• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs - WiiU version still delayed, no date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

At the very least they could have given us a vague timeframe.

Like "May 27th for PS4, PS3, XBO, 360, and PC," and "Wii U releasing in August" or "Wii U releasing this Fall."

They probably currently have not assessed the amount of work necessary to finish the Wii U version. Remember, they said that they were ceasing all work on the Wii U, and that was at least a month ago. It's unlikely they'd be able to estimate correctly until everything has shaken out. Estimates would also be dependent on knowing when the necessary teams would be freed up, and also knowing when the cost-benefit analysis of finishing the port is completed.

Yagharek

And Nintendo will be blamed when this half assed version sells like shit...

Catch_22

Any interest I had in this game has completely evaporated by now. Given the delays in general I expect it to be as buggy and irritating as the AssCreed series with choppy framerates to boot.

Mendrox

Just laughing out loud. I have a Wii U, but I wouldn't have bought it for the Wii U.

Nethertheless is the Wii U a god combo with a current gen console. :) Just don't expect 3 Party games on it.

JaseMath

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think the Wii U version is coming at all. Ubi is letting us down slowly.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
exactly: which is the theory behind the: "it's canceled but they don't want to admit it"?
if it is calcelled it would be smarter to tell it straight, so the (very few) people eventually waiting for that version woudl go out and buy it on other platforms.
Are those very few? yes. But so, very few are also those that would be upset by a cancellation.
And it's not that Nintendo wouldn't be disappointed (if that's the case) less by the cancellation if they admit it later rather than now...

StuBurns

Banned
exactly: which is the theory behind the: "it's canceled but they don't want to admit it"?
if it is calcelled it would be smarter to tell it straight, so the (very few) people eventually waiting for that version woudl go out and buy it on other platforms.
Are those very few? yes. But so, very few are also those that would be upset by a cancellation.
And it's not that Nintendo wouldn't be disappointed (if that's the case) less by the cancellation if they admit it later rather than now...
It's not that it is canceled, it's that it will be canceled.

Once they ship, they'll look at the work to complete the port, look at the estimated Wii U install base that doesn't have one of the other systems, look at the projected attach-rate of those people, see that it's pitiful, and cancel it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Well, Ubi is patching the Steam version of Anno 1404 three years after it was pulled precisely because Ubi refused to patch it, so anything is possible. ;)

Once they ship, they'll look at the work to complete the port, look at the estimated Wii U install base that doesn't have one of the other systems, look at the projected attach-rate of those people, see that it's pitiful, and cancel it.

Your avatar goes so well with the matter-of-factness.

At least Ubisoft are supporting Wii U, unlike many 3rd party companies.

If they were really supporting Wii U with hardcore titles, they wouldn't have decided to move all of the staff developing this version onto other versions to "prioritise resources for launch."

Yeah they haven't cancelled it outright, but it speaks volumes that they didn't consider Wii U worthy enough of launch date parity.

Hindl

Yeah this isn't surprising, wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled it after AC IV. Ubi has given good support to the Wii U but looks like this is the end. It'll sell like shit regardless but I do hope it actually does come out. I'm mildly interested in the game but I think cool things could be done with the GamePad. If they don't release it on the Wii U I'm not gonna bother picking it up.

Still, at least some general confirmation of a time frame would be nice

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why even bother to release the Wii U version? What a waste of money

considering how they went ahead with the development, it would be a bigger waste of money to cut that version. the game was originally planned for last Holiday season, and they were still including the Wii U in their development cycle, hoping to see a bump in the console sales due to the release of some N game and due to the Holiday season. that didn't happen but they already spent time and money in developing a big % of the Wii U game. So...it would probably be better for them to release it, with few retail stocks and digitally on the eshop, rather than cancel it.

DrChicken

Neo Member
Wii U...

tumblr_n1kp9ioKSo1qzftf1o1_400.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You'd think someone at PR would point out that delaying the Wii U version of Rayman so it launched along with the other and then delaying the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs so it doesn't launch with the others isn't the best way to earn customer loyalty.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

considering how they went ahead with the development, it would be a bigger waste of money to cut that version. the game was originally planned for last Holiday season, and they were still including the Wii U in their development cycle, hoping to see a bump in the console sales due to the release of some N game and due to the Holiday season. that didn't happen but they already spent time and money in developing a big % of the Wii U game. So...it would probably be better for them to release it, with few retail stocks and digitally on the eshop, rather than cancel it.

If they realize this so late in the development, LOL at their top managers, really :)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
considering how they went ahead with the development, it would be a bigger waste of money to cut that version.

We don't know how far into development they were for WiiU. I suspect they pulled all the devs off that build onto other platforms quite early on and was waiting to see how the WiiU did over the holidays.

Sendou

You'd think someone at PR would point out that delaying the Wii U version of Rayman so it launched along with the other and then delaying the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs so it doesn't launch with the others isn't the best way to earn customer loyalty.

Surely your opinion will change when you see what that delay gets us! Mario & Luigi costume for Aiden (apparently the protagionists name according to Google) only on Wii U. Take that PS4 and PC! What's the definitive version now?

I'd take it.

StuBurns

Banned
Your avatar goes so well with the matter-of-factness.
What happened to your thumb sucking one? It's like it was there in all it's glory in one moment, then disappeared in the next.
If they realize this so late in the development, LOL at their top managers, really :)
Yeah, I'd have never bothered supporting the Wii U personally, but publishers have to prepare for some sudden jump in demand.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What happened to your thumb sucking one? It's like it was there in all it's glory in one moment, then disappeared in the next.

I tend to change my avatar every week or so, which is a bad habit, I admit. :p It'll be back one day.

Hiltz

better than cancelled I suppose

Indeed. Quite frankly, Ubisoft's had enough reasons to cancel this port for Wii U. I mean, when ZombiU, Splinter Cell, Rayman Legends and Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 aren't selling well on Wii U - regardless of when they're released - then what will? Watch Dogs is just going to be next victim in line. Unfortunately, from a sales perspective, this will likely be the last AAA effort Ubisoft will be committing to Wii U. Once Ubisoft shifts to its next-gen engine, there will likely be no looking back to supporting Wii U beyond Just Dance titles.

prag16

Banned
Came in here to see all the unsubstantiated "lulz this obviously means it's cancelled" posts.

Not leaving disappointed.

Grizzo

Isn't this more of a case of Nintendo and UbiSoft holding it back because Mario Kart will be released around the same time? They might release Watch Dogs in June, thus trying to mitigate that awful drought in the Wii U upcoming line-up (when really, nothing will).

But then again, if that was the case, why wouldn't they announce the date already? That's weird. It might just end up being swept under the rug.

Griss

I remember when I was 16 my dog got sick and we had to take him to the vet and delay him. Bad times :(

Sunk cost. Whether development resumes on the title though will essentially depend on a) whether the projected return exceeds the additional cost that would be incurred by further development, QA, cert etc., and b) whether this return is worth the cost of forgoing other opportunities that those resources could be applied to. It could still be worthwhile to continue the project, since ceasing the project will still leave those costs unrecoverable.

Tripon

Isn't this more of a case of Nintendo and UbiSoft holding it back because Mario Kart will be released around the same time? They might release Watch Dogs in June, thus trying to mitigate that awful drought in the Wii U upcoming line-up (when really, nothing will).

But then again, if that was the case, why wouldn't they announce the date already? That's weird. It might just end up being swept under the rug.

Ubisoft said they moved the Wii U port team to the main project in order to get the game shipped. Even if they decided to delay it a month, they wouldn't have done that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
wow, it's fun how people seems really upset at the idea that this game could hit the Wii U :\
there are way more people pushing to not publising it than people upset for a generic delay

LOL at the Wii U awarness on GAF, good job Nintendo :p

Sunk cost. Whether development resumes on the title though will essentially depend on a) whether the projected return exceeds the additional cost that would be incurred by further development, QA, cert etc., and b) whether this return is worth the cost of forgoing other opportunities that those resources could be applied to. It could still be worthwhile to continue the project, since ceasing the project will still leave those costs unrecoverable.

thank you, good reply, as usual. I agree, and I really was pointing out just that bolded part, in fact :)

I guess I won't buy the game at all, was looking forward to the Wii U version. Publisher bias is pissing me off.
Publishers do tend to be biased against throwing their money into a furnace, yes. What a pesky trait they ask seem to share!

Grizzo

Ubisoft said they moved the Wii U port team to the main project in order to get the game shipped. Even if they decided to delay it a month, they wouldn't have done that.

I see... so I guess it's just a matter of time before they announce its cancellation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom