• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joy of being part of the Master Race....

Fahdis

Let me just make it super simple... its these damn Publishers with their shitty ass launchers and their lack of support. My setup is an RTX 3090 with an i9-3900K.

- Downloaded GTA 4 CE
- Downloaded BFV
- Downloaded The Crew 2
All on Steam...

- Downloaded Forza Horizon 3 on Microsoft PC Store not sure if this is GFWL.

Now the common theme here is that all these games have their own launchers and even if you bought them on Steam, these turds will not play outside of the launchers.

- GTA 4 CE doesn't load due to some bug with the Social Club, the first pinned thread on Steam Discussions is how to start the game with more ways than I can even imagine. Uninstalled.

- BFV just introduce some sort of Anti-Cheat system on the EA App which for some reason has broken the game for many, including SP, the game just crashes on the splash screen. And Linux Users can't even boot the game at all as the option to play is grayed out. Uninstalled until further notice.

- The Crew 2 wouldn't start at all unless you manually went into the WEBSITE version of Ubisoft Connect and unlinked your Twitch and Amazon accounts. Of course Ubi also stole from us by graying out the Crew 1 as a rental. Redeemed for once.

- Forza Horizon 3, kept on stopping the download randomly and the game crashed randomly whenever it wanted. How am I supposed to finish this shit? Uninstalled.

I've not really had major issues if Steam is the only launcher. Someone please stop these fucking companies and their shitty ass launchers or have them at least bring QOL patches or make them accountable. For fucks sake!

Last edited:

YCoCg

- GTA 4 CE doesn't load due to some bug with the Social Club, the first pinned thread on Steam Discussions is how to start the game with more ways than I can even imagine. Uninstalled.
You should always check PC Gaming Wiki for any issues games have due to their age, for example a lot of GTA IV's stuff is fixed by installing this (drag and drop):

FaPOGYt.jpeg

Kilau

GTA4 PC is a notorious cluster mess.
Crew is UBI so you know what you are getting there.
Same with BFV and EA.

FH3 isn't GFWL, not sure what the issue is there.

Soodanim

GTA4 modding is quite simple these days. I followed this guide recently and it even has a one-and-done drag and drop modding pack that includes everything you need (or you can follow the guide and do whatever you want).

Skifi28

Unfortunately, downloading and immediately playing something is not always part of PC gaming. You're lucky enough if the issues you are experiencing are well documented and can be fixed with a little effort. If not, this is where the real problems begin.

This is something you won't often hear on Gaf though, most PC evangelists here will insist they have never experienced any issues and everything just works which couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Let me just make it super simple... its these damn Publishers with their shitty ass launchers and their lack of support. My setup is an RTX 3090 with an i9-3900K.

- Downloaded GTA 4 CE
- Downloaded BFV
- Downloaded The Crew 2
All on Steam...

- Downloaded Forza Horizon 3 on Microsoft PC Store not sure if this is GFWL.

Now the common theme here is that all these games have their own launchers and even if you bought them on Steam, these turds will not play outside of the launchers.

- BFV just introduce some sort of Anti-Cheat system on the EA App which for some reason has broken the game for many, including SP, the game just crashes on the splash screen. And Linux Users can't even boot the game at all as the option to play is grayed out. Uninstalled until further notice.

- The Crew 2 wouldn't start at all unless you manually went into the WEBSITE version of Ubisoft Connect and unlinked your Twitch and Amazon accounts. Of course Ubi also stole from us by graying out the Crew 1 as a rental. Redeemed for once.

- Forza Horizon 3, kept on stopping the download randomly and the game crashed randomly whenever it wanted. How am I supposed to finish this shit? Uninstalled.

I've not really had major issues if Steam is the only launcher. Someone please stop these fucking companies and their shitty ass launchers or have them at least bring QOL patches or make them accountable. For fucks sake!
I agree launchers suck but I've not had that issue with GTA4. Maybe use the gta 4 downgrader since it removes the social club stuff.

You can't play GTA4 or Forza Horizon 3 on a ps5 you knobhead

Last edited:

SoloCamo

This is something you won't often hear on Gaf though, most PC evangelists here will insist they have never experienced any issues and everything just works which couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't think most people say they never experience issues, it's just that 99% of the time it does work just fine. And for the outliers, there is usually a fix. BFV just released that patch that broke it for some people.... six years after the game has been playable. The game will get fixed though. I will have to update and try it when I get home to see what the fuss is about.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Unfortunately, downloading and immediately playing something is not always part of PC gaming. You're lucky enough if the issues you are experiencing are well documented and can be fixed with a little effort. If not, this is where the real problems begin.

PC has problems like every other gaming platform, it's just that people like you speak on those problems when you have little experience with the platform...

Skifi28

PC has problems like every other gaming platform, it's just that people like you speak on those problems when you have little experience with the platform...
I've been building PCs and playing games on them for over 20 years, nice try though.

This is exactly why I dislike discussing anything PC on GAF. The moment you dare mention any issues people will directly mock you or personally attack/belittle you.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
GTA 4 is a known one.
I didn't use to require their launcher. Only GFWL which you created offline account in 5 seconds.
Now it requires rockstar launcher and my old, over 10 years old purchase is no longer working... at least not without cracking that is.
I didn't check for a year or so but last time it was black screen with gta 4 and 5. I expect these work now of course but it's so annoying. pcgamingwiki is there if you don't want to find the solution yourself.
Some people here will attack you with "skill issue" but they are ignorant fools. You can use a pc your whole life but there is always some new issue. That's the nature of modularity

edit: btw before someone tells me I am full of shit. I know gta 4 steam like the back of my hand. Over 50 hours in it and then triple that not counted because I was using crackfix or other version of the game... and my most played is still on 360.
JxJaEiV.png

I like gta 4...

Last edited:

Skifi28

As have I... the PC gaming experience is not what it used to be by a long shot. I'd say it's been pretty smooth sailing, especially past 2005 or so.
In terms of stuff running yes, the last decade or so has been much, much better. In terms of stuff working well, framerate consistency and micro-stuttering, that's a huge discussion I'm not starting here, but let me just say I'm not very happy.

Fahdis

This is not true. Ive PC gamed for 7 years now and there is always some form of problem with older games, platforms (Apple, Linux, Windows) or certain launchers. Its never a 100% my friend. We should be truthful.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

In terms of stuff running yes, the last decade or so has been much, much better. In terms of stuff working well, framerate consistency and micro-stuttering, that's a huge discussion I'm not starting here, but let me just say I'm not very happy.

Sure, but I don't blame the platform for it. It's not the PC platform's fault that developers decide to release unfinished garbage or use engines that are known to have even the most high end available hardware struggle with. It's a different discussion altogether at this point as you mentioned, but again, I don't blame the PC platform for it.

This is not true. Ive PC gamed for 7 years now and there is always some form of problem with older games, platforms (Apple, Linux, Windows) or certain launchers. Its never a 100% my friend. We should be truthful.

If it was always a problem I wouldn't be playing games from the 90's / early 2000's on every new piece of hardware I've upgraded to over the years. I mean, I was just playing "Delta Force" a game released in 1998 (and pretty obscure to this day) on my Windows 11 based AMD APU with zero issues.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
of course every platform has problems.
The moment you make peace with that, the easier life becomes.

That's the same with everything in life. New car door rattle? 30 or 300k car will do that. Secretlab chair squeeking?! dude.... I replaced mine 10 times.... the moment I had 3 backrests, 4 pistons, few boxes of parts and leftovers because I was always on the support ticket with them... I looked at my 300 support emails, months and months of back and forth. Stack of boxes and parts.... and at this point it just clicked - I let go. Internally I made peace with it and I instantly felt so much better omg. I emailed the support to stop any ongoing tickets under condiditon to please leave all as is. They don't make me send back boxes, I don't pursue any more claims. They opened a champaign bottle, screamed "finally this bitter idiot let's go!!!!" And closed the ticket lol. That's how I imagine it.
I gave the leftover parts to my friend and guess what? The evening I made peace with them, all the creaking and squeaking went away. It was in my head... I was looking for it.

Anyway - just a stupid anecdote. Sometimes it's good to accept things as they are or move on.
I wanted a peace and simplicity of consoles and I have it. The things described in OP infuriated me needlessly.

Fahdis

If it was always a problem I wouldn't be playing games from the 90's / early 2000's on every new piece of hardware I've upgraded to over the years. I mean, I was just playing "Delta Force" a game released in 1998 (and pretty obscure to this day) on my Windows 11 based AMD APU with zero issues.

I should have said, specific games with isolated issues. The every part was probably me not containing hyperbole.

A.Romero

I think the learning curve for PC is a bit steeper than for console. Once you get the hang of it, it's rare to face problems. Last time I had issues was with GoW4 and the crappy Windows Store. It has gotten much better with gamepass.

Usually I don't go for older games but a lot of them can have issues, specially if they were meant to run on older systems or if they have dependencies on online services that are crappy.

Just recently I was able to play Diablo IV (Gamepass + Battlenet), Helldivers II and Hogwarts Legacy withtout any issues.

My main problem with PC gaming is that some games have crappy ports that, for example, don't let you set whatever resolution you want to play or have splash screens that destroy the big screen experience. Still, worth it IMO.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've been building PCs and playing games on them for over 20 years, nice try though.
Almost 35 years worth of PC building here and I still have no idea where some of you guys find all your supposed problems in 2024. I'm just fucking flabbergasted that there are people out there who has much of an issue at all. Seriously. PC gaming is so "boring" these days. Unless of course all you do all day is shuffling in and out questionable software, and drivers for ten thousand different attached shoddy devices on shitty hardware.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Almost 40 years worth of PC building here and I still have no idea where some of you guys find all your supposed problems in 2024. I'm just fucking flabbergasted that there are people out there who has much of an issue at all. Seriously. PC gaming is so "boring" these days. Unless of course all you do all day is shuffling in and out questionable software, and drivers for ten thousand different attached shoddy devices on shitty hardware.
I literally cant remember the last time i had a technical problem with a game or app. I also have zero problems with any of the launchers, although i dont use the MS store, i do use Gmepass but not the actual MS store.
Its like Gamepass itself, you always see people on here having technical problems with PC gamepass yet i havent had a single one.

Problem is we have console only gamers on here who think, and act, like PC gaming is still like it was in the 90's. Well it isnt, and these days its barely more difficult than console gaming. PC is almost just as 'plug and play' as console gaming is.
Even the rare times i do have a technical problem with something, i'm usually able to sort it from experience, or find a solution with a simple Google search.

Skifi28

Almost 35 years worth of PC building here and I still have no idea where some of you guys find all your supposed problems in 2024. I'm just fucking flabbergasted that there are people out there who has much of an issue at all. Seriously. PC gaming is so "boring" these days. Unless of course all you do all day is shuffling in and out questionable software, and drivers for ten thousand different attached shoddy devices on shitty hardware.
Unfortunately games fall in the "questionable software" category, especially if they're a little older. I would argue Windows does too considering some very weird power saving issues I've been having lately.

Last edited:

pepodmc_

You have to put in action the benefit of being a pc gamer, and you will avoid a lot of problems with the launchers

Top Bottom