• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

EVIL

My prediction:

- Sony VR is real
- Only demonstrating rough prototype, consumer model will be years off (GDC is a developer oriented conference)
- Sony's stance on indies was partly to create internal roadmap to support open VR software experimentation.
- Delivers "presence" and promises unique experiences made for VR
- Invested R&D into creating a unique screen that has higher pixel density in the center then on the edges, wants to push that technology further and wants to produce these screens for other VR hardware developers
- 2 models, one for high end VR for enthusiasts, other for mainstream but at a more attractive price
- No mention of price range
- Demonstration of SDK, and promises SDK to be available to registered sony developers within months. Hardware development kits available later this year
- Top sony studios already experimenting with internal hardware kits.
- Sony not thinking PS4 exclusive, want to compete with Oculus, hoping to drive technology forward.
- Second product is a move technology based input device in the form of a wristband with a glow strip all around to track rough hand and arm motions. Product has sensors on the inside that read subtle micro movements from the tendons and small muscles in your wrist and can accurately predict finger movements based on that data.

So if Sony really unveils this VR technology later, are live blogs going to post pictures or is this somehow prohibited? Will they be allowed to report about everything?

Just asking because it starts at 1:45 a.m. for us Germans and I'd like to know if it's worth staying up.

StuBurns

Banned
So if Sony really unveils this VR technology later, are live blogs going to post pictures or is this somehow prohibited? Will they be allowed to report about everything?
There's no NDA, but they can't film it.

Seeing it doesn't matter, if the form factor is finished, we'll get renders anyway, if not, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

SighFight

The teasing...is...killing...meeeeeeeeeeee

Stop...my heart...ugh!

How pretty is The Last Guardian on PS4, in a scale of Jennifer Garner to Jared Leto?

Stop it already. I can't concentrate on work anymore today... Hype is enough.

....Please
don't
stop!!!

I hope you're prepping the VR related gifs for tonight.

Ugh. You being you...

S¡mon;104849457 said:
You, sir, are a monster.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE????

There is the infamous thread, then there is this thread. I'm all hyped-up people.

It's a good time to be a gamer. I have never been more excited for what's here now and for what's to come. Can't wait to have such immersing worlds to fuck off into when I need to take a time out from daily life.

What's got you most hyped about PSVR mate?

Mr.Green

Video game publishers don't care about industries that aren't video games. I don't even know what you're talking about.

Well I'm talking VR in general but obviously PS4 is the only thing that interests you, which brings us back to my original point...

Anyway, looking forward to see what Sony has up its sleeve. VR or not.

Quazar

Is this another case of over hyping GDC? WSJ said Sony and MS will announce this at GDC, anything else to indicate this?

kyser73

I read some interview where the Oculus people said they weren't concerned with PS4 / XBO since they don't have enough power to run games at 1080/60fps with high settings enabled. I figure Sony must have some solution for this or they'll be selling a fancy headset only for use on games that look like they belong in last gen. I feel like it wont work.

You misremembered what you read in an interview.

OR said they don't want the consoles because they are fixed tech, and they want something more iterative so they can continually improve the Rift, not that consoles aren't powerful enough.

You should probably do some reading about how VR changes the game for the kinds of stuff you need from graphics - for example, texture are a massive thing in 2D on a flat screen, but apparently are less of import than IQ (Res/FPS/AA) and lighting effects. Because you're 'inside' the game, your brain fills in a lot more stuff with fewer cues.

SighFight

How much time left now?

t1395189900z4.png

StuBurns

Banned
Well I'm talking VR in general but obviously PS4 is the only thing that interests you, which brings us back to my original point...

Anyway, looking forward to see what Sony has up its sleeve. VR or not.
You asked why people on GAF appear more excited about PS4 VR.

You didn't ask why the medical industry would be excited. Of course people on GAF care about video games more than the educational applications for VR.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If they don't manage to do this wireless with some sort of new crazy adapter to carry over the signal fast enough for 60fps x2 we will go back in time to an era where wires were crossing the living room / bedroom while you played.
It's stuff like this that keeps me dubious about the timing of this VR resurgence. It has to be wireless otherwise it'll be enormously kludgy for most living rooms. Even then, wireless isn't a guaranteed blessing since I can only imagine the size of the battery back, the battery life which will probably be limited regardless, not to mention the price for all this.

I can't really see VR pitched as a consumer-level product yet, maybe in conjunction with the PS4 as some sort of dedicated installation to bring back the arcade?

I'm preparing myself for a disappointment. Most likely they will tell the device exists and how it will work technically but no hardware or date or price

gazele

Banned
I'm preparing myself for a disappointment. Most likely they will tell the device exists and how it will work technically but no hardware or date or price

Yep, this is what I'm expecting

Just knowing it exists is great and all, but we pretty much know that already

I don't think it's anywhere close to coming out

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is this another case of over hyping GDC? WSJ said Sony and MS will announce this at GDC, anything else to indicate this?

WSJ didn't report that. They didn't say any announcement was on the cards from MS - just that they are working on VR/AR - but that an announcement is 'expected' from Sony.

The sources on this are, TechRadar, then Edge, then the Guardian. Other mainstream outlets like WSJ and the AP have been reporting on 'the expectation' that Sony will announce their VR tech here.

You misremembered what you read in an interview.

OR said they don't want the consoles because they are fixed tech, and they want something more iterative so they can continually improve the Rift, not that consoles aren't powerful enough.

You should probably do some reading about how VR changes the game for the kinds of stuff you need from graphics - for example, texture are a massive thing in 2D on a flat screen, but apparently are less of import than IQ (Res/FPS/AA) and lighting effects. Because you're 'inside' the game, your brain fills in a lot more stuff with fewer cues.

I will have to check that.

Does that mean that games would have to be re-worked a lot for VR optimization that wouldn't really need to be done if you had overly powerful hardware? That being the downside of console VR?

Quazar

WSJ didn't report that. They didn't say any announcement was on the cards from MS - just that they are working on VR/AR - but that an announcement is 'expected' from Sony.

The sources on this are, TechRadar, then Edge, then the Guardian. Other mainstream outlets like WSJ and the AP have been reporting on 'the expectation' that Sony will announce their VR tech here.

Thanks. Will be interesting if they do announce tech today. But....GDC is typically over hyped. Hopefully something exciting happens.

StuBurns

Banned

Does that mean that games would have to be re-worked a lot for VR optimization that wouldn't really need to be done if you had overly powerful hardware? That being the downside of console VR?
It's not exclusive to consoles.

No matter what you run VR on, you're going to have a worse graphical impression than traditional 2D panel play. It is a compromise everyone is going to have to deal with, if they choose to use VR.

EVIL

Thanks. Will be interesting if they do announce tech today. But....GDC is typically over hyped. Hopefully something exciting happens.

I think they will show, but announce nothing. (if they would, it would have been live streamed)

StuBurns

Banned
What!? No, I didn't.
I edited that post fifteen minutes ago, did you click reply then just leave the screen there? Bizarre.

Basically, you said some people here only care about VR because they're PlayStation fanboys, and you based this on the fact that you believe VR hype has risen with the rumour a PS4 VR headset is coming.

I said that's poor logic, because a console headset means much better publisher support. And people on GAF care about video games, shockingly.

You listed a bunch of completely unrelated uses of VR, and I can't imagine way, other than to suggest the Rift will sell well, but that doesn't impact publishers at all.

kyser73

It's not exclusive to consoles.

No matter what you run VR on, you're going to have a worse graphical impression than traditional 2D panel play. It is a compromise everyone is going to have to deal with, if they choose to use VR.

The upside of the compromise being that you're not a passive viewer interacting via the 4th wall, but actually on the stage in the performance.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oh, it's not live streamed? So this is all behind closed doors than?

It's open to all attendees, it's not NDA-ed or behind closed doors in that sense. But there is a strict prohibition on attendee filming. So you can expect information/reporting from the session, but not live video. Press releases or material from Sony also if any notable announcements are made. Maybe 'official' Sony video afterwards if we're lucky.

Top Bottom