• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast: A New Beginning | Review Thread + |OT|

El9sHJDd.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Outcast: A New Beginning

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Mar 15, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 15, 2024)
  • PC (Mar 15, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Appeal Studios

Publisher: THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 70 average - 37% recommended

tQkcM7L.png

Metacritic - 69 average based on 22 Critic Reviews

CZpLboG.png

Critic Reviews

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Wait for Sale
Video Review - Quote not available

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 68 / 100
In essence, Outcast: A New Beginning can be characterized as a game brimming with exceptionally promising ideas yet suffering from dismal execution.

But Why Tho? - Adrian Ruiz - 8 / 10
The joy of Outcast – A New Beginning comes from the freedom of its nonlinear concept.

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 7 / 10
Outcast - A New Beginning will certainly please fans of the original, but its lack of anything unique and somewhat outdated gameplay may not impress others.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 78 / 100
There are lots of ways in which Outcast: A New Beginning punches way, way up. The world is elaborate and thoroughly imagined. Characters are interesting. Some of the game’s mechanics and elements will seem familiar, but in this case Outcast: A New Beginning can claim it was there first. Unrewarding combat and some bland mission design aside, Outcast: A New Beginning reminds me of many AA games that I loved despite their flaws.

Checkpoint Gaming - Victor Tan - 7 / 10
Outcast – A New Beginning presents an exciting adventure into the planet of Adelpha. While the innovative combat and environmental interactions are fun, the game is too similar to other open-world RPGs to truly stand out. Exploring Adelpha in its entirety is also challenging because several bugs hamper your progress, sometimes even crashing your game. The game may not break the barrier into greatness, but you can still easily have a good time if you look past the flaws.

Chicas Gamers - Antonio J. Rodríguez - Spanish - Unscored
You will like Outcast: a new beginning if you are one of those who played the original adventure, it will be full of nostalgia and memories. If you want to play a game with a well-crafted culture and background, this is your place.

Digitec Magazine - Philipp Rüegg - German - Unscored
"Outcast A New Beginning" is recommended for anyone who likes to explore beautiful worlds and doesn't mind primarily working through checklists. There's a lot to see, even more to shoot down and the action really pops. The game doesn't take itself too seriously. Slade and the Talans fool around too much for that and I recommend you do the same. Then you can definitely have fun with "Outcast A New Beginning".

Everyeye.it - Lorenzo Mango - Italian - 6.5 / 10
Outcast A New Beginning offers sometimes interesting alien settings, the backgrounds of a story that is all in all enjoyable, albeit without peaks of excellence.

Evilgamerz - Daan Nijboer - Dutch - 5 / 10
Outcast's return hasn't been as big as fans of the original had hoped. Where the game excels is the world and the ability to explore with your jetpack, but that's where the fun ends. Being able to personalize the weapons with the modules of your choice is nice, but on the other hand, the combat itself is not very spectacular. Add to that the bad jokes, the dramatic writing, the boring quests and the technical problems and you quickly end up with a very mediocre game. Outcast – A New Beginning falls short on almost all points, so you actually get bored after a few hours. Fans have had to wait 25 years for a worthy successor, but with A New Beginning they will be disappointed.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 76%
Outcast: A New Beginning scores with its huge freedom by exploring the world, gaining progress and solving quests in a more or less free order. The humour and the stylish-fantastic graphics are also standing on the bright side, even if some annoying bugs and performance issues do some harm to the strong atmosphere. The bottom line is that A New Beginning is a distinct rise of quality compared to its predecessor in mostly any aspect. But this is not enough for a general recommendation. But if you like the original or the remake from 2017, Outcast: A New Beginning is worth buying.

Game Rant - Max Borman - 3 / 5
Outcast: A New Beginning does offer a good amount of fun for those looking to mess around in an open-world sci-fi game that hearkens back to earlier entries in the genre. The world that Appeal created is fun to explore, the core gameplay loop feels like a blast from the past, and overall, it makes for a decent sci-fi experience. The story may not be the most interesting, and the content isn't that varied, but some players may still be able to find something to enjoy here. And fans of the original should at least enjoy this trip down memory lane, even if it could have been done better.

GameGrin - Dylan Pamintuan - 7 / 10
Outcast – A New Beginning is a fun time and something fans of the first game may enjoy. It has some issues, but it's worth experiencing and protecting Adelpha from anyone who wishes to destroy it.

GamesCreed - Mehmet Atilla Turan - 4.7 / 5
Outcast – A New Beginning came as a surprise as one of the releases for 2024. Although Appeal hinted at the sequel at certain points, it never caught my attention until now, of course. The graphics, lore, and story are pretty much settled in the Adelpha universe, and fluent gameplay pushes you to learn more about the story of natives and Cutter himself.

Gaming Nexus - Jason Dailey - 7.5 / 10
Despite its AA veneer, Outcast – A New Beginning is a solid open-world RPG. The combat doesn't carry its weight, but the quirky characters, fun traversal, and open quest system are the real heavy lifters. It feels like a game from a bygone era and in this instance it works.

Generación Xbox - Javier Gutierrez Bassols - Spanish - 72 / 100
Twenty years after Outcast, the award-winning action-adventure game, broke new ground in the genre of non-linear open-world games, this long-awaited sequel brings Cutter Slade back to the spectacular alien world of Adelpha. Resurrected by the all-powerful Yods, upon his return he finds Talans enslaved, a world stripped of its natural resources, and its own past mixed with invading robotic forces. It's up to you to accept the mission to save the planet again.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 7 / 10
There's fun to be had in the shooting and gliding, but Outcast: A New Beginning is simply stretched a little too thin.

Hardcore Gamer - James Cunningham - 4 / 5
Outcast - A New Beginning is an excellent sequel with a lot of great gameplay elements that go a long way to make up for its need for further polish. Bugs are common, from an outpost with the robots stuck in the floor to breakable helidium crystals floating several feet above the ground they should be poking out of, and the conversation trees are in desperate need of re-ordering. Despite this, though, it's almost impossible to resist seeing what the next villager is up to and their relation to the rest of the world, following the dialogue and fishing out quests as an excuse to see and do more. The world is also beautifully designed, with each village having its own architecture and style while the world map is covered in points of interest and different biomes, providing gorgeous views from just about any spot in the landscape. Combat is also great fun, especially when stumbling on a particularly effective gun combination or figuring out how the latest upgrade fits into the flow of the next hostile encounter. It took over twenty-four years for Cutter Slade to return to Adelpha, but the wait has paid off with an epic adventure on an alien world.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 78 / 100
It's hard to stand out among open-world adventures. Outcast 2 achieves this at times thanks to its light-heartedness and sense of freedom, but neither the missions themselves nor its visual performance manage to rise to the occasion.

IGN - 7 / 10
Outcast: A New Beginning is an effective restart for this all-but-forgotten series. It's certainly rough around the edges, but outside of Just Cause you probably won't have more fun with movement in an open-world game than you will here.

IGN Spain - Rafa Del Río - Spanish - 8 / 10
Outcast: a New Beginning finally brings us the continuation of a cult game from the 90s. A new experience that mixes the new and the retro to bring us back to simpler times without giving up the ambition of its beautiful open world.

NoobFeed - Jay Claassen - 85 / 100
Outcast – A New Beginning has endless potential, and it’s a pretty solid game to begin with, but it also needs some work before it really shines. There’s already a great story, a beautiful open world to explore, and an interesting combat system, and let’s not forget about the fully voiced world, but a little bit more polish would do wonders for this release.

PSX Brasil - Paulo Roberto Montanaro - Portuguese - 70 / 100
Outcast: A New Beginning is very far from any remnant of innovation and may disappoint those who expect something different from what the market already has in droves. But at the same time, it is honest in its simplest and most straightforward proposal, being able to entertain enthusiasts for a good open-world shootout.

Push Square - John Cal McCormick - 5 / 10
There's an undeniable charm to Outcast: A New Beginning, and twenty years ago this could have been the breakout hit for an ongoing Outcast franchise, but in 2024 players are spoilt for choice in the realm of third-person action-adventure games. If you're a fan of the AA, mid-tier shooters we used to get back in the day then this might be worth a look, but otherwise, there's just not enough here to warrant your attention.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Katharine Castle - Unscored
A poor (and bored) man's Avatar, Outcast: A New Beginning is a tedious open world shooter that simply doesn't have anything new to say.

Saving Content - Scott Ellison II - 3 / 5
The first game was neat for it’s time, and the remake breathed new life into the series. While I’m not sure we needed a sequel, there’s some really neat ideas, quests, systems, and ways of traversing I haven’t quite experienced. There’s clearly a lot of secrets to uncover and things to do in this open-world adventure we’ve seen before, but in a new way. This really feels like a throwback game from a different era mixed with new ideas. While not every component of Outcast – A New Beginning comes together the way it should, it’s still very entertaining and captivating.

Screen Rant - Rob Gordon - 2.5 / 5
Outcast - A New Beginning unfortunately lacks many aspects needed to revitalize this cult classic for the modern day. With an archaic gameplay loop and middling action, it’s not quite the follow-up to a revolutionary experience that fans may way. Although some may enjoy a return to Adelpha, and there’s quality to be found in exploration, this is an open world game that fails to hit the mark.

Shacknews - Lucas White - 8 / 10
Times like these I’m glad I get to blindly jump into games like Outcast - A New Beginning. I admit, I’d never give a game like this the time of day if I saw it on a shelf or in a Steam list or whatever. But I urge people out there who like retro sci-fi or classic games in that 90s PC style to give Outcast a shot. It’s charming and silly without being corny, and has a pitch-perfect game feel when it comes to flying around the world and fighting. The storytelling doesn’t hit any home runs, but the sum of the other parts hold the game up regardless. It’s a good time, and bigger, more expensive games could stand to learn a thing or two from it at the end of the day.

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 7 / 10
Has the 25-year wait been worth it? Well, it depends on what players are looking for. Fans of the first game will most likely be impressed if they’re hunting for a more modern take on the Outcast formula. In contrast, open-world vets might see this as a decent, yet generic outing on an Avatar-like planet.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 6 / 10
Outcast – A New Beginning features dated storytelling, poor writing, and an overliance on tropes we’ve all seen a thousand times by now. If none of that matters to you, however, you’re in for a pretty ok gameplay experience, with some unique mechanics and freedom that thankfully allows you to bypass a lot of the game’s storytelling, no matter how confidently it seems to throw it in your face.

Twinfinite - Ali Taha - 4 / 5
Outcast: A New Beginning lives up to the ambition the same developer achieved all those years ago. A captivating story, interesting characters, thoughtful world-building and slick action are only slightly marred by an inconsistent frame-rate, repetitive quests, bugs, and occasional crashes.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 4 / 5
Yes, Outcast - A New Beginning doesn't feel like a modern game and that's actually its primary appeal so if you have fond memories of 15 year old action adventure games then you'll love what's in store for you in this open-ended planet-exploring journey.

VideoGamer - Amaar Chowdhury - 6 / 10
Where it innovates in design, Outcast: A New Beginning simultaneously stumbles over its own two feet with a clunkiness emblematic of other games in its niche. The game isn’t better or worse than its competitors – but it’s different enough to deserve some attention

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 5.5 / 10
Outcast - A New Beginning is a missed opportunity, abandoning the unique elements of its predecessor for a conventional open-world design that doesn't work well. With uninspired open-world exploration, clunky movement, lackluster combat, and mediocre quest design, it's a hard sell for everyone but Cutter Slade's biggest fans who wish to know how the character's story continues, as there are far superior titles on the market that have executed similar concepts much more effectively.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 7.5 / 10
Outcast: A New Beginning is the epitome of a "perfectly fine" game. It plays well, runs well, looks fine, and is a decent experience that never manages to go beyond that. The mobility options make it a delight to explore the open world, but it lacks the punch needed to keep the momentum going. If you're looking for a solid and by-the-book, open-world game, Outcast does everything it needs to - nothing more, nothing less.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 5.5 / 10
Outcast: A New Beginning does its best to invoke a sense of wonder as you jetpack 4 feet off of the ground in an occasionally beautiful alien world. Weak writing, terrible performance, and repetitive quest design work together to make it a dour experience in the end.

Last edited:

Denton

Thanks for the thread. I remember reading review for original Outcast in local game mag (Level) back in 1999 where it scored 9.1 and was hailed as revolutionary game, which it actually was. I only got to play it when the remake came out few years ago and still enjoyed it, despite it only being visual update - all gameplay mechanics and story remained identical, but it still worked.

So I am quite excited to play the sequel, I did not think it would ever get made. Some people like it quite a lot, other not as much, but thems the breaks.

Unfortunately it will have to wait though, since I am already booked for Horizon 2 next week.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Before jumping the gun, remember there's a demo on both PSN and steam (I imagine xbox too) to test. Console performance was quite inconsistent.
I played the timed demo on PS5 and didn't like the stuttering.

May give this a go after dragons dogma 2.

Reactions: Isa

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yods be praised!

I loved the original Outcast, even if it's pretty clunky. I was a bit concerned when the remake didn't do much to modernize controls and UI and worried the game would be stuck in the past.

But honestly this seems great, if held back by budget constraints and filler and I'm okay with that.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The first one meaning the one from 30-whatever years ago? AFAIK voxel use at that time was revolutionary.
Yep, that's the one. Fun fact: it didn't require hardware acceleration to run, which was a novelty at the time, due to its use of voxels for terrain. Pretty amazing considering what it put on screen:
Outcast%20version%201.1%20rev%206%20-%20build%20%2319100%20-%20(c)%201999-2015%20Fresh3D%20sarl%206_21_2023%2000_12_09.png

Few games have ever been so far ahead of its time as Outcast.

Last edited:
I played the original for the first time a few years ago. It's surprising how well it holds up. The controls are the jankiest part, but so much of the questing elements feel on par with many games today; which means they were extremely advanced back in '99.

I really thought this sequel was going to be garbage, but it sounds like it'll be decent at a sale price.

I'll probably get this when it's $20-30. Demo was fun. I could see it scratching that AA itch when it's priced appropriately.

The remake or remaster of the first one is on PS+ Extra. I couldn't stand it though. It's too dated. Way too much dialogue with NPCs.
The shooting is terrible. It's definitely not a game that holds up, but I get it was first for a lot at the time.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
yes yes combat is faster blah blah

I enjoyed it more than the original anyway
It's ok to prefer one over the other but don't act like a douche when someone calls you out for spreading misinformation. There are more changes to the gameplay than only accelerated combat. But how would you know since you never played the original.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I always find it weird when reviewers harp on "dated combat mechanics."

Please, someone give me an example of what a modern combat system involves? Horizon, SM2, GoW, TLOU, FFXVI, Rebirth? Spare me these nit picks on AA games. It always comes off as gate keeping to me.

I always find it weird when reviewers harp on "dated combat mechanics."

Please, someone give me an example of what a modern combat system involves? Horizon, SM2, GoW, TLOU, FFXVI, Rebirth? Spare me these nit picks on AA games. It always comes off as gate keeping to me.

Pretty much what you listed there, lots of fiddling around in menus, abundance of useless abilities with cooldowns, multiple systems at play, crafting, skill trees, little trinkets you equip to boost random things, elemental weaknesses, etc. etc. -- basically complexity for the sake of complexity so the 1% of players who really get in to it can make cool gifs on Twitter.

Krathoon

The game does seem to be a better realized version of the original game world. It makes me wonder if the original developers are involved.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I played through the intro. The game does indeed feel like Outcast. They stayed true to the source material.

Of course, Cutter has amnesia. It also seems like he has some weird kind of riencarnation thing going on.

The game engine does do a little geometry pop in and some hitching. Not bad enough to get annoying, but it is there.

Last edited:

Krathoon

This does seem like an older Cutter Slade. It is supposed to be 25 years later.

They seem to be filling in his personal life in this one.

Krathoon

It seems like the woman in the first game had a child that regarded Cutter as a father. I could be wrong, but it seemed like the same woman.

Denton

It's ok to prefer one over the other but don't act like a douche when someone calls you out for spreading misinformation. There are more changes to the gameplay than only accelerated combat. But how would you know since you never played the original.
I did play it, for about two hours - but only in like 2011 (GOG release), when I found it too outdated, even if I respected it for what it did in 99. Also that Slade running animation that looked like he had a stick up his ass bothered me :p

Remake was just perfectly playable, with controller, and I had no problems with its combat or gameplay.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I did play it, for about two hours - but only in like 2011 (GOG release), when I found it too outdated, even if I respected it for what it did in 99. Also that Slade running animation that looked like he had a stick up his ass bothered me :p

Remake was just perfectly playable, with controller, and I had no problems with its combat or gameplay.
That's all fine just don't write their indentical. This makes my blood boil.

dropped the ball on performance and price, will get overlooked more than necessary. Likely buried and forgotten upon release of Ronin, DD2, FF7 Rebirth and Unicorn Overlord. Shame.

Krathoon

I went ahead and ordered Dragon's Dogma 2 from a key shop too because I am not gonna pay full price for it.

You can get the Deluxe Edition for $17 less.

Bry0

Am I blind? I can’t find the steam demo and I’m intrigued by the art style and the jetpack

Phase

Praise be! It's finally released.

That's about where I expected it to review. I'll definitely be picking it up on sale. I played Outcast 1.1 way back and loved it.

I am absolutely digging this game so far after picking it up for just £28 (versus £50) on Steam yesterday. Ended up playing the game from 7pm until 2am this morning as I was enjoying it so much.

The good news is that it runs better than the demo but still has traversal stuttering and some weird hitches from time to time but it’s not game-ruining or anything, at least not for me. I am playing on Ultra 1440p settings with a 120 fps cap using DLAA and the experimental DX12 mode. I’ve since added some Engine INI tweaks to the game that smooth out the performance further and this only makes the game even more immersive in my opinion.

First impressions for me was that this game looks stunning visually from the opening section in the temple with the cute little critter through to the jungle and eventually the village you reach. What impressed me was how detailed everything is and most foliage reacts and bends as Cutter walks through it, which isn’t something you see in many open world games in my experience. Characters models are less impressive in-game with some stiff animation and mediocre lip-syncing that betrays the game’s double A budget but it is yobvious to me that the developers poured a lot of love and effort into creating a beautiful and interesting world to explore.

I’d argue that this plays better than the recent Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora game from Ubisoft which it is has to be said looks graphically stunning but is just dull to play. Outcast: A New Beginning at least has humour; Cutter is blunt, rude and often direct, coming across as a bit of an arsehole, but the various aliens he meets all have interesting things to say and several of them are surprisingly funny from the village leader who objects to everything you do to an over-enthusiastic person who is excited and worried about an upcoming birth.

The game is also very story-heavy with lots of mostly well-done cutscenes (seemingly capped at 30 fps) and tons of dialogue options. You talk to key characters highlighted with an exclamation (!) mark but you can also speak to random villagers to and ask them about things and people you’ve discovered so far. It actually surprised me how much unique dialogue there is and the voice-acting is pretty much fine to my ears. The writing isn’t Shakespeare for sure but it is at least more engrossing than most of the banal drivel what Starfield had to offer! The combat is also serviceable and feels enjoyable enough but enemy AI is very basic. There’s resource collecting for missions and equipment/character upgrades, and traversal is great with a jet pack which you can use to quickly speed across open areas in and eventually upgrade to add a glide option. Missions so far have been reasonably varied, both main and side quests, and there are some fun mini-games to discover too that last no more than a couple of minutes.

Yes, the game can feel a bit janky in places and there are some minor graphical bugs such as floating objects but this is definitely a good, as in well above average, game in my book. As I said it is similar in terms of story to Avatar (humans invading an alien world with your character siding with the natives) but this game is just a lot more entertaining to play. Honestly, no-one is more astonished than me because while I liked the demo, I didn’t immediately ‘click’ with it and thought initially that it was just another low-budget open world with a generic setting. I couldn’t be more astonished at how good the full game is.

For me this is like the recent and amazingly good Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden in that it is a game that borrows heavily from other games, in that game’s case it’s God of War, but it manages to still offer enough in terms of unique elements, gameplay and story-telling to make for a compelling and memorable experience despite what those lukewarm 7 out of 10 review scores might suggest. Hell, I think some of these types of games are more impressive to play than bigger so-called triple A ones because they tend to be more ambitious even if not everything is as polished as you’d want. Thank goodness for publishers like THQ Nordic who put out these kind of games (I cannot wait for Alone in the Dark next week either) along with some stellar remakes such as Destroy All Humans! and, yes, SpongeBob SquarePants games!

Check this out even if it is only the demo (Kudos to the publishers for even releasing one) as you also might be surprised at how fun it is to play…

Last edited:
I was going to wait for a deep sale but I wanted to play it asap this weekend so I went YOLO. Plus I gotta support my AA gems. Loving the game. Wish it had more haptics though.

Now I’m juggling outcast, rebirth and Helldivers.

Top Bottom