• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Guys, why the fuck my Wii doesn't recognize the Freeloader disc and totally fails reading it? You know, disc channel with a big question marks coming out. I've tried anything, inserting the disc before or after the Wii is on doesn't change shit (also tried changin' from 480i to 576i.

Also a strange thing happens: a matrix-esque effect on the screen when the Wii starts trying to read the disc (on the "warnings press A to continue" page if I insert the disc and then swith the Wii on or in the Disc Channel if i insert the Freeloader then).

PAL Wii and PAL Freeloader.

Help :-/

Chairhome

Dash Kappei said:
Guys, why the fuck my Wii doesn't recognize the Freeloader disc and totally fails reading it? You know, disc channel with a big question marks coming out. I've tried anything, inserting the disc before or after the Wii is on doesn't change shit (also tried changin' from 480i to 576i.

Also a strange thing happens: a matrix-esque effect on the screen when the Wii starts trying to read the disc (on the "warnings press A to continue" page if I insert the disc and then swith the Wii on or in the Disc Channel if i insert the Freeloader then).

PAL Wii and PAL Freeloader.

Help :-/

I had that Matrix type effect for the warnings. I think that means it works. You don't actually have to boot it after that. I removed the disc when I got to the disc channel, then inserted the import disc (I'm using a US disc on a US Wii). Try putting your import game in after you get to the menu after the matrix effect.

Dash Kappei

Chairhome said:
I had that Matrix type effect for the warnings. I think that means it works. You don't actually have to boot it after that. I removed the disc when I got to the disc channel, then inserted the import disc (I'm using a US disc on a US Wii). Try putting your import game in after you get to the menu after the matrix effect.

:bow:

FUCK YES!

Thank you so much man!

F-Zero GX (US) works like a charm :)

I'm off to VG+ ordering NMH, yay!

Btw Datel my friends, the instructions sheet included is, well, shit.

ok, my copy of freeloader just arrived a few minutes ago..I tested it (on a PAL Wii) with Tales of Symphonia (Jap) and it works fine. Nintendo Puzzle Collection however doesn't work :(

Ah, and the colours are fine for the gamecube games...does that means that everything will be ok also with the Wii US games?

Wizpig

Question about NMH, read this:

The song "Heavenly Star" by Genki Rockets is used in many parts of the game. In the Japanese and European version, a music video of it can be watched on Travis' television, but it was replaced with the original Heroes trailer for the game in the North American version.

My question is: NOT considering this "music video", is the song anywhere else in US NMH or was it completely removed?

Wizpig said:
Question about NMH, read this:

The song "Heavenly Star" by Genki Rockets is used in many parts of the game. In the Japanese and European version, a music video of it can be watched on Travis' television, but it was replaced with the original Heroes trailer for the game in the North American version.

My question is: NOT considering this "music video", is the song anywhere else in US NMH or was it completely removed?

Nope, it's still used throughout the game.

Ramenman said:
9hmhwn.png

was this jpeg decoded from a radio transmission from vega or something. the artifacting is like whoa

0OoO0

I'm about to purchase one from Play-asis. But I just want to make sure it works with my TV.

I have a old SDTV that supports PAL and NTSC. I connect my PAL Wii with the AV Composite Cable. Will the freeloader work?

0OoO0

0OoO0 said:
I'm about to purchase one from Play-asis. But I just want to make sure it works with my TV.

I have a old SDTV that supports PAL and NTSC. I connect my PAL Wii with the AV Composite Cable. Will the freeloader work?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I really need someone to answer this. Thanks

0OoO0

Could someone please test a NTSC copy of Tales of Symphonia on a PAL Wii console? I never got to play that game

CTLance

0OoO0 said:
Could someone please test a NTSC copy of Tales of Symphonia on a PAL Wii console? I never got to play that game
As soon as the update gets done I'll try it.

Edit: works. There's a black bar at the bottom and the visuals are screwy.
See for yourself:
359ldhf.jpg

I honestly wouldn't recommend playing it like that. The game works just fine, but it looks like ass.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
CTLance said:

See for yourself:

PIC

I honestly wouldn't recommend playing it like that. The game works just fine, but it looks like ass.

Well shit, guess i'll have to keep my gamecube around if lots of games wont work with the freeloader (or are bugged) :D

0OoO0

Thanks for testing it out CTLance. Pheww, was about to buy it too. Ah, that sucks...guess I'll just wait for the sequel then and maybe read what happens in the first game on wikipedia or something.

Dascu

0OoO0 said:
Thanks for testing it out CTLance. Pheww, was about to buy it too. Ah, that sucks...guess I'll just wait for the sequel then and maybe read what happens in the first game on wikipedia or something.
ToS was released in Europe. Why not just buy the PAL version?

0OoO0

I'm actually from Australia. It's hard to find a copy and I've tried ebay but the prices are crazy. Was hoping it would work on the Wii Freeloader.

Dascu

0OoO0 said:
I'm actually from Australia. It's hard to find a copy and I've tried ebay but the prices are crazy. Was hoping it would work on the Wii Freeloader.
Eh. You're not missing out on much.

ecosse_011172

CTLance said:

See for yourself:
359ldhf.jpg

Aha, I'm not the only one! Shame as I'm keen on playing this...

CTLance

Just keep on looking, you should be able to find it at a decent price if you keep an eye open at all times. It's a good game, and if you have a few like-minded friends it's a pretty engrossing experience.

0OoO0

Also interested in playing Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snake, if any one has the NTSC game, could you please test it out on Freeloader? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chao

J. M. Romeo said:
Ok, so I was at my GF's to make a WIIIIIIIII party with my brand new Freeloader and Brawl, and OH SURPRISE, when I got her hooked up and running, Brawl gave me the Red tint of death. I tried a workaround, plugging the SCART connector on a VCR that she has to record cable movies and shit, using it as a pass-thru. The VCR is connected to the TV via RF (shittiest connection ever, I know), and it eliminated the Red Tint of Doom. It might work connecting the VCR to the TV via RGB, but I can't test it right now. Anyway, for those with a PAL Wii and the RGB cable, using another device such a VCR as a passthru can work.

Sorry if it already has been posted. See you around.

ASS, because I bought an RGB cable just for Smash Bros and my shitty SANYO tv. And now I'll have to play through composite again? Nuts. It's a freeloader thing screwing the game, because I've been playing a JP one through RGB, and that red tint thing didn't show up.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just got the damn Freeloader I've ordered on Codejunkies.
I've checked the date on the envelope, and it had been sent on Mar 12th.
So, they weren't lying after all, mine was sent together with they batch they were talking about and they maybe just lost my tracking number.
Happy ending.

Singho

Tried my Freeloader and NMHs last night, I had bought a scart\RGB lead in what I thought would allow me to play the NTSC game in colour on my TV. Nope, a red tint.

Read that it would be fine using the composite cable on here, thought that sounded strange, and yup it was, it was in black and white. The reason I pre-empted and bought a RGB\Scart lead in the first place.

Both my TVs are new and can run 60hz games (Not a new fangled LCD\Plasma with component though), what can I try to get them working in colour?

Thanks

Singho

Ah. :( Thanks.

I might as well just plug it through my video capture card and play it through the monitor for now. ;/

Dash Kappei

MicVlaD said:
Really now? No noteworthy issues at all?

I just so happen to own the US of F-Zero GX as well, so I might replay it when I get the Freeloader.

Terrible Update:

Ok, don't consider this freeloader for Gamecube games AT ALL.
It's not a scam either since it's not advertised as such anywhere on the cover.

F-Zero GX US: loads the menu, tracks, option... but then you're stuck with just soundtrack playing on the background and the race never starts.

Viewtiful Joe US: doesn't load at all.

Waverace JAP: black bar on the top.

Metroid Prime US: menu art doesn't show, game loads but framerate suffers.

MGS Twin Snake US
: framerate suffers on the cutscenes.

Luigi's Mansion US: overscan + black bar on the top with flickering.

Didn't try at all with Jungle Beat JAP, Kinnukumen JAP, Beach Spikers JAP and SoulCalibur II Jap since it's clear that this disc it's not a viable option to play these games on Wii (pal).

Dash Kappei

zoukka said:
Fuck I gotta try this. NMH makes my eyes bleed.

I'm not going to buy NMH (US) unless I'm sure that I can play in RGB, running it through composite would ruin the game for me.

My CRT SDTV (Sony Wega) has proper NTSC supports (both on S-Video, Composite in, Scart Composite in) and I could play fine Gamecube ntsc games with my Jap Gamecube with composite and S-Video, then I modified my component cable and I could use custom RGB scart as well.

Is there any evidence I can run NMH with RGB and avoid the red tint of death?

I need to test some PAL GCN/Wii titles on my NTSC-U system. I have a feeling I'll get issues then, as so far with the Japanese imports, I've had zero issues. I uploaded more videos (see previous post) to show my GCN imports from Japan running perfectly fine. Titles from 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006.

[Nintex]

Dash Kappei said:
I'm not going to buy NMH (US) unless I'm sure that I can play in RGB, running it through composite would ruin the game for me.

My CRT SDTV (Sony Wega) has proper NTSC supports (both on S-Video, Composite in, Scart Composite in) and I could play fine Gamecube ntsc games with my Jap Gamecube with composite and S-Video, then I modified my component cable and I could use custom RGB scart as well.

Is there any evidence I can run NMH with RGB and avoid the red tint of death?
The problem isn't the TV, its the Wii it turns into an NTSC system and the RGB output changes to S-Video which causes the red tint.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I connected the RGB Scart cable (from my PAL Wii) to my VCR which removed the red tint when using US games through Freeloader. It's not ideal, as the image exhibited some noise, but it's better than composite at least.

You know, the reason I bought Freeloader even though I also own a US Wii is because using the RGB Scart cable on it gave me a red tint, and composite was hurting my eyes. Imagine my surprise when US games through Freeloader on a PAL Wii with an RGB cable still gave a red tint. Durr.

But with the VCR as an intermediate being a fix for the red tint with the Freeloader/PAL Wii, I also tried the RGB cable from the US Wii to the VCR, and lo, no red tint. I didn't have to buy the Freeloader after all :p (Or: I didn't have to buy the US Wii now that we have a working Freeloader. Oh well.)

EDIT: GEEBUS, what was I thinking? I don't mean VCR, I mean DVD Player. Possibly other machines such as receivers would work too.

MidiSurf

Banned
Kafel said:
Both US and JP versions don't work on a PAL Wii.

Well that sucks :(. I guess i'll have to buy GC+freeloader again. And according to that wiki list it seems that Wii Freeloader doesn't quite "get" GC games.

Kafel

Banned
MidiSurf said:
Well that sucks :(. I guess i'll have to buy GC+freeloader again. And according to that wiki list it seems that Wii Freeloader doesn't quite "get" GC games.

I know. It's a pity that people who loved NMH can't try K7.

edit : the important piece of news from last page people :

Ramenman said:
/!\ UNF UNF UNF FREELOADER NOW ON PLAY ASIA UNF UNF /!\

And it's fucking CHEAP (about 14€ shipped).

PAL VERSION

US VERSION

JAP VERSION

Dunno if this has been tried by anyone else yet but theres hope for those wanting to play Gamecube imports on their systems.

I just got my PAL freeloader today and because I have no brawl, I tried another test. Seeing if it gets the Gamecube Freeloader running.

I had the version that previously ran on wii and used a copy of Megaman Classic Collection. Ran absolutely fine without a hitch :D. After the wave band the GC Freeloader just ran like it does on my GC without any hassle at all

EDIT: My Gamecube freeloader runs fine on its own on Wii. I must have an updated version from Datel

Kafel said:
I know. It's a pity that people who loved NMH can't try K7.
Sure they can, they can buy it on eBay in their own territory, it's not rare or particularly expensive compared to importing. Or heaven forbid, you can buy it on
PS2
where it's even cheaper.

JennyTablina said:
Dunno if this has been tried by anyone else yet but theres hope for those wanting to play Gamecube imports on their systems.

I just got my PAL freeloader today and because I have no brawl, I tried another test. Seeing if it gets the Gamecube Freeloader running.

I had the version that previously ran on wii and used a copy of Megaman Classic Collection. Ran absolutely fine without a hitch :D. After the wave band the GC Freeloader just ran like it does on my GC without any hassle at all

EDIT: My Gamecube freeloader runs fine on its own on Wii. I must have an updated version from Datel
Oh you edited there...

Top Bottom