agreement. To me you have Brand name actors and Brand name actors that are also box office draws. You can put together an ensemble of Brand name actors together in a film that wouldn't be box office draws individually but combined they do, if that makes sense.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do you guys think pirates franchise is over or it has another movie in it?

They'll do more. Bigger roles for Knightley and Bloom so they can woo OG Pirates fans back into the theater.

I think Pirates and Transformers need some serious introspection before they write Pg1 of their next scripts. There is obviously audience apathy going on with both, so whatever formulas they were selling needs to change.

I thought that the Mummy confirmed that he was a young man.
pAfXU.jpg

61080e00e93568c432e2b2ef4123caf8.jpg

J_Viper

Watched a whole five minutes of The Mummy and it seemed alright

Had to stop because the video quality was terrible, but I'll check out the rest of it when I can rent the 4k version

Buckle

Apes not doing so well at the box office doesn't bother me.

Trilogy got made, it was amazing and will go down in history as classics. Good enough for me.

kswiston

Tom Cruise's face is just an image he wears so that he doesnt frighten humans.

I mean, Kurt Russell just finished playing him in a biopic this summer, so you guys should know this.

Toa TAK

Banned
Tom Cruise's face is just an image he wears so that he doesnt frighten humans.

I mean, Kurt Russell just finished playing him in a biopic this summer, so you guys should know this.
Jesus
It can't be that bad!

I need to watch it to complete my Master Contrarian viewing list, also featuring of Ghost in the Shell, King Arthur, and now Dark Tower
Why do you hate life?

It IS that bad.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It can't be that bad!

I need to watch it to complete my Master Contrarian viewing list, also featuring of Ghost in the Shell, King Arthur, and now Dark Tower

If The Mummy settled on a tone and didn't spend so much of its runtime on THE DARK UNIVERSE, it would alright.

King Arthur had a 2 min montage of Arthur growing up that I liked. The rest is dreck. And you can tell the whole thing was his vision, his writing style is all over it. I'm legit worried about Aladdin.

Boke1879

It aint hard to believe Cyborg and Flash working together.

Also Ezra and Ray seem to really enjoy each other's company. Some of that could translate well on film.

J_Viper

Jesus

Why do you hate life?

It IS that bad.

Lol I just need to know

If The Mummy settled on a tone and didn't spend so much of its runtime on THE DARK UNIVERSE, it would alright.

King Arthur had a 2 min montage of Arthur growing up that I liked. The rest is dreck. And you can tell the whole thing was his vision, his writing style is all over it. I'm legit worried about Aladdin.

I saw a gif of what appears to be Arthur activating his Ultimate and it looked straight out of Dynasty Warriors

It was then when I knew I had to watch it

Really though, I'm surprised Disney hasn't fired Ritchie yet. But then again, they let the guy who directed Cowboys & Aliens and Iron Man 2 direct Jungle Book, and that seemed to go well for them.

Grizzlyjin

It aint hard to believe Cyborg and Flash working together.

Also Ezra and Ray seem to really enjoy each other's company. Some of that could translate well on film.

Yeah, I understood the logic behind doing a Flash/Cyborg buddy movie. They both need characterization and they're around the same age.

I feel bad for Ray Fisher. He's not gonna get much of a boost from this huge ass movie he's in.

kswiston

Really though, I'm surprised Disney hasn't fired Ritchie yet. But then again, they let the guy who directed Cowboys & Aliens and Iron Man 2 direct Jungle Book, and that seemed to go well for them.

Guy Ritchie has two films over $50M domestic and both of them are Sherlock Holmes. So the only reason that Ritchie has any films over $50M domestic is because Favreau made RDJ a superstar.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Good for Sony. Emoji movie was pure shit but it paid off.

Did it though? It took two weeks for it, a kids animated movie, to hit its $50m budget (and technically hasn't hit it yet). And it will surely be falling off fairly quickly after this weekend.

There was also an enormous amount of marketing put into the movie as well.

I would think there's not going to be too much profit made off of it, if any, in the end. Which hurts even more given The Dark Tower tanking.

It can't be that bad!

Don't forget Alien: Covenant and Life.

*blow dart*

original

The movie I don't care about, but those interviews were LIFE. (yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Puns, baby, puns!)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Do you guys think pirates franchise is over or it has another movie in it?

Pirates 5 did very well so I think we'll see one more to perhaps end the series. Bringing back the original cast in a full role would definitely peak interest, as well as seeing (spoiler for end of Pirates 5)
Davy Jones
again.

My grand hope is that Gore Verbinski comes back to direct one final Pirates. As much as I enjoyed the newest one, his impact on the original trilogy has yet to be matched in the following sequels.

kswiston

What Disney wants more than anything is for Verbinski to come back and push the budget of Pirates 6 back over $400M. Pirates 5 failed to do its job of being a big flop to offset some of Disney's wins this year. Now Disney will be stuck with a completely successful slate, without a Through the Looking Glass or Tomorrowland in sight. $230M was too cheap.

Kin5290

Agree. Early august was a very curious time to release Detroit.
It went into previews 50 years after the actual riots, apparently. Maybe releasing for that anniversary was a bad idea.

Disappointing to see Detroit do so poorly, but I guess that was to be expected with the movie getting heat from multiple directions. Hopefully Katheryn Bigelow lands on her feet, because she's way too talented.

Grizzlyjin

2018 has so many damn flop options for Disney though

Their 2018 offerings do look a little weaker than usual. I have faith in Ron Howard, but who knows what's going on with Han Solo. Feels like fans and critics have their knives out and ready. And I could totally see Nutcracker being ignored.

A new Pirates movie needs a likable Jack Sparrow again. Pirates 5 was a decent movie, but Jack nearly ruined it with his completely over the top scenes. Jack has always been over the top, but Pirates 5 took it to an annoying level. He literally had zero serious scenes in the whole movie, except for a briiiief moment when
the goat character of the franchise dies.

I don't need, or want, Jack to be some serious character, but the first 3 movies balanced it out way better than these newest 2 have.

Top Bottom