• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: A Year Since Its Release, Sony Seems to Have Abandoned PlayStation VR2

I dont see how this would have helped them much, they might have sold more units but other than re4, Horizon and gt7, people would have bought the cheaper pc versions of games. It also would have scared away a bunch of the pc devs from porting games to psvr. It's just out of necessity now to sell the stock sitting everywhere......

Sony are doing it anyway. Besides, since vr is such a small market there really shouldnt be any exclusives imo. Just port stuff everywhere, the ps5 is strong enough to handle it.

Killjoy-NL

Sony are doing it anyway. Besides, since vr is such a small market there really shouldnt be any exclusives imo. Just port stuff everywhere, the ps5 is strong enough to handle it.
Agreed. Had a discussion with a co-worker about VR the other day.
Since VR is still pretty niche, I don't think it's beneficial for any company to worry about exclusivity.
Not if they all want to grow the VR-market, at least.

skit_data

The timing of this article is wierd, I'd agree fully a couple of months ago but it feels like a wierd thing to write this article when they just announced PC compatibility coming up.

Killjoy-NL

The timing of this article is wierd, I'd agree fully a couple of months ago but it feels like a wierd thing to write this article when they just announced PC compatibility coming up.
Don't want to turn this into console-wars, but literally every single time MS fucks up, there is a massive doom-and-gloom campaign regarding Sony.

A lot of the criticism is valid, but there most definitely is a pattern.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Agreed. Had a discussion with a co-worker about VR the other day.
Since VR is still pretty niche, I don't think it's beneficial for any company to worry about exclusivity.
Not if they all want to grow the VR-market, at least.

The problem is psvr 2 isn't expanding the vr market at all, they may sell even less than psvr2, and if it's not supported with exclusives nobody will buy psvr3. Not that it really matters anyhow, I'm a fan of psvr 2, quest 3, etc, but recognize in its current form its just too confined and bulky and not quite there.

The trick will be to get some true aaa games when the tech is there and appeals to a wider base, or it will still have issues with sales. (Just like any gaming machine)

Killjoy-NL

The problem is psvr 2 isn't expanding the vr market at all, they may sell even less than psvr2, and if it's not supported with exclusives nobody will buy psvr3. Not that it really matters anyhow, I'm a fan of psvr 2, quest 3, etc, but recognize in its current form its just too confined and bulky and not quite there.

The trick will be to get some true aaa games when the tech is there and appeals to a wider base, or it will still have issues with sales. (Just like any gaming machine)
I wasn't talking PSVR2 specifically, I'm talking VR as a whole.

Imo there should be a general push on and for all platforms by all companies.
And by that I don't mean that Quest should go to Playstation, btw.
Talking more about support and marketing.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I think this is a wrap for Sony's VR. I waited because I know Sony has a tendency of not supporting peripherals and other side projects they release. It seems they treat this the same way like Vita which doesn't surprise me. I completely lost interest in it over time and likely won't ever buy it. I did buy PSVR a year after release when it was about 150 ish, but that thing saw better support.

Its like Vita, better than its predecessor as a device but in terms of software its arguably worse.

I think VR will never really take off as intended.

CamHostage

The timing of this article is wierd,

PSVR2 came out Feb 22 last year, so this is a little late but is an anniversary assessment.

I'd agree fully a couple of months ago but it feels like a wierd thing to write this article when they just announced PC compatibility coming up.

Does that really change much? I don't see PC compatibility doing much of anything to increase PlayStation compatibility. (I guess an argument could be made that developers going through the process of adding support on PC versions might encourage them to consider porting, but adding control support is way less a challenge than adding a port to the release schedule.) It could move hardware (and maybe they could double-dip Horizon COTM since the Horizon series seems to do well on PC, also wasn't Gran Turismo 7 on the NVIDIA leak list?) and help them continue the supply line.

Sony Hardware R&D continuing its work doesn't to me indicate a change of tact from Sony PS WWS seemingly having abandoned VR game creation.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I think this is a wrap for Sony's VR. I waited because I know Sony has a tendency of not supporting peripherals and other side projects they release. It seems they treat this the same way like Vita which doesn't surprise me. I completely lost interest in it over time and likely won't ever buy it. I did buy PSVR a year after release when it was about 150 ish, but that thing saw better support.

Its like Vita, better than its predecessor as a device but in terms of software its arguably worse.

I think VR will never really take off as intended.
I think the problem is you gotta spend $1000. $450 console + $550 headset.

Meta Quest (standalone VR that doesn't require extra hardware) reportedly outsold PSVR2 30 to 1 on Amazon during the holidays. VR seems to be doing fine.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I wasn't talking PSVR2 specifically, I'm talking VR as a whole.

Imo there should be a general push on and for all platforms by all companies.
And by that I don't mean that Quest should go to Playstation, btw.
Talking more about support and marketing.

Not sure there is a fiscal arguement that supports that, at least not right now. Meta is losing money hand over fist on vr, but maybe that money spent would be returned 2x.
I suspect they have run the numbers though.....

Admittedly it doesn't feel like Sony has spent much on psvr2 marketing.

StueyDuck

I highly doubt Playstation is going to buckle over PSVR2. Lol
That's not what I'm saying, sony is obviously going to be fine. It's obvious times are not going great for these companies so I'm mocking IGN for putting out an idiot article designed for idiots about psvr2 when clearly the company isn't just flying head over heels in profit and being able to afford to experiment and take losses.

It's like moaning about Nintendos support of labo 🤣.

Yeah I love vr and want it supported but if the choice is vr and everything struggles or we write off psvr2 to continue everything else I'm gonna say writing it off is the right choice.

If Sony do add PC support then i might even buy one, my Rift s is seeing its days now and psvr 2 all things considered is a great product.

Markio128

The funniest thing for me is that I’ve more than had my monies worth from PSVR2 - over 200 hours just on GT7 and Beat Saber. I don’t think I even managed 50 hours on my Series X before I sold it.

One thing I do agree with though is the lack of 1st party VR news, but then, Sony 1st party news of any kind isn’t exactly rife.

evanft

It was too expensive and didn't have enough software support. Not making it backwards compatible with PSVR1 titles was a massive mistake.

Robb

Gold Member
l6FcPSr.jpeg

Topher

Gold Member
So while VR2 is forgotten, PlayStation Portal seems to be a huge hit, but slow in getting replenished stock.

What's going on with you, Sony?

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don’t understand how people didn’t see this coming. VR is an incredibly small niche market, it will never be relevant as a full scale go to for gamers. Not any time soon at least.
The Meta Quest sold well over 20 millions alone.. You're partly right tho, the VR market is indeed volatile, and VR in general has a HUGE retention problem. It's a new technology in its early days. Current form factor and technology is still a no-no for mass market adoption. But the near future potential market for VR is much much larger than the market for consoles once the main issues are solved.

But Sony obviously played the wrong hand here, the PSVR2 made little sense for its time. It was bad timing, and many of us (VR enthusiasts) "warned" about it.

Killjoy-NL

But Sony obviously played the wrong hand here, the PSVR2 made little sense for its time. It was bad timing, and many of us (VR enthusiasts) "warned" about it.
I doubt many PSVR2-users expected it to be a major hit.

More curious about what Sony's expectations were.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Was clear as day that it wouldn’t be supported. Without the install base, no software company will prioritise it. Without the software, it’ll never penetrate the mass market. Chicken and egg situation but the end result is the same. VR is niche, and always will be.

Sony investing in this and Portal is so complexing to me. A Vita 2 would sell 20m in Japan alone, even if it just had remote play, indies and some PS4 ports. Plus they’d get their 30% cut on everything.

I just don’t get it.
What’s there to get?

At the end of the day, Sony stans are just the same as MS and Nintendo stans: they’ll buy everything their favorite company offers.
For MS, it’s controllers, apparel, branded food, and the occasional big game.
For Nintendo, it’s games and cardboard and obsolete hardware.
Sony understood that they can ask a premium for hardware that will reach 95% of its potential audience in a year, so they can abandon it faster and laugh all the way to the bank. Meanwhile buyers are left wondering how their predictions of a bright blue-colored future could have been wrong.

The day will come when Sony strikes gold again and all those people will be like “this could never have happened without Portal / PSVR 1 and 2 died so we could have this!” and lots of “I’m doing my part!” gifs will be posted.

Killjoy-NL

What’s there to get?

At the end of the day, Sony stans are just the same as MS and Nintendo stans: they’ll buy everything their favorite company offers.
For MS, it’s controllers, apparel, branded food, and the occasional big game.
For Nintendo, it’s games and cardboard and obsolete hardware.
Sony understood that they can ask a premium for hardware that will reach 95% of its potential audience in a year, so they can abandon it faster and laugh all the way to the bank. Meanwhile buyers are left wondering how their predictions of a bright blue-colored future could have been wrong.

The day will come when Sony strikes gold again and all those people will be like “this could never have happened without Portal / PSVR 1 and 2 died so we could have this!” and lots of “I’m doing my part!” gifs will be posted.
And PC isn't any different, pushing expensive hardware that's gobbled up by spec-nerds, while games are mostly underutilizing and unoptimized for said hardware.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Not sure how PC compatibility helps make the case that Sony’s providing strong support for the peripheral for PS5 owners.

Don't want to turn this into console-wars, but literally every single time MS fucks up, there is a massive doom-and-gloom campaign regarding Sony.

A lot of the criticism is valid, but there most definitely is a pattern.

How is one article from IGN at around the anniversary of the PSVR2 launch a big conspiracy? What’s that got to do with Xbox?

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

I doubt many PSVR2-users expected it to be a major hit.

More curious about what Sony's expectations were.

The general expectation was that it would be more successful than PSVR 1 and get more support.

Killjoy-NL

How is one article from IGN at around the anniversary of the PSVR2 launch a big conspiracy? What’s that got to do with Xbox?
What makes you think I'm talking only about this particular article?

You know very well what I'm referring to.
It's like clockwork and I'm not the only one noticing.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sony literally has to fire 900 people and close a studio because the industry isn't doing well..

Ign: SoNy haZ GiVen UP oN Vr2 durrr...

No shit ign... they clearly can't have any expenses right now that aren't absolutely vital to the business.

I love vr but in their position they clearly have to axe the product if they want to stay in the game.

I wasn't sure if this was a joke when I first read it!

Sony chose to lay people off, they could have swallowed that wage bill, but for whatever reason they want to increase profitability. It's the same as the other layoffs, but it is a choice, not an insurmountable challenge.

As for selling a peripheral that's more expensive than your console and then saying "actually, nah, not doing it" a year later? Incredibly poor form that shouldn't be hand waved away because the biggest player in the industry wants more money and that's ok.

Ozriel

M$FT

The press isn’t allowed to report on layoffs at Sony, allegations of mismanagement at FireSprite, amid high attrition rates and canceled projects announced by Sony themselves?

Sony missing hardware sales target and having $10bn shaved off their market cap over declining profit margins was big news, and drew comments from their CEO. Should that have been swept under the table?

What’s ‘clockwork’ about current news?

8gmTnKE.jpg

Nobody’s ’dooming and glooming’ about Sony. The PS5 is still the overwhelmingly dominant high end console platform and ecosystem. Everyone agrees with that. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Zathalus

There is massive doom and gloom about Xbox all the time as well. Neither PS nor Xbox 'DOOM!' articles are a nefarious plot by the competing organization, it's just the most efficient way of generating news and thus clicks. IGN does this all the time on Twitter, and it always gets everyone retweeting the article or post in anger - mission accomplished.

FeralEcho

They have like 30 internal studios in total and many barely manage to release a game every 4-5 years.They aren't gonna waste their studios on releasing major games on this thing and waste precious dev manpower when it takes so long to release one project these days.

Anyone who bought this thing should've seen this coming from a mile away.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They have like 30 internal studios in total and many barely manage to release a game every 4-5 years.They aren't gonna waste their studios on releasing major games on this thing and waste precious dev manpower when it takes so long to release one project these days.

Anyone who bought this thing should've seen this coming from a mile away.
Yes, it's the people who bought PSVR2's fault. The idiots.

Sony literally has to fire 900 people and close a studio because the industry isn't doing well..

Ign: SoNy haZ GiVen UP oN Vr2 durrr...

No shit ign... they clearly can't have any expenses right now that aren't absolutely vital to the business.

I love vr but in their position they clearly have to axe the product if they want to stay in the game.
Axe the product? That would explain why they are working on PC compatibility and had a VR showcase not long ago...

Majukun

that has been Sony's modus operandi for years, release additional hardware (or hardware features) just to tick a checkmark, but then never actually have any idea or project to support it.

Markio128

I’m not sure how much intention there was from Sony to support the headset with 1st party content - or to just provide an alternative platform for developers already in the space.

Saying that, they have provided 2 games, with GT7 and Horizon - which isn’t much worse than what they have provided in the last 12 months in general.

Personally, I think it needs more support from the bigger 3rd parties, than Sony itself. This is my main beef. However, Sony need to throw some cash/support at them for this to happen.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Heard some rumors last year about Half Life Alyx and hybrid titles or something for PSVR2

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Maybe it's unpopular opinion but why people keep talking that Sony abandoned PSVR2? I don't think so, really.
We are in a middle of a crisis, and probably not only in gaming. Also PSVR2 have some very big hits. Some of them worth PSVR2 alone (GT7 for example).
Yes Quest have more games but it was building it's library all those years and quality of most of those games is very poor. I mean if you get PSVR2 now you have plenty of must-play titles. For me (personally) PSVR2 have more games I want to play than PS5 itself.

Killjoy-NL

There is massive doom and gloom about Xbox all the time as well. Neither PS nor Xbox 'DOOM!' articles are a nefarious plot by the competing organization, it's just the most efficient way of generating news and thus clicks. IGN does this all the time on Twitter, and it always gets everyone retweeting the article or post in anger - mission accomplished.
Yes, that was pretty much my point.

Thanks for pointing it out, as there is quite a difference between PS and Xbox atm.

TrebleShot

Sadly its too bespoke,
- Only for Playstation consoles
- Exclusively uses fresnel lenses which are horrible
- Doesnt work on PC
- Need proprietary controllers to work
- Does not have any social apps like big picture, vr chat
- Doesnt support VR versions of Prime, Netflix etc
- Cant watch your own offline content from media pc etc
- Costs more than the standalone options
- Passthrough is B&W and generally terrible
- Is tethered, doesnt even have a streaming option
- Locked into the sony store, cant use library you may have on steam already.

Its a huge miss on Sonys part and quite a spectacular swing and miss considering a few months later the Quest 3 released and addressed all those issues above and is smaller and neater to use.

They would be wise to quietly drop support and let it fade into memory.
The portal has completely blown it out the water and shows what customers really want from gaming in 2024.

PSVR 1/2, PS Vita, PlayStation Move.

They always create these mid-gen hardware experiments just to see how the market response. The market hasn't responded strong enough for them to invest or change their strategy towards it. They failed in the handheld market, and now also in the VR market.

I'd like to get a PS Portal too, but I just don't trust that Sony will make the improvements it needs to be a truly great device, but also - they kill things off too quickly for me to invest in their hardware anymore.

A main entry in the home console market, is the only thing I trust them for now. But even then, they've significantly scaled back their output with 1st party games. 2023 and 2024, is pretty dead outside of Spiderman 2 and FFVII Rebirth; both existing IPs, one isn't even made by their studios.

It seems like they're really struggling lately.

Killjoy-NL

PSVR 1/2, PS Vita, PlayStation Move.
I do wonder if Sony is planning all this stuff long-term, while we are too focused on the short-term results.

Sony released the EyeToy for PS2. It was a fun gadget, but meh.

Then Sony released the Moves for PS3, which were fun and made use of the PS3 camera, but meh.

Then came PSVR for PS4, which made use of both the PS camera and Moves. It was a solid first entry, but held back by PS4 hardware.
Sony introduced PS4 Pro as well, to boost PSVR performance.

Now we have PSVR2, which is a great device and has it's technological advancements irt cameras and controls based on results and feedback from PSVR.

Similarly, we can see an evolution of PSP, PS Vita and PS Portal, in particular irt Remote Play (and possibly cloud-gaming in the future on a handheld device?).

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Can't wait for Sony to bring out PSVR3 for Playstation 6 and abandon it...
Can't wait for the new Playstation handheld only to have Sony abandon it...

Does Sony think its dominance means it can just throw tech into the market and promptly forget about it? So bizzare!!! Try not bothering if you can only support your main console...

Last edited:
Top Bottom