• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

rc213

klix108 said:
I haven't, but I'm not sure that's the problem. By using driver signature enforcement bypass software I get around the issue no problem. I just don't like having that software running 24/7.

I used my iPhone 2G on 3.1.2 and my sisters iPod Touch 1G on a 64bit Windows 7 without issue ever. Sounds like something went wrong.

Fake edit: Did you use the libusb package when you originally jailbroke your ipod?

After using BiteSMS, there is no way I can ever go back to the default messaging app. It's packed with features. Definitely my primary reason for jailbreaking.

okno

What is the easiest way to change the default text alert sounds? I hate all of them and keep my text sound on 'off' which means I can't get a vibrating alert when I receive a text and it's getting annoying. Why can't it be as easy as making custom ringtones? ;_;

Also, what are the must have apps? I just jailbroke my phone with jailbreakme.com but now I'm at a loss. The first thing I got was SBSettings, but that thing made my phone crash or hang everytime I changed any settings (and the airport mode function would not work for me) so I got rid of it.

Karram

So how do people who don't have an AT&T sim card get to open the site on safari ? Isn't the iPhone supposed to be Locked when there is no AT&T card detected ?

just a head's up: that Auto3G app...it not awesome.

preliminary reports are that it saves very little battery life, while causing issues with answering calls and issues with apps you don't actually want dropping down to Edge when streaming with the screen locked (like Pandora and MyWi).

maybe the product will improve down the road, complete with a way to list apps that will cause Auto3G to not enable when they're running. but for now, pass.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Super big update to the OP in terms of information and resources thanks to Dreams-Visions.

Be sure to send him some thanks!

jambo

irfan said:
Is the performance impact really that bad?
My 3G was almost unusable when it was on iOS4. Now that I have my iPhone 4 I'm gonna roll it back to 3.x before I sell it.

TimeKillr

So I'm on iOS 4.0.1. Seems I can use jailbreakme.com

I'm actually scared I'll lose all my text messages, though. Never used a jailbreak on my phone, so I don't know what to expect - is there a significant risk of losing anything stored in the phone at ALL when jailbreaking?

Manics

Banned
TimeKillr said:

I'm actually scared I'll lose all my text messages, though. Never used a jailbreak on my phone, so I don't know what to expect - is there a significant risk of losing anything stored in the phone at ALL when jailbreaking?

No, all your stuff will still be there provided you don't restore to do a jailbreak.

epik

jambo said:
I'm just about to try Frash on my iPad, downloading the deb now.

I totally hear peter chao saying he wants to "Frash his iPad"

695A.jpg

TimeKillr said:

nothing will disappear. in fact, you won't notice anything on your phone has changed with the exception of Cydia being added to your collection of apps.

freshair

hyp said:
anyone using notified pro and finding it pretty useless these days?

It still seems a bit in its infancy and still has to prove (at least to me) its usefulness. Although I do like the bottom popups rather than the default ones that apple does.

I use quickreply very frequently for my sms, and their redirects doesn't support that, so its quite useless for me at this point.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
jambo said:
I'm just about to try Frash on my iPad, downloading the deb now.
There's a repo in Cydia you can add to download Frash without manually SSH'ing any files.

Add this source: http://repo.benm.at/
Then search for Frash.

May want to add/change that in the OP instead of the longer and more complex redmondpie.com article on the subject.

Bleepey

I just wanna know how does one put music into an Iphone without fucking itunes. I can't fucking do it and this shit is hard.

Firestorm

irfan said:
Yes.

Is the performance impact really that bad?
While scrolling back up to reply to this my phone hung for two full minutes. This is not a rare occurrence. So yes. Yes it is that bad.

jambo

Tunesmith said:
There's a repo in Cydia you can add to download Frash without manually SSH'ing any files.

Add this source: http://repo.benm.at/
Then search for Frash.

May want to add/change that in the OP instead of the longer and more complex redmondpie.com article on the subject.
I ended up just downloading it and using iPhone Browser to copy it in via USB. Easy as pie.

Seems to work ok, all flash ads play fine, but all I got was errors when I went on NewGrounds.

knitoe

Dreams-Visions said:
any reason why? My3G has given me no problems.
You don't need Rock and possible issues that may come having that installed too. Generally, if you look around, 3G unrestrictor has less problems.

As someone who hasn't decided whether to get an iPhone or a HTC Desire yet, thank you for this thread, I've always been confused about what jailbreaking really was.

Ashhong

hyp said:
anyone using notified pro and finding it pretty useless these days?

funny that this is mentioned, i just deleted that thing. i was using it on a measly 3G but even then its useless, and i hated how the ! would stay in my taskbar.

anybody using multif0w? im having a hell of a time getting the correct settings to do what i want with multifl0w and backgrounder. mainly the fact that when i go out of some apps it doesnt stay in the background. and some apps that i dont want, do. i dont know, its very confusing.

Bleepey said:
I just wanna know how does one put music into an Iphone without fucking itunes. I can't fucking do it and this shit is hard.

i dont think thats possible? what is your issue with itunes though? sure its not the best but if you just put it on manual manage mode its just drag and drop..

Ashhong

Does anybody know how to edit the icons of an appstore app? i found the file icon.png in the IPA but when i open the file its just transparent. other people online seem to be getting results but i cant seem to get it...

Ignignort

iTether $ - Allows you to tether your iPhone to iPad. Install on iPad if it is wifi only.

Instructions:

1. Buy and install iTether on your iPad.
2. Make sure you have bluetooth turned off.
3. On your iPhone enable tethering and turn bluetooth on when given the option.
4. Open iTether on your iPad and slide across to on.
5. Discover your iPhone via the iTether app. Input bluetooth pairing code.
6. Tap on your iPhone when it is paired, wait for the green tick.
7. Exit iTether :D

twofold

rc213 said:
Would any of this be useful on 3.1.3?

These little tweaks make a massive difference.

I'm running a hacked version of ios4, designed to run on a 2g iphone, and it's nearly as quick as my mates 3gs. Safari went from taking about 6-7s to open to popping up instanteously, not to mention I have multi tasking and other cool stuff like that on my 2g. My 2g has been given a second lease of life!

Instructions copied and pasted from another site. If your iphone breaks/dies/explodes, don't blame me.

First of all, install ios4 for 2g here - whited00r project

After that's all done, SSH into your phone; guide here - iClarified - iPhone - How to SSH Into Your iPhone Using WinSCP (Windows). After that, disable the lock screen.

Then, push CTRL+T in WinSCP to open the terminal and copy and paste the following code -

find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} \;

This deletes all language packs on the phone except for english and japanese.

Next, follow the steps on this site to remove unnecessary launch daemons - Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

Finally, hard reboot the phone and you'll have multi tasking, massively improved performance and a load of other extra stuff.

Ashhong

sorry just to clarify, since it says 2g in that tutorial, i assume that those tweaks would help a 3G iphone as well? and you say it runs great now?

and can i apply those tweaks to 3.1.3 as well?

Ashhong

okno said:
What is the easiest way to change the default text alert sounds? I hate all of them and keep my text sound on 'off' which means I can't get a vibrating alert when I receive a text and it's getting annoying. Why can't it be as easy as making custom ringtones? ;_;

Also, what are the must have apps? I just jailbroke my phone with jailbreakme.com but now I'm at a loss. The first thing I got was SBSettings, but that thing made my phone crash or hang everytime I changed any settings (and the airport mode function would not work for me) so I got rid of it.

I dont believe there is an easy way. This is how I do it, but by no means is it the best way, in fact its freaking long.

1. Install Winterboard from Cydia
2. Install any theme on Cydia containing a text sound. When I did this, I remember using a Home Improvement "URGGGGG" sound. You should see this in Winterboard as a theme.
3. SSH into your phone, you will need OpenSSH from Cydia and WinSCP on your computer.
4. Navigate to.../Library/Themes (I believe) and then find your theme with the sound you just installed. Inside many folders there should be a .CAF file.
5. Take your sound file that you want and convert it to an AIF file. You can do this in iTunes by just dragging it in, choosing AIF in your converting preferences, and converting it.
6. Now rename this newly created file into exactly what the downloaded theme has, which should be sms-received.caf, and overwrite the themed one.

Now all you need to do is activate the theme and you are good to go. You could skip the theme download and overwrite one of Apples default sounds, but I prefer it this way. I may have skipped some steps...so post if its unclear. Also if anybody knows an easier way like a program that does this for you please post it....

twofold

Ashhong said:
sorry just to clarify, since it says 2g in that tutorial, i assume that those tweaks would help a 3G iphone as well? and you say it runs great now?

and can i apply those tweaks to 3.1.3 as well?

The launch daemons and lproj tweaks should work fine with 3.1.3. If you want multi tasking and stuff like that, it might be worth installing the Whitedoor 3g firmware. As for performance, it's night and day. It's obviously not as smooth as an iphone 4, but it's way, way, way better than it was before.

okay so can someone who knows more than me reply to this post and give an official "what do i do if i want to upgrade to 4.1 next week" answer

...if there is one

345triangle said:
okay so can someone who knows more than me reply to this post and give an official "what do i do if i want to upgrade to 4.1 next week" answer

...if there is one
Upgrade and lose your jailbreak.

Or.

Wait until a jailbreaking solution comes out for 4.1, then upgrade, and keep your jailbreak.

butter_stick said:
Upgrade and lose your jailbreak.

Or.

Wait until a jailbreaking solution comes out for 4.1, then upgrade, and keep your jailbreak.

how long do these solutions usually take to come along, and what does implementing them involve?

bear in mind i'm the kind of user who's only jailbroken in the first place because a website came up that literally said "slide to jailbreak".

345triangle said:
how long do these solutions usually take to come along, and what does implementing them involve?

bear in mind i'm the kind of user who's only jailbroken in the first place because a website came up that literally said "slide to jailbreak".

It'll probably not be that simple again for awhile now.

Honestly, it's hard to guess. Sometimes a jailbreak takes days, sometimes weeks. It's a case of balancing up how badly you need to upgrade with how much you care about your jailbreak. Given that you can always downgrade to 4.0.1 now (assuming Cydia has your blob things on record) upgrading then jailbreaking again if you need to doesn't seem too bad.

Top Bottom