• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has some atrocious loading times

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've learned a lesson over the years. Early demos are usually a pretty good indication of what to expect from the final product. Will things improve? Yes. However if load times were not a priority during the demo, don't expect them to be a priority in the final product either.

Morts

I was planning on getting the digital version so hopefully it won't be as bad (does that normally make a difference?).

Do we know how much space the game takes up?

Shiggy

He might actually really like the game but he never shows it.

Most of what I have seen is him nitpick the music.

Opinions are opinions but when everyone is gushing over David Wise(me personally, I am not a blind David Wise fanboy), he makes a point to take jabs at the music.

Genuine or not, he seems to like to create waves.

It's just my sense of him: just like an opinion, it's neither right nor wrong.

(however, liking the music in Returns and being in the minority in that regard, I guess you could say I strongly disagree that the music in that game is better than this game's---this soundtrack seems to add a ton more)

Perhaps he's just underwhelmed because it's just more of the same instead of taking the game into some new direction. It's not really pushing the Wii U graphically either. I can see why he's not pushing the game as the next big thing.

He might actually really like the game but he never shows it.

Then again it's Josh, he's usually overenthusiastic even when it comes to pretty average Wii U titles. So I don't know.

wsippel

Banned
Would it be possible to load part of a level while playing the same level (in a way Starfox Adventures did) or is it not possible for a "fast" game like this?

I absolutely despise loading times, even the ones in Rayman Origins were annoying to me. I loved how fast most of Nintendo's Wii titles were loading.
I assume the game does stream the levels, but a lot of stuff has to be in memory from the very beginning and everything needs to be set up, which obviously takes a lot longer as the assets are of much higher fidelity and the drive speed to memory capacity ratio should be worse than on Wii. It's easy to find out if there's a "restart level" option. If everything is in RAM, restarting should be nearly instantaneous. If it isn't, the game either streams or the stuff stored in memory changes during gameplay in such a way that it has to be purged.

Is that the same guy that said SM3DW was a really short game?

Yeah and he also said something like "Oh boy, all these 9s and 10s for 3D World, I am going to get a ton of shit for my review".

Never saw his review but he has a flair for the dramatic.

It doesn't matter anyway, I have nothing against the guy, just find him annoying.

Thought his A Link Between Worlds review was well expressed(haven't played the game yet though :[ )

TheExodu5

Banned
When it took 20 minutes to install the 2GB NSMB U, I knew there was a serious problem when it came to the Wii U and data migration. Hell, the system menu is still atrociously slow. This is a recurring problem with the Wii U, and I don't expect it to go away.

Expected MUCH worst

I expected a bit better but it's not a big deal to me really.

I guess it depends on each individual but I'd laugh if it made someone not want to get the game or made someone dock points.

I'm weird though, I thought the loading screens for Returns were fine.

Saya Brea

Banned
I play Skyrim on PS3 and my save is at nearly 20 mb. Load times bow down to me.

No, but for a platformer, that is pretty bad.

mf luder

Loading times only bother me if the game itself isn't fun to play. I saw a couple Sonic 06 comments in the YT video, loading was NOT the biggest problem from that game, the loading just felt worse b/c that game played like crap. I might change my purchase from physical to digital though if enough reviews/previews prove the loading times are cut down enough.

Also, as others have pointed out, it's probably level by level, this one was much shorter (About 16 seconds compared to the 24 second one in that video)

It seems they will vary quite substantially from level to level unless the first one is the odd one out.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, that pretty obvious reason of common sense was lost on him I guess.

It was pointed out by several people in the comments.

Why is he doing that? He is a known nintendo fan, maybe he is doing a sorta trolling thing to downplay the game until the actual reviews come out and people love it, or maybe he's just joking around.

Loading times only bother me if the game itself isn't fun to play. I saw a couple Sonic 06 comments in the YT video, loading was NOT the biggest problem from that game, the loading just felt worse b/c that game played like crap. I might change my purchase from physical to digital though if enough reviews/previews prove the loading times are cut down enough.

Also, as others have pointed out, it's probably level by level, this one was much shorter (About 16 seconds compared to the 24 second one in that video)

Yeah, kind of misleading video then if it's being selective.

That's very, very disappointing considering the 100% linear nature of the levels!

That they couldn't load the first part of the level and then stream the rest as you play borders on incompetence...

Daingurse

Whatever. Gives me time to grab a beer or pack my vape.

If you're going to play Donkey Kong, this is the way it should be done. The way every game should be played really.

Load times were pretty lengthy, not quite Sonic 06 level though. Sonic 06 makes other load times feel petty in comparison. One of the few benefits of playing that game, makes you more appreciative.

Kriken

Yeah, kind of misleading video then if it's being selective.

Honestly, I wouldn't call it misleading, it compares the entrances of the first level for both games which both have a short cutscene that probably makes it the longest loading time for each game. Although I'd like to see the 16 second loading vs an equivalent level in DKCR

1392154480957.jpg

Honestly, I wouldn't call it misleading, it compares the entrances of the first level for both games which both have a short cutscene that probably makes it the longest loading time for each game. Although I'd like to see the 16 second loading vs an equivalent level in DKCR

Maybe not purposely misleading but some could think every level takes that long.

I would unless I really thought about it referencing the old game.

Platy

Also, if this is atrocious, I wonder which is the word people should use to Sonic 2006's loading times

....or pretty much every 32 bit game =P

SmokyDave

Wii U load times were slow as shit from my experience with the platform. Just as well that Zombi U has fantastic load screens / music.

I can tolerate that kinda thing though. I came up loading my games from tapes.

andthebeatgoeson

Seems annoying to possibly atrocious. Why? If it lives up to it's predecessor, I'll be replaying a lot of levels. Did not do the progressive gaming thing as well as other Nintendo titles. Where you felt like you were prepared for the game and whatever new wrinkles were coming up. Always felt like you could never master it on a first one or two runs. After so many levels, you just survived and pushed on.

Yeah and he also said something like "Oh boy, all these 9s and 10s for 3D World, I am going to get a ton of shit for my review".

Never saw his review but he has a flair for the dramatic.

It doesn't matter anyway, I have nothing against the guy, just find him annoying.

Thought his A Link Between Worlds review was well expressed(haven't played the game yet though :[ )

I think he gave it 8/10.

He is a nice dude...but as you said "flair for the dramatic"

I have the game on an external HDD. I don't recall the exact length of the load for the first stage, but I can time it if people want.

I was thinking more along the lines of installing certain assets to storage so the game could theoretically load off of that and the optical media at the same time, like the PS3
has to

That looked like 20ish seconds? Kinda bad if that is happening a lot. Looks ok for just loading one level but when you gotta see that a lot for a platformer, it will get tiring.

I was planning on getting the digital version so hopefully it won't be as bad (does that normally make a difference?).

Do we know how much space the game takes up?
Digital version still takes several seconds to load and DK stutters during loading. But that's it. NO stuttering during gameplay, and NO loading if you loose a life.

Game is about 11GB? If I remember correctly.

There's like... 10 times more details in the world maps alone. Don't even get me started on the levels.

You didn't learn after 3D World?

The world map looks different, not better. It's pretty much the same ballpark, I don't think casual gamers not familiar with the series would be able to tell which of the images is the new game, lol
The only thing I learned from 3D World is that my expectations weren't low enough :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom