• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I had a 113% flyer today, overshot the green into the water.

It placed me back where I started, so lowered the power very slightly, but got a 68% power on the ball, plopped into the water my side of the green :(

I mentioned it before, but to cancel out the flyer, you HAVE to get Perfect Impact. The only other way to cancel it out is to aim somewhere else, and wait for the arrow to change color.

CSSer

And I've read people saying that the Crown requirements are in the game on the challenge menu, well I can't see anything.

I have the website with the guide in my favourites, but where in game? a screen grab would be nice.

Here are screen grabs of each challenge event. The crown conditions are yellow in my images, because I've completed them. I guess it's easy to not notice the crown conditions.

Beginner
1-1
1-2
1-3
1-4
1-5
1-VS
1-VS2

Amateur
2-1
2-2
2-3
2-4
2-5
2-VS
2-VS2

Pro
3-1
3-2
3-3
3-4
3-5
3-VS
3-VS2

Bronze
4-1
4-2
4-3
4-4
4-5
4-VS
4-VS2

Silver
5-1
5-2
5-3
5-4
5-5
5-VS
5-VS2

Gold
6-1
6-2
6-3
6-4
6-5
6-VS
6-VS2

Platinum
7-VS
7-VS2

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so I just confirmed the arrow is always yellow, so it being that color doesnt mean you have a flyer. Still trying to figure out what it means when the arrow turns blue though.

And just a little more info about what a flyer is: its a real world golf term, and it usually occurs because you're in the rough. Sometimes, you might get grass or dirt caught between the ball and the club, and this increases the amount of time your club is in contact with the ball, thus sending your ball further than usual.

Here are screen grabs of each challenge event. The crown conditions are yellow in my images, because I've completed them. I guess it's easy to not notice the crown conditions.

Thanks for the effort in doing that, but it only tells you what you need to do, after you've done it.

I have 3 crowns so far, just by luck without trying for it.

laika09

The crown info didn't show up until I beat 6-VS and the credits rolled.

Also, you can tell if it's a flyer by looking in the bottom-right corner of the screen after you take the shot. It's usually pretty obvious, though, when your ball goes sailing over the green and into a bunker. The same spot will flash before you take your shot if there's a potential for a flyer.'

Flyers, homing shots, perfect impact, and on and on.

SO CONFUSED. :(

This game is insanely deep and virtually nothing is explained for you. It's kinda fun just figuring stuff out as I go along, and getting better along the way.

CSSer

Oh, I didn't realize they showed up after you beat gold rank. I didn't bother trying for them until after I beat Izzak.

So I just, for the first time, messed around with camera angles pre-shot.

The camera where you point your Vita to look, down at the ball for example, is SWEET. After the shot, look up to watch your shot go - I may use that only a handful more times, but it's pretty rad.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Still wasnt able to participate in any Gaf tournament. Any coming up?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
when you have a friend in lobby their dot doesn't show up as a diff color? i thought hsg did this before but maybe not
Edit: nm shows up yellow but if there are a lot of people it gets covered up by the blue dots

everyone should try to add everyone else who plays in tourneys so we can find each other. add me if you play online at all: astrolad

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Flyers, homing shots, perfect impact, and on and on.

SO CONFUSED. :(

Perfect impact is exactly what it sounds like. It's your third button press (first to begin the swing, second to set the power, third to set the impact or accuracy of your swing) and you have to get it perfectly on the line (if using gauge).

To do the rising/homing shots... these require hitting the pin with some type of super spin, which itself requires perfect impact.

To do super spin, you hold the dpad in one direction when you set the power, and then in the opposite direction when you set the impact.

So for example, to do super backspin... you would hold up on the dpad when setting the power, and then down on the dpad when setting the impact (third press). And for it to register, you have to have perfect impact. And for that to turn into a rising/homing shot, you'll have to hit the pin.

lol... a lot has to go in your favor. Also, in order to do rising/homing shots, you have to have enough loyalty with your character.

haha

Yuripaw

Banned
How does getting crowns work exactly? I didn't even know about them until I randomly got one on 4-2. It was for getting on the fairway 80% and of the time, and winning. Is the rule f or getting the crown the same every challenge, or is it different? How do I figure out what the crown is for each challenge, cuz I wanna complete these, but I am not understanding how it works.

After getting the crown in 4-2, I've been going back to earlier challenges trying to earn some in the 1-# series, but I haven't, even though I'm always getting on fairways, and real good scores.

krae_man

Anyone else having issues with trophies popping? Made a 50 ft putt and hit a drive for 351 yards, got neither trophy.

You didn't do them in official rounds. Rounds with conditions like unlimited power shot and Mega cup etc do not count.

3 more crowns to go. Man I messed up good on today's dailies. Back out of the top ten for me.

demolitio

I might have to go through each page on here, but does anyone have a good guide to this game for someone who is new to HS? I played plenty of other golf games like this but this has a lot of intricate details that aren't really explained.

How do I do a big draw or fade exactly? Is it just holding left or right on the dpad during the swing?

ANY tips would be helpful. Also, feel free to add "Demolitio" on PSN as I plan on playing online a lot once I get this down. Thanks.

padlock

Is there some trick for getting spins to occur consistently? Not the super spins, just the regular ones.

It seems like I only get back spins about 25% of the time that I try them. When exactly are you supposed to push down on the d-pad? Is it for the whole swing, or just before the last button press?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there some trick for getting spins to occur consistently? Not the super spins, just the regular ones.

It seems like I only get back spins about 25% of the time that I try them. When exactly are you supposed to push down on the d-pad? Is it for the whole swing, or just before the last button press?

The basic spin is just holding it during the last impact yes. But there are a lot of variables like your player's ability, club & ball chosen, and ball position that will affect how much spin you get. You can see on the little meters next to the ball how much spin you can conceivably get.

Do you not win avatar items for placing in tourneys online? I've gotten a 2nd and 3rd in my two tournaments I've played in, and didn't receive anything. I know in the PS3 version you did.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I might have to go through each page on here, but does anyone have a good guide to this game for someone who is new to HS? I played plenty of other golf games like this but this has a lot of intricate details that aren't really explained.

How do I do a big draw or fade exactly? Is it just holding left or right on the dpad during the swing?

ANY tips would be helpful. Also, feel free to add "Demolitio" on PSN as I plan on playing online a lot once I get this down. Thanks.

Regular spins/draws/fades are holding the d-pad in the appropriate direction, as you hit the button again for impact. You can be holding the d-pad the entire time throughout the swing.

Super spins, or any of the special shots, require you hold the d-pad in the opposite direction you normally would for the shot, when you hit the button on your upswing, and then holding the direction in the other way when you hit the button on your downswing, AND you have to get a perfect impact (your character will whistle a little musical note balloon if you did a perfect impact).

Other tips: look for shortcuts through the course. Sometimes, even though it seems stupid, hitting it into the rough may actually be faster than following the fairway to the hole. If anything, when you play the VS matches against the computer, watch what routes they take. If you pay attention, you'll find their routes tend to be the optimal way through a hole, although you usually have to be somewhat skilled to use their routes.

Right now all the tournaments are GF, but you can see in peoples profiles that there are 3 slots to the right of their GF stats.

Room for G2, G1 and G0?

You used to get prizes only in ranked not friendly on PS3.

Right now all the tournaments are GF, but you can see in peoples profiles that there are 3 slots to the right of their GF stats.

Room for G2, G1 and G0?

You used to get prizes only in ranked not friendly on PS3.

You're right. I hadn't noticed that every tourney was GF do far.

Duffyside

Banned
You didn't do them in official rounds. Rounds with conditions like unlimited power shot and Mega cup etc do not count.

3 more crowns to go. Man I messed up good on today's dailies. Back out of the top ten for me.

Hm. I'm pretty sure I did, actually, but I'll keep an eye out for that next time.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Question,

When does the wind not have any effect on your shot?, from what I can tell in the training area the wind seems to have no effect on approach shots but how do I know when I'm in the approach zone? is it when the game selects the AW for you?

Question,

When does the wind not have any effect on your shot?, from what I can tell in the training area the wind seems to have no effect on approach shots but how do I know when I'm in the approach zone? is it when the game selects the AW for you?

I think it's all about distance. usually in approach shot, the distance is short enough that the wind is not affecting much.

lowrider007

I think it's all about distance. usually in approach shot, the distance is short enough that the wind is not affecting much.

But how do I know I'm playing an approach shot? is when the default club is the aw?

There is a big difference, for example,

In training I set a 4m cross wind, I'm shooting onto the green, 78.7y from the pin, the default club is a sw, I take a perfect straight shot towards the pin and the wind affects the shot adversely and the ball veers away from the pin, then what I do for a test is I shoot the ball just another 20 yards, so now the game defaults to the aw club, I'm now 50 yards away from the pin with the same 4m cross wind, I do a perfect shot at the pin and it actually hits the pole, so the wind at this range had absolutely no effect on the shot at all.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Question,

Putting top spin on the shot (pushing up while you do an impact) will reduce the wind effect.

Putting backspin (pushing down) will increase the wind effect on the ball.

Generally, the higher the ball goes into the air, the more the wind will affect it.

HoTHiTTeR

But how do I know I'm playing an approach shot? is when the default club is the aw?

There is a big difference, for example,

In training I set a 4m cross wind, I'm shooting onto the green, 78.7y from the pin, the default club is a sw, I take a perfect straight shot towards the pin and the wind affects the shot adversely and the ball veers away from the pin, then what I do for a test is I shoot the ball just another 20 yards, so now the game defaults to the aw club, I'm now 50 yards away from the pin with the same 4m cross wind, I do a perfect shot at the pin and it actually hits the pole, so the wind at this range had absolutely no effect on the shot at all.

The way I played minna 5/HSG:OOB on ps3 was; chips 15y/30y/60y have no wind impact.

This is where it get's tricky, at least in my calculations I read and forumlated;
Anything 80-120y w/ a 9I/SW/PW/AW I played 1.5x wind effect w/ HIGH shooting expert characters. So if 1 square on the green = 1m of wind, I'd play a 4m exact cross wind @ 6m from the pin w/ a 100y shot. I'd only match the wind 1:1 w/ a MID shooting character. I also play it .75 wind effect when I put STS (super top spin) on the ball; lowering the trajectory. 4m wind= 3m from the pin.

lowrider007

Putting top spin on the shot (pushing up while you do an impact) will reduce the wind effect.

Putting backspin (pushing down) will increase the wind effect on the ball.

Generally, the higher the ball goes into the air, the more the wind will affect it.

That makes perfect sense but there is an approach zone in HSG where the wind seems to have no effect at all, I was just trying to work out when that is, the distance from the pin/club etc.

The way I played minna 5/HSG:OOB on ps3 was; chips 15y/30y/60y have no wind impact.

This is where it get's tricky, at least in my calculations I read and forumlated;
Anything 80-120y w/ a 9I/SW/PW/AW I played 1.5x wind effect w/ HIGH shooting expert characters. So if 1 square on the green = 1m of wind, I'd play a 4m exact cross wind @ 6m from the pin w/ a 100y shot. I'd only match the wind 1:1 w/ a MID shooting character. I also play it .75 wind effect when I put STS (super top spin) on the ball; lowering the trajectory. 4m wind= 3m from the pin.

Thanks mate that's interesting, I'll try applying some of those calculations to my play and see if it helps, it's stuff like this that makes this game very deep and interesting, I've spent hours in the training area testing shots out.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
That makes perfect sense but there is an approach zone in HSG where the wind seems to have no effect at all, I was just trying to work out when that is, the distance from the pin/club etc.

Wind will still affect the ball in approach mode, it just may not be as noticeable since the range of approach mode isnt that large.

However, when you're in approach zone mode (hell, even when you're not in it), make sure you also take into account elevation, I've seen a lot of people not consider that, and overshoot/undershoot. If you're higher than the target, your ball will travel farther, and if you're lower, the ball won't travel as far.

Remember, the arrow indicator is the distance the ball will travel if you're on SAME ELEVATION, LEVEL GROUND, and NO WIND. Most people tend to at least take into account wind, sometimes the slope of the ground, but hardly elevation.

STG!

The crown info didn't show up until I beat 6-VS and the credits rolled.

Oh OK, that's good to know, I've gotten a few without knowing exactly how I got them, but that's good eventually the requirements do get explained. I really don't want to look online for them, I'll just find out naturally over time.

Up to 5-1 at the moment. Using mainly Yuna, Isabelle, and now Amy. All about controlled golf.

Okay, so I just confirmed the arrow is always yellow, so it being that color doesnt mean you have a flyer. Still trying to figure out what it means when the arrow turns blue though.

thats the elevation of said landing area compared to where you hitting from

blue-Lower
Yellow- About same height
red-higher

lowrider007

Wind will still affect the ball in approach mode, it just may not be as noticeable since the range of approach mode isnt that large.

However, when you're in approach zone mode (hell, even when you're not in it), make sure you also take into account elevation, I've seen a lot of people not consider that, and overshoot/undershoot. If you're higher than the target, your ball will travel farther, and if you're lower, the ball won't travel as far.

Remember, the arrow indicator is the distance the ball will travel if you're on SAME ELEVATION, LEVEL GROUND, and NO WIND. Most people tend to at least take into account wind, sometimes the slope of the ground, but hardly elevation.

Yeah I've noticed elevation having a big impact on the distance the ball travels, it's something you really have to take into consideration on those par3 holes where your a lot higher than the pin.

I've found out how you know if your in the approach zone now, your swing bar goes blue.

Salaadin

My God did this game get hard. Just wrapped up bronze...I don't want to know what's coming :(
They have me by the balls. I can't quit.

On occasion, I get this green line that comes from the ball and goes out to the hole. Is that what you guys are talking about as an elevation indicator? How do I get it to appear? It only seems to pop up once in a while.

On occasion, I get this green line that comes from the ball and goes out to the hole. Is that what you guys are talking about as an elevation indicator? How do I get it to appear? It only seems to pop up once in a while.

that once in awhile wouldn't happen to be when you brush the back touchpad would it :p

lowrider007

My God did this game get hard. Just wrapped up bronze...I don't want to know what's coming :(
They have me by the balls. I can't quit.

Disable the rear touch panel in the menu.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll often trigger a replay when trying to skip past the shot. Is there something other than the face buttons that causes replays to come up?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
lol the very first thing i did when i turned game on.

But if you disable rear touch then you can't pick up the golfer and hold them in the air while they kick and struggle... one of the weirdest, creepiest things I've ever seen in a videogame.

Top Bottom