• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/10 - 3/16

Laguna

Banned
Airkiru said:
Extremely surprised, I thought it would get a little bit more attention than 4k.

Even with a crazy pricing (5100yen, SMG costs 5500yen) you should expect more. But how on earth do they think that Ninja Gaiden can sell for the same price as console Nintendo games or a SQEX handheld game?

This week will be very interesting with many new entries. Sim City 2 DS :D

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales
NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage - 127k
PS3 Armored Core: For Answer - 44k
PSP Tales of Rebirth - 38k
WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! - 30k
NDS Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame - 27k
NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi - 26k
NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land: Kachinko Gachinko Daikatsugeki! - 19k
PSP Mugen Kairou (echochrome) - 16k
360 Armored Core: For Answer - 16k
NDS Time Hollow: Ubawareta Kako o Motomete - 14k
NDS Chou Nekketsu Koukou Kunio-Kun Dodge Ball Bu - 10k
NDS Kekkaishi: Kokubourou Shuurai - 8k (just 10-20% sell through)
360 Army of Two - 8k
PS3 Army of Two - 6k
NDS Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword - 4k
NDS Bangai-O Spirits - 3k (<10k shipment)

What the heck happened there?

ethelred

Laguna said:
DS am cry... Konami fails again on DS...

Yeah, Time Hollow's sales are certainly disappointing. First Afterschool Boy, then Contra, now this. They just can't seem to find success, even in genres that other publishers have done tremendously well with on the DS.

Laguna said:
And Sega kiddyfying and changing the genre of your niche franchises won´t help either (Sakura Wars).

They didn't "kiddyfy" and change its genre -- it's a spinoff, that's all. And it didn't perform all that poorly, by the by. 27k sales on the first day of a series where the most recent two installments were Sakura Taisen 5 on PS2 (144k LTD) and Sakura Taisen 1&2 on PSP (21k LTD) seems like a pretty positive result.

Laguna said:
The biggest dissapointment is Ninja Gaiden, no doubt.
Airkiru said:
Extremely surprised, I thought it would get a little bit more attention than 4k.

It's not like it's a particularly successful series in Japan (though yes, Dragon Sword is still underperforming considerably).

cvxfreak

Donny + Joshua, I'm interested in a certain general statistic (3 to be exact).

Since the release of the Saturn and PSone, or any trackable period around that time up to last week, how many consoles (combined) sell each day, week, month and year in Japan? What's the handheld stat for that, and the combined stat? Thanks! :)

Laguna

Banned
ethelred said:
They didn't "kiddyfy" and change its genre -- it's a spinoff, that's all. And it didn't perform all that poorly, by the by. 27k sales on the first day of a series where the most recent two installments were Sakura Taisen 5 on PS2 (144k LTD) and Sakura Taisen 1&2 on PSP (21k LTD) seems like a pretty positive result.

Ok, Sakura Taisens first day sales aren´t that bad but imo they diminished its sales potential alot by making it more kiddy and changing its gameplay.

ethelred

Laguna said:
Ok, Sakura Taisens first day sales aren´t that bad but imo they diminished its sales potential alot by making it more kiddy and changing its gameplay.

It's a spinoff. This is a silly argument.

ethelred

Laguna said:
You are a nuisance and you know it.

I'm not the one incapable of recognizing the concept of spinoffs. Sure, you win, Sakura Taisen DS is not Sakura Taisen 6 and this surely diminished the game's sales potential. Meanwhile, Square Enix for some reason decided not to make Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker instead be Dragon Quest IX, and Crisis Core wasn't Final Fantasy XIV, and Metal Gear Acid wasn't Metal Gear Solid 4.

The world goes on.

RpgN

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales
NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage - 127k
PS3 Armored Core: For Answer - 44k
PSP Tales of Rebirth - 38k
WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! - 30k
NDS Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame - 27k
NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi - 26k
NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land: Kachinko Gachinko Daikatsugeki! - 19k
PSP Mugen Kairou (echochrome) - 16k
360 Armored Core: For Answer - 16k
NDS Time Hollow: Ubawareta Kako o Motomete - 14k
NDS Chou Nekketsu Koukou Kunio-Kun Dodge Ball Bu - 10k
NDS Kekkaishi: Kokubourou Shuurai - 8k (just 10-20% sell through)
360 Army of Two - 8k
PS3 Army of Two - 6k
NDS Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword - 4k
NDS Bangai-O Spirits - 3k (<10k shipment)

I expected more from TOR. Maybe it will have strong legs instead? And Ninja Gaiden...Such a shame. It really looks good. I can't wait untill it gets a release in Europe.

Ps3 is having a huge decline again. For these kind of hardcore consoles, developers can only rely on western audience it seems. Unless a miracle happens.

Laguna

Banned
ethelred said:
I'm not the one incapable of recognizing the concept of spinoffs. Sure, you win, Sakura Taisen DS is not Sakura Taisen 6 and this surely diminished the game's sales potential. Meanwhile, Square Enix for some reason decided not to make Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker instead be Dragon Quest IX, and Crisis Core wasn't Final Fantasy XIV, and Metal Gear Acid wasn't Metal Gear Solid 4.

The world goes on.

That´s exactly what I´m saying genius. By changing its gameplay and making it more kiddy it is a spin-off -> diminished sales potential

ethelred

Laguna said:
That´s exactly what I´m saying genius. By changing its gameplay and making it more kiddy it is a spin-off -> diminished sales potential

Spinoffs generally sell less than main series games, you mean? You don't say! Someone alert the press.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ninja Gaiden for the "wider audience" bomba, for some reason most people are seeing it as a cash-in regardless of the in-house development and positive impressions.

Time Hollow looks like another bump on the road for Konami on the DS in Japan. Bangai-O didn't do well either but it doesn't look like ESP was expecting much of it (I guess they realized they were aiming for a small audience... it did alright considering they only shipped 10k). I wonder how much of the other games were shipped, especially Dodgeball and to a lesser extent Sakura Taisen.

Laguna

Banned
ethelred said:
Spinoffs generally sell less than main series games, you mean? You don't say! Someone alert the press.

:lol

I expected more from TOR. Maybe it will have strong legs instead? And Ninja Gaiden...Such a shame. It really looks good. I can't wait untill it gets a release in Europe.

Ps3 is having a huge decline again. For these kind of hardcore consoles, developers can only rely on western audience it seems. Unless a miracle happens.

I doubt it. With such low sales and Tecmo behind this game I doubt they can convince retailers.

Laguna

Banned
By looking at those first day sales it´s likely that Yakuza 3 will be out of Top10 if it doesn´t sell 35k-40k this week.

And how did Tales of Rebirth do compared to other Tales of releases on PSP? It doesn´t look like a hit to say the least but maybe it sells inline the other recent Tales of ports on PSP?

NeonZ

ethelred said:

I think he's just trying to say that making it a blatant spin-off was a bad idea. They should just have continued with the series conventions even if working with a lower budget.

Laguna

Banned
NeonZ said:
I think he's just trying to say that making it a blatant spin-off was a bad idea. They should just have continued with the series conventions even if working with a lower budget.

That´s what I was saying all the time and even ethelred knows it but he likes to be a nuisance. :lol

ethelred

For what it's worth:

Code:
Game:			System:	1st Week Sales:
Ninja Gaiden		XBX	39,935
Ninja Gaiden Black	XBX	3,886
Ninja Gaiden Sigma	PS3	40,886

NeonZ said:

I'm not so sure trying to make a Sakura Taisen 6 on-the-cheap, with most of the people behind the earlier games not available, would've resulted in much better sales. Regardless, though, the conscious decision was made to have this be a spinoff game (a mysterious dungeon instead of... however one chooses to precisely classify Sakura Taisen), and given that decision, these sales are pretty good.

botticus

Laguna said:
And how did Tales of Rebirth do compared to other Tales of releases on PSP? It doesn´t look like a hit to say the least but maybe it sells inline the other recent Tales of ports on PSP?
Code:
			First Week	LTD
Tales of Eternia		74,630		193,458
Tales of Phantasia		65,417		111,034
Tales of Destiny 2		65,503		113,984
Assuming it doesn't drop off too much the rest of the week, it should open similarly.

Laguna

Banned
botticus said:
Code:
			First Week	LTD
Tales of Eternia		74,630		193,458
Tales of Phantasia		65,417		111,034
Tales of Destiny 2		65,503		113,984
Assuming it doesn't drop off too much the rest of the week, it should open similarly.

Tales of Rebirth should do similar numbers first week. There is a certain "Tales of" hardcore fanbase on PSP that buys these games and it is indeeed amazing how similar the first week numbers were so far.

I'm surprised at the lack of comments for Armored Core FA. Take these LTDs into account:
- AC4 PS3 - 85k
- AC4 360 (released later) - 21k
ACFA has done 60k in its first day combining them, also sinobi mentions it had a stellar sell through.

Also Pokemon Ranger 2 beats the first one start (again, this is sinobi), for the week the original did 189k btw.

Defuser said:
dengeki_news.jpg

Translation:

Please tell us what you think were the most interesting titles you played in 2007.

01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd
02. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
03. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy
04. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV
05. [PS2] Super Robot Wars: Original Generations
06. [PS2] Persona 3: Fes
07. [NDS] Etrian Odyssey
08. [PS2] Ar Tonelico 2
09. [PS2] Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua]
10. [360] Lost Odyssey

ethelred said:

Stop arguing with him, or he will end up calling you a fanboy or something worse (or maybe he already did).

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'm surprised at the lack of comments for Armored Core FA. Take these LTDs into account:
- AC4 PS3 - 85k
- AC4 360 (released later) - 21k
ACFA has done 60k in its first day combining them, also sinobi mentions it had a stellar sell through.

Also Pokemon Ranger 2 beats the first one start (again, this is sinobi), for the week the original did 189k btw.
Yeah, 4A's off to an impressive start on both platforms... could beat both previous ltds 1st week even, and come close to PS2 levels itself eventually. DMC4's about to have company! :lol

Just in case anyone was still wondering about this...

Top10 Best Selling Titles in 2007 and released in 2007
1 PSP&#12302;Monster Hunter Portable 2nd&#12303;1,489,898
2 DS&#12302;Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon 2 (2 versions)&#12303;1,256,516
3 DS&#12302;Mario Party DS&#12303;1,232,644
4 Wii&#12302;Mario Party 8&#12303;1,053,934
5 DS&#12302;Dragon Quest IV&#12303;1,052,827
6 DS&#12302;Yoshi's Island DS&#12303;896,814
7 DS&#12302;Zelda Phantom Hourglass&#12303;839,395
8 Wii&#12302;Wii Fit&#12303;818,166
9 DS&#12302;Professor Layton and the Mysterious Town&#12303;765,758
10 PSP&#12302;Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII&#12303;753,939

MHP2G has no chance at all to lead 2008 chart. DQIX if released, Brawl, DQV, DQVI, Mario Kart Wii, Layton 3, Animal Crossing Wii...

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

MHP2G has no chance at all to lead 2008 chart. DQIX if released, Brawl, DQV, DQVI, Mario Kart Wii, Layton 3, Animal Crossing Wii...
I know it wasn't released in 2007 but did Wii Sports sell more then MHP2 in 2007?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

No Wii Sports/Play? Or are they not counted at all?

DQ9 will surely beat everything, if only it can be released this year. For DQ5/6, Mario Kart, Layton 3 and MHP2G, I think they are pretty much in the same rank. AC is somewhat a wild card, because it can be a very different game on Wii from its DS counterpart.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
No numbers for House of the Dead?

Good DECA sports numbers..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Decent start for Deca Sports. Between Scamco and Hudson, it looks like third parties are carving out a niche for B-grade sports titles on the system :lol

Pokemon Ranger 2 might make a million. The first installment did 650 on an opening week of 190k. If PR2 has an opening day of 190, I project lifetime sales of anywhere from 750-1.2 mln. On one hand, PR2 opened in a fairly crowded field (Children of Mana, Sudoku Gridmaster, Starfi 4, Tetris DS all within a few weeks of either side) but on the other hand the DS had a lot less around then so a meh-tier title like PR2 might have had more appeal.

I guess we'll see how it ends up enduring going forward.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
Games get a boost when their sequels get released.

True, but how often are earlier games in a serie re-released this close to a sequel? I.e, did Super Mario Sunshine get a boost due to the release of Super Mario Galaxy (did it chart within the top 50?)? And did Nintendo release a Best Price alternative for Super Mario Sunshine "just" before the release of SMG? I'm not that familiar on how game stores in Japan works, but i'm under the impression that older games arent easily avalible in stores generally, atleast not new copies.

I dont think its a coincidence that Yakuza 2 The Best was released "just" before the release of Yakuza 3. I think it was released before Yakuza 3 not only to sell well, but also to boost/hype the interest for Yakuza 3. I'd say that there is a chance that people picked up Yakuza 2 for the first time when The Best release was released (its also only about 1890 yen). Then there might be a chance that people will really like the game which can result in them wanting to buy Yakuza 3 as well.

Personally i dont think that Yakuza 3 will stay as long as Yakuza 2 The Best within the top 50 though, but i dont complete rule out that it might stay there for a while, with one factor to that would be the release of Yakuza 2 The Best. Its also been just 2 weeks so its way too early to tell.

test_account said:
True, but how often are earlier games in a serie released this close to a sequel? I.e, did Super Mario Sunshine get a boost due to the release of Super Mario Galaxy? And did Nintendo release a Best Price alternative for Super Mario Sunshine "just" before the release of SMG? I'm not that familiar on how game stores in Japan works, but i'm under the impression that older games arent easily avalible in stores generally, atleast not new copies.

I dont think its a coincidence that Yakuza 2 The Best was released "just" before the release of Yakuza 3. I think it was released before Yakuza 3 not only to sell well, but also to boost/hype the interest for Yakuza 3. I'd say that there is a chance that people picked up Yakuza 2 for the first time when The Best release was released (its also only about 1890 yen). Then there might be a chance that people will really like the game which can result in them wanting to buy Yakuza 3 as well.

Personally i dont think that Yakuza 3 will stay as long as Yakuza 2 The Best within the top 50 though, but i dont complete rule out that it might stay there for a while, with one factor to that would be the release of Yakuza 2 The Best.
Games like the original Layton and MHP got a boost when their sequel got released and I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of any right now. PS3 games don't have much legs, people who bought Yakuza 2 and wanted Yakuza 3 would've bought the game already. Sure there might be a few that will buy Yakuza 3 in the future because of Yakuza 2, but the chances are the same for any series and they'd be in the minority and is virtually negligible. You can't use SMS and SMG as an example, they're released years apart.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
Games like the original Layton and MHP got a boost when their sequel got released and I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of any right now. PS3 games don't have much legs, people who bought Yakuza 2 and wanted Yakuza 3 would've bought the game already. Sure there might be a few that will buy Yakuza 3 in the future because of Yakuza 2, but the chances are the same for any series and they'd be in the minority and is virtually negligible. You can't use SMS and SMG as an example, they're released years apart.

Devil May Cry 3 got released as a Special Edition relatively close to DMC4, so maybe DMC3 is also a game that saw a boost due to DMC4 (or maybe it sold good because of the Special Edition stuff). Other than that and those you mentioned i cant remember anyone more myself.

True what you say, PS3 games (so far atleast) dont really have long legs, and i do agree that most people who wanted Yakuza 3 have probly bought it already. Also true that it goes for most series, but i think it might be alittle different if a re-release get released close to the release of the sequel. Maybe then people get hyped more than if they played Yakuza 2 like 2-3 years ago. If they have finished Yakuza 2 recently for the first time they have the opporunity to get a sequel quick and not wait for a couple of years or so. It might be a different situation, but that is just my guess :)

I'm not expecting huge sales over the next couple of weeks or anything, but i was wondering on how long it was going to chart. 50th place in the top 50 might be like 1000 units or so, so i would say its too impossible that Yakuza 3 can chart for some weeks to come. We'll see soon enough anyway :)

Top Bottom