• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/10 - 3/16

Yisatsu

Neo Member
Tales O.S.2 should stop that fall before Mario Kart, but I don't know when it arrives.

Isn't the golden week in the second half of april? (not sure)

donny2112

gtj1092 said:
But no comment from you or donny about the "yay metriod" posts.

There is a distinctinve quality about the three Yakuza 3 posts I quoted. (Notice how I didn't quote all posts about Yakuza 3.) It is the same quality repeated quite often for Uncharted in PAL threads. I only see one post here about Metroid Prime 3 with that same quality.

gtj1092 said:
I wonder why that is?

Because I can recognize similarities in posts beyond the mentioning of a game's name.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
donny2112 said:
There is a distinctinve quality about the three Yakuza 3 posts I quoted. (Notice how I didn't quote all posts about Yakuza 3.) It is the same quality repeated quite often for Uncharted in PAL threads. I only see one post here about Metroid Prime 3 with that same quality.

I take it you don't read for context or content, often.

Because I can recognize similarities in posts beyond the mentioning of a game's name.
Ding ding ding!

The pattern is obvious if you've been following MC threads for the past two years or more.

The regulars in here that follow trends and patterns for that long period of time are more likely to not be "teh biased fanboi omg" you know. Those types usually don't last long here. :p

Busaiku

Gaborn said:
You're right though, the Wii looks like it's on a slow decline. Perhaps that just means that people aren't as feverish about it as last year? I mean, considering it's still more than doubling the competition.
It's only been going down for about the past week (it went up before then), it's been going up and down throughout the year so far. But all the systems are going down as well, it's just that time of year.

donny2112

Famitsu Mar 3-9

1. PS3 Yakuza 3: Kenzan! 177897 / NEW
2. PS2 Gundam Musou Special 55372 / 203500
3. WII Wii Fit 50118 / 1639145
4. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 47241 / 1445383
5. WII Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 34151 / NEW
6. NDS Soma Bringer 17158 / 71097
7. WII Wii Sports 16476 / 2798041
8. PSP Musou Orochi 14985 / 94957
9. NDS Doraemon: Nobita to Midori no Kyojinden DS 14541 / NEW
10. WII General Knowledge Training TV 13893 / NEW
11. NDS Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends 11688 / 67279
12. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 10763 / 1658831
13. WII Family Ski 10395 / 84264
14. NDS Mario Kart DS 9844 / 2877505
15. WII Wii Play 9840 / 2229731
16. NDS Etrian Odyssey 2: The Royal Grail 9816 / 118007
17. NDS Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 9506 / 255690
18. PS2 Nobunaga no Yabou: Kakushin with Power-Up Kit 9465 / NEW
19. WII Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 9420 / 65216
20. NDS Mario Party DS 8544 / 1634508
21. NDS Akagawa Jirou Mystery: Yasoukyoku 8051 / 21714
22. 360 The Idolm@ster: Live for You! 7542 / 55104
23. NDS Chou-Gekijou-Ban Keroro Gunsou 3: Tenkuu Daibouken de Arimasu! 7457 / 22738
24. NDS Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season 6084 / 62361
25. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 5735 / 5109000
26. NDS Observation Training 5665 / 809915
27. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 5445 / 4607978
28. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 5192 / 444647
29. NDS Prof. Layton and the Devil's Box 4971 / 770406
30. NDS Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary 4965 / 195515

*. PS2 Naraku no Shiro 4200 / NEW
*. WII Family Jockey 4200 / NEW
*. PS3 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 3800 / NEW
*. NDS Hana to Taiyou to Ame to - Owaranai Rakuen- (Flowers and Sun and Rain …) 3600 / NEW
*. PS2 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 1700 / NEW
*. WII Nobunaga no Yabou: Kakushin with Power-Up Kit 650 / NEW
*. NDS Jigsaw Puzzle DS: DS de Meguru Sekai Isan no Tabi 500 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Feb 4-10, 2008
Feb 11-17, 2008
Feb 18-24, 2008
Feb 25-Mar 2, 2008

Minsc

Gold Member
Innotech said:
what are you talking about? The wii hasnt been in a decline. Unless you mixed up 2007 with 2008 or something, in which case it STILL isnt in a decline. Honestly not sure what youre seeing.

I suppose if I wanted to be more accurate, I could have said the Holiday/Brawl effect is dampening down. But call it what you will, from that graph, the Wii seems to be returning to the ~20-30K a week levels it was at for a few months prior to Wii Fit being released. There seems to be a couple things to prevent it from falling back that low for now, but the Wii by name alone can't sustain 50K a week anymore I think.

This isn't the only thing I got from the chart Gaborn, it's just what I got from reading PantherLotus's comments that went with the chart.

Busaiku said:
It's only been going down for about the past week (it went up before then), it's been going up and down throughout the year so far. But all the systems are going down as well, it's just that time of year.

That may be accurate if you observe the smaller picture of the past, but it's not been able to stay steady since after the new year, and has generally been on a decline with no indication that is has finished falling yet. The effects of Golden Week / Mario Kart will prolong such a time, but I'm not sure the Wii's settled at a higher point than the 30K or so it was averaging for a few months back before Wii Fit.

Gaborn

Busaiku said:

Oh, I agree actually, but I also think it's possible in Japan at least that the Wii has settled more to "normal" console patterns of declining post holiday, something that the Wii in the US is clearly NOT doing judging by February's NPD numbers. That's what I'm getting at really. It IS declining slightly on average overall but you'd EXPECT that with most consoles, whereas last year Nintendo sold just about literally EVERYTHING they shipped to Japan, and it looks like it will be not QUITE everything this year. Which shouldn't exactly worry Nintendo considering how dominant Nintendo is in Japan (and worldwide) even with "lesser" numbers than last year

donny2112

Minsc said:
But call it what you will, from that graph, the Wii seems to be returning to the ~20-30K a week levels it was at for a few months prior to Wii Fit being released.

I don't think it'll get that low. If you notice, last week was an increase from the week before. Nothing to write home about, but it shows that it's not on the fast track to the bottom. I wouldn't expect it to get below 40K anytime soon, and it'll likely just do a lot of little oscillations over the coming weeks.

Gaborn said:
whereas last year Nintendo sold just about literally EVERYTHING they shipped to Japan, and it looks like it will be not QUITE everything this year.

It's been that way since August 2007, though. There hasn't been a Wii shortage in Japan, since then.

kswiston

donny2112 said:
I don't think it'll get that low. If you notice, last week was an increase from the week before. Nothing to write home about, but it shows that it's not on the fast track to the bottom. I wouldn't expect it to get below 40K anytime soon, and it'll likely just do a lot of little oscillations over the coming weeks.

Even if Wii goes below 40k, it doesn't mean anything. PS2 had plenty of weeks below 40k in its prime.

donny2112

kswiston said:
Even if Wii goes below 40k, it doesn't mean anything. PS2 had plenty of weeks below 40k in its prime.

I'm not setting 40K up as some line that the Wii can't cross and still be selling well. I just don't think it'll drop that low before Golden Week.

PSP 57,651
Wii 55,845
DS Lite 53,266
PS3 14,934
PS2 9,930
Xbox 360 1,744

Gaborn

donny2112 said:
It's been that way since August 2007, though. There hasn't been a Wii shortage in Japan, since then.

I knew it had been a few months since the shortages really ended in Japan, guess I didn't know it was quite that long. Still though, my basic point is the same, and whatever downward fluctuation the Wii might have with it's sales for a bit... I'd be a LOT more worried at this point if I was Sony than Nintendo, because Nintendo still has a rather significant sales lead AND is still outselling it, while the PS3 is still in the tank.

Vinnk

donny2112 said:

Yup anyone who wants one can get one at almost any store (from time to time, like during the launch of Wii Fit and to a lesser extent, SSBB, some of the smaller stores would sell out). Same can be said for DS lite, PSP, Xbox 360, and 40gb PS3.

However if you want a 20 or 60 GB PS3 you are out of luck.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gtj1092 said:
But no comment from you or donny about the "yay metriod" posts. I wonder why that is?

You've figured it out. donny2112 has no interest in sales. He's just a Nintendo fanboy disrupting meaningful discussion in these threads and furthering his own agenda.

Thanks for cracking the case. Hopefully the mods will swing the banhammer and purge this reckless jerk from the otherwise pristine and enlightened Media Create threads.

Come on. You've only been here for a month, but you could at least view someone's post history for a few seconds before you start alleging some sort of hidden agenda.

Defuser

Vinnk said:
Yup anyone who wants one can get one at almost any store (from time to time, like during the launch of Wii Fit and to a lesser extent, SSBB, some of the smaller stores would sell out). Same can be said for DS lite, PSP, Xbox 360, and 40gb PS3.

However if you want a 20 or 60 GB PS3 you are out of luck.
Find out the hype for MHP2G.

donny2112

JPNConsoles-24.png

JPNHandhelds-26.png

Vinnk

Defuser said:
Find out the hype for MHP2G.

Very similar to Crisis Core: FFVII. Lots of posters, flyers, advertising at convenience stores (where you can also pre-order it). Not as much TV exposure as I expected, but I guessing that will come next week. Lots of hype from gamers as well. It is clear Capcom expects a big opening.

Rolf NB

Minsc said:
Looking at this graph, it appears that the Wii has been on a steady decline, does it have anything to prevent it from continuing back to the depths from which it rose not too long ago? I guess Mario Kart will help for a little while if that's due in Japan next month.

It seems more like to see the Wii continue to drop based on that chart, depending on how many weeks until something new is out (or that Golden Week, I forget when that is), we may see it get to 30K or below I think.
Nah, that's just normal seasonal trend. Everything will continue to go down for a while. The lowest point of the year is usually in May, June or July.

Also note that Wii's early 2007 performance was heavily supply-constrained by all accounts, so it is premature to conclude that Wii Fit (or any other new software released in 2007) has failed to elevate the base level of sales. We'll only be able to see fairly compare against unconstrained 2007 results in the fall and winter.

taconinja

So I've noticed a site or two has posted the hardware numbers. Not sure what the etiquette is here, and I don't want to step on toes. Is it okay to just post a link?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
taconinja said:
So I've noticed a site or two has posted the hardware numbers. Not sure what the etiquette is here, and I don't want to step on toes. Is it okay to just post a link?

donny posted them on this page

chris0701

PSP 57,651 ←53,924
Wii 55,845 ←57,068
DS Lite 53,266 ←48,658
PS3 14,934 ←21,008
PS2 9,930 ←10,429
Xbox 360 1,744 ←2,891

Busaiku

Ooh, PS3 dropped back fast this time, but I guess it's to be expected since it didn't see that big a bump. Guess whoever said those who bought MnG, Musou (Gundam too), DMC, and whatever else I'm forgetting did make up a good portion of Yakuza's buyers.

31./28. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Sega)
32./25. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
33./30. [NDS] Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side 2nd Season (Konami)
34./26. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven: Ubiquitous Evolution 2008 (Konami)
35./00. [PS3] Winning Post 7: Maximum 2008 (Koei)
36./21. [NDS] Keroro Gunsou 3: Adventure in the Sky! (Bandai-Namco)
37./34. [NDS] Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (Level 5)
38./39. [NDS] L, the Prologue to Death Note: Rasen's Trap (Konami)
39./29. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
40./49. [NDS] DS Literature Collection (Nintendo)
41./37. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
42./45. [NDS] Doraemon Baseball: Dramatic Stadium (Bandai-Namco)
43./38. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
44./00. [PS2] Haruhi Suzumiya's Wonderment (Banpresto)
45./16. [PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Kakushin w/ Power-Up Kit (Koei)
46./46. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
47./40. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square-Enix)
48./47. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
49./43. [NDS] Final Fantasy IV (Square-Enix)
50./31. [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)

NDS - 27
WII - 10
PS2 - 7
PSP - 3
PS3 - 3

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. PSP   -    57,651 |    53,924 |   918,997 |  8,520,591
2. WII   -    55,845 |    57,068 |   944,254 |  5,560,414
3. NDS   -    53,266 |    48,658 |   926,177 | 22,099,228
4. PS3   -    14,934 |    21,008 |   322,510 |  1,964,186
5. PS2   -     9,930 |    10,429 |   146,810 | 21,073,847
6. 360   -     1,744 |     2,891 |    44,092 |    551,433

s_20080310.png

Seems the Wii's baseline now is 50k~, I wouldn't worry much since it's still selling more than 3:1 with the PS3. Same as WiiFit, I hope SSBB ends up beating the PS3 LTD aswell in the near future.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Minsc said:
Looking at this graph, it appears that the Wii has been on a steady decline, does it have anything to prevent it from continuing back to the depths from which it rose not too long ago? I guess Mario Kart will help for a little while if that's due in Japan next month.

It seems more like to see the Wii continue to drop based on that chart, depending on how many weeks until something new is out (or that Golden Week, I forget when that is), we may see it get to 30K or below I think.

At first when I read this I assumed you were joking but after you attempted defending this post, I have to assume you're serious. Mind if I try?

[ ] The Wii appears on a steady decline? Compared to what? To its sales during the new year sales rush, or to itself year on year? If you mean they're declining compared to the first week of the year, you'd be correct there, Sherlock, considering that is one of the top two weeks of the calendar year every year. If you mean they're declining year on year, I strongly disagree but I know opinions aren't really a factor compared to raw numbers. It is actually ahead year on year.

Either way, you clearly missed the ENTIRE point of the chart itself, which was completely intended for preventing people from making the same horrendous conclusion you just made: the sales year-on-year are so close that it would be impossible for an analyst or forecaster to predict a wild deviation from those sales outside of major releases. Instead, you looked at the chart and came up with the EXACT opposite.

[ ] Using this chart for predictive purposes is extremely dangerous, but using non-descript words like "drop" is completely useless. What do you mean that the Wii will continue to drop? Again, do you mean compared to last year or do you mean compared to the previous several weeks? Defending both points on my part would be redundant: sales year-on-year are so close that one couldn't expect anything else (barring a major release).

[ ] If you wanted to interject something about supply constraints or bigger titles at different times, you might have a point. However, I'll let the charts do the talking:

mc-extremelyclose-68.jpg

And because I thought that the above chart isn't exactly obvious to every person on the planet, I aligned each console's YTD with the previous year for shocking results. Like. Whoa. Anyone care for a further debate?

mc-extremelyclose-YOY-68.jpg

[ ] So what would you guys use these two charts for? I'd be careful using them honestly, as forecasting includes many other factors (including current momentum and pending releases) but they do clearly show that both consoles are mirroring last year's results.

Cheesemeister said:
Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
[B]1. PSP   -    57,651[/B] |    53,924 |   918,997 |  8,520,591
[B]2. WII   -    55,845[/B] |    57,068 |   944,254 |  5,560,414
[B]3. NDS   -    53,266[/B] |    48,658 |   926,177 | 22,099,228
4. PS3   -    14,934 |    21,008 |   322,510 |  1,964,186
5. PS2   -     9,930 |    10,429 |   146,810 | 21,073,847
6. 360   -     1,744 |     2,891 |    44,092 |    551,433
I really don't see those proportions changing anytime soon. They'll probably stay that way for the remainder of this generation.

Fredescu

PantherLotus said:
So what would you guys use these two charts for?
To prove that 2008 is the year of the PS3. Everyone knows it anyway, and as Ethelred keeps saying, the plural of anecdote is data, so all data supports the theory that 2008 is PS3s year, including your charts. How you could argue otherwise I just don't know. From your data I've derived a handy chart:
2008.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Fredescu said:
To prove that 2008 is the year of the PS3. Everyone knows it anyway, and as Ethelred keeps saying, the plural of anecdote is data, so all data supports the theory that 2008 is PS3s year, including your charts. How you could argue otherwise I just don't know. From your data I've derived a handy chart:
2008.jpg

:lol :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fredescu said:
2008.jpg

ani-hamigaki-brush.gif

Jirotrom

seriously... why the heck is the psp selling so well... please tell me it really isn't just because of piracy? I'm not trolling, Im just surprised that its still selling so well when a select few games on the system sell.

Lobster

Banned
PantherLotus said:
why is the thread so slow this week? first people kept bumping the old one and now nobody wants to post?

No interesting sales :\

Everything thats supposed to sell is selling.

The only thing interesting happening is the 11-30 spots..and we can't really talk much about them :\

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jirotrom said:
seriously... why the heck is the psp selling so well... please tell me it really isn't just because of piracy? I'm not trolling, Im just surprised that its still selling so well when a select few games on the system sell.

The best selling game of the year comes out next Thursday.

Top Bottom