• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5: Road America Track as free add-on!

T.O.P

Banned
b96396e0-c8f1-4c95-94f9-ec203a344b2a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7QzGruthk

Forza Fans, the first track add-on for Forza Motorsport 5 has arrived: Road America is here! With today’s add-on update, you can now drive on one of the premier road tracks in the world for free if you own or buy Forza Motorsport 5. Longtime home to a host of racing series, Road America is legendary for its high-speed straights and its huge variety of challenging turns, all of which have been brought to life in spectacular detail on Xbox One. In fact, the only things you might miss from the famed Wisconsin-based circuit are the Johnsonville Sausages and some cheese curds.

Road America in Forza 5 will feature the main four-mile, 14-turn main circuit. For the first time in a Forza Motorsport, Road America will also feature four alternate ribbons that will test the limits of each player’s skill. In addition, the circuit has been integrated throughout the Career in Forza Motorsport 5. Players will be able to take part in races on the circuit in both the main Career events as well as Career bonus events which are available after a Mini-Career series is complete. In celebration of the track’s launch, players will also find new Road America-themed events in Rivals Mode and in the multiplayer lobbies.
One of the oldest and most distinguished of all the tracks in North America, Road America is a road course situated near Elkhart Lake in the scenic woodlands of Wisconsin. Much like Laguna Seca, Road America was conceived during a time when racing on public roads was becoming too dangerous to justify. Pressure from race organizers and government officials led to the abandonment of racing on the roads near Elkhart Lake, and ultimately to the construction of Road America in the span of just five months. The course opened in 1955, and the first race was won by legendary driver Phil Hill in a Ferrari Monza, after a hair-raising final lap that was a duel of nerves with fellow racer Sherwood Johnston’s Jaguar D-type — an auspicious sign of the exciting racing that would unfold over the years at the track.

Unlike virtually every course of its age, Road America has managed to maintain its original four-mile, 14-turn layout (except for the addition of a bend used during modern AMA races, which is now playable in Forza 5). Despite a major renovation of the track facilities in 1992, all of the elevation changes and sharp turns have been preserved, making Road America a course that must be carefully studied to master. Highlights includes Turn 6, located under the Corvette Bridge, where a small hill obstructs the view to the blind left-hander beyond, and the steep climb up the final straight that makes overtaking through speed alone a formidable struggle. Road America is host to many different race series, including the Trans-Am series, challenging drivers of a variety of cars and motorcycles with its sharp turns and hilly terrain.

Also releasing today is the Road America Booster Pack, featuring five cars to collect, drive and customize in Forza Motorsport 5. The five cars include the 2006 #2 Audi Sport North America R8, 1995 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, 1968 Ferrari 365 GTB/4, 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, and the 2009 Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series. This five-car pack will be available at no additional charge to Forza Motorsport 5 Car Pass owners. This bonus pack is available to Car Pass owners in addition to the six monthly DLC packs that Car Pass owners will receive through May 2014.

Finally a new track, gives me hope for some other ones that got cut from FM4 :D

Happy as hell, will give it a test drive later

Great that its free, I hope we get a few more free tracks as well although I won't bet on it.

Will give it a spin tonight if I go on my Xbox One

outsida

I need even more tracks or I'm going to uninstall the game. I love it but I've grown tired of racing the same tracks over and over again.

How is the track going to be intergrated into the game? Will it pop up in champioships or in the Free Race option? What about online? I won't be able to try it until tomorrow afternoon.

shandy706

Glad to see they're pushing through some free stuff. First the free Honda Pack, now a free track that's integrated into everything.

Good stuff!

HeliosT10

How is the track going to be intergrated into the game? Will it pop up in champioships or in the Free Race option? What about online? I won't be able to try it until tomorrow afternoon.

Good news on that front. Check this out from our Road America Add-On press release :)

Road America is being offered as a fully-integrated addition to the “Forza Motorsport 5” experience and will be automatically added into the Career events for the racing career. Players will be able to take part in races on the circuit in both the main Career events as well as Career bonus events which are available after a Mini-Career series is complete.

In addition, for the first time in the “Forza Motorsport” series, Road America will feature four alternate ribbons that will test the limits of each and every player. Players will also now find new Road America-themed events in Rivals Mode and in the multiplayer lobbies.

Doodis

Has anyone found a way to add this download online? I don't see any DLC options on the xbox online store. It would be nice to have it downloading to my console while I'm here at work.

B3N1

Has anyone found a way to add this download online? I don't see any DLC options on the xbox online store. It would be nice to have it downloading to my console while I'm here at work.

I can't find it from the Store on the console either. Probably it's not up yet. (UK Region)

To download just launch the game. It says there's an update and then downloads it. Am 80% into the download and in the UK.

If you've got the game running on quick restart you'll need to select it on the dashboard and choose "quit".

Ribbons? :/
I'm not sure I want to know. Doesn't it sort of defeat the point of using the actual track if they cease using the actual track? Admittedly it's a long lap but the signature bits of the track are all in different areas. There's one alternate that wouldn't be that much of a stretch-- there's an access road at the end of the first sector that could be used to connect back before the final turn but that would create a pretty boring oval of a lap; This is never used at the actual track.

You might as well hack apart Spa for convenience purposes if you want to offer "options" at long/scenic tracks. Grrr. There'd be a gigantic uproar if GT did something similar to this on any real track.

The track isn't DLC. It's part of the game's new patch that released today. Once you put the game in and let it update the track will be there automatically.

p3tran

Banned
Nice!
Maybe include it in Sunday's GAF race?

I'm not sure I want to know. Doesn't it sort of defeat the point of using the actual track if they cease using the actual track? Admittedly it's a long lap but the signature bits of the track are all in different areas. There's one alternate that wouldn't be that much of a stretch-- there's an access road at the end of the first sector that could be used to connect back before the final turn but that would create a pretty boring oval of a lap; This is never used at the actual track.

You might as well hack apart Spa for convenience purposes if you want to offer "options" at long/scenic tracks. Grrr. There'd be a gigantic uproar if GT did something similar to this on any real track.
uhmm what is your problem? its not like they dont offer a laser scanned version of the full track, and only the ribbons...?

Is the barely-mentioned booster car pack available separately for non-season-pass holders? Want the ZR-1 and Mustang.

Ribbons? :/

Well, kink vs bend makes the two real ones.

The service road between 5 & 13 is apparently used by a driving school to create a ribbon around the western half, so we get the other three from that.

there's an access road at the end of the first sector that could be used to connect back before the final turn but that would create a pretty boring oval of a lap; This is never used at the actual track.

Badned posted these videos in the OT when I made the same comments.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is the barely-mentioned booster car pack available separately for non-season-pass holders? Want the ZR-1 and Mustang.

Well, kink vs bend makes the two real ones.

The service road between 5 & 13 is apparently used by a driving school to create a ribbon around the western half, so we get the other three from that.
Ah ok. Had no idea Road America had any alternate configurations.

Great news though. Its such an underrated track. One of the best in the world if you ask me.

uhmm what is your problem? its not like they dont offer a laser scanned version of the full track, and only the ribbons...?
If it's a real track in any game even pretending to be any kind of sim you leave it as-is. Period.

Edit: Been noted that a small access road is occasionally used. So that's 1 ribbon.

Tell you what, if you think some of the free extra ribbons are an affront to your epic purity as a professional race driver then don't use them. You big jessies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, awesome news!

track looks great. its one of my favorite tracks for the race cars - so glad they have brought it back.

and free? looks like all the microtransaction cries were heard. hope there is more where this came from (even if we are asked to pay next time)

Seanspeed

Banned
yeah, that's just my opinion. Why be so dismissive? Is that one great, free track going to breathe new life into the game?

If it does for you, then I'm happy for you. Many of us burnt out on 14 tracks don't shit our pants because we can now say there are 15.
No one is shitting their pants. lol The fuck are you talking about?

Its a great track and its free. Its good news. I don't even think that's really arguable.

m23

yeah, that's just my opinion. Why be so dismissive? Is that one great, free track going to breathe new life into the game?

If it does for you, then I'm happy for you. Many of us burnt out on 14 tracks don't shit our pants because we can now say there are 15.

Who's shitting their pants?

Top Bottom