• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New infamous second son screenshots

You know, I look at these graphics and wonder:

Since the newest hardware is more like PC hardware and is easier to work with and therefore in turn more simpler to harness the power of, does that mean we will see current hardware be maximized much sooner?

Look at PS3 and Last of Us, they were still pulling out more juice out of that system in its 7th year.

I don't think we'll see that with PS4.

I'l bet the system will be fully tapped by its 3rd or 4th year tops.

sn00zer

Since the newest hardware is more like PC hardware and is easier to work with and therefore in turn more simpler to harness the power of, does that mean we will see current hardware be maximized much sooner?

Look at PS3 and Last of Us, they were still pulling out more juice out of that system in its 7th year.

I always believed this, but I think "maxing out" th system will be different for each developer....there will always be little things to find and optimize

I always believed this, but I think "maxing out" th system will be different for each developer....there will always be little things to find and optimize

Yeah, but I am willing to bet there will be a lot more diminishing returns here.

I doubt, for instance, Naughty Dog will be able to unleash as much power on this system over the years as they did last generation.

Prelude.

It won't happen. It's not a matter of tapping the hardware but finding alternative ways to use less resources and optimizing the tools, it's just that this time there's not a ridiculously complex starting point.

eshwaaz

Was never a fan of the first two but with Cole out and these insane graphics I am ready to play it again.

Day one.
Same. Either I'll be pleasantly surprised that inFamous has finally "clicked" with me, or I'll end up giving up on it 2/3 of the way through like I did with the first two games, kicking myself for not knowing better.

Portugeezer

Sooner than if it was more complex hardware? Probably, but it also means they won't waste time working around bottlenecks (Cells complexity, mediocre GPU, low RAM)

Imagine if we could have gotten TLOU graphics in the "3rd or 4th" years of the PS3.

It won't happen. It's not a matter of tapping the hardware but finding alternative ways to use less resources and optimizing the tools, it's just that this time there's not a ridiculously complex starting point.

Yeah, but its like that on all systems.

I still believe they will find more of these alternatives earlier on and be left struggling to tap more power and optimize further as times goes on.

I mean, logically speaking if you are able gain greater efficiency and pull greater performance from the system earlier on, there has to be less potential you can exploit later.

You have to admit, the potential of the system is not limitless. There is only so far the hardware can be realized.

Sooner than if it was more complex hardware? Probably, but it also means they won't waste time working around bottlenecks (Cells complexity, mediocre GPU, low RAM)

Imagine if we could have gotten TLOU graphics in the "3rd or 4th" years of the PS3.

Oh don't get me wrong!

I didn't say it was a bad thing.

Having better graphics sooner has its benefits too! Which is why I am really curious to see what ND can do with the hardware on its first time out.

I am expecting a title that will really blow us away, even more then the original Uncharted did.

Yeah, but its like that on all systems.

I still believe they will find more of these alternatives earlier on and be left struggling to tap more power and optimize further as times goes on.

I mean, logically speaking if you are able gain greater efficiency and pull greater performance from the system earlier on, there has to be less potential you can exploit later.

You have to admit, the potential of the system is not limitless. There is only so far the hardware can be realized.

Why are you painting earlier optimisation as a negative thing? The roof being hit sooner is not a bad thing.

Edit: You answered whilst I was typing... :p

SykoTech

i5YSAOepa62Nx.jpg

Man, they really nailed a great atmospheric look for this game. Pretty much exactly how I wanted infamous to look from the start.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, but I am willing to bet there will be a lot more diminishing returns here.

I doubt, for instance, Naughty Dog will be able to unleash as much power on this system over the years as they did last generation.

GPGPU and HSA features will add a lot to games over time. HSA will especially allow for much greater efficiency use of both CPU and GPU and the 32 ACEs for GPU compute will give the system a lot of flexibility. I don't think it'll be as sudden of an increase as the PS3 had once 2009 hit but the improvements will be steady and many.

I hope you are right, which will hopefully mean that they churn out games faster! :)

Zen

Banned
Pretty sure they aren't showing anymore powers.

Don't be so quick to presume that you've seen the depth of my not caring about the authenticity of a location in the game. In no way did I mispeak. You presume you'd already seen the net zero sum of my caring, but oh boy, just watch how little I will care when pushed!

People need to stop jumping on this particular thing with assumption that they're correcting someone :p

More powers with smoke and neon? Maybe,we wont see other power sets though they said that many times.

Yeah that's true, I used 'powers' as a shorthand for 'some substantial information to do with the actual game beyond redundant fetishism of a place that 99% of the potential customer base has neither been to nor logically shares the same over indulgence for'. 90% of their media produced for public consumption since the second trailer might as well have been paid for by the Seattle tourism board. Few people care guys.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Man, the wait for this game is slowly starting to get harder. It's not like I have a lack of awesome games to play, but inFAMOUS is one of my favorite IPs. March can't get here soon enough!

Sulik2

This game looks so good. Barely a month away and still no official word on an Infamous bundle. I hope they didn't can a bundle.

What else would it be?

I never quite understand people who complain about a game sequel or prequel being like previous games. What do you expect? Cod is just another COD, Battlefield is just another Battlefield, Thief is another thief, Uncharted is another uncharted, Sim city is another Sim city. Diablo is another Diablo. If it was something different surely it would have a different name right!?

desertdroog

Whatever the powers upgrades are, I hope we get some good chaining going on.

I really liked Cole's electric powers due to zapping baddies standing in water, which would affect everyone in the near area in water, or when they are standing on something metal, like a cage, zap the cage watch them do the shocking dance or between each other.

And I am curious to see what the overpowers are, like Cole's Ion Storm.

Shin-Ra

I want to find
Cole's coffin, but all that's inside is his AMP
and a bolt of lightning flies out into Delsin and ELECTRIC POWAS BACK BABY! I want my force push and cluster 'nades!

Winternet

Banned
Sorry for the mini bump but im pretty sure the embargo lifts today.
Any idea when? I think it's 10 AM but which time zone?

Thanks.

Top Bottom