• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

You know, KyoAni has a contact form on their website. Not that I would suggest doing anything crazy like writing a polite email inquiring about their plans for licensing Hyouka internationally and then running it through babelfish into Japanese. (~_~;)

Dresden

You know, KyoAni has a contact form on their website. Not that I would suggest doing anything crazy like writing a polite email inquiring about their plans for licensing Hyouka internationally and then running it through babelfish into Japanese. (~_~;)

Just use this, guys.

親愛なるkyoaniさん

私はHyoukaに深く興味を持って、海外ファンです、放してください
また、不正なショーを作る停止

心から、

(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 1

That woman's name is Aina. Now I get it!

Man, I threw this in my backlog like.... a year ago, and now I'm just getting to it. I was interested due to the OVA released last year. Show number 2 being tackled with Kamen Rider v3!

CorvoSol

Just use this, guys.

The wiggly kirby at the bottom is what's gonna sell them on it, no doubt.

Kino's Journey 8

It's nice to see that Kino can do good to revolutionize a country just as well as she can shake things up in one. What I liked most about this episode is that Kino's response to the question Hermes posed early on in the show has been made clear:
She will help people, reasons or no.

Kino's Journey 8

It's nice to see that Kino can do good to revolutionize a country just as well as she can shake things up in one. What I liked most about this episode is that Kino's response to the question Hermes posed early on in the show has been made clear:

I was really surprised by this episode seeing it for the first time. Like, there was little to no darkness in this one. Given what this show can say about the different dark quirks of humanity, I liked how this episode focused more on the good traits. It felt like a nice cooldown episode after the action-packed two-parter. It showed just how nice a person Kino could be.

The NEXT episode on the other hand, is my favourite in the entire series. Can't wait to read your impressions on that one.

We should have a month where everyone sports an iM@S avatar.
My takane avatar is ready.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - 08

3r2JJVB.gif

So this probably has to be my favorite episode out of the entire series thus far. It's like they had a checklist of the things I've been yearning for and decided to throw me a bone for waiting so long:

Pure love? Check.
An outsider coming in between the OTP?
Check.
Nibutani
becoming jealous that someone else has Deko's attention?
Check.
Deko
getting sad that Nibutani isn't fighting for her love?
Check.
Bringing up
the kiss
that happened in the OVA? Check.
Nibutani
returning to her Mori Summer roots to save the love of her life?
Check.
Cementing DekoxNibu as the real OTP of Chuu2? Check.

KyoAni should seriously consider adapting a work focused on yuri. My god would it sell like hotcakes.
After Free i kinda want them to tackle "the other side" Well i sure want them to try at least .

HIgurashi Cry 13

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

CNET WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT WHY
Well yeah.

But at least things make a lot more sense now , right ?

Now it's time for the last part , after a couple of flashback episodes ...

Just use this, guys.
Not sure if this will work , do they even care about their overseas fans ?

Let's force a kid with a terminal illness to use his Make A Wish Foundation wish for a blu-ray release of Hyouka overseas.

We won't have to feel too bad about it, it's not like he/she'll bother us much longer afterwards.

CorvoSol

Let's force a kid with a terminal illness to use his Make A Wish Foundation wish for a blu-ray release of Hyouka overseas.

We won't have to feel too bad about it, it's not like he/she'll bother us much longer afterwards.

You MONSTER.

JoJo's 7

ZEPPELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just one of those nights.

CorvoSol

We have people who say 'lollicious' who think more than enough of the children.

See guys, this is what we get for going after the mirrored avatar's jugular. Woofington was like a pup when he came into this community, and now we've taught him a taste for blood.

This is what animeGAF does to people!

Jintor

Kill la Kill 20

This show is so insane. I love it.

The best joke was Gangorgorial... Gang... Big Guy banging his head on the ceiling when he was legit shook

See guys, this is what we get for going after the mirrored avatar's jugular. Woofington was like a pup when he came into this community, and now we've taught him a taste for blood.

This is what animeGAF does to people!

I can't get married anymore. AnimeGAF ruined me.

and I'm black. What a way to finish Black History month!

My mental image of you has completely changed. But then again anybody here would be surprised to see the face behind the moe anime girl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kaze Tachinu

eSNjH1Xl.jpg

So, other than the podcast chat I had with zeroshiki about the film when he watched it, I mostly went in cold and avoided the reviews and podcasts. I had some expectations in my mind - namely, the
train accident was much bigger in my head
, but what I was mostly curious about was the historiography or the historical fiction nature of the film.

When zeroshiki said that the story was really two biography's mashed together - as evidenced by the final dedication - the slippery idea of biography and history was always in the back of my mind. Although The Grandmaster challenges the viewer to think about who Ip Man truly was as a man, Kaze Tachinu is much more willing to let you believe whatever you want to believe about Jiro Horikoshi. Did he have this fated love that he met on a train? Was she the "wind" that pushed him to design one of the most iconic fighters of WW2? It's really up in the air, but only if you actually want to look into the actual facts behind the man.

As a retelling of history, I feel like the film rides a very fine line that I'm not sure quite works. Most of the film remains ambivalent about WW2 and the irony that faces many engineers - they want to create, to invent, to innovate, to progress mankind. But this progress comes at the cost of human lives, since war has been, and always will be, the primary motivator of technology. It's why, as Honjo points out, Japan is willing to starve it's people in order to get bombers and fighters in the air. And for the most part, the film trends fairly lightly. It brings it up as a philosophical point for Jiro to think about, and there's imagery of the consequences of not only his invention but of all inventions, but it's very broad.

Except for this one particular scene, where they
namedrop events in WW2 that the characters in the film would not know about but are meant for the audience
. It's a bit too on the nose for me and distracts more than confirms any kind of anti-war message. But given Miyazaki's politics, I suppose he had to put it in. It's not Fat Man and Little Boy, where the characters wring their hands about the destruction they're about to unleash. Although, to be fair, the nuclear bomb is a whole different level than a fighter plane.

One interesting thing that I enjoyed, but that my audience didn't, was the restrained nature of the relationship between Jiro and Naoko. I will say that the audience laughed when
the characters suddenly declare their love for each other
, as it is a moment that isn't built up in the traditional sense. And in that way, this film doesn't try to be October Sky or From Earth to the Moon or The Arrow or probably other countless texts about men getting together to do the impossible. This film doesn't set out to be obviously inspirational with roaring fanfare as men toil over their machines. At most there's the implicit declaration that love inspires, as Naoko "drives" Jiro (or is the wind beneath his wings :p), but there's no clear emotional hook to get you to tear up and cheer when the machine finally flies. That's not really what this movie is about.

One small thing that did bug me was how "The Wind Rises" kept being repeated over and over again. Wind is a clear visual motif that exists throughout the film and is used to great effect to show various events in Jiro's life - in fact, the final "wind" scene where you essentially
find out Naoko dies
is beautiful. The problem is that the characters also talk about wind rising over and over again, and it's just a bit of a drag.

Funny enough, after about half an hour, Anno's voice acting didn't bother me. It's mostly flat, but I guess in a way it also makes him sound "natural". Certainly you can hear the other characters "acting", while Jiro just sounds like a guy who is talking. If Miyazaki wanted the anti-anime seiyuu, then he made the right choice. lol

The other thing zeroshiki brought up was the idea that the film is semi-autobiographical in terms of being reflective of Miyazaki's life. As a man who has seemingly sacrificed a lot to continue making his art, and as a man entering the twilight of his life, you can certainly see some parallels. Certainly the film ends on a note that would be reflective of that.

I was personally curious to see how this would compare to From Up On Poppy Hill inasmuch as they're both very Japanese and historically contingent. Poppy Hill is certainly much more of a crowd pleaser - it tells a pleasant, relatable story, with a satisfying climax. Kaze on the other hand, is very much about moments and mono no aware. A Japanese audience might eat it up, but a North American audience? I really don't know.

Speaking of which...

The Wind Rises

There's no much to say about the dub, except that it's much more heavily localized than the subtitled version. If you watch these back to back, you'll see some minor changes that change the immediate meaning of the text, but keep the general meaning the same. I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

What I don't like is how, at times, the script feels the need to over explain certain plot elements. It's like they don't trust the English speaking audience to use their brain, so characters will drop lines that are essentially plot exposition. Thankfully, that stops once the film gets going.

Oh, also, the Italian and German characters have obvious accents. lol

Finally, and I don't know if Joseph Gordon Levitt was "inspired" by the Anno performance, but he is equally dry as Jiro... but whereas Anno somehow makes it work, I don't think Levitt is as good at it. It sort of rides the line between being a bit flat and a bit actor-ey that I can't really explain.

---

One final note is that since I was basically in the front row for the English screening, it was funny to see "wonzo face" in some of the long shots. Even Ghibli has to use those I suppose.
The more interesting thing was just being able to see the lines in the art. You can see them "vibrate" when characters and objects move because clearly the animators are drawing each cell. It's really neat to see and something I didn't really notice when I sat in the middle during the Japanese screening.

---

Anyhow... I still think I stand by Madoka Magica Rebellion as my favourite anime movie of 2013. I will say Rebellion is a better "fan" or "anime" film, while Kaze Tachinu is a better film. Of course, I am expecting big things from Kaguyahime based on hype. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Terminal cancer, amirite? huehuehuehuehuehue

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 8

Thing for me was that Kino had no real intention at all of revolutionizing this country. She just thought that
what she was doing was amazing stuff and she wanted to see this flying machine in action for herself.

Also, if by chance you happen to have been watching the dub, the girl (name escapes me) was voiced by Luci Christian iirc, who I think I remember you are fond of.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So has The Wind Rises released in the US? I read in Wiki it's supposed to have widespread release today, but I don't see it listed in theaters soooo....

It might still be limited, but I'm not sure. I had to go to the city to watch it... but the flip side is that they are offering it in both languages, which is a nice surprise.

If it's a limited release, then I'm a bit upset. I shouldn't be since well.... I haven't been to a theater for a year or more, but still!

CorvoSol

Thing for me was that Kino had no real intention at all of revolutionizing this country. She just thought that
what she was doing was amazing stuff and she wanted to see this flying machine in action for herself.

Also, if by chance you happen to have been watching the dub, the girl (name escapes me) was voiced by Luci Christian iirc, who I think I remember you are fond of.

I'm not watching it, but now I wish I was.

Melody of Oblivion 3

It's like if Arjuna replaced its violent crusade against humanity with really, really cheap fan service.

LU KEEE KEEEE

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate
No, this is not a screenshot of a video game, this is Bayonetta the anime. After a seemingly unnecessary introduction monologue that establishes facts only relevant to much later plot points the titular character Bayonetta flips around a cathedral, crushing both enemy angels and my perception of both gravity and perspective as she seemingly skids through the air from one enemy to the next. All of this is set to an odd but slow piece played on the church organ by a black man who may or may not be a ghost, as the organ is sometimes drawn with the keys pressing down with nobody playing it.

Cue Bayonetta's clothes ripping off as she makes sexual advances at the camera, the provocative gestures aimed at nobody but the viewer providing only mild discomfort. Between the flailing and perfunctory action sequences (and sometimes inside of them), the story is told through tedious exposition that makes everything feel painfully slow. Everything here is extremely overt as though the story of the video game was indecipherable. As a result characters flatly offer long winded explanations of almost everything, and there's little back and forth between characters when it comes to dialogue.
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate is at its best when its borrowing some of the stellar elements from the game, but the hearing the theme song come up feels stale, and almost irrelevant this far out from playing the game back in 2009. The production on this movie feels sloppy and uncreative, and the fights never really come together while the blabbering story constantly blares in the background. This will really only appeal to people with knowledge of the source material, but the constant searching the movie does of the amnesic Bayonnetta's past only leads to answers fans already know.
Clocking in at an hour and a half this movie is waaaaaaaaaaay too long for its own good for what little it has to offer. Its attempts to titillate feel pathetic, the action sequences are all fairly weak, and the story and dialogue are a constant drag without any of the characters really standing out. Chock full of bad effect work and some pretty alarmingly bad moments of CG it's hard for this movie to really stand up as an action movie, and in retelling the events of the game the story has lost most of its personality.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It could be wider, but still limited. I wouldn't be surprised, given that this really isn't the Lego movie or Frozen.

Def still limited. I live in a state of 11 million people and there are only two theaters showing it in a 50 mile radius of me, and both are little arthouse places 40+ miles away. The megaplexes around here that showed Ponyo years ago all passed on this.

cajunator

Banned
I'm just glad he watched whatever horrors were in that episode BEFORE watching Kino episode 8.

Now he'll be able to lift his spirits after they have been darkened as opposed to the other way around.

And then his mind will explode when he watches episode 9.

yeah that eppy should make him feel better.

Kino no Tabi 7

Wow. That's definitely one way to end a tournament.

I think all the other countries in the world should probably be happy that Kino generally follows a non-interference policy. Because when Kino decides to interfere...god help you all.

Do NOT fuck with Kino. Ever.

Def still limited. I live in a state of 11 million people and there are only two theaters showing it in a 50 mile radius of me, and both are little arthouse places 40+ miles away. The megaplexes around here that showed Ponyo years ago all passed on this.

Really? Damn. I guess I'll be forced to wait for a wider release, if it even occurs, or for blu-ray.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, no Disney-proper to push this. It feels like an "indie" film anyway.

I'm about halfway through Night Raid 1931 and it has yet to jump the shark. So at least half of the show is decent. Not amazing by any means, but for a period piece x-men show it's good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strike the Blood 20

This show is usually pretty dumb, but goddamn this is the dumbest it's ever been. Every single character in this show that isn't Natsuki or Astarte is a huge idiot. I rolled my eyes so hard so many times during this episode they nearly fell out of my head.

"Derp Kojou I'm gonna go searching around the OBVIOUSLY DANGEROUS MONASTERY for a dumb earring with nobody around to protect me", "Herp Kojou we need to go to the hotel district where you can obviously get the wrong idea about things AGAIN even though that could be prevented if I just TOLD YOU WHY WE WERE GOING THERE", "Derp Kojou you saw my tits for the 100th time, this is so embarrassing even though it's happened SO MANY TIMES", "Herp oh look Asagi died except not because lol her finger was touching part of the core and Nina or whatever her name is probably merged with her and is keeping her alive because shit's obvious and we're not gonna kill off one of Kojou's harem a main character"

At this point I just kinda want this show to be over.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm about halfway through Night Raid 1931 and it has yet to jump the shark. So at least half of the show is decent. Not amazing by any means, but for a period piece x-men show it's good.

Do they keep doing the big ass disclaimer at the beginning of the episode?

The whole Japanese occupation premise broke my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom