• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
iphone-ios-4-jailbreak-hacktivation.jpg

Jailbreaking
Jailbreaking your device is the way you go about getting access to the device in way's Apple does not currently want you to. When you jailbreak your device, you'll be able to install applications that Apple either already has rejected or wouldn't accept in the first place. And yes, it's legal. Doesn't mean all the apps offered through the jailbroken stores necessarily are...but the process certainly is.

Benefits include:
  • Being able to install whatever software you'd like
  • Being able to customize your device how you'd like it

Potential issues include:
  • Increased risk of instability
  • Increased risk of making your device look really really bad with custom themes

Unlocking
Unlocking your device frees it from whatever carrier it's currently "locked" into. If you did not purchase your device in unlocked form, but want to use it on a different carrier than the carrier you purchased it from (or it previously existed on), you will need to perform an unlock on the device.

Benefits include:
  • Being able to use your device on any compatible network

Potential issues include:
  • Potentially being unable to access 3G due to incompatibilities

---------------super kudos to Dreams-Visions for providing the following content---------------

Resources

Dev-Team Team Blog
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

BigBoss Blog (Jailbreaking/iDevice news and apps)
http://thebigboss.org/

Dev-Team Team Blog
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

ModMyi (Jailbreaking/Unlocking news and helpful forums)
http://modmyi.com/

Rock Your Phone (good AppStore available to JB'd iphones)
http://rockyourphone.com/

Creator of Cydia
http://www.saurik.com/

Highly Recommended Jailbreak Applications

* = only available in Rockapp. Download Rock via Cydia.
$ = paid app

MyWi* $ (iPhone OS 3.1.2+) - use your existing iPhone data plan to create wired or wireless tethering on your iPhone. connect to any USB or wifi enabled device to share your data (internet!). Available via Rockapp and Cydia.

Winterboard - Customized icons, fonts, themes and more. Available via Cydia.

My3G* $ / 3G Unrestrictor $ / FaceBreak $ - Use Facetime over 3G! Available via Rock (My3G) and Cydia (3GU and FB)

SBSettings - quick-access menu that become available from any application and gives you access to iPhone essentials including: brightness, BT on/off, wifi on/off, airplane mode, and more.

Backgrounder - enable true multitasking. Excellent for apps that may still not be multitasking enabled or for apps that don't "pause" well with Apple's built-in multitasking implementation.

biteSMS $ - excellent replacement SMS application. enables quick-replies/creation from within any app or from the lock screen (don't have to open the SMS app), emoticons, and more.

LockInfo $ - Make use of your lockscreen with this excellent app. Plug-ins will give you access to your local weather, task lists, calendars, RSS feeds, e-mail and other things right on the lock screen. Enable/disable things at your pleasure.

Intelliscreen* $ - Similar to lockinfo, but with better support for RSS and some different/better UI implementations. Costs more than LockInfo (displays information on your lockscreen), though, so download the trial and see which you like more.

CyDelete - Delete Cydia apps the way you delete normal AppStore apps (holding until they start shaking, then hitting the "x") instead of having to uninstall from within Cydia

Infinifolders $ - Place unlimited icons in your folders (instead of just 12)

Landscape TV Out - view apps on a TV, full-screen. Awesome for subscribers to MLB.tv or NBA League Pass...or for any other app you'd like to display on your TV but may not support the option by default.

Location Spoofer $ - Fake your phone's location. Awesome for apps like MLB.tv, which are sometimes subject to regional black-outs. change your location and watch without blackouts.

Multifl0w $ - Expose-like interface for your multitasking (backgrounder) apps. simply fantastic.

OpenSSH - Secure remote access to your iDevice's root file system

PdaNet - iPhone wired-tethering only solution for those who don't want MyWi for some reason (http://www.junefabrics.com/android/).

WiFi Sync $ - Sync your iDevice over wifi (http://getwifisync.com/)

SmartScreen for iPad $ - Now your iPad's lock screen can be more than a photo album add widgets to your iPad lock screen. Several available. (http://media-phone.ch/en/products/smart-screen-ipad.html)

PDF Patch (patches security hole exposed by Jailbreakme.com method of jailbreaking)

Flashlight - Best for all iDevices except iPhone 4. Basically, it just displays a white screen at max brightness, but this very effectively serves as a flashlight in dark spots.

Frash - Enable flash on your iDevice (more or less)! (http://www.redmondpie.com/install-flash-frash-on-iphone-4-how-to-video-guide/)

Fake Carrier - Change the name of your carrier to anything you want!

Mobile Terminal - Terminal right on your iPhone.

60-second lockscreen - great for if you have some sort of lock screen app installed. the screen will remain on for 60 seconds while viewing the lockscreen.

iBlacklist *$ - Screen/filter your calls and SMS messages to your tastes.

AndroidLock XT *$ - Unlock your phone with a drawn patter, a-la Android​

---------------super kudos to Dreams-Visions for providing the following content---------------

Let's use this thread to discuss current methods/issues with jailbreaking/unlocking as well as sharing our super sweet customizations screenshots as well as some apps like we like to use.

jts

...hate me...
Thank you!

I have one question:

If you downgrade your iOS version in order to jailbreak, will you be able to restore from your last backup (made on a more recent iOS version)?

RubxQub

jts said:
If you downgrade your iOS version in order to jailbreak, will you be able to restore from your last backup (made on a more recent iOS version)?
You should be fine.

The backup isn't tied to any firmware version and doesn't have the firmware as part of the backup. It should just restore your installed applications and settings, but not affect your jailbreak.

yanhero

I've been thinking about jailbreaking my 3g. Will it make it any faster? :lol Its so painfully slow right now with iOS4.

Also, can I switch back to official firmware? And can I still buy apps from the app store? Or am I stuck getting apps illegally?

RubxQub

yanhero said:
I've been thinking about jailbreaking my 3g. Will it make it any faster? :lol Its so painfully slow right now with iOS4.

Also, can I switch back to official firmware? And can I still buy apps from the app store? Or am I stuck getting apps illegally?
You can still purchase content from the official App Store after you've jailbroken, so no worries there.

Jailbreaking is also legal, as in purchasing applications from things like Cydia or Rock (common jailbroken distribution applications). What could potentially be illegal are apps like WiFi-Hotspot apps or game emulation...stuff that breaches copyright or is against your terms of use with your existing carrier.

As for jailbreaking your 3G to make it faster, I'd have to let others speak to that. I've heard that disabling Spotlight in Settings makes the phone go a bit faster, and I know Apple's planning on putting out a new firmware to address the performance...but I don't have any experience with 3G's at this point to say.

Hopefully someone else can help you there.

jts

...hate me...
RubxQub said:
You should be fine.

The backup isn't tied to any firmware version and doesn't have the firmware as part of the backup. It should just restore your installed applications and settings, but not affect your jailbreak.
I do think it is. I recently got an iPhone 4 and it came with 4.0.1. When I tried to restore from my 3GS backup (which was running on 4.1), iTunes said I needed to update my iPhone 4.

I ended up updating it, but I did jailbreak it and saved the SHSH blobs first.

I suppose I can't downgrade now anyway... best bet is to wait for 4.1 JB :(

RubxQub

jts said:
I do think it is. I recently got an iPhone 4 and it came with 4.0.1. When I tried to restore from my 3GS backup (which was running on 4.1), iTunes said I needed to update my iPhone 4.

I ended up updating it, but I did jailbreak it and saved the SHSH blobs first.

I suppose I can't downgrade now anyway... best bet is to wait for 4.1 JB :(
4.1 is a beta so I can't confirm what's going on there, but from what I've read you should be able to do this without an issue.

Can't speak from experience, though, just from what I've read online.

Westonian

jts said:
I have one question:

When I downgraded my 3G from 4.0 to 3.1.3 I lost my back-up. iTunes popped up a message saying that the back-up was made from a newer version of the firmware and I would only be able to restore from it by upgrading (downgrading IMO) the firmware to 4.0.

The only thing you risk losing are your texts and photos. So before you downgrade, copy your photos. I don't know how you would go about backing up texts.

dyls

yanhero said:

I had my 3G jailbroken when it was on 3.1, and it was hurting performance back then, so I don't know how it could be any better now. I would probably avoid doing so. If you do, do not install Winterboard. It's the single biggest drain on RAM and processor and will grind your phone to a halt.

Loving jailbreak on my iPhone 4, however. Haven't noticed any issues.

I need to do this, this week. I have a 3GS with 4.0.2, jailbreakme.com doesn't work, whats the best way to do this? Also whats the performance issues, problems? I'm really going to need tethering since I'm moving across the country, and would like to have a decent hookup with my laptop (even with a 2G max)

RubxQub, your OP is pretty barren, brah. you need to link up some resources for jailbreaking and jailbreaking news.

I recommend you provide links to:

ModMyi.com

iPhone Dev-Team Blog (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/)

jailbreakme.com

Spirit jailbreak (http://spiritjb.com/)

Rock (rockyourphone.com)

and also have a section that specifies which OS firmwares are currently eligible for jailbreaking.

You should also include a section explaining what Cydia and Rock are and how they work.

Maybe even a "most recommended jailbreak apps" section would be of real value.

/thoughts.

RubxQub

Dreams-Visions said:
RubxQub, your OP is pretty barren, brah. you need to link up some resources for jailbreaking and jailbreaking news.
That was supposed to be the job of someone who is an active jailbreaker!

If you feel like whipping up some info I'll gladly update the OP.

yanhero said:

Yes, if you're willing to do some more advanced stuff.

Tip 1: Removing certain Launchdaemons from the iOS frees up memory which is taken by uneccessary Apple functions, how much you can remove and which speed increase you get varies.

Tip 2: Running some scripts in the commandprompt searches and deletes unnecessary languages. Speed increase varies.

Removing launchdaemons surely helped my 3G carry the burden that is iOS4. I could post links to tutorials if people want them(or for the op?).

RubxQub said:
That was supposed to be the job of someone who is an active jailbreaker!

If you feel like whipping up some info I'll gladly update the OP.
oh! I didn't realize you weren't an active jailbreaker. I'll PM you some additions.

RubxQub

Dreams-Visions said:
oh! I didn't realize you weren't an active jailbreaker. I'll PM you some additions.
Danke, sir.

jts

...hate me...
Westonian said:
When I downgraded my 3G from 4.0 to 3.1.3 I lost my back-up. iTunes popped up a message saying that the back-up was made from a newer version of the firmware and I would only be able to restore from it by upgrading (downgrading IMO) the firmware to 4.0.

The only thing you risk losing are your texts and photos. So before you downgrade, copy your photos. I don't know how you would go about backing up texts.
There is more than texts and photos to it. All the app saves which can be super important, wi-fi settings, email settings, calendar, contacts (especially if you don't sync those with an external app or server), etc.

I think that it's manageable to transfer all that stuff manually though, if you have JB before and after downgrade (root access to the filesystem which lets you backup everything, for example the SMSs is just an SMS.db file).

But it's a hassle. And in my case I wasn't able to get JB before the downgrade, so no root access to me.

Axion22

Thx Rubx, someone had to do it :lol

Question: what was that business alluding to RockApp being unsecure by one of the dev-team guys on his twitter? (it was in the iPhone 4 thread, like the day of Jailbreakme)

SmoothCB

I'm running ios 3.1.3 on my 3G and want to jailbreak and unlock my phone to use on an overseas carrier on my next trip. Can anyone recommend the best, easiest route to go about doing this?

dyls

So I had my iPad jailbroken for a bit, then upgraded to 3.2.1 to deal with the wifi issue. Haven't upgraded from there yet because I've been thinking about jailbreaking again, but honestly I haven't really felt the need. I miss SBSettings a little, but it's not nearly as important as on the phone, and I'm not too bothered by the lack of folders or multitasking.

Basically what I'm asking is are there any other compelling reasons to JB right now? Have there been any killer apps that I don't know about released recently?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
dyls said:
So I had my iPad jailbroken for a bit, then upgraded to 3.2.1 to deal with the wifi issue. Haven't upgraded from there yet because I've been thinking about jailbreaking again, but honestly I haven't really felt the need. I miss SBSettings a little, but it's not nearly as important as on the phone, and I'm not too bothered by the lack of folders or multitasking.

Basically what I'm asking is are there any other compelling reasons to JB right now? Have there been any killer apps that I don't know about released recently?
For the iPad? I like my SBSettings and Frash.

It doesn't seem to be too important for the iPad, otherwise. At least, for me.

jts

...hate me...
dyls said:

For me it has always been, and will always be (until Apple does something about it) all about Lockinfo. Sweet information right on the lockscreen instead of a stupid static wallpaper? Sold!

With it, my iPhone becomes whole.

DarkWish

I had jailbroken my iPod Touch 2G so I could use custom wallpaper and do multitasking, but then stuff kept crashing constantly, especially Safari. It just got to the point that it was too annoying so I restored it and then re-jailbroke but without the custom wallpaper and multitasking. I get an occasional crash, but not much anymore. I was wondering though if this was just a memory issue or something? Did anyone else have that issue?

SleazyC

Have had my iPhone jailbroken for a couple weeks now and was wondering if anyone has had problems with multifl0w. I've had my phone lock up on the multifl0w screen twice now which as required a soft reboot upon being kicked into safe-mode.

Been thinking that it might be my combination of iLock and multifl0w so I have disabled iLock to test this.

warhead

Anyone got a good solution for Push notification on a iPhone 3G running on 3.1.2? I've done a push fix before but that just fixed Youtube, now I want to use Whatsapp and that's pretty useless without push. I've found Push Doctor but keep getting errors when I try to install it.

jts

...hate me...
DarkWish said:
I had jailbroken my iPod Touch 2G so I could use custom wallpaper and do multitasking, but then stuff kept crashing constantly, especially Safari. It just got to the point that it was too annoying so I restored it and then re-jailbroke but without the custom wallpaper and multitasking. I get an occasional crash, but not much anymore. I was wondering though if this was just a memory issue or something? Did anyone else have that issue?
Yes. I had a memory issue with my iPod touch 2G back in the day. No jailbreak, nada, and a lot of apps kept crashing for no reason. The problem ironed itself out as time went by though.

taylor910

Anyone have an issue where voicemails come in with the wrong date and time? I just got a voicemail from someone who called me today, but the date is from last week at a different time...

Last couple things I installed are NoSpot and SlantLock if anyone is using those without any issues. Thanks!

dyls

jts said:
For me it has always been, and will always be (until Apple does something about it) all about Lockinfo. Sweet information right on the lockscreen instead of a stupid static wallpaper? Sold!

With it, my iPhone becomes whole.

Oh yeah, LockInfo is huge on the iPhone, as is SBsettings. But I don't find as much of a need on the iPad. And with the (ridiculously) less RAM than the iPhone, I'm a little hesitant to add in anything I don't consider completely necessary.

Bboy AJ said:
For the iPad? I like my SBSettings and Frash.

It doesn't seem to be too important for the iPad, otherwise. At least, for me.

That's a little more what I was talking about. How is the performance? Any severe issues, or is it worth grabbing?

rc213

warhead said:
Anyone got a good solution for Push notification on a iPhone 3G running on 3.1.2? I've done a push fix before but that just fixed Youtube, now I want to use Whatsapp and that's pretty useless without push. I've found Push Doctor but keep getting errors when I try to install it.

Just keep trying Push Doctor as that is the best solution unless you want to pay $6 for Push Fix 2.0. Usually errors out when it can't retrieve a cert from the server. Also be sure and backup your certs once you get Push Doctor installed.

I'm on a iPhone 2G 3.1.3 jailbroken, I recently had to do a full restore so I got stuck on the Emergency screen since I am not on AT&T. I found one of those phonebook/universal sims cheap on ebay which saved my bacon. Will post a link once I find it for other people who might need one.

jakershaker said:
Yes, if you're willing to do some more advanced stuff.

Tip 1: Removing certain Launchdaemons from the iOS frees up memory which is taken by uneccessary Apple functions, how much you can remove and which speed increase you get varies.

Tip 2: Running some scripts in the commandprompt searches and deletes unnecessary languages. Speed increase varies.

Removing launchdaemons surely helped my 3G carry the burden that is iOS4. I could post links to tutorials if people want them(or for the op?).

Would any of this be useful on 3.1.3?

Fusebox

Banned
Just got a new iPhone 4 that was 4.02 straight off the shelf. Someone wake me when they release a JB I can use ... :(

klix108

I've got a question. I recently bought a new laptop with windows 7. It won't recognize my Ipod Touch 1g which has been jailbroken for ages. The problem is that the device tries to load an 'unsigned driver' and windows refuses to allow it to be used. I've found a workaround, but I don't really like it as I have to keep my computer in a 'test mode' with an annoying watermark on my desktop stating this.

Are there any solutions to this? And I guess I should ask if I'm actually right in my assumption that my Ipod doesn't have a signed driver because it has not had an official update in ages.

Wads

Banned
Anybody do this on iPod Touch? The only reason I really want to do this is so I can use a bluetooth headset on the touch for things like skype. I'm pretty sure cydia has an app for that, but can anyone confirm?

rc213

klix108 said:
I've got a question. I recently bought a new laptop with windows 7. It won't recognize my Ipod Touch 1g which has been jailbroken for ages. The problem is that the device tries to load an 'unsigned driver' and windows refuses to allow it to be used. I've found a workaround, but I don't really like it as I have to keep my computer in a 'test mode' with an annoying watermark on my desktop stating this.

Are there any solutions to this? And I guess I should ask if I'm actually right in my assumption that my Ipod doesn't have a signed driver because it has not had an official update in ages.

You have the latest version of iTunes installed? Also 32/64bit depending on your OS version? Is the 1G on 3.1.3?

klix108

my itunes is 9.2.1.5 and it is the 64bit version as is my windows.

ios is 3.1.2. Do you think that this is the issue?

artist

Banned
iPhone 3G here without iOS4, can I go back to the original (unjailbreak) it?

Also should I upgrade to iOS4 and then do it?

Sorry for the noob questions.

rc213

klix108 said:
my itunes is 9.2.1.5 and it is the 64bit version as is my windows.

ios is 3.1.2. Do you think that this is the issue?

Shouldn't be, Have you tried uninstalling iTunes+ Addons(App Support,Mobile Device Support).

irfan said:

What do you mean by original? As in stock 3.x firmware?

Shawsie64

Banned
So im a complete noob and very confused. I have version 3.1.3 (7E18). Done a bit of research but pretty scared ill brick my phone if i mess something up..

Firestorm

irfan said:

If you are on a 3G, do NOT upgrade to iOS4

klix108

rc213 said:
Shouldn't be, Have you tried uninstalling iTunes+ Addons(App Support,Mobile Device Support).

I haven't, but I'm not sure that's the problem. By using driver signature enforcement bypass software I get around the issue no problem. I just don't like having that software running 24/7.

knitoe

Dreams-Visions said:
this needs to be in the OP, pronto.
Not yet. The guy even said he hasn't tested his own guide in the first sentence. Who wants to be the guinea pig? And, when you change the firmware file, how will it pass the integrity check? From what been posted, definitely, doesn't work with iPhone 4.

Top Bottom