• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Man

BgbAlJcCQAA3wSe.jpg
Add "$400 Kinect-less SKU", "$300 DL-only SKU" and "Halo loyality".

zhao3gold

Banned
The Vita is making a comeback. With the upcoming release of the 2000 Slim, borderlands 2, and a bunch of other great games this year, sales will pick up.

I do think the possibility is very real however that the Vita will be the last handheld Sony ever releases.

Sometimes it is really weird to see gamers treat PS4 and PSVITA, both from Sony and both are the most powerful machine in their category, such differently....

driver116

Chasing in what regard? They made a billion dollars off XBL content waaaaaaaaaay before sony came close.

Never underestiste revenue streams and whose holding the corp PR behind those divisions

Sony made billion(s) of dollars on hardware/software before Xbox was even a thing.

Branduil

well in the 90s, playstation was huge, games were in 3d now, and sony was set to dominate with a dvd player and a games console. they were working to take over the living room and microsoft had to stop them from encroaching on their territory.

so sony dominated from 2000-2005 and then kind of shat the bed. the 360 had a lot more features than just games machine, easily continuing that trajectory and thought process from the early 90s.

and now we're here. streaming is a thing and live television isn't. sony made a gaming console and marketed it as such while microsoft turned the xbox into the all-in-one entertainment device they wanted for over a decade. microsoft sort of got caught up in fighting a dragon that didn't exist.

Did it ever exist? I mean Microsoft must have thought it did, but I don't remember ever hearing about Sony wanting to make the Playstation into a PC. Even with all the ridiculous hyperbole about the PS2, it was still only ever a video games console.

kinggroin

Banned
Sometimes it is really weird to see gamers treat PS4 and PSVITA, both from Sony and both are the most powerful machine in their category, such differently....

Both approach their target markets differently. Two markets that wants two different things from devices representing them.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Sony made billion(s) of dollars on hardware/software before Xbox was even a thing.

And lost most of it on the PS3 and other business endeavors. It still amazes me how far Sony has fallen these days, considering from 2000-2006 they were basically Apple before Apple became...Apple...

I should go to bed...

Polk

I'm not really sure what you mean. PC sales are going down BECAUSE folks are buying phones and tablets for both work of sorts and entertainment.
Plus computer bought 3 years ago is still more than enough for everyday use and will be enough for at least another year thanks to slower advancement of technology.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
so
18k < vita < 25k
123k < 3ds <130k
(based on creams too much comments)
assuming by dead ds and psp are both well under 1k

Hopefully, 3DS is at 120k: it would be slightly up YOY, with weeks adjusted. At least.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
well in the 90s, playstation was huge, games were in 3d now, and sony was set to dominate with a dvd player and a games console. they were working to take over the living room and microsoft had to stop them from encroaching on their territory.

so sony dominated from 2000-2005 and then kind of shat the bed. the 360 had a lot more features than just games machine, easily continuing that trajectory and thought process from the early 90s.

and now we're here. streaming is a thing and live television isn't. sony made a gaming console and marketed it as such while microsoft turned the xbox into the all-in-one entertainment device they wanted for over a decade. microsoft sort of got caught up in fighting a dragon that didn't exist.

Yea I kinda agree with your end point there.

I just like playing devils advocate.

A few years ago, the device was king.
Selling mahcines, selling products, was the business.

It's changed. The device is secondary, content is king.
Apple acts like selling iPads and shit is what they want, but what they really want is to control the way you purchase and consume your content. Ownership of ecosystems and distribution channels is the wave. Apple gets it. Vavle gets it. MS understands it but is struggling to sell it. Nintendo is starting to see it but leads with their own content first - they want to create and own the content, which is different than prioritizing a neutral distro platform - and build devices to suit their owned content, and Sony capitalized on mixed messages from competition and led with a voice about targeted hardware (gaming, core, early adpoter) that turned out to be wise st launch.

Long term is anyone's game, but dont underestimate those who can create robust content channels/platforms. Hardware sales is hugely important for growth but not the only factor

Edit:

Driver, I inadvertsnly also replied to your quote too :)

Hmm, that 2.7 games attach ratio. I stand at 15 Xbox One games bought. :D

Things are starting to show how they are, Microsoft needs to fix it. They need to get the price right (I only bought the One at launch because I scalped 250 € out of PS4s) and below PS4, $350 is the maximum they can aim for with the power difference. And they need to get their shit together with that annoying external power supply. Why on earth is that thing there in the first place, why is it sucking so much energy and why does it have to be actively cooled even when it's in standby?

But knowing Microsoft they will just hope for Titanfall, then say consoles never sell in summer and not do anything, then hope for their holiday lineup and a year from now we'll be at the same price point but with a 6 million lead for PS4. At least now this gen won't be so stretched out as the last, I expect the next Xbox in 2017.

Because it's a rushed product. The Xbox One's release date was set by the PS4. Similar to the launch titles, rushed because the date was set by an outside influence.

AniHawk

Did it ever exist? I mean Microsoft must have thought it did, but I don't remember ever hearing about Sony wanting to make the Playstation into a PC. Even with all the ridiculous hyperbole about the PS2, it was still only ever a video games console.

like john was saying, the all-in-one box probably does exist, but not the way microsoft thought it did. i think even the early 00s would have seen their plan for the xbox one work out.

the box that will do it will probably be small, affordable, and not very powerful. and maybe come with a monthly subscription. it would be the sort of device where games can be made for it, but aren't the main attraction.

driver116

And lost most of it on the PS3 and other business endeavors. It still amazes me how far Sony has fallen these days, considering from 2000-2006 they were basically Apple before Apple became...Apple...

I should go to bed...

You missed the point entirely. Congrats.

donny2112

the box that will do it will probably be small, affordable, and not very powerful. and maybe come with a monthly subscription. it would be the sort of device where games can be made for it, but aren't the main attraction.

So a streaming focused Steam box mixed with Roku.

Steroyd

Both Microsoft with its "control your TV" messaging and Nintendo with its "Now you don't have to share the TV!" were both so radically off the mark.

Nintendo's angle had a bit of merit to it, in an age where every individual member of the family can watch whatever TV programme they want on their individual devices can be a thing, it's not a reason TO buy the system just like Kinect TV stuff.

UberTag

How did the whole banking everything on Titanfall actually become a thing? It is bad to back a game now? Seems people conveniently forget that other games are coming out?
None of those other games are coming out anytime soon.
Unless you want us to talk about Garden Warfare.
Did you want us to talk about Garden Warfare?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Can anyone post a recap of creamsugar leaks / others estimates about hardware (aside from portables, since it's just been posted)?

Branduil

I should go to bed...

The console gaming industry is kind of insane. It's extremely volatile and expensive, with questionable returns for hardware manufacturers. Two of them are only able to stay in it because they are part of much larger corporations, and the other because it conservatively hoards the money from its successes and tries to avoid loss-leasing strategies.

Can anyone post a recap of creamsugar leaks / others estimates about hardware (aside from portables, since it's just been posted)?
Creamsugar has been uncharacteristically quiet.

We have some solid numbers or approximations for hardware though thanks to Aqua.

PS4 - 271K
XB1 - 141K
PS3 ~53.5K
Wii U ~49K
360 ~48.5K

EDIT: Oh, new cs leak:

PSV < 17K, so there's something off with that calculated result above.
So it turned out Sony's comment applied to home consoles only.

Still maybe at this stage? Creamsugar save us.

Steroyd

I should go to bed...

If they were Apple before Apple then the PS3 would have sold gang busters at the pricepoint it launched.

TheOddOne

None of those other games are coming out anytime soon.
Unless you want us to talk about Garden Warfare.
Did you want us to talk about Garden Warfare?
It is never not a good time to talk about Garden Warfare :p

My point was that seems kind of a put on by people to say that they are banking everything on Titanfall.

Nintendo's angle had a bit of merit to it, in an age where every individual member of the family can watch whatever TV programme they want on their individual devices can be a thing, it's not a reason TO buy the system just like Kinect TV stuff.

alot of households, especially the ones interested in a gaming console imo, already have multiple screeens for entertainment. At least one tv one pc multiple phones maybe a tablet extra laptop/pc if the kids are in highscool

Creamsugar has been uncharacteristically quiet.

We have some solid numbers or approximations for hardware though thanks to Aqua.

PS4 - 271K
XB1 - 141K
PS3 ~53.5K
Wii U ~49K
360 ~48.5K

Those PS3 & 360 numbers are terrible. It seems like the market has been fully saturated at this price point. Although I wonder would a price cut do much.

score01

Congrats to Sony. I think (so far) the success is well deserved. I think MS could pose a serious threat if they continue to cockblock good games coming to the PS4 (eg Titanfall)

3ds: < 130k
ps3: < 60k
360: < 50k
wii u: < 55k
wii: < 25k
vita: < 25k

Wii Fit U: <20K

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (total): <85K

Ranking among last-gen consoles is PS3 > Wii U > 360

Nintendo SW numbers in OP: Retail + Digital, no bundles

Frillen

The Vita is making a comeback. With the upcoming release of the 2000 Slim, borderlands 2, and a bunch of other great games this year, sales will pick up.

I do think the possibility is very real however that the Vita will be the last handheld Sony ever releases.

It's not making a comeback in the west. And if an almost 2 year old gimped port is its biggest title, then something is very wrong.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What the hell happened? I know January might be a slower month than December, but is that a HUGE drop off for every console?

I think consoles might disappear for the reason that the whole TV in the living room might go away.

People like having 1 screen all to themselves, not to mention that there's less and less incentive to buy a TV as the years go buy. People don't watch much live cable anymore and in the future all of our content will be like Netflix/Hulu based.

As soon as a "good enough" phone projector is made. People will lap that up. Chromecast is only the beginning

kinggroin

Banned
Congrats to Sony. I think (so far) the success is well deserved. I think MS could pose a serious threat if they continue to cockblock good games coming to the PS4 (eg Titanfall)

And if the Xbone still sells shit in spite of that, all these cock blocks would do is stifle competition and fuck our hobby up worse than it already is.

Branduil

I feel like Nintendo's biggest mistake was getting too innovation-happy and forgetting to keep the new consumers they attracted with the DS and Wii happy. Both the 3DS and Wii U were focused on needlessly expensive ideas that nobody really wanted, but worse than that, they abandoned what made their previous consoles especially attractive. The Wii U is obvious with how it ignored motion controls, but it's true for the DS as well; technically the touchscreen is still there, but it plays a much lesser role since they want people to focus on the 3D screen.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The thing we need to take away from this thread is that the PS Vita is selling at Wii-levels!

Majmun

Damn, the new Wii Fit bombed hard. I wonder how Mario Kart 8 will do. That's one of the few evergreen titles left from the Wii era.

NSMBU, WiiPlay U and WIi Fit U all underperformed or even bombed so far.

Heard the margins on the proprietary mem cards are pretty good for retailers. Might be their only incentive at this point.

I wouldn't doubt it if Sony gave them some incentive to keep Vita on shelves as well. It definitely is a product that should be pulled given its abysmal sales in the USA.

I really don't think Off TV had any merit. Sure, a few people find it useful, but you buy your big boy console for $350 to play games on the TV. And while you're playing, because of DVR, you're not taking up the time of someone's "must-see" program.

If you are going to play mostly off TV, you buy a cheaper 3DS (which happens to play pretty much the same experiences). If you get kicked off the TV often, you also have a phone because, as you point out, everyone already owns a personal device.

And this is assuming you hooked the Wii U up to the family TV and not your own TV, despite many American households having multiple TVs. And that is assuming you're even living with your family or someone that would even take up a main TV.

It's just circumstance after circumstance of how this feature would be used. And it's all based on a notion that there are no DVRs, that the TV is still important to the family, that there's only one TV in the house, and, even if this imaginary situation were true, you wouldn't just go on your phone, computer, or 3DS if momentarily kicked off the TV.

It's just a total clusterfuck of a unique selling proposition.

Top Bottom