• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has some atrocious loading times

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Because the act of shaking the controller to get your character out of the shack and playable is such a silly thing. Plus there is no UI loaded in at that time either. I would equate it to the elevators in ME 1. I could be wrong, but that is my guess.

*** Edit****

Reading further into the thread, it looks like it is pointed out that this only happens in the first level. In that case, unless there is some other obvious masking tricks being used, it seems like the wii version just has an easier time loading in the content. Probably because of a faster read speed on the drive and less memory intensive assets being used.

But Donkey Kong was standing in place ready to be moved while the DkCRTF level was still loading up. Then the clips skipped to gameplay so it may have been even longer than was shown.

Fingers crossed.

I hope that they just reset to the start w/o loading and that there's an option to replay a level right after finishing it. That would solve it.
Really hope checkpoints are removed and dying resets a time trial run this time. Was an enormous pain in the ass in Returns having to completely restart a level and sit through the loading times again because my time remained the same despite being sent back to the start of the stage.

Just tested 7 or 8 levels on this (my copy is installed to an external hard drive) and the load times were all between 11 seconds and 16 seconds, with most around the 13/14 second mark. Not sure if having a digital copy is making a difference, but either way it's not as if you're only spending a couple of minutes in each level (well, not until you've had a few playthroughs of it to learn the optimum routes, at any rate). As others have said, there are many other games with worse loading times than this. It doesn't even compare to Lego City Undercover.

Just tested 7 or 8 levels on this (my copy is installed to an external hard drive) and the load times were all between 11 seconds and 16 seconds, with most around the 13/14 second mark. Not sure if having a digital copy is making a difference, but either way it's not as if you're only spending a couple of minutes in each level (well, not until you've had a few playthroughs of it to learn the optimum routes, at any rate). As others have said, there are many other games with worse loading times than this. It doesn't even compare to Lego City Undercover.

Cool, thanks for the info.

kubus

Really hope checkpoints are removed and dying resets a time trial run this time. Was an enormous pain in the ass in Returns having to completely restart a level and sit through the loading times again because my time remained the same despite being sent back to the start of the stage.

Check my post a page back.
No loading when dying or restarting time trials. Also when you finish the stage there's a retry option.
Edit: Oh and dying will reset the timer. :)

VanWinkle

Nice, thanks!

Really excited for this game.

jimi_dini

No loading when dying or restarting time trials. Also when you finish the stage there's a retry option.

Perfect.
Maybe they even load the whole level into memory because of that.

I mean what's better
- just some loading at the start, but more loading when you die and also loading when you retry a level
or
- more loading on startup and no loading after that

Of course they could have loaded a bit and then streamed the rest of the level into memory while playing and keep it in there (that would allow retry/instant respawn when dying), maybe they even do that already as well. I wonder if it accesses the disc while playing the level.

Oh no what will I do while I wait for the game to load.

I love sarcasm like this.

There was a time when Nintendo designed their whole hardware around making sure there were no load times. N64 and Gamecube both made massive sacrifices in order to preserve fast, pretty much instant load times. Games like Mario Sunshine barely had any and that was loading pretty big worlds.

For a generic 2D platformer to have load times like this just screams either extremely poor hardware design or lazy developers.

Shiggy

Perfect.
Maybe they even load the whole level into memory because of that.

I mean what's better
- just some loading at the start, but more loading when you die and also loading when you retry a level
or
- more loading on startup and no loading after that

I think that makes it a lot better. Having no loading when choosing to retry is a big plus imo! Of course, it would be great to have no loading at all... But this is the Wii U and so this is probably the smartest option they came up with considering the limitations of the system.

Coolwhip

Banned
It's times like this I wish Nintendo didn't come up with the dumb tablet controller and put in a bit more tech for the price.

Dicer

Banned
I love sarcasm like this.

There was a time when Nintendo designed their whole hardware around making sure there were no load times. N64 and Gamecube both made massive sacrifices in order to preserve fast, pretty much instant load times. Games like Mario Sunshine barely had any and that was loading pretty big worlds.

For a generic 2D platformer to have load times like this just screams either extremely poor hardware design or lazy developers.

Lol, no...

Kriken

what-the-fuck-tom-delonge-gif.gif

Frodo

Thanks for the info.

jimi_dini

Games like Mario Sunshine barely had any and that was loading pretty big worlds.

Your memory fails you. Mario Sunshine had around 10 second load times.
And it had the advantage of Gamecube mini-discs and no HD assets.

I guess I shouldn't have wasted my time...

And still nothing on the gamepad.

They should've added something on the gamepad during the load, like playing through original Donkey Kong levels or a little load fmv or something.

tipoo

Banned
Didn't Nintendo traditionally hate load times? Part of why they went with cartridges on N64, and disks you couldn't fit as many textures on for the Gamecube (it actually had slower reads than xbox, contrary to popular belief, it just loaded less stuff)?

I really wish they included a HDD for installations where developers see fit on the Wii U.

Gleethor

Well at this point it's probably safe to say Retro have lost most of their talent to other studios.

Thread officially bananas. I do not think it is safe to say this at all, especially not based on loading times of all things.

Edit: why are there still two separate threads for this? Should they not be consolidated (or one locked) since both are discussing the same thing?

Nags

Banned
Duke Nukem Forever says hello :)

Last gen hardware says hello.
Third party with a bad rep says hello.
Game stuck in 50 years of dev hell says hello.
Wow. Such apt. So comparison.

I think we can and should expect better from a first party dev. This is Nintendo right? They stand for quality... right?

Gsnap

I think we can and should expect better from a first party dev. This is Nintendo right? They stand for quality... right?

And the game is suddenly not quality because of load times that have, in this very thread, been confirmed to be not so bad after all?

Lunar15

Yea it's real funny, 3 1/2 years to produce a 2.5D platformer with 30 second load times. Definitely the same company that did the Primes with effectively 0 load times.

Guess you didn't play MP3.

But yeah, there's no way this new, HD game (a first for the studio) would have more assets and textures and animations than any of their other games. It's just a platformer, right!? Thing isn't even that detailed, Retro should really be ashamed.

Yea it's real funny, 3 1/2 years to produce a 2.5D platformer with 30 second load times. Definitely the same company that did the Primes with effectively 0 load times.

Zero load times? oh how easily deceived you were by those elevators, occasional barren corridor/connecting rooms and slow doors.

Kriken

Yea it's real funny, 3 1/2 years to produce a 2.5D platformer with 30 second load times and mediocre visuals. Definitely the same company that did the Primes with effectively 0 load times and benchmark visuals.

Oh man, don't tell me you thought those elevators were just pretty visuals

Yea it's real funny, 3 1/2 years to produce a 2.5D platformer with 30 second load times and mediocre visuals. Definitely the same company that did the Primes with effectively 0 load times and benchmark visuals.

It's not funny, it's hilarious.

You mean a 24 second loading time for only the first level and substantially less for all the others???

Funny that no previews mention these "mediocre" visuals and in fact generally say the game looks very good.

0 load times in Prime???

Dam, you are on a roll(waggle or not, your choice).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I remember the days when Miyamoto and Yamauchi vouched for the N64 because of no loading times. How the times have changed.

Off-topic: Someone browsing this thread is in my EIS class right now, like two rows in front of me. Hi!

Nags

Banned
And the game is suddenly not quality because of load times that have, in this very thread, been confirmed to be not so bad after all?

Just caught up on that.
Well, seems to be a non-issue then?
Closed thread incoming?

What I'm trying to say is that there are many games with worse loading times.
Remember Motorstorm?

Frodo

Everyone will ignore the 11-16 seconds and the no-loading-at-retries posts, right?

They will read the title and come here claiming Retro lost it, right? it will spread into a doom and gloom thread and people will say Iwata needs to be fired. That Nintendo should go third party and the next Metroid should be on the PS4, right?

Just because an hyperbolic title. That isn't entirely true.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Definitely the same company that did the Primes with effectively 0 load times and benchmark visuals.

Pfffftwahahaahahaahaah! Did you even play Prime? It had tons of loading time just that they were hidden in the form of the elevators ride and that door that doesn't happen to open straight away.

Everyone will ignore the 11-16 seconds and the no-loading-at-retries posts, right?

They will read the title and come here claiming Retro lost it, right? it will spread into a doom and gloom thread and people will say Iwata needs to be fired. That Nintendo should go third party and the next Metroid should be on the PS4, right?

Just because an hyperbolic title. That isn't entirely true.

Which is why the title need to changed and the first post updated.

Sometimes I come into threads like this and wonder what fucking planet I've just landed on. Game has 15 second loading times and some people treat it like the Mayans were out by a couple of years...

Then there's calls of 'Lazy Developers' or 'Shit Hardware', associating lack of quality with load times, 'Mediocre Visuals' and all manner of other hyperbole.

Yes, I realise 'this is NEOGAF' but this is one of the most batshit crazy threads I've walked into in a while.

Right now, we haveTWO threads about those loading times, which as mentioned by me and other who have the game, are around 15 secs...
Can we at least merge them?:)

I'm going to go ahead and quote my own thread from last June where people laughed at me for bringing it up.

Donkey Kong Wii U Load Times (28 seconds for a level)

Like we say in my country, what do you want? Medal, Trophy or Pennant?

I would wait for confirmation if this happens on all levels. Bummer yes, not deal breaker, I was happy to endure the LCU loading times because the game was great.

Plus.........

The Hermit

Guys, GUYS!

Shut the fuck up!! Don't feed the trolls, ignore list is amazing and is working nicelly in this thread. Also...

This is the REAL news now.

Nags

Banned
What I'm trying to say is that there are many games with worse loading times.
Remember Motorstorm?

Never played it but I heard the horror stories. But yeah excessive load times are never acceptable in my book. It doesn't seem to be an issue for this game from some other comments in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom