• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Do we have HW estimates yet? (apart from PS4/Xb1)

A_Gorilla

Banned
You should stop inventing arguments that no one is making in order to make your own seem stronger.

Competition is when consumers have multiple appealing products to choose from. If one product dominates, that means there isn't competition.

No, wrong. If one product dominates its because the customers decided it was the best product to buy. It out-competed the other two products. This is how capitalism works, for better or for worse.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So few people want to have legitimate debate/conversation that in 52 pages, its super overwhelming to find someone to engage with....

I mean, are people really saying MS should pack up and go home when they are per unit moving more software? Identify a market and target it, let's try not to be so extreme. See big pictures, leverage opportunity when it can be indetified and then lay forth rational for reccomendations.

Everything is kind of poop right now but let's look at all realities at once

I think handheld sales are -41% YOY and console sales are +14% YOY. Not sure if that helps anything or confirms any Bloomberg statements or whatnot.

If I get this wrong please don't hold it against me because it's really late and I've drank too much and I'm going to bed now.

so:
Jan 2013-145k (3DS)+35k (Vita)+70k (DS)+10k (PSP)=260k
260k*.59=153.4k
now I don't know

edit: wait did the DS do anything back then?

ah DS did 70k (!), hold on
(also throwing in PSP for the lols)

AniHawk

So few people want to have legitimate debate/conversation that in 52 pages, its super overwhelming to find someone to engage with....

I mean, are people really saying MS should pack up and go home when they are per unit moving more software? Identify a market and target it, let's try not to be so extreme. See big pictures, leverage opportunity when it can be indetified and then lay forth rational for reccomendations.

i don't think the xbox division is going anywhere with ballmer and gates involved. it's probably the noise from investors becoming louder over the last few years that makes people think microsoft quitting the game/spinning xbox off into its own thing/selling xbox is a thing that will happen in the next couple of years.

so:
Jan 2013-140k (3DS)+35k (Vita)=175k
175k*.59=103.25k
I'm gonna take a stab at this month's split and say 3DS is 90k and Vita is ~13k

edit: wait did the DS do anything back then?

Yeah DS did like 66K in January 13 and PSP did like 10K.

DS and PSP are dead now, though...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Do we have a tie ratio for PS4 to compare?

As an XB1 owner, there is no positive way to spin the number for MS. Whoever at MS thought people will pay 499$ + Tax for a console was out of their fucking mind. The system is not moving with being readily available now.

They really did not learn anything from Sony's PS3 launch it seems. You can't price yourself out of your market, especially with weaker hardware.

XB1 should price drop of 399$ and they might be able to compete with Sony in NA.

erawsd

No matter how much some people want to claim the Wii's userbase doesn't "count," when talking about the growth of the console market, it absolutely does. The casual users were still buying software from the big publishers; losing 100 million of them is going to hurt a lot, and it's quite possible the loss could be more than that.

It doesn't hurt really all of them though mostly just Nintendo and Ubisoft.

Theres a list of every game that sold over 1 million units on the Wii that gets posted to prove that the Wii audience did buy tons of games. Theres like 50 games on the list and 40 or so were published or co published by Nintendo. The remainder is mostly music and party games like Just Dance.

Despite selling far more units than its competitors, most 3rd parties had already given up trying to sell anything to that audience.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
You should stop inventing arguments that no one is making in order to make your own seem stronger.

Competition is when consumers have multiple appealing products to choose from. If one product dominates, that means there isn't competition.

No. The "ideal situation" is for consumers to have multiple appealing products. That has nothing to do with competition. Altavista had total dominance over the search-market. Competition spawned Google. Google now dominates. Competition spawns several competitiors who try to find their niche in the market. Noone has been able to dethrone them yet but they keep on trying. Competition keeps the market fresh with new alternatives. They who don't manage to carve out a niche fails and dies out. New competition arise when they see markets or if they can see a new way of doing things.

It's the fault of Microsoft and Nintendo to not being able to create worthy competition. It isn't the fault of the consumers and Sony for wanting the same thing. Sony picked the right market. A market for a certain type of consumer. That consumer is happy today. Because competition in the 360/PS3-era spawned the PS4.

Branduil

No, wrong. If one product dominates its because the customers decided it was the best product to buy. It out-competed the other two products. This is how capitalism works, for better or for worse.

The issue isn't whether or not all the consoles sell the same, it's whether or not Sony even feels pressure to compete because the other two consoles are selling so badly. The PS2 generation resulted in 599 US dollars; it's doubtful they would make that same mistake again, but de facto monopolies rarely lead to good things for the consumer.

This is a sidebar to the bigger issue facing the industry though, which is a potentially massive contraction.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
i don't think the xbox division is going anywhere with ballmer and gates involved. it's probably the noise from investors becoming louder over the last few years that makes people think microsoft quitting the game/spinning xbox off into its own thing/selling xbox is a thing that will happen in the next couple of years.

Yup. Xbox will stay around. There are good bunch of articles about it (like a nice one on arstechnica). Knowing what I know, MS would have to kill xbox and maybe sell the branding if it came to that. There's no reasonable way of spinning it off considering the OS is basically Windows and a lot of the services on it are Microsoft products. Xbox is pretty much the company's only cool consumer product, and now people are suggesting work devices/software based on what they use at home, Microsoft NEEDS to be in consumer products. Lots of the investors making that noise are just focused on the short term profits, and couldn't care less. Xbox is also a fairly large division, and laying off thousands of employees (considered the company just bought Nokia and their tens of thousands of employees I doubt they have tons of open positions everywhere) would be terrible press. It isn't happening in the near term for sure. 10 years down the line, sure anything can happen.

Mung

No. If one product dominates it does not mean that there is no competition. It usually means that the product is more appealing in some way and is therefore winning out. That's how it is supposed to work. If the xbox one and Wii U did not exist, THEN there would be no competition.

ymmv

Banned

Y2Kev quote:

Sales parity is IRRELEVANT to the consumer. Sales differential is the RESULT of competition.

Competition results in a winner and a loser. It's not best for the consumer to have everyone on even footing "just because that's best for the consumer." You won't find evidence of this in history; you are depicting controlled markets and zombie corporations.

Here's how it should work: two systems took different paths to the market. That is true. The market will validate them both independently. Someone might lose and it's going to suck for some Internet group.

People are confusing the outcome of competition with the benefits of competition, which is where this silliness over sales comes in.

Mung

The issue isn't whether or not all the consoles sell the same, it's whether or not Sony even feels pressure to compete because the other two consoles are selling so badly. The PS2 generation resulted in 599 US dollars; it's doubtful they would make that same mistake again, but de facto monopolies rarely lead to good things for the consumer.

This is a sidebar to the bigger issue facing the industry though, which is a potentially massive contraction.

Well actually the ps2 generation led to the ps3, 360 and Wii. The competition was renewed in the next gen. 599 did not fly.

kinggroin

Banned

So let me extrapolate that to an extreme example. The Wii U continues to steadily sell like shit, but Nintendo finds a way to create software that targets the small user base, allowing for successful software results anyway.

So too, MS should continue to push to the gamers with games that the brand has become synonymous with, in order to carve out a profitable "niche"?

zhao3gold

Banned
Congrats to PS4. The most powerful console is deserved for this sales.

For Microsoft, they need think about how to improve the sales. The damages already made by the price, weaker hardware, worse version games. Even hardcore Xbox fans will be difficult to justify their purchase. 499USD = worse experience? No way...

It is not an easy task. If they drop the price soon, then all earlier adopters will be pissed. But if they don't do anything on the price, the situation will be getting worse and worse although it is safe to say Xbox One will be the 2nd best selling console in the new gen.

And if the situation continues, those investors will have more reasons to force MS to kill Xbox business.

Don Mattrick, this guy brought the success of Xbox 360, but then he destroyed Xbox One. The all-in-one strategy obviously is wrong as hell.

Yaoibot

I fucking said that initially! You're the one that came back with "overall market".

And 100+60 still wouldn't be growth.

But the Wii didn't really expand the market, it just attracted all the smartphone gamers for a few years then cratered. It did almost nothing for 3rd party software. It was an abberation, and we can see that with the Wii U where Nintendo went back to GC levels of decline.

Edit: I fully endorse all these "no consumer bailout" and "let the weakest, most poorly value-propositioned products die" comments to. Those people get it. This is our hobby, so separate yourself from your passion and ask if some of these horrific trends in the industry shouldn't just be allowed to die from consumer apathy. They should. That's how healthy economies work. I'm not going to run out and buy three X1s and 6 Wii Us just to do some sort of lunatic civic duty.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Do we have a tie ratio for PS4 to compare?

Fair.

2.7 vs 2.1.

Anihawk: good points. A matter of pride and commitment.
Corporate vision remains relatively intact these last couple transitions, and xbox serves as their best owned-device to bring that agenda to broad based consumers living rooms. Nothing will change on that front despite upfront loses till broad stroke strategy changes, and it hasn't. No immediate risk. No other device MS produces has the scale to bring MS owned content and distribution channels to consumer markets than xbox right now.

Unless they make a corp decision to reallocate toward b2b, I dont see much shift for now

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
so
vita ~17k
3ds 129k?

If that is correct, then 3DS has dropped 11k from last January? Doesn't look too dramatic?

edit: I mean, it's obviously not good. But a lot better than the combined 84k figure of 3DS/Vita that Shinra came up with earlier.

Into

The TV stuff is clearly a failure, they were so sure and adamant that talking to your television would be the killer app, its why they included Kinect in the first place, actual Kinect games are secondary.

Many people knew this months ago, TV is losing significance in the average family, not because TV sucks or TV is bad, but because we prefer to have our own personalized electronics, so your uncle can watch his Game of Thrones, your little sister can watch Sons of Anarchy, and mom can play her Farmville on her own phone or tablet.

The entire concept of "all in one entertainment center" is flawed, if this were the 1960 when the TV was the center stage of the living room in your average american family, then yes it might have worked.

The only thing on TV that is demanding high rates is live broadcasting, aka sports. Everything else is losing significance, and contracts are not picked up or picked up for a fraction of what they cost before. The whole thing is a deck of cards crumbling on to itself - and here is Microsoft actually banking on "TV".

/rant.

kinggroin

Banned
No way.
Microsoft paid bank for Titanfall, is paying a lot of the advertising to push it as a system seller for them. If it flops they still make money this way. They are RISK FREE.

Except that if sales are stifled harshly, or it flops, it could ruin the chances for a successful new franchise (and additional source of revenue).

Development costs for the PS3 going totally out of control resulted in 599 US dollars. Sony would have sold a $399 PS3 if they could afford to.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

The PS2/Xbox/GameCube-competition created the PS3/360/Wii-compeition that in turn created the PS4/Xbone/WiiU-competition that in turn will create the PS5/Xbtwo/WiiUtoo-competition. If Sony hasn't learned from their competitors and try to stay competitive we'll have something that isn't good. But Sony is hurting. They need their console business to do really well. They want to be the number one console. They aren't going to let Microsoft or Nintendo have the upper hand. They'll stay competitive. And with Amazon, Apple, Samsung and Google on their way into the market they can't afford to not be competitive. That's competition.

Fair.

2.7 vs 2.1.

Anihawk: good points. A matter of pride and commitment.
Corporate vision remains relatively intact these last couple transitions, and xbox serves as their best owned-device to bring that agenda to broad based consumers living rooms. Nothing will change on that front despite upfront loses till broad stroke strategy changes, and it hasn't. No immediate risk. No other device MS produces has the scale to bring MS owned content and distribution channels to consumer markets than xbox right now.

Unless they make a corp decision to reallocate toward b2b, I dont see much shift for now

Aha! I did do it right!

2.71 XB1 vs. 2.11 PS4.

so
vita ~17k
3ds 129k?

Think numbers are adjusted for January 13's 5 weeks. Or is it? Damn it I'm tired

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Jan 2013-140k (3DS)+35k (Vita) + 66K (DS) + 10K (PSP) = 251K

4/5 for 5 Week Jan 2013 = 200.8K

200.8K *0.59 = 118.472K

Jan 2014 = 3DS + PSV = 118.472K

93.472K < 3DS < 118.472K
0 < PSV < 25K

Aquamarine said:
Think numbers are adjusted for January 13's 5 weeks. Or is it? Damn it I'm tired
You don't have to stay up Aqua if you're tired... =( Thanks for the info so far though. I'm assuming 2013 Jan was the 5 week month and not this year's? My calculations are based on that.

A_Gorilla

Banned

As I said in another post, we are not going to the "Arrogant Sony" of 05-06 again soon, if ever. The company as a whole is a dire situation from which it may not recover even with the PS4's success.

foxbeldin

No way.
Microsoft paid bank for Titanfall, is paying a lot of the advertising to push it as a system seller for them. If it flops they still make money this way. They are RISK FREE.

Well, that may have seem like a good deal when they didn't know how well it would perform, but now that it looks like it could have been the new COD for this generation, they're probably regretting the deal they made. You can't be COD if you're not everywhere, that's why MS never managed to buy more than timed dlc exclusives.

Let's hope for them PS4 owners won't remember the douche move when they release Titanfall 2

well actually since I saw January 2013 3DS=140k elsewhere and DS=66k via Aquamarine:

new total for 2013 is 251k
251k*.8 (4/5 week adjustment)*.59=118.5k
93.5k<3DS<118.5k and Vita<25k

the consoles +14% comment implies that does factor in the extra week (it's actually down from last year otherwise)

kinggroin

Banned
But the Wii didn't really expand the market, it just attracted all the smartphone gamers for a few years then cratered. It did almost nothing for 3rd party software. It was an abberation, and we can see that with the Wii U where Nintendo went back to GC levels of decline.

That's a gross misinterpretation of reality, and I'd highly recommend doing some more critical analysis before we continue to engage in conversation.

Start here; in 2006 there were no smartphone gamers.

XX) Wii Fit U: <0.020 million (Creamsugar)

nintendo_crashnxkt7.gif

As an XB1 owner, there is no positive way to spin the number for MS. Whoever at MS thought people will pay 499$ + Tax for a console was out of their fucking mind. The system is not moving with being readily available now.

They really did not learn anything from Sony's PS3 launch it seems. You can't price yourself out of your market, especially with weaker hardware.

XB1 should price drop of 399$ and they might be able to compete with Sony in NA.

But look at this way. It is not like publishers are going to bail on the xbone like they bailed on the Wii. The xbone is very similar to the PS4 and the PC as far as development goes, so there is little reason not to make an xbone version of a title that you are making for PS4 and/or PC.
However, they may not optimize the xbone version as well.

Well, that may have seem like a good deal when they didn't know how well it would perform, but now that it looks like it could have been the new COD for this generation, they're probably regretting the deal they made. You can't be COD if you're not everywhere, that's why MS never managed to buy more than timed dlc exclusives.

Let's hope for them PS4 owners won't remember the douche move when they release Titanfall 2

I guess. I really think this is going to be one of those hyped one hit wonders. That sells based on the marketing campaign and it's pushed as the game to own on Xbox One. I think that they will get more sales this way.

Steroyd

No matter how much some people want to claim the Wii's userbase doesn't "count," when talking about the growth of the console market, it absolutely does. The casual users were still buying software from the big publishers; losing 100 million of them is going to hurt a lot, and it's quite possible the loss could be more than that.

I don't know, Nintendo and Ubisoft are the only two I thought really capitilised on the Wii's dominance the Activision's and EA's with their COD's and Fifa's would probably feel nothing of value being lost with the WiiU tanking.

Top Bottom