• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs - WiiU version still delayed, no date

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

Official PR:
Today, Ubisoft revealed that its highly anticipated open world action-adventure game, Watch Dogs™, will be released worldwide on May 27, 2014.

In Watch Dogs™, players assume the role of Aiden Pearce, a new type of vigilante hero who, with the help of his smartphone, will use his ability to hack into Chicago’s central operating system (ctOS) to control almost every element of the city.

“We are pleased to be able to reveal to gamers all over the world the new release date for Watch Dogs™,” said Geoffroy Sardin, EMEA Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Ubisoft. “We are extremely confident that the additional time we afforded the dev team to refine and polish the game will be more than worth the wait.”

Players who purchase Watch Dogs™ on either PlayStation®3 or PlayStation®4™ will have exclusive access to 60 minutes of additional gameplay via the PlayStation® Network.

“We’re really excited for the launch of Watch Dogs on both PS3® and PS4® and are confident that it will prove to be one of the standout games of 2014,” said Michael Pattison, Vice President, Third Party Relations, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “It’s a unique and visionary game and we believe that the exclusive content available via PSN will not only excite gamers, but showcase how PlayStation® is a preferred destination for Watch Dogs.”

Watch Dogs™ will be available on Sony PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Microsoft Xbox One® the all-in-one games and entertainment system, Microsoft Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and Windows PC. The Wii U™ version will release at a later date.

The last sentence

No Wii U version date along with the others!?

God damn it. No date? At all? NOTHING!? May 27th for everything else and NOTHING for Wii U!?!?!

Is it even going to release at this point? Why can't it have launch date parity?

God I'm upset. :-(

Late May is going to be busy.

MLB 14 (I have a feeling this is coming to PS4 towards the end of May)
Mario Kart 8
Watch Dogs

Anything I'm missing?

Sucks about the Wii U version being delayed.

darkwing

God damn it. No date? At all? NOTHING!? May 27th for everything else and NOTHING for Wii U!?!?!

Is it even going to release at this point? Why can't it have launch date parity?

better than cancelled I suppose

The news that it's delayed is ancient.

The REAL news today is that it's May 27th for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and PC....but Ubisoft is STILL silent about any kind of date for Wii U.

They really should have announced SOMETHING today other than "it will release at a later date." What does that mean?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
When they say:-

The Wii U™ version will release at a later date.

I think they really mean it's been quietly canned but don't want to admit it.

Chindogg

Really they should just fucking cancel it if that's their plan. No need in jerking everyone around over it.

What sucks is this game just begs to use the GamePad. The cellphone mechanics seem too obvious.

Tripon

We didn't even know a release date for the other version yesterday - so no - I didn't know that.
But your title and thread is about the wii u delay. I'm a bit confused here. You are the one who emphasize Perviously known info.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If this releases around late May, it's going to be competing with Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U. It's going to do worse than AC IV. Though that's all according to Ubisoft's plan, I guess.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

They are not gonna tell us when it will be available before releasing it for the other platforms.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If this releases in late May, it's going to be competing with Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U. It's going to do worse than AC IV. Though that's all according to Ubisoft's plan, I guess.

This is also true. If this comes later can't have worse sales than released simultaneously with MK8.

Patryn

The news that it's delayed is ancient.

The REAL news today is that it's May 27th for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and PC....but Ubisoft is STILL silent about any kind of date for Wii U.

They really should have announced SOMETHING today other than "it will release at a later date." What does that mean?

Given that they said when they delayed it that they were ceasing work on the Wii U version until they had released all the other versions, anyone expecting to also get the Wii U release date today is delusional.

I don't think so, but I imagine they're considering it, at least.

Guessing once the game goes gold on the other platforms, they'll look at the costs needed to finish the Wii U version and the market conditions and make a decision then. I'm also guessing that they're going to end up cancelling it quietly when the realize the obvious fact that there's little chance that a Wii U version could be profitable.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's not...it's May 27th for everything except Wii U.

Which means Wii U version might release in June, July, August, Holiday 2014...hell, it might just be cancelled outright and Ubisoft refuses to admit to it.

I probably should have phrased that better. I mean that's why they're pushing Watch_Dogs back.

Given that they said when they delayed it that they were ceasing work on the Wii U version until they had released all the other versions, anyone expecting to also get the Wii U release date today is delusional.

If they're not going to devote the resources for launch date parity, they honestly shouldn't bother at this point unless Nintendo is footing the bill for the port. It's a waste of their time to release a version months after the others with, most likely, little to no substantial Wii U-exclusive upgrades.

Koppai

I guess I won't buy the game at all, was looking forward to the Wii U version. Publisher bias is pissing me off.

At the very least they could have given us a vague timeframe.

Like "May 27th for PS4, PS3, XBO, 360, and PC," and "Wii U releasing in August" or "Wii U releasing this Fall."

Liamario

Banned
Seriously though, if they're going to delay the WiiU version, they might as well not release it at all. There's no good enough excuse for the delay.
If it was up to me, I'd just cancel that version of it and stop playing games with wiiu owners. The game isn't going to sell well on the system anyways.

KHlover

Banned
Now that I see the release date - smart choice actually. As long as they release it within a month after MK8 it might actually benefit the sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom